• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

ike_

Finally got my Vita copy from across the pond.

c8Llk1P.jpg

Now they can combine to form Voltron, right? Go!

Because I can't open these. I'll play them when the digital versions are released >_<.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I just got one of the endings (first time playing), taking around 15 and a half hours:
Irreversible ReBOOT.
This one involved Suzuha. I was kind of surprised at the sudden ending because for some reason I thought there were more chapters to go past 6. It was also nice to confirm that Daru was her father, and that she was posting under the moniker 'John Titor' because of the way she acted in the earlier chapters. But some things still haven't been cleared up like them trying to reach the beta attractor field from the alpha one and that taking the backseat to Mayuri's death and the Rounders coming to silence them. I felt like I missed some crucial moment in the game where I was meant to make an obvious choice, like someone mentioned in this thread.

Another thing I was wondering about was whether there were choices for what text message I would send to other characters. Were it the underlined blue font? I just randomly replied to texts without thinking about which one I was picking because I thought they were insignficant, but in hindsight, this seems like it was not the way to go?

Edit: Moreover, since at the beginning, Okarin witnessed Kurisu's death in another worldline, does that mean that if they had succeeded in travelling to a worldline with a divergence of >1 in order to prevent Mayuri's impending death, then wouldn't they have ended up in the same worldline before Okarin sent the message to Daru about Kurisu's stabbing, i.e. Kurisu would have been dead? Then wouldn't Okarin try to alter the past again with D-Mail, but been unable to upgrade the PhoneWave with the ability to time leap since Kurisu was mainly the one who completed it? Just quite a lot of what ifs that didn't get resolved in my playthrough. Hopefully the true ending clears it up.

There are more chapters. Each chapter after 6 is basically the character route for each character.

Sooo I went back to Neptunia Re;Birth after finishing Steins;Gate, and I didn't expect to see a certain character again so soon. Really surprised me

It's a costume for the "MAGES." character

Also bonus (slightly spoilery) screenshot of the moment in Steins;Gate that made me laugh the most since it came so unexpectedly. <3 Mayuri

http://i.imgur.com/O9kXXL3.jpg

ike_

Why do you have to wait for the digital versions?

Well I've seen the anime, and I've been waiting for this game to come to Steam for a while, but the real answer is because in my old age its becoming harder to open physical copies of games as long as the hope of a digital version still exists. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯.

Etria

There are more chapters. Each chapter after 6 is basically the character route for each character.

Mine ended on Chapter 6. The credits rolled. Did I miss something for the
Suzuha
route then? It did seem pretty final, though not the true ending.

OMG Aero

Last night I finished chapter 5 and played a fair bit into chapter 6 and holy shit that was intense, especially when the awesome chase music kicked in. I feel like the game had a really slow start, but yesterday I played for hours and hours and had to deliberately stop myself from continuing even though I wanted to.

I just started chp 7.
Chp 5 and 6...holy shit it got real.
Im glued to my vita now and have just left the charger plugged in at this point as I want nothing pulling me out like battery warnings.

After the wild ride that was Steins;Gate, I'm conflicted.

On one hand I want to watch Robotics;Notes right away.
On the other I kind of want to wait for the VN to be translated :/

Prelude.

After the wild ride that was Steins;Gate, I'm conflicted.

On one hand I want to watch Robotics;Notes right away.
On the other I kind of want to wait for the VN to be translated :/
The anime is not super good, so you might as well wait for the game, if they localize it, that is. I'm kinda worried since it'll likely be after C;H so it that bombs we might never see it.
The Vita version should also have a slightly re-worked plot.

cj_iwakura

The anime is not super good, so you might as well wait for the game.
The Vita version should also have a slightly re-worked plot.

It's passable, but yeah, the VN is far better.

Still gets the job done, unlike Chaos;Head. I haven't finished the R;N anime yet, but the way I saw it presented in the PS3 version looked far more appealing.

The anime dub is good, though. Same studio.

It took a long time for this game to grab me (I can't say I got off on the best foot with it and its characters) but I got an ending of sorts earlier today and well this is another game that serves to bugger up my already flawed sleep schedule, what's that? 3AM, oh I suppose I'll stop then. Nice turnaround from the slow start.

Guess I'm gonna need to look things up to figure out how to move on from here, I went into this pretty much blind so I'm only just finding out now through the OP that my hunch about how the plot diverged is indeed correct.

Scavenger

I just finished the true ending. Steins;Gate is truly mesmerizing. I got sucked into its world and now it's almost fucking 7 AM. I feel fucking tired. It better sell well for PQube because I'm hungry for Chaos;Head.

Translation could've been better. Sometimes the translation was a bit too liberal which led to a few minor issues such as the disappearance of a reference to the Stands from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

saturnine

Just got the
letting Luka stay a girl
ending
I feel like shit... these decisions got too hard to take for me. I'm starting a new playthrough (seems there's no chapter select? at least there's a fast forward). This time I'm going to erase the influence of all those mails, but if my intuition is right... the last one...

Just got the
letting Luka stay a girl
ending
I feel like shit... these decisions got too hard to take for me. I'm starting a new playthrough (seems there's no chapter select? at least there's a fast forward). This time I'm going to erase the influence of all those mails, but if my intuition is right... the last one...
If you Quick Load there should be an auto-save at each chapter, unless you disabled them.

I'm in chapter 2 now but I don't want to play further because it is so boring and Mayuri is annoying.

I also hate Mayuri and felt that the beginning was boring yet it gets really interesting in the second chapter. the end of chapter 2 made me really interested in future events which can't be said for the relatively awful beginning.

Am I the only one who really likes Mayuri? ;_;

What is it that you like about her?

I think she is (so far) an unnecessary character who receives way too much attention and has a horrible design. Dem eyebrows. Add to that how absent-minded and stupid her facial expressions are 90% of the time.

saturnine

made it to the
Mayuri lives but Kurisu dies
ending.
at least the game didn't ask me to make the choice... it seems there might be some leeway for a happy ending where everyone survives.

If you Quick Load there should be an auto-save at each chapter, unless you disabled them.

thanks for the tip! the save system was poorly explained in the game.

I also hate Mayuri and felt that the beginning was boring yet it gets really interesting in the second chapter. the end of chapter 2 made me really interested in future events which can't be said for the relatively awful beginning.

I agree that the beginning of the game is pretty weak. Okabe in full asshat mode is a terrible way to hook the player.
Mayuri is endearing the same way a brain damaged girl garners sympathy. I guess that's the moe appeal ?
Still feels terrible when shit starts hitting the fan for her.
Repeatedly.
Again.
And again.
And again some more.
THE FUCKING FAN WON'T STOP SPINNING

Wouldn't have minded less tropey dialogues. It's all well and good to have a character react like a tsundere and have another one calling her out on it, but that doesn't amount to much.

hamchan

Playing it on the Vita, the game keeps trying to put itself into auto mode randomly, normally when someone starts talking. Any way to stop this?

Ratrat

I'm in chapter 2 now but I don't want to play further because it is so boring and Mayuri is annoying.
Really hate that dog.
She was the worst in the anime that I cackled in the numerous times she bought it. I hope I get that ending in the game.
:D

Ok I'm finally where the shit is getting real. I knew this would come but it is still impressive... Too bad I can't play for the next 4 days.

I'm talking about :
chapter 5

What is it that you like about her?

I think she is (so far) an unnecessary character who receives way too much attention and has a horrible design. Dem eyebrows. Add to that how absent-minded and stupid her facial expressions are 90% of the time.

Well, from the perspective of someone who finished the game she is far from unnecessary. While I think she herself is great, she's responsible and caring and just a bit lost in her own world, the best part is her relationship with Okabe. In the beginning I myself hated Okabe and I can maybe sort of (not really though) see why you would dislike her, but if you finish the game and still don't like both of them your heart is probably made out of ice.

I don't think any of the above is spoilery, but if someone thinks so please let me know.

Wichu

Mayuri's
ending was the best. Screw the haters. #teammayuri

Entire game (true ending) spoilers:
I wasn't a huge fan of the true ending. It felt more like an extended epilogue to Kurisu's ending. Yeah, it tied up the loose ends from the beginning, but it's obvious those were added so the true ending would have something to tie up rather than vice-versa. Chapter 10 made it clear that you'd have to let one of the girls die, but then Chapter 11 was all like "lol jk here's some asspulls instead". I'd have been happy with the game ending after Chapter 10.

Anyway, I need more. Someone give me some recommendations. I've already played 999/VLR and Danganronpa 1/2.

Prelude.

Still no word on the US release?

I wonder what's holding up the certification.

They said they'll announce it very soon so it probably passed certification already. Anime Expo is a good bet.

Anyway, I need more. Someone give me some recommendations. I've already played 999/VLR and Danganronpa 1/2.
Well, you're pretty much set on consoles. We might get a Chaos;Head announcement in a few weeks so maybe wait for that. On PC personally I don't know anything similar but maybe Ever 17 would be good (since it's by the Zero Escape guy).

If you didn't play them, I recommend Hotel Dusk: Room 215 and Last Window: The Secret of Cape West both on the DS, they're not as crazy as the aforementioned VNs since they're more like detective novels with puzzles but they're really good.

They said they'll announce it very soon so it probably passed certification already. Anime Expo is a good bet.

Hey, I just checked Anime Expo's list of exhibitors and it looks like now "PQube Steins;Gate" is attending (and the associated link is to Strangely Compelling, which is the company that localized Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds and runs the 5pb. Games USA social media channels).

Prelude.

Hey, I just checked Anime Expo's list of exhibitors and it looks like now "PQube Steins;Gate" is attending (and the associated link is to Strangely Compelling, which is the company that localized Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds and runs the 5pb. Games USA social media channels).

Steins;Gate NA date + Chaos;Head Noah confirmed, git hype everyone

How could somebody hate Mayuri? :'(

The same way some people kick puppies and kitties, I guess. I hate moe characters and I still found Mayuri adorable. It's Kurisu that gets on my nerves with her tsundere act, but I gotta admit some of her deadpan snarks are pretty great.

Mayuri's
ending was the best. Screw the haters. #teammayuri

Entire game (true ending) spoilers:
I wasn't a huge fan of the true ending. It felt more like an extended epilogue to Kurisu's ending. Yeah, it tied up the loose ends from the beginning, but it's obvious those were added so the true ending would have something to tie up rather than vice-versa. Chapter 10 made it clear that you'd have to let one of the girls die, but then Chapter 11 was all like "lol jk here's some asspulls instead". I'd have been happy with the game ending after Chapter 10.

I would recommend you Remember11, it has the best pacing and tension of any VN that i played, it even trumps that of 999. the only negative point is the more than open ending, everything else is amazing. Ever17 is more complete and is a fan favourite, but its a lot slower with a lot slice of life moments..

Other than Remember11, i can recommend you the Ace Attorney Trilogy, really good mystery adventure games :)

BTA

Aim for the stars, we must be getting
Chaos;Head Dual

Oooh, I'd be down for that. I wouldn't want to replay the main game so soon, but if we got Dual I'd pick it up for LCC and go back for Noah's additions eventually. That sounds like it'd be a lot to translate for one Vita release, though, so I'm not expecting that much.

Scavenger

Mayushii&#9734; haters are just jelly they can't have a bite of her Juicy Chicken Number One.

These offical order-made Steins;Gate phone cases with Swarovski crystals look sweet. They're limited to 300 each and not too horribly expensive with prices ranging from 4000 yen to 5000 yen with VAT. Takes about 2 to 3 weeks for it to be made and comes with certificate of authenticity. The phone cases can be made for a bunch of iPhone models and phones from other brands if you happen to know the model number from Docomo, AU, Softbank.

I really want that Labmem case.

Probably the text wrapping issue

There is also a minor text glitch early on.

Top Bottom