• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMERG0D

What's wrong with Black Ops and Black Ops 2 PC? Serious question, I want both.

I mean you can go for it but CoD 4 is like the only one that is good with mods. IW/Treyarch have been shafting modders for years now and seem to support the Xbox 360 more.

Definitely browse through the heavily discounted items.

Here's a few things I'm interested in / really enjoyed.

WAIT FOR DAILY DEALS ON EVERYTHING (unless a flash deal comes up)
Hotline Miami is a fantastically fun title, and it's just $7.49, at the moment.
Gemini Rue is a recent point and click that's only $5
Hell Yeah! is currently 50% off for $5
The Deponia games have got a good buzz going for them and they're all discounted too.
The Monkey Island bundle is a must-have if you haven't played them before.
I watched my brother play Botcanicula last year, and it was really enjoyable. Just $2.49.
Alpha Protocol is one of the best games I've played this generation, and it's 50%.
Audio Surf is a must own, and it's just $2.49. Creates tracks to play a sort of matching/puzzle game on using your music library.
Bastion is a brilliant game with lovely art and music for 50% off, currently.
The original Mass Effect is 50% off, and still one of my favorite titles this gen.
Both Puzzle Agent titles are super cheap, and I really had fun with them.
Psychonauts and Super Meat Boy are both half off.
Walking Dead is a MUST OWN, as far as I'm concerned.
Witcher and Witcher 2 are both fantastic western rpgs, and I highly recommend them. Witcher 1 is dirt cheap, at the moment, and witcher 2 is worth the current asking price (though wait for a potential deal)
I haven't played it yet, but To The Moon is getting some great word of mouth. I have it installed and ready to go as my next play. Just $5 currently.
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is only 25% off right now, but I'd bet it will go on sale at some point during this event. Get it when it does, and then read this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435808

Considering Psychonauts just became a daily deal and I never played it.
I'll check it out.

Considering Psychonauts just became a daily deal and I never played it.
I'll check it out.
It is a very fun platformer with a lot of heart. The worlds you visit are extremely different visually, and the characters/writing are top notch stuff. It has a couple of rough edges here and there, but it's a brilliant little game. I hope you enjoy. : )

I hear good things about the F.E.A.R. franchise; aside from number 3, which I've been warned is something of a disappointment. Should I just get the bundle, or go for the first 2 games only?

I hear good things about the F.E.A.R. franchise; aside from number 3, which I've been warned is something of a disappointment. Should I just get the bundle, or go for the first 2 games only?

Get the entire bundle if you've never played them, play them all, they are great play em and forget em experiences.

Fear 3 isn't bad at all... and pretty fun particularly in co-op. It just doesn't hold up well against FEAR 1, but really not much can.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone please tell me which games does the Tom Clancy franchise have? And is Orcs Must Die 1 also discounted, or only OMD2? And if I have none of the OMD games, should I just grab the second one or the franchise pack?

nexen

FEAR 3 was decent. Supposedly playing at the dead brother is interesting, but I never tried it.
I liked FEAR 2 the best.
FEAR 1 bored me to tears, except that it had excellent gunplay.

I mean you can go for it but CoD 4 is like the only one that is good with mods. IW/Treyarch have been shafting modders for years now and seem to support the Xbox 360 more.

Oh, good. Don't really care about mods. I liked BLOPS quite a bit on x360 and the near-future stuff of BLOPS2 has my interest very piqued.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
lxz40.jpg

Seriously, Psychonauts has some of the most enjoyable writing, characters, and settings in any game I've ever played.

4OO0Dm.jpg

Join us on the road crew. We are all part of the road crew. See my sign?
This man knows what he's talking about. Listen to him and buy Psychonauts. Or even better, get the whole Double Fine pack.

"What's the purpose of the goggles?"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Go get SimCity 4 Deluxe - it's probably more worth it than the incoming SimCity game.

There are some really nasty visual glitches and performance issues when playing on modern hardware, though. I found out the hard way. Be sure to drop by the Steam forums and see what you gotta do to get it fixed up before you purchase it.

PlayDat

I grabbed Hitman: Blood Money yesterday and I think I'll pick up FEAR 1 today for $2.50. I've had my eye on that one for a while. I was hoping to get Torchlight II but at $10 it's still too much for me.

Also a daily Deal on Fallout: New Vegas: Ultimate Edition would be real nice. I played through the main game on the 360 but a bug prevented me from seeing all the endings and I skipped out on the DLC last time so starting fresh should be fun.

Good to hear. I disliked MW2 and MW3.
I just play for SP though.

Have you ever played a Treyarch Call of Duty campaign?

They design horribly paced single-player missions, IMO. They throw SCORES of enemies at you seemingly to pad the length of the game. It's nonstop action, with no time to catch your breath. I get sick and tired of it by the end of one mission.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Which of these Tom Clancy titles are must-buys? (I realize almost anything at $3 is a must buy, but there are so many)

I have never played a single Tom Clancy game. I will at least purchase the HAWX games since I enjoy aerial shooters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There are some really nasty visual glitches and performance issues when playing on modern hardware, though. I found out the hard way. Be sure to drop by the Steam forums and see what you gotta do to get it fixed up before you purchase it.

Isn't the glitch mostly fixable by lowering the graphics?

Like are the fixes fan patches, or do you have to just deal with some of it and mitigate problems with settings? I'd be down to get it if its like getting Bloodlines running, not so much if I need a degree in CS.

Fan patches are mostly for general use, like the networking patch to fix Sim routing.

LuuKyK

I was literally one click away from buying it. You just made me reconsider it. :|

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Fear 2 DLC any good? I mean to buy FEAR 1 +2 every sale, this time I am buying it!
I liked it, but it's rather short (I beat it in 6 hours on the hardest difficulty, but many people were able to finish it in 4 hours or even less).

Mmm... Depending on your budget, I'd get them all just for franchise completionism. And we may be able to play some co-op someday, if you want; I haven't tried the online yet.

Pyronite

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Like are the fixes fan patches, or do you have to just deal with some of it and mitigate problems with settings? I'd be down to get it if its like getting Bloodlines running, not so much if I need a degree in CS.

It's not gonna be as "easy" as Bloodlines since there's a variety of issues that require a variety of solutions, rather then one bulk file that can be downloaded.

Everyone buying Sim City 4 will need this link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1879359

Munin

And why can't IOI/Eidos fix the licensing issues with Hitman: Contracts, I want that on Steam :((( It can't be that hard to replace a single mp3 file...

nexen

Have you ever played a Treyarch Call of Duty campaign?

They design horribly paced single-player missions, IMO. They throw SCORES of enemies at you seemingly to pad the length of the game. It's nonstop action, with no time to catch your breath. I get sick and tired of it by the end of one mission.

I liked BLOPs a lot, even though I found the ending ridiculous. I remember one or two parts annoying me for the reason you state, actually (two vietnam missions, one at a US base and the other in the city), but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

I don't recall liking WaW at all though.

How is the Chaos Theory port? Thinking about picking that one up.

Seems like the biggest problems are in the versus mode

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Splinter_Cell:_Chaos_Theory

I had no trouble with the SP, save the dated interface and controls. Didn't try the MP.

peoplethatarenotme said:
HAWX is good/great
For a counterpoint: I cannot stand HAWX. The planes are very poorly simulated, even for an arcade flight combat game. They don't have any real nuance to them at all. They feel like magical cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom