• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver: Sub Wars |OT| Deep Deep Down

wrowa

Out of all possible games to get a sequel...they pick Steel Diver. Wow, just wow.

I'm not saying this game is bad or completely unappreciated (haven't tried it yet) but I do find it absolutely mind boggling that they would bother to make a new Steel Diver instead of:

Anything unannounced / new for Wii U, even including "just" DLC for Nintendo Land or smaller e-shop games;
3DS ports to Wii U (such as Luigi's Mansion 2 or KI:U);
More Wii to Wii U ports;
A new Star Fox or F-Zero by the same director that worked on this apparently (even if they were F2P variants on 3DS at this point indeed);
Anything Metroid related;
...etc.
You are aware that Vitei, the developer of Steeldiver, has nothing to do with any of your wishes? Sub-Wars doesn't influence anything you listed there even remotely.

Wiz

Tried the training and the first mission and...I really like this game. I'm eager to play more and will most likely buy the premium version.

do it, its the best way to play this

What are the main benefits? Can you control speed with the right stick?

Tried the training and the first mission and...I really like this game. I'm eager to play more and will most likely buy the premium version.

What are the main benefits? Can you control speed with the right stick?

yes, plus the left bumper is map and zl is sonar, right bumper homing torpedo, zr normal torpedo, the game was made for the cpp

Wiz

yes, plus the left bumper is map and zl is sonar, right bumper homing torpedo, zr normal torpedo, the game was made for the cpp

nice. I'm going to need a cpp xl then. Cause while the controls weren't bad, I was struggling to control it at points.

Haines

Banned
Out of all possible games to get a sequel...they pick Steel Diver. Wow, just wow.

I'm not saying this game is bad or completely unappreciated (haven't tried it yet) but I do find it absolutely mind boggling that they would bother to make a new Steel Diver instead of:

Anything unannounced / new for Wii U, even including "just" DLC for Nintendo Land or smaller e-shop games;
3DS ports to Wii U (such as Luigi's Mansion 2 or KI:U);

More Wii to Wii U ports;
A new Star Fox or F-Zero by the same director that worked on this apparently (even if they were F2P variants on 3DS at this point indeed);
Anything Metroid related;
...etc.
I mean, wasn't a Steel Diver sequel used in GAF circles as THE example to joke about when expressing how far out of touch with their old fans / new Wii Sports audience Nintendo has become? Again, the game could be good and I'm happy for the few that did want this, but man, I can't get over the fact that they actually made one!

Incredible how this company keeps managing to amaze me with its decisions - both good and bad (but mostly bad these last few years). It's almost as if they are scouring the internet for requests and such, to then sweep all the popular ones off the table and choose the ones mentioned the least.

---

That said, to keep true to my conflicted Nintendo-fandom: how's this new Steel Diver itself? Sigh...

Lol. IPS don't make good games. A 10 dollar sub game is cool. You can try it for free! You are being very dramatic here.

JimboJones

It seems fun enough especially for a free portion. The 3D is really crap in it though, it doesn't add any depth at all just makes it look like the screen is further inside the 3DS.

mihon

Imamura-san of EAD is definitely pandering to the Star Fox 64 crowd. Hopefully this game is good.

Its funny that you mention this, because the radar base boss from mission 3 instantly reminded me of Star Fox bosses. I wouldn't even be surprised if we got a "Great Fox Submarine" dlc or something like that.

Also, I bought the premium version and took a look at the premium, real-world ships. Fortunately, they don't seem to be broken or OP.

Unfortunately not... :(

Only has random matchmaking either Regionally or Worldwide. It also has a morse code chat room!

Just an idea: Maybe they don't allow playing with friends to prevent people from using morse chat to talk. As things are now, you get matched up with new random people all the time and the morse chat is too low bandwidth for too short of a time to be much of a risk.

It seems fun enough especially for a free portion. The 3D is really crap in it though, it doesn't add any depth at all just makes it look like the screen is further inside the 3DS.
Funny, I think it works pretty well.

Rrang129

Just an idea: Maybe they don't allow playing with friends to prevent people from using morse chat to talk. As things are now, as long as you get matched with random people all the time, it's too low bandwidth for too short of a time to be much of a risk.

Ehh... You can talk with random people in the game already, so I wouldn't see that as a reason.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Yeah, besides the obvious Peppy sighting, I'm getting all kinds of Star Fox vibes from this.

Imamura-san always insists on doing the character art for his games. I wonder if they can do something with Star Fox after this. F2P might be the model necessary for it as well at this point.

Wiz

Imamura-san always insists on doing the character art for his games. I wonder if they can do something with Star Fox after this. F2P might be the model necessary for it as well at this point.

Yeah.
A F2P multiplayer focused Star Fox game with basic single player missions like 64 might be a great couse of action honestly. This game might even be a test for that.

So the whole Peppy cameo thing. I get the joke Nintendo was aiming for here. The Streetpass Mii plaza has a talking rabbit as a salesperson. That is what Peppy is referring to.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
How though? It's still just essentially a 2D image. Their needs to be at least a shift in one of the images for the 3D effect to work.

If you can see that the area is "sunken in" then there is a shift and the 3D effect is working.
It may not be impressive, but hey.

drgambit

Banned
Nintendo's approach to f2p is a breath of fresh air. I love the approach.

I hope other companies learn from this...

They won't...

Ehh... You can talk with random people in the game already, so I wouldn't see that as a reason.
That's just the difference. If Nintendo is worried about abuse, being able to chat for just a few lines with random people is safer, since you're unlikely to build up relationships with them (where "them" might read: "bad people you exchanged your FCs with online") and exchange contact information. Looking at what happened with Swapnote, that's just the scenario they're worried about after all.

Of course it's kind of funny that you get to communicate less with your friends than with random people, but there's a certain logic to it.

How though? It's still just essentially a 2D image. Their needs to be at least a shift in one of the images for the 3D effect to work.
There's no shift at all? Odd. I guess my eyes played a trick on me then.

Edit: You're right. Huh.

Camjo-Z

Any impressions on the premium single player missions later on?

Missions 3, 5, 6 and 7 are all pretty much just getting to a boss base/sub/ship and blasting away at them, and Mission 4 has you typing up 20 words in morse code. If you're only interested in the single player I probably wouldn't recommend getting premium just for it, but they're fun enough supplements to the multiplayer mode.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The multiplayer for this game is pretty rad.

It's a pretty awesome feeling when two battle damaged subs are squaring off against each other trying to get that final kill shot in.

It seems like those old wireframe Battle Tank games in some ways, yes?

Yeah it kinda does feel like underwater Battletank.

Shiggy

I really love their approach with this, though I see it more like a demo than what would be considered F2P nowadays. The download is still taking time for me, unfortunately.

I bet Nintendo's rationale is that when you have to type in Morse code you're less likely to be a huge asshole, maybe? It can be unmoderated just because it's a huge struggle to type anything. But it's still awesome.

I am imagining people sexting on there.

E-Y-G-U-R-L-stop-W-H-A-T-A-R-E-Y-O-U-W-E-A-R-I-N-G-stop

God bless Iwata´s / Nintendo´s heart for their implemention of "F2P".

It is literally just a bigger than usual demo.

I hope they never change their "giving the customer high quality XXX" stance

God bless Iwata´s / Nintendo´s heart for their implemention of "F2P".

It is literally just a bigger than usual demo.

I hope they never change their "giving the customer high quality XXX" stance

Hell I hope other 3DS devs take note and do the same thing.

Imagine Renegade Kid making a Moon sequel that's a free online FPS with paid DLC.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
OP should note;

It's an actual EAD Group No. 5 / Vitei game. From Takaya Imamura of EAD, the creator of Captain Falcon and Fox McCloud.

Imagine Renegade Kid making a Moon sequel that's a free online FPS with paid DLC.

I honestly don´t want it to become the norm on the eShop (like the grand majority of iOS games is now)....but a few high quality ones ?

Yes !

They had good intentions with this game but it´s broken on so many levels. Calling this a f2p game is a shame. Unlocking major parts of the game for money only as well as better subs makes it just a demo and pay2win. I like the immersion of a sub in full 3d under water but whats the point of the periscope? you can´t even stay under water to see above the surface. Morse chat is a nice addition but only nintendo could add it as the only way to communicate. You have a mic and a cam in every defice. Just use it. Graphics are aweful. It´s confusing to see a first party nintendo title with such a lack of polish.

Rrang129

They had good intentions with this game but it´s broken on so many levels. Calling this a f2p game is a shame. Unlocking major parts of the game for money only as well as better subs makes it just a demo and pay2win. I like the immersion of a sub in full 3d under water but whats the point of the periscope? you can´t even stay under water to see above the surface. Morse chat is a nice addition but only nintendo could add it as the only way to communicate. You have a mic and a cam in every defice. Just use it. Graphics are aweful. It´s confusing to see a first party nintendo title with such a lack of polish.

I've used the periscope to see if there are subs hiding around me. Easy to pop it up and look around quickly without turning the sub.

I can see where you are coming from with the F2P aspects... but it's an interesting first step for NIntendo, I think.

The morse code thing is pretty cool to me actually, I don't mind not having voice chat in this.

Wait, I haven't heard anything about Moon, but I saw something about it in the Direct. Is it possible it's going to have multiplayer!? I'd love some multiplayer FPS ala Metroid to hit my 3DS, my hands burn with the need.

Wait, I haven't heard anything about Moon, but I saw something about it in the Direct. Is it possible it's going to have multiplayer!? I'd love some multiplayer FPS ala Metroid to hit my 3DS, my hands burn with the need.

Oh I don't think it is, it's just an up-port of the DS game and might have a sequel eventually if it does well IIRC. Right now it's just going to be an episodically-released single player FPS.

Oh I don't think it is, it's just an up-port of the DS game and might have a sequel eventually if it does well IIRC. Right now it's just going to be an episodically-released single player FPS.

Nnnnnooooooo
Why can't we at least get a remake of Hunters? Just the multiplayer bit, mind you.

Hoodbury

Played 4 matches online and it was pretty fun. Won all 4 too. First match I was the last survivor and took out 2 of their guys to win, was pretty epic for a newbie to do that.

Top Bottom