• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Does anyone have a list of the games that were already on sale? I missed the first day. Is there a gdoc floating around somewhere?

Can someone please tell me which games does the Tom Clancy franchise have? And is Orcs Must Die 1 also discounted, or only OMD2? And if I have none of the OMD games, should I just grab the second one or the franchise pack?

end war, advanced warfighter, advanced warfighter 2, ghost recon, ghost recon desert siege, ghost recon island thunder, ghost recon future soldier, future soldier DLC arctic strike, hawx, hawx 2, rainbow 6 gold, rainbow 6 lockdown, rainbow 6 vegas, vegas 2, splinter cell, splinter cell chaos theory, splinter cell conviction, splinter cell conviction insurgency pack, splinter cell double agent

I think thats all of them.

Does anyone have a list of the games that were already on sale? I missed the first day. Is there a gdoc floating around somewhere?

First day dailies are still on sale and on the front page.

Grief.exe

Click here to make Steam snow

0GNEI.png

Effect

Are odds extremely low that Black Ops 2 might go on sale? Amazon.com has the digital version for $49.79 now and wondering if I should bite or hold out.

Edit: Edited the price.

nexen

Are odds extremely low that Black Ops 2 might go on sale? Amazon.com has the digital version for $49.95 now and wondering if I should bite or hold out.

If it goes on sale I bet it wont be more than $5 off. I always have to wait for the stars to align and awaken the elder gods before I find a good deal on a COD game.

PlayDat

I won't be buying Psychonauts only because I've already played through it on the PS2. Definitely recommend it for those who haven't tried it yet though. I remember hearing on the Tested podcast that there's some new version of the game for PC that made the ending easier. Any truth to that? If true that's probably not the one on Steam anyway.

Which of these Tom Clancy titles are must-buys? (I realize almost anything at $3 is a must buy, but there are so many)

I have never played a single Tom Clancy game. I will at least purchase the HAWX games since I enjoy aerial shooters.

would love to know too so many choices

It is a very fun platformer with a lot of heart. The worlds you visit are extremely different visually, and the characters/writing are top notch stuff. It has a couple of rough edges here and there, but it's a brilliant little game. I hope you enjoy. : )

Just bought it. For 2.24. You really can't go wrong for that price.
I wonder if Arkham Asylum and Super Street Fighter IV AE will get the 75% discount treatment.

nexen

would love to know too so many choices

Depends on your tastes.

If you can handle xbox1/ps2 era games:
Rainbow Six 3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

If you are ok with early x360 era:
Vegas 2
GRAW1 (not sure about the port, haven't played much. X360 one was great though)
Maybe SC Conviction, if you can mentally divide it from the other SC games.

edit: I personally think that Vegas 2 is the best Tom Clancy game that has ever been made. Just slightly better than R61 and R63.
Rainbow 6 1 has aged very poorly though.

Grief.exe

All this MGSV talk has kind of put me in the mood for some stealth games.

Instead of playing through MGS2 or 3 on emulator, I might as well play a game I've never played before.

Picking up Chaos Theory right now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Click on the listing and it will always show you the individual titles in the packs:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/wintersale2012_tomclancyfranchise
Yeah I know that, but Steam is blocked here at work.

end war, advanced warfighter, advanced warfighter 2, ghost recon, ghost recon desert siege, ghost recon island thunder, ghost recon future soldier, future soldier DLC arctic strike, hawx, hawx 2, rainbow 6 gold, rainbow 6 lockdown, rainbow 6 vegas, vegas 2, splinter cell, splinter cell chaos theory, splinter cell conviction, splinter cell conviction insurgency pack, splinter cell double agent

I think thats all of them.
Thanks a lot. All of that for 60 bucks? It's not excessive, but I'll pass anyway, it's too much money for me.

I'm Alive look interesting and then I saw the metacritic rating and this review:

I Am Alive has an interesting concept, that doesn't quite become the game it wants to be. Between the finicky platforming and trial and error combat encounters, the game has a punishing respawn system that will kick you back 15 to 60 minutes of gameplay should you run out of extra lives. For a survival horror game, these elements feel draconian and antiquated, reeking a bit too much of old school Japanese design that really doesn't translate into modern games. Despite all of that, the bleakness of the game is a real highpoint, and combat encounters can -- for a while -- be quiet intuitive when you get into the swing of it. I suggest playing this game on "Easy" unless you're really into punishing design, as the only thing to change between difficulties is how many lives you get.

I'd recommend I Am Alive for when it's on sale, assuming you can tolerate the poor gameplay for some genuinely good atmosphere.

2/5 STARS - KRITZ.NET
(This review isn't actually on Kritz.net go away)

Grief.exe

Depends on your tastes.

If you can handle xbox1/ps2 era games:
Rainbow Six 3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

If you are ok with early x360 era:
Vegas 2
GRAW1 (not sure about the port, haven't played much. X360 one was great though)
Maybe SC Conviction, if you can mentally divide it from the other SC games.

How is the Vegas 2 port?

Does the co-op work?

The_Monk

All this MGSV talk has kind of put me in the mood for some stealth games.

Instead of playing through MGS2 or 3 on emulator, I might as well play a game I've never played before.

Picking up Chaos Theory right now.

I know I may be in the minority saying this but... Velvet Assassin was good enough and it's 75% OFF which makes this deal really good. I may get it since I think I missed an older bundle with it. But let's wait and see.

nexen

I'm Alive look interesting and then I saw the metacritic rating and this review:

Glad I bought it. That sounds right up my alley, as long as easy actually nerfs the bad design decisions.

How is the Vegas 2 port?

Does the co-op work?

Only tried it SP and did the co-op missions in single player, so I can't speak about co-op.
In SP both gametypes played exactly like the console version except that the AI was much quicker on the draw and a much better shot.

Vegas 2 is a fun game, but it's a shadow of the tactical shooter the series used to be. Rainbow Six 3 is the pinnacle, but it is quite dated. The GRAW PC games are quite good, they're throwback tactical shooters ala R63, although not quite as good.

Avoid Vegas 1. The PC port doesn't even support widescreen, if I remember right.

Pyronite

Vegas 2 is a fun game, but it's a shadow of the tactical shooter the series used to be. Rainbow Six 3 is the pinnacle, but it is quite dated. The GRAW PC games are quite good, they're throwback tactical shooters ala R63, although not quite as good.

Rogue Spear was totally the pinnacle.

Wish the oldest Red Storm games were on Steam.

Yeah I know that, but Steam is blocked here at work.

Thanks a lot. All of that for 60 bucks? It's not excessive, but I'll pass anyway, it's too much money for me.

3 of those games are $5 (future soldier arctic strike DLC, Hawx 2, Splinter Cell Conviction) 1 is $15 (Future Soldier), the rest are individually either 2.50 or 1.25.

Avoid Vegas 1. The PC port doesn't even support widescreen, if I remember right.

i thought it got patched in? I remember playing my disc version in widescreen, but maybe that was a fan patch.

What's wrong with Black Ops and Black Ops 2 PC? Serious question, I want both.

Black Ops 2 is a fucking great PC port and Treyarch has been supporting/patching the hell out of it. The PC experience has been very good. As far as I have played of COD4 and heard of the rest, every other COD games on PC has been hacked to hell. Maybe not Black Ops 1 because of dedicated servers, but I am not sure.

nexen

Rogue Spear was totally the pinnacle.

Wish the oldest Red Storm games were on Steam.

The early Rainbow Six games are so very niche. They were awesome when they came out but damned if they aren't nigh unplayable for me now.

edit: how on earth does Vegas 1 not support widescreen? It was an x360 port. That's extremely bizarre.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Isn't the glitch mostly fixable by lowering the graphics?

Fan patches are mostly for general use, like the networking patch to fix Sim routing.

I have the good old discs for Sim City 4 + Rush Hour. Is it easy to use mods with the Steam version of deluxe? Specifically the NAM network mod. My discs are not in the best of shape, and I'd gladly pay the $5.00 to have it on Steam, as long as I can use the NAM mod with it.

I'm glad my version isn't on Steam, I'd shudder to see how many hours I've spent with SC4...o_O

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
What were the original flash sales?

I don't agree with that review at all. I never had any problems with the platforming and there is nothing about the combat that is trial and error. And as long as you're willing to do a little bit of exploring, finding retries should never be a problem (I played it on the hardest difficulty).

Alex

Kinda want I am Alive, any recommendations for it? I like the kind of setting/vibe it has although the aesthetics seem rather blargh.

I won't be buying Psychonauts only because I've already played through it on the PS2. Definitely recommend it for those who haven't tried it yet though. I remember hearing on the Tested podcast that there's some new version of the game for PC that made the ending easier. Any truth to that? If true that's probably not the one on Steam anyway.
They did. And they ONLY did so on the Steam version.

Kinda want I am Alive, any recommendations for it? I like the kind of setting/vibe it has although the aesthetics seem rather blargh.

There appears to be a color mod which makes things look better. I'd post an image, but I'm on my phone. Google it maybe?

Grief.exe

What's wrong with Black Ops and Black Ops 2 PC? Serious question, I want both.

Probably nothing.

The negativity probably stems from people looking down on CoD on PC because it is a casual shooter, compared to the more skill based shooters.

Using the webpage in firefox gets you square snowflakes. They do use a webkit property I guess.

btw you can click several times. Will hurt performance a lot though

lol I might have just crashed the client, clicked about 100 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom