• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Yuuichi

That text wrapping is pretty disappointing. Seems pretty lazy honestly. Not like they can miss it, and how hard can it be for a game that is primarily just text and pictures?

Normally this is the part where I would tell you that word wrap is more complicated than it appears, but in an official release in which I know the text area supports rollover (either scrolling or carries as a new page without advancing the script) it is just lazy. If you're not constrained by character limits, there's no reason not to use it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So the PC release from last year didn't have these text wrapping problems?

No the hacker Nagato made a blog post showing that they had fixed it and changed the font so everything fit in properly and was readable.
text-2.jpg

Firestar

I'm guessing this is why it's taking so long for SCEA to give the thumbs up. Also it's the programmers at MAGES doing it on their own this time so a hacker like Nagato who implemented it in the official PC release has no input.

Yeah, but even with MAGES doing the work I would still hope PQube would've caught this and asked for it to be fixed. If SCEA really picked it up and wants it fixed I'll definitely be impressed

Prelude.

You people weirded out by Okabe's behaviour should look up what's "chuunibyou". (not the anime)

Well so far Blick pointed out that this one is straight from the PC release:
http://i.imgur.com/HgRKRH4.jpg[IMG]
This one is pretty early on so it's probably the most immediately noticeable.[/QUOTE]
Well, that's on Vita so it's pretty much how it'd look like even natively. If anyone has a PS3 copy should check if the game supports screenshots.

You people weirded out by Okabe's behaviour should look up what's "chuunibyou". (not the anime)

Well, that's on Vita so it's pretty much how it'd look like even natively. If anyone has a PS3 copy should check if the game supports screenshots.

I didn't realize any PS3 games supported screenshots.

Prelude.

I didn't realize any PS3 games supported screenshots.
Some games do, you need to press the PS button and go to the Photos tab. If the game supports them there should be a "take screenshot" option. I think PS+Start works too but it's obviously easier to check if they work using the first method.

Spoiler question for those done with the game and with the other Science Adventure games: Although Okabe is an ass at times and "delusional" about things like being a mad scientist,
aren't his "delusions" actually correct based on the Council of 300?

zakujanai

The 病 part of the word chuunibyou 中二病 means sickness.

I'm coming around to the character more but only when he stops acting like a little kid.

Prelude.

Spoiler question for those done with the game and with the other Science Adventure games: Although Okabe is an ass at times and "delusional" about things like being a mad scientist,
No idea but I have played only S;G.

The 病 part of the word chuunibyou 中二病 means sickness.

I'm coming around to the character more but only when he stops acting like a little kid.
It means "Middle School 2nd Year Syndrome". It's something that "afflicts" kids, they're not sick, they're just being kids.
S;G might have been the biggest mainstream anime that popularized it, or at least that's my impression. After S;G aired that "kind" of chuunis started popping up everywhere.

I don't think so. I think one is just the same story but through the perspective of other characters, and the other is a non-canon romance/comedy thing.
I'm pretty sure they're both non-canon (at least mostly?), but that gives a lot more freedom for creativity for the one with different perspectives (which isn't just the same story).

MetalDeer

That flowchart seems extremely confusing. Can I use this walkthrough instead or will I miss out on stuff?

I found the flowchart to be easier to understand, personally. I think I also used what you linked for something, but it seems unfinished. I guess it is better laid out if you just want to see all the endings, though.

Edit: Oh, right, I used that guide to try to get all the CGs, but apparently there's a bug in the PC version and you can't get it. Wonder if that's present in the Vita/PS3 versions...

Prelude.

I found the flowchart to be easier to understand, personally. I think I also used what you linked for something, but it seems unfinished. I guess it is better laid out if you just want to see all the endings, though.

Edit: Oh, right, I used that guide to try to get all the CGs, but apparently there's a bug in the PC version and you can't get it. Wonder if that's present in the Vita/PS3 versions...
Even in the jast version? Because the original fantranslation was janky as fuck but I assume they fixed everything for the commercial release.

MetalDeer

Even in the jast version? Because the original fantranslation was janky as fuck but I assume they fixed everything for the commercial release.

Yeah, it was the JAST version. I lost my save, so I can't really check, but I think it was the very last CG,
the one with everyone and the cake.

I'm waiting for the US release, but I was wondering if after selecting a keyword to respond to, are you able to back out of a message you've written and choose a different keyword? Or do you need to load a save to do that still?

MetalDeer

I'm waiting for the US release, but I was wondering if after selecting a keyword to respond to, are you able to back out of a message you've written and choose a different keyword? Or do you need to load a save to do that still?

Pretty sure selecting a keyword shows what you write in response, so no, you can't go back and pick another, you have to load a save.

Not that I can tell. It means I kinda have to guess what the kind of response will be. I've only been unhappy with one message that I selected.

I've been playing this a bit on Vita. I'm liking it so far. I really shouldn't have watched the anime on Netflix a couple of months ago though as it pretty much spoiled everything, though it's interesting to have this deeper look at things while knowing from the start how everything will unfold.

The game looks great on Vita.

I was also genuinely surprised when I found out the text on the box was 100% in French. I kind of expected a physical release Vita VN to have a single box for every European country, not country specific editions.

Etria

Got my copy in the mail 5 days after it shipped from the UK to NZ, which was faster than normal :) Have to wait until exams finish to start it though.

Btw, I like how the spine has the logo on it instead of generic font.

zakujanai

I've been playing this a bit on Vita. I'm liking it so far. I really shouldn't have watched the anime on Netflix a couple of months ago though as it pretty much spoiled everything, though it's interesting to have this deeper look at things while knowing from the start how everything will unfold.

I resisted watching the anime for so long for exactly this reason. Going to watch it once I'm done with the game but I'm not actually sure if it'll be worth it?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I resisted watching the anime for so long for exactly this reason. Going to watch it once I'm done with the game but I'm not actually sure if it'll be worth it?

Well it's a watered down version of the true route but it's a decent adaption with the episode count they're given. It might be good for a watch when you feel like revisiting and not want to go through the whole game again.

MSMrRound

Steins;Gate charted at #18 last week (both platforms combined I think), that seems pretty decent for a nice anime VN on two relatively dead systems. I guess that half the world bought the game from the UK helped.

It's not higher!? Quick! We must send a D-Mail!

"PLZ BUY STEINS GATE".

Chapter 4. I really like
how the game portrays effectively how maddening it can be to be the only one to remember how the past changed.

But the game definitely has its lows and highs, I'll wait and see until the end for my definitive opinion.
It's not higher!? Quick! We must send a D-Mail!

"PLZ BUY STEINS GATE".

19 bytes, you're good to go

cj_iwakura

That's only relevant to Robotics;Notes.

Shizuka

Steins;Gate charted at #18 last week (both platforms combined I think), that seems pretty decent for a nice anime VN on two relatively dead systems. I guess that half the world bought the game from the UK helped.

https://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

Oh and my Vita copy arrived today, great timing too since mailmen in Germany are going on strike starting tomorrow haha

And the Vita version charted on the top 50 individual SKUs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Chapter 4. I really like
how the game portrays effectively how maddening it can be to be the only one to remember how the past changed.

But the game definitely has its lows and highs, I'll wait and see until the end for my definitive opinion.

19 bytes, you're good to go

Can't remember when it starts, but be sure to save after every chapter now
if you care about seeing character endings. The divergent points are pretty obvious.

Wampiro

Neo Member
Finally, I received my copy today. A little unboxing:

IMG_20150608_130630822_zpsqdbau8k8.jpg

IMG_20150608_131108955_zpsyzea63qj.jpg

IMG_20150608_131248561_zpsahxaxgw1.jpg

The artbook is great, Im very happy with the content and quality. Warning, there are several spoilers on it, dont open it unless you have already watched the series (or finished the game).

Spoiler-free selection of the artbook, I´m posting it under a spoiler because there are too many images:

IMG_20150608_131313368_HDR_zpsrjf1yrxg.jpg

IMG_20150608_131407534_HDR_zpsbwrqfpab.jpg

IMG_20150608_131424599_HDR_zpshsj4a7qm.jpg

Fanservice, because reasons:

IMG_20150608_131625191_HDR_zpsdzropbel.jpg

IMG_20150608_131700329_HDR_zpsseirrazx.jpg

Kurisu says hi!

IMG_20150608_132029393_zpsgm3wp0mk.jpg

PD. The spoiler tag doesn´t work with images, that´s odd, am I missing something?

MetalDeer

Got my Rice Digital LE today, too! That was a lot faster than I expected.

The upa's a little smaller than I thought it would be, but that's okay. Also, wow, there's some pretty big spoilers in this artbook.

Edit: Also, super jealous of that Kurisu figure, Wampiro. I really want a scale Kurisu figure, but all of them are so expensive anymore..

Shiina

So I decided to go with the flowchart in the end and I just got a mail that isn't covered in it. Does that mean it's not important and it doesn't matter what/if I reply? It's the first mail I got from Luka in chapter 1 about the exorcism stuff.

MetalDeer

So I decided to go with the flowchart in the end and I just got a mail that isn't covered in it. Does that mean it's not important and it doesn't matter what/if I reply? It's the first mail I got from Luka in chapter 1 about the exorcism stuff.

I believe if it's not mentioned in the flowchart, then it doesn't unlock any cellphone wallpapers/cg/etc, so you should be good.

Top Bottom