• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

Hale-XF11

qjkb.png

Developer/Publisher: Vitei, Inc./Nintendo
Release Date: February 13, 2014 (EU, NA)
Platform: Nintendo 3DS/eShop (download only)
Price: Free to Play/$9.99 for Premium version (full game)
DLC: $0.99 per ship
File Size: 1570 blocks for free version, 3 blocks more for Premium

c22I5mL.png

Official Website (US): http://steeldiver.nintendo.com/
Official Website (UK): https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS-download-software/Steel-Diver-Sub-Wars-851885.html
Announcement Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjKYoI3ehxQ
Multiplayer Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAruNODOZ1Q
Miiverse Community: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073168796849/14866558073168796867
Developers' Room: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073168796849/14866558073199751218

TL33JtO.png

26w5.png

HowaSld.png

nbt7.png

ckc5qF9.png

• Multiplayer local & online (4 vs. 4) battle in first person on various maps
  • Solo Missions (2 in free version, 7 in premium version) in first person with 3 levels of difficulty in each mission
  • Choose from 18 unique subs (2 in free version, 18 in premium version) which you earn as you play
  • Customize your subs with various paint jobs & patterns
  • Add crew members (17 in free version, 32 in premium version) whom add bonuses to your stats - find them and rescue them to unlock them
  • Play with circle pad + buttons or with touch screen
  • Play with Circle Pad Pro (optional)
  • Play with gyro controls (optional)
  • Chat using morse code (Pro tip: Type "SOS" for crate drop)
  • Press Start to pause the game and take screenshots in single player

4MfCinn.png

Version 1.1 (released 3-13-2014)

• Morse code chat rooms removed
  • Online multiplayer more stable, less disconnect errors
  • Some subs have adjusted attributes for more game balance
  • 1 minute for morse code chat before battles instead of 2 minutes
  • 3 seconds of waiting between morse code messages

Version 2.0 (released 6-2-2014)

• Earn bonuses for consecutive victories in Internet Mode and Matched-Skills Battles
  • Premium version adds a larger arsenal of subs as you level up (3 new subs in total)
  • 10 additional subs for sale in the sub shop
  • Blue-Marine (Star Fox) sub - free to Premium owners
  • Players who torpedo their allies will receive a warning message on their screen and points will be deducted for every hit
  • An additional multiplayer map (Arctic Circle)
  • Fine tuned sub stats
  • Two Play Coins are required for users of the Free Version to participate in Internet Mode

sQRmmcP.png

Left circle pad: surface/dive, steer left and right
Right circle pad: forward/reverse, steer left and right
ZL: radar ping
L: switch between sonar and map
ZR: fire regular torpedo (hold to zoom in before releasing torpedo)
R: fire homing torpedo (x3)

BGMkRTw.png

Peppy (because why not)
er1d.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100695347&postcount=82

gWLlozM.png

• The Trenches
  • Islands
  • Underwater Base
  • Stone Pillars
  • Sunken Ruins
  • Swimming Pool
  • Underwater Cave
  • Fish Tank
  • Hot Springs
  • Arctic Circle (v2.0)

tuQuUtY.png

zlCfzRgsQjgycHCLa-

yDWndiX.png

Homing Torpedos

w1A7yEp.jpg

Submarine Repair

0hJYZUx.jpg

yTQz2NF.png

zlCfzRio3UYlE9LPfa

blamite

The fact that this game has a morse-code chatroom is amazing, especially since, in my experience, it's filled exclusively with people (slowly) talking about how cool/annoying the concept of a morse-code chatroom is.

Nester

Just downloaded this and jumped into an online match before buying it. Got crushed, but I can already see I'm going to enjoy it. I can see it being worth ten bucks.

HUELEN10

So is it first-person only? What I saw of the trailer was confusing. How much is the game total (you know what I mean)?

Kazerei

Banned
Morse code chat is surprisingly fun. It feels like actual gameplay to tap, hold, and release the Y button with the right timing. Someone could make a rhythm game out of Morse code chatting. Or maybe I'm crazy.

Ridley327

So is it first-person only? What I saw of the trailer was confusing. How much is the game total (you know what I mean)?

It's $9.99 for the full game. There's extra subs you can buy that aren't normally unlockable, but they're not much different from what you can get on your own.

I've been pleasantly surprised by this. I was initially really put off from the departure it took from the original game, but this gets to the point a lot faster and the online play is a stronger draw than I expected.

Also, there's one set of missions that is basically a Morse code version of Typing of the Dead, and that's awesome.

Doing the tutorial first really helped me in my first online match. For a game about slow moving submarines in murky waters it's surprisingly fun.

Neiteio

I'm eager to try this this weekend. I think I'll just jump straight into the premium version. I really liked the first Steel Diver, and this sounds like a massive improvement in every way. :)

This game is awesome! Can't afford premium for about a month, but I'll get it then. In the meantime, the fact that you can play online for free is great! This is a online game I can get behind!

Also lol at moving this from WiiU to 3DS. Nintendo really seems to be giving up on WiiU...

Gleethor

This game is awesome! Can't afford premium for about a month, but I'll get it then. In the meantime, the fact that you can play online for free is great! This is a online game I can get behind!

Also lol at moving this from WiiU to 3DS. Nintendo really seems to be giving up on WiiU...

They should just release on both. Maybe they're working on a Wii U version.

Lunar15

On the Peppy thing:

Takaya Imamura has worked on every Star Fox (and, incidentally, F-Zero) game and is also the Director of Steel Diver 1 and presumably this one too.

themoreyouknow.jpeg

Oh please Nintendo, use this model to bring back F-Zero!

Just, free to have Falcon and like, 3 tracks + multiplayer. Full game unlocks all the racers and more tracks, then they can add more racers and tracks as DLC.

PLEASE DO THIS NINTENDO OH GOD.

jmizzal

They never said this was WiiU, people only assumed it was WiiU since it was gonna be F2P

Tho it should have been cross plate WiiU/3DS

J.W.Crazy

This is a lot of fun. Landing a long range shot with regular torpedoes is so rewarding. Some of the maps are better than others but overall I really like it. Multiplayer should have been in the original.

I bought a new copy of the original for five bucks and still ended up feeling like I got ripped off

This looks surprisingly entertaining though, and the idea of a morse code chat room is filling my head full of what

Will spend my lonely valentine's day tomorrow methodically firing torpedos towards vessels that are submerged deep within the crushing depths of their own sorrow, lumbering aimlessly towards the nothingness of impending doom

Wait, what was I talking about again?

danielcw

I am surprised, that this thread is so empty :(

Have not played a lot yet,
but I love (modern) submarines (movies),
and I liked the first Steel Diver.

Is online regional?

watershed

Banned
Stupid teammates are fucking up.
One of my teammates just sunk our own guy. Blue and red are not hard to tell apart. Fucking idiot.

Lunar15

What is it exactly?
Isn't it like a free demo with online play?

There is no real free to play concept in here, is there?

Yep. free demo with online play. You don't buy things individually, so for the time being there's no microtransactions.

It's just, hey play the multiplayer for free, unlock everything else for 9 bucks. Please no one show Nintendo an iPhone game.

watershed

Banned
I'm now level 3 and having fun so far. I'm 2 for 3 in online matches. Its funny how such slow controls can lead to such frantic battles.

Elija2

I haven't tried online yet, but are the Morse-code chat lobbies really just chatrooms where your only method of communication is painfully-slow Morse-code? That's...actually kinda awesome.

Also everyone who isn't planning on buying the premium game should play the single-player at least until they unlock the second free sub since it seems to be better than the first sub at everything except range.

One of my teammates just sunk our own guy. Blue and red are not hard to tell apart. Fucking idiot.

I started quickly typing out RED SHOOTS BLUE in the lobby.

But yeah. also.. some people are damn idiots at steering. O_O

I played a bit on my 2DS, then I played a bit on the 3DS XL with the Circle Pad Pro.

Circle Pad Pro feels like cheating. It really does. Left stick dive/KICKS(surfaces) and turns left right. Right stick is forward, reverse, left/right. ZL is sonar ZR is torpedo R is homing torpedo and L is map.

But yeah. I can't wait to play local multi-player too... it's quite good. I'm gonna have to buy it because two missions with three level difficulties each is not enough.

Also, wow. Nintendo is like: "Hey. Free to play is like.. we give them two subs and essentially six out of twenty levels and then they pay to permanently unlock everything else? Okay. We can do this."

Nintendo "Free To Play" > Everyone else's "Free To Play."

There's no ads, there's nothing to continually buy, it's so NICE.

Edit: Fixed a typo.. also.. now.. I need a Sean Connery Mii to attach to this game for online. I want to go watch DAS BOOT and The Hunt For Red October again... right now. What is this even. O_O

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
How's the "recruit crew members" portion of the game handled?

Like, are they individual characters, or just faceless stat points to be added to your submarine? I like games with character collecting, thus I purchased Inazuma, and I'm wondering if this game has something simillar.

How's the "recruit crew members" portion of the game handled?

Like, are they individual characters, or just faceless stat points to be added to your submarine? I like games with character collecting, thus I purchased Inazuma, and I'm wondering if this game has something simillar.

You rescue them and they all have names, faces, and individual perks to equipping them.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo "Free To Play" > Everyone else's "Free To Play."
I'd put Valve's ahead of Nintendo's, but this doesn't seem too bad.

We'll have to see how the balance shakes out between the free and premium subs, though. It looks like the premiums might be straight up better.

blamite

I haven't tried online yet, but are the Morse-code chat lobbies really just chatrooms where your only method of communication is painfully-slow Morse-code? That's...actually kinda awesome.

Yeah, you can tap out morse-code in-game or in the pregame lobby, but there's also an option to just jump into an 8 person chat and hang out, morse style.

chronosic

This is pretty fun! Did a few single player missions and a couple of online matches. Some people are already level 12 from what I saw and are wrecking people haha.
My first match I didn't sink anybody, but stuck around and spectated.Unfortunately my team lost so so didn't get points for that. The cool thing is you get xp for damaging enemy subs. My next match I managed to sink an enemy but I got taken down myself soon after. The xp from sinking that guy and doing a bit of damage to another was enough go get me to level 2 though.
I tried finding some of the lost crew, but was only able to snag one of them. Do they appear randomly in the missions or what?

This is the right direction for Nintendo, but I thought this was supposed to be a Wii U game. Nintendo gives their handhelds so much more love these days.

Boem

It's pretty fun, but I can't see myself buying the full version. I do like the way they presented this, I hope Nintendo starts offering demo's for more of their eshop titles.

I am liking it a lot, actually. I'm a bit surprised, because it isn't really my genre. Its slow speed really, really adds to the tension, which interestingly counteracts the light-hearted locales and music. The slow speed also makes me less prone to run 'n gun, which is my usual style of play. I'm more stealthy here, and it's really rewarding when I hit people unexpectedly from afar.

I've only played three matches so far, and my team was good on all three, so yes. Though for multiplayer games in general, I wish that that to you, you're always on the blue team, and you always shoot the red team. Would save a lot of trouble, lol. (And no, I wasn't that guy who friendly fired, lol.)

I'm not sure if I'd buy the full version, either. Though I am also not sure how much I'd play it, since I'm not really a multiplayer game player.

danielcw

I did the same thing at first, because I thought enemy = red.
Stopped after the first message popped up.

Sonar tech Jonesy is in the game, insta-buy!
Where is he?
Time to listen to Pavarotti
Paganini

Yeah, it is cool.
I wish one could hear or see the others morsing live, or that you would have to read morse code.

Apropos morse:
I want to go watch DAS BOOT and The Hunt For Red October again... right now. What is this even. O_O

I am ahead of you:
morsecode-dasboot9bjbv.png

morsecode-enemybelowhajbs.png

morsecode-redoctobergsjcx.png

Top Bottom