• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

J.W.Crazy

Stupid teammates are fucking up.
One of my teammates just sunk our own guy. Blue and red are not hard to tell apart. Fucking idiot.

I started quickly typing out RED SHOOTS BLUE in the lobby.

I think the problem is other games highlight enemy names in red no matter what team you're on so that's what people are expecting. They should notice that their homing missiles won't lock-on though.

I think the problem is other games highlight enemy names in red no matter what team you're own so that's what people are expecting. They should notice that their homing missiles won't lock-on though.

That might explain it. I can't wait until a week later when all the new people move on and it's all grumpy ship captains with skill and a love of the Motherland.

cacildo

Played a few matches last night and liked it a lot

But i dont know if i like it just because people were still getting used to the game and that made me kill everyone in a few seconds - and when people start to understand the game and destroy me with ease i will probably hate the game

Converse

Banned
You know, I honestly expected to download this game, give it a shot and promptly delete it. But I actually find it pretty rad. A submarine battle game is a pretty novel concept, and it's really different from anything I've played -- I think Iwata's "contemplative FPS" comment nails it, especially in contrast to the really hyperactive, hide-and-seek style FPS games that are currently en vogue. I also really like the unlockables and customization, especially the crewing aspect.

This thing came out of left field and I was sort of dreading Nintendo stepping into "free-to-play" territory, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I will likely pick up the Premium version in the not-too-distant future.

Raitaro

Out of all possible games to get a sequel...they pick Steel Diver. Wow, just wow.

I'm not saying this game is bad or completely unappreciated (haven't tried it yet) but I do find it absolutely mind boggling that they would bother to make a new Steel Diver instead of:

Anything unannounced / new for Wii U, even including "just" DLC for Nintendo Land or smaller e-shop games;
3DS ports to Wii U (such as Luigi's Mansion 2 or KI:U);
More Wii to Wii U ports;
A new Star Fox or F-Zero by the same director that worked on this apparently (even if they were F2P variants on 3DS at this point indeed);
Anything Metroid related;
...etc.

I mean, wasn't a Steel Diver sequel used in GAF circles as THE example to joke about when expressing how far out of touch with their old fans / new Wii Sports audience Nintendo has become? Again, the game could be good and I'm happy for the few that did want this, but man, I can't get over the fact that they actually made one!

Incredible how this company keeps managing to amaze me with its decisions - both good and bad (but mostly bad these last few years). It's almost as if they are scouring the internet for requests and such, to then sweep all the popular ones off the table and choose the ones mentioned the least.

---

That said, to keep true to my conflicted Nintendo-fandom: how's this new Steel Diver itself? Sigh...

mclem

What is it exactly?
Isn't it like a free demo with online play?

There is no real free to play concept in here, is there?

I think the bit that hews closest to other titles' free to play is that - I believe - it's possible to *unlock* subs in the free version that you can't actually use, so there's that allure to upgrade to paid - the idea that you need to spend money to make use of another resource you have. If you replaced the unlocking with, say, the awarding of 'sub points', and to be able to use a sub permanently you'd have to spend X sub points and Y sub badges, where sub badges are purchased, you're pretty much at the standard F2P model.

It also wouldn't surprise me if there are future independent level packs for it. That is, there's only one thing to purchase *now* while they're getting a feel for it, and if they think it works, they'll introduce extra content.

rekameohs

Banned
This game's been surprisingly pretty fun so far! Well worth the $0. :p

Probably never going to go for the paid version though. I agree with the posters who said that this is what the first one should've been in the first place.

danielcw

There is one thing I would like Nintendo to pick from other free to play titles:
a flow of new content.

I'm not saying this game is bad or completely unappreciated (haven't tried it yet) but I do find it absolutely mind boggling that they would bother to make a new Steel Diver instead of:

Anything unannounced / new for Wii U, even including "just" DLC for Nintendo Land or smaller e-shop games;
More Wii to Wii U ports;
A new Star Fox or F-Zero by the same director that worked on this apparently (even if they were F2P variants on 3DS at this point indeed);
...etc.

While I would like to see all the things you listed,
there is probably a big difference.
for this game they had a good idea of the gameplay,
the rest are just basic ideas, without much concrete content, besides the ports of course.

Maybe somebody at Nintendo is thinking about the next StarFox or F-Zero,
but the if somebody comes to them and says, here are my plans for a new gameplay experience, why shouldn't Nintendo chase that.

Nintendo is not one person,
they are a company with many teams,
from 1st to 3rd party.
They chase many ideas, and this one came to fruition.

drgambit

Banned
Where is he?

Steel-Diver-Sub-Wars-Nintendo-Direct-Screenshot-01-600x337.jpg

Camjo-Z

Out of all possible games to get a sequel...they pick Steel Diver. Wow, just wow.

I mean, wasn't a Steel Diver sequel used in GAF circles as THE example to joke about when expressing how far out of touch with their old fans / new Wii Sports audience Nintendo has become? Again, the game could be good and I'm happy for the few that did want this, but man, I can't get over the fact that they actually made one!...

That said, to keep true to my conflicted Nintendo-fandom: how's this new Steel Diver itself? Sigh...

I am one of those people who wanted a sequel to Steel Diver! This is actually one of the main reasons I like Nintendo, they might not always give you what you want but sometimes they give you what you NEED. And everybody NEEDS Morse code chatrooms.

To answer your question, it is awesome. Probably one of the better online games on 3DS, with a few tweaks to allow for friends to play online together it'd be perfect.

So what are the premium subs?

Any Japanese subs?

There is one so far. Here are all the subs in the shop currently, descriptions taken from the game.

Type VII U-Boat: A small, maneuverable German sub.
HMS X1: An experimental British sub.
Sen Toku I-400: A Japanese sub--the largest of its era.
Gato Class: The main sub of the US fleet in WWII.
Surcouf: A French sub with long-range capability.

In case anyone wondered. A Nintendo network ID is required just like all other free software.

I'll stick with a the different cartridge release of Steel Diver. Thanks Nintendo. Now to send my third e-mail of the day to the useless Nintendo UK customer services. I should give the Germans another try someday...

Xater

Played the free version for a bit and bought it. Fun little game. It also answers the question what a Nintendo FPS would look like.

I could also see how you could expand on this game. Maybe it will do well and they will do another one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
how is the game compared to the first one? I really like the first one gameplay, don't know if interested in this new approach

Camjo-Z

Gotta love these guys who think they're clever using the masker to turn invisible... only to continue going in a straight line and run right into my torpedoes.

how is the game compared to the first one? I really like the first one gameplay, don't know if interested in this new approach

I enjoyed the first one too, and I would very much say this one is better. It's the same frantic readjusting of levers and lining up perfect shots, just now in first-person and with multiplayer. Having lots of different subs/patterns/crew members to unlock is a lot better than the grindy stamp system from the original as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is really fun and I think we get a Wii U version of this shown at E3.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Gotta love these guys who think they're clever using the masker to turn invisible... only to continue going in a straight line and run right into my torpedoes.

I enjoyed the first one too, and I would very much say this one is better. It's the same frantic readjusting of levers and lining up perfect shots, just now in first-person and with multiplayer. Having lots of different subs/patterns/crew members to unlock is a lot better than the grindy stamp system from the original as well.

well, I'm gonna doenload the free version for sure, now. thanks

mihon

Played this for a bit and I'm genuinely surprised by how fun the game is. I guess that's because I always like slow-paced FPS, so this is right up my alley.

Will probably buy the full version. Also, they should color the dots in the sonar to indicate if they are from blue or red team. When all those white dots appear, it's very confusing. Or maybe that was their intention :).

Ridley327

Played this for a bit and I'm genuinely surprised by how fun the game is. I guess that's because I always like slow-paced FPS, so this is right up my alley.

Will probably buy the full version. Also, they should color the dots in the sonar to indicate if they are from blue or red team. When all those white dots appear, it's very confusing. Or maybe that was their intention :).
There is a crew member you can find that will show your teammates on the map, which will make that a trivial issue.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
I am pleasantly surprised with this game. Well done Nintendo. They finally gave us an online multiplay experience that sort of rivals Star Fox Assault.

mihon

There is a crew member you can find that will show your teammates on the map, which will make that a trivial issue.

Ah that's good to hear. Unlocking crew seems to be random though.
Some are recruitable in single player missions, but I don't know it they always appear or not. Does anybody knows?

atbigelow

I really like the menu music in this. It's kind of Pacific Rim sounding.

I'm also 3/3 in online battles. I really wish you could play from a 3rd-person perspective, though.

Boem

Some are recruitable in single player missions, but I don't know it they always appear or not. Does anybody knows?

I only have the free version, but two of them showed up in the third level of the second mission for me, during two seperate playthroughs (I'm trying to get the medal for that one, but I'm not good enough to do it under 5 minutes, or whatever the limit was). I looked at the crew-screen for hints on how to unlock the others and it seems that they are assigned to specific levels (I think...the wording is weird on that screen), but I haven't been able to find any more. No idea if it's random or not.

wildfire

Banned
I'm amused this is what Nintendo decides to do to make a full blown FPS in ages.

Release it on 3DS their better selling platform.
Slow as mud movement and projectile speed to make it a more thinking man's experience.
Propeller kills are headshots.

How does this game fare to other FPS games? Are the torpedo options good. Anything unique besides being able to move in 3 dimensions instead of 2+assist with jumping pads?

Is it something you would like to see ported to the Wii U?

Rrang129

Played it a bit last night - really liked it!

Slower paced, plays pretty nicely on the Circle Pad Pro as well. Kinda wish you could unlock more ships with points or something by playing... but I might just buy the full version anyway.

Like this way more than the original Steel Diver too.

mihon

I only have the free version, but two of them showed up in the third level of the second mission for me, during two seperate playthroughs (I'm trying to get the medal for that one, but I'm not good enough to do it under 5 minutes, or whatever the limit was). I looked at the crew-screen for hints on how to unlock the others and it seems that they are assigned to specific levels (I think...the wording is weird on that screen), but I haven't been able to find any more. No idea if it's random or not.

My understanding is that each crew member has a chance of appearing in two of the single player missions. The same seems to be true for the ones that appear on the online mode.

Rrang129

So... the dudes you can "recruit" on your ship... They are located in the levels? I guess I wanted to get the time medal so I didn't really look around...

I'm a huge fan of the original Steel Diver, but this is pretty great. Love the Morse Code chat. XD. I can see this monopolizing some of my 3DS free time for a while.

I'd like to see another game in the original style too though...

I'd also like to buy the original on the eShop, NOA.

Tom_Cody

More Wii to Wii U ports;
...etc.

I mean, wasn't a Steel Diver sequel used in GAF circles as THE example to joke about when expressing how far out of touch with their old fans / new Wii Sports audience Nintendo has become? Again, the game could be good and I'm happy for the few that did want this, but man, I can't get over the fact that they actually made one!

Incredible how this company keeps managing to amaze me with its decisions - both good and bad (but mostly bad these last few years). It's almost as if they are scouring the internet for requests and such, to then sweep all the popular ones off the table and choose the ones mentioned the least.

---

I mean, I don't really think that's a fair comparison. The budget/man-hours for a title like this is not comparable to a full Metroid/Star-Fox/F-Zero. This is more in line with Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western, or Ketzal's Corridors.

Even then, this probably should have cost $5 instead of $10 (and the first one definitely should not have been a full-priced launch title) but this is clearly a bit of an Experiment from Nintendo regarding F2P.
--

I liked the first one and I am enjoying this one so far. This is definitely a niche title but I am enjoying it.

Tom_Cody

So... the dudes you can "recruit" on your ship... They are located in the levels? I guess I wanted to get the time medal so I didn't really look around...

Has anyone been successful at finding recruits yet? I played this a bit before work today but I only realized that recruits were a thing when it was too late for me to go back and look for them.

mihon

Has anyone been successful at finding recruits yet? I played this a bit before work today but I only realized that recruits were a thing when it was too late for me to go back and look for them.

I found 3 crew members in the online mode. If anyone from your team rescues him, you also get it.

No luck on single player crew though.

Edit: And just like that, I found a crew member in the second mission. Yep, seems to be a random chance. This was on level 3 btw. Maybe the higher the level, higher the chance of finding crew?

Boem

Yeah, like I said, I found two of them in the third level of the second mission. I was trying to beat my previous time, and at some point a purple dot would show up on the radar. They're floating in rescue boats on the surface.

To anyone who has the full game: I like the free version, but I'm not sure if the full version has enough added value for me (especially because money is a bit tight at the moment). Do the remaining missions add any variety in environments or mission types or something? The ability to play with different subs in multiplayer doesn't do much for me, tbh.

Tom_Cody

Yeah, like I said, I found two of them in the third level of the second mission. I was trying to beat my previous time, and at some point a purple dot would show up on the radar. They're floating in rescue boats on the surface.
Sorry, I guess I didn't read your post closely enough.
I found 3 crew members in the online mode. If anyone from your team rescues him, you also get it.

No luck on single player crew though.

Edit: And just like that, I found a crew member in the second mission. Yep, seems to be a random chance. This was on level 3 btw. Maybe the higher the level, higher the chance of finding crew?
Note that crew members show up as purple blips on your sonar, so they're easy to spot if you're actively pinging.
Thanks guys. So, basically just ping and watch for purple.

Regiruler

You know, I honestly expected to download this game, give it a shot and promptly delete it. But I actually find it pretty rad. A submarine battle game is a pretty novel concept, and it's really different from anything I've played -- I think Iwata's "contemplative FPS" comment nails it, especially in contrast to the really hyperactive, hide-and-seek style FPS games that are currently en vogue. I also really like the unlockables and customization, especially the crewing aspect.

This thing came out of left field and I was sort of dreading Nintendo stepping into "free-to-play" territory, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I will likely pick up the Premium version in the not-too-distant future.

This is essentially my thoughts. The game was done very well IMO.
Will upgrade to premium once I'm not so strapped for cash.

EDIT: It has CPP support? HOW THE FUCK DID I NOT KNOW THIS

massoluk

Banned
Yep. free demo with online play. You don't buy things individually, so for the time being there's no microtransactions.

It's just, hey play the multiplayer for free, unlock everything else for 9 bucks. Please no one show Nintendo an iPhone game.

More importantly, how long before we get a ripoff on ios with insane in-app purchase.

Regiruler

More importantly, how long before we get a ripoff on ios with insane in-app purchase.

It would be hard to clone directly, I think. A lot of the appeal is that you are essentially quickly swapping between controls if you use the touchscreen, making you feel like a naval badass, that or you need physical buttons.

Top Bottom