• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I know soon there will be people complaining that they got their games at a too high price since they didn't wait for dailies or flash sales. So let this image help you on your quest of not buying it instantly.
pjox4m8x.jpg

I have been waiting for Shogun 2 to get a discount for a month or so now. It's on 50% now.
Maybe it'll hit 75% in a few days.

The next few days will be torture.

There's too much to choose from when your steam library is barely over 40 games. I had a moment of panic when I bought the parts for my gaming rig last month, questioning whether I'd done the right thing, or whether the money was better spent elsewhere. This steam sale makes me warm and fuzzy inside, and tells me my money was well spent. I hear good things about the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, so may pick those up. I just need to pace myself, otherwise I'll blow through my steam wallet in a matter of days.

confuziz

Banned
reposting from last page :

Gifted a game to someone, but he hasn't got it yet, I haven't gotten a confirmation of the purchase either..weird

sleepykyo

The deals will only get better, what's to complain about?

Somebody in the Steam thread noted that Capcom (yeah I should have known better) made a post about how they expected a lot of activity today. And to be fair 50% is pretty good for them. Still, I wanted to see how bad ORC is, but not to the tune of $35 for the whole package.

seems like the past few sales have had awful day 1 deals as well. might be a ploy to ride the sale hyped and get people to splurge on day 1? who knows.

wait until tomorrow i guess

Feel a bit underwhelmed.

Hitman Absolution is $30, but Amazon had it for $20.

Borderlands 2 was already $30 last month. Season Pass isn't on sale.

Anyone looking at the Prince of Persia games, don't buy The Forgotten Sands or the bundle if you don't want to support Ubisoft's always-online DRM.

Ah, bollocks. I was on the brink of adding it to my cart, but I really don't want to deal with draconian DRM, so I'll pass.

EDIT: Just read Karmacow's post, so I'm back on the brink again.

I asked this last page, but nobody answered, so I'll ask again; how does the SoT trilogy fare against the abysmal HD collection on the PS3?

PaulLFC

Looked at Steam Sales... saw no metagame ripe for exploitation.

Saw the titles available and at the discount levels.

Knew GAF would be in meltdown about it.

Clicked on GAF.

Not disappointed.

In other news, I loved the achievement hunt that included a bunch of games I never would have played otherwise. Absolutely loved it. It's a bummer that something like that is not happening this year.
That's my main annoyance with this year's sale. I feel a bit bad complaining about a sale because they don't have to do one, but up until now the Winter sales at the very least have all had a big differentiating feature from past sales. By comparison this year seems a bit lazy to be honest - it's practically the same as the summer sale but with less games discounted per day, so at the moment, it's worse.

Skirn

If you like adventure games;

Broken Sword trilogy is 80 % off - 2 euro

Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking of searching through the attic for the game discs, but I think I'd rather just pay 2 euro's and be done with.

Now, if only Mark of the Ninja and Resonance would go down to 66-75%.

jediyoshi

Amazon's sale has been going and they've had better deals.

Uh, no?

Borderlands 2 $44.99
Borderlands 2 $29.99

Wargame: European Escalation $10
Wargame: European Escalation $9.99

Scribblenauts Unlimited $19.99
Scribblenauts Unlimited $20.09

Mirror's Edge $15.12
Mirror's Edge $4.99

Prince of Persia $7.76
Prince of Persia $2.49

What are you going on about?

KarmaCow

Batman: AC for 7.50 seems pretty amazing to me even if other places have had the same sale.

If it were 5 I might double dip for a steam copy, but the game had enough DRM layers already.

Steam sale plans.

Gift L4D2, Portal 2, and maybe the Orange Box. Gift a decent racing game to someone else.

Grab two or three titles for myself at most if they are exceptional bargains. Steam backlog has put me off buying much else.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I know soon there will be people complaining that they got their games at a too high price since they didn't wait for dailies or flash sales. So let this image help you on your quest of not buying it instantly.
pjox4m8x.jpg

Source for this comic, for those who want to check out more works of the author.

http://chromaengine.com/media/disconnected/

--

On-topic: I'm a bit surprised at the fact that people at calling it a bad sale. C'mon people, it's barely the first day.

Uh, no?

Borderlands 2 $44.99
Borderlands 2 $29.99

Wargame: European Escalation $10
Wargame: European Escalation $9.99

Scribblenauts Unlimited $19.99
Scribblenauts Unlimited $20.09

Mirror's Edge $15.12
Mirror's Edge $4.99

Prince of Persia $7.76
Prince of Persia $2.49

What are you going on about?

What are you trying to prove? Over the past months, Amazon has been consistently beating Steam in sale prices. Your few examples don't change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom