• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like some Acti games went missing today. The 007 games are nowhere to be found.

Is Activision going to create their own PC game distribution platform? Wait . . . they already have one called Battle.net, right? Maybe all Activision PC games will get distributed on that ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is Activision going to create their own PC game distribution platform? Wait . . . they already have one called Battle.net, right? Maybe all Activision PC games will get distributed on that ?

I'd think the non-Steamworks Call of Duty games would be among the first to go if that were the case.

Amazon made all the 2k pack unavailable. Can't add them to cart. Price change on the dual pack I'm guessing so no more free Bioshock 1 and 2 anymore.

Eusis

There we go, Secret World went down on Amazon (guess without being a Steam key that's technically out of the topic's domain), and my credit shot up $15 even after getting that game. So, huh, going to keep an eye on deals in the future. Maybe I'll go to hell with it and get ME3 on PC just to complete the trilogy on PC, even if playing through on 360 sapped most of my desire for that.

hym

Banned

It was scheduled for 2012 Q1 but now that Vivendi is looking for a buyer of their game divisions I think it's safe to assume Blizzard and Activision will prefer not to increase dependency on each other given the uncertain future. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we get an isolated service from Activision in the trend of uplay/origin instead.

IwXyO.jpg

dani_dc

It wouldn't surprise me if they lost or gave up the bond license tbqh. They've never done anything worthwhile with it, and the only game in their series they put out that did even "okay" by Bobby Kotick's standard was GE Wii. Seeing as they shuttered Eurocom (who has been making bond titles for over a decade) it wouldn't surprise me if they just gave up on them.

Who knows what happened to Blur, though.

The cars in Blur were licensed, it's possible that the license to some of them ran out.

Speevy

Banned
Now, I have to imagine that there are a great many hoarders of those Bioshock codes, and I don't get it at all. Pennies. Probably selling in the Buy/Sell thread, just silly.

It won't make you rich, or decrease the size of your backlog. Give them out! Come on everybody.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Now, I have to imagine that there are a great many hoarders of those Bioshock codes, and I don't get it at all. Pennies. Probably selling in the Buy/Sell thread, just silly.

It won't make you rich, or decrease the size of your backlog. Give them out! Come on everybody.

Giving mine out later today, when it isn't just the night owls. :p.

Danj

I think we should rename this thread to 'sales that are better than steam discussion'

To be fair, when other sites are discussed here it's normally in relation to Steamworks games that register on Steam, so it's not like it's not related to Steam.

JaseC

What other Activision games were pulled?
Seems both Bizarre titles are gone. Maybe the rights might be changing hands (hopefully)?

If that's the case, it's still impossible to know when the games will reappear. The publishing rights to Wolf09 transferred to Bethesda almost a year ago, not long after it was a Daily for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the land, but the game still hasn't been put back up under Bethesda's name.

mrgone

So, I'm thinking about getting the Hero Academy Gold Pack. It seems pretty fun. What's GAF's opinion on it though?

I think the GAF consensus was that it's a good game with a somewhat questionable pricing/DLC model. The gold pack at 75% off seems like the way to go :) Also, it's Greg Kasavin's number 3 game of 2012! Also! TF2 hats. :p

What other Activision games were pulled?
Seems both Bizarre titles are gone. Maybe the rights might be changing hands (hopefully)?

As for Bizarre, The Club (published by Sega) still lives! That game's actually pretty good, too! People didn't really cotton to the racing/shooting hybrid, I guess, but it's good fun if you have a high tolerance for digging a little through some (mostly tongue-in-cheek) baditude.

If that's the case, it's still impossible to know when the games will reappear. The rights to Wolf09 transferred to Bethesda almost a year ago, not long after it was a Daily for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the land, but the game still hasn't been put back up under Bethesda's name.

Yeah after seeing QoS and 007 Legends gone it must have simply been end of 2012 rights expiring. Maybe it is another renegotiation like what happened with GTA VC that got pulled from Steam but strange that it is spread over a few franchises. Could be the deal with Steam or a middleware provider that all the games used?

Tizoc

I think the GAF consensus was that it's a good game with a somewhat questionable pricing/DLC model. The gold pack at 75% off seems like the way to go :) Also, it's Greg Kasavin's number 3 game of 2012! Also! TF2 hats. :p
How's the Single player mode in it?

JaseC

Yeah after seeing QoS and 007 Legends gone it must have simply been end of 2012 rights expiring. Maybe it is another renegotiation like what happened with GTA VC that got pulled from Steam but strange that it is spread over a few franchises. Could be the deal with Steam or a middleware provider that all the games used?

I'd imagine it's just a case of Activision's contract regarding the Bond license and its use for video games expiring. It's changed hands over the years, after all.

On that note it seems nothing was taken out of the radio in GTA VC when it was put back up yet the Australian store page says 'Buy Grand Theft Auto: Vice City New Audio AU'. Any word on what the change was?

I'd imagine it's just a case of Activision's contract regarding the Bond license and its use for video games expiring. It's changed hands over the years, after all.

Strange that Blur has gone though. :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh boy, this is going to be the first Steam Winter sale I didn't buy anything for! I guess it's because I already have what I want and the one that I do want (Cities in Motion) hasn't gone a major sale.

That and I splurged my savings for a 3DS XL

JaseC

Strange that Blur has gone though. :(

dani_dc mentioned earlier that the cars in the game were licensed, which may have something to do with its removal; although, even so, the timing coinciding with the removal of the 007 games is one heck of a coincidence!

Wok

I have used the trick to copy the directory for Shank 2 on Origin (which I had thanks to a promo code) to the directory of Shank 2 on Steam (which I have thanks to HIB 7), and it worked: I had to download 100 MB instead of 1500 MB.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom