• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

macklelol

My Rice LE came in today, took 3 weeks to ship. Sadly it came in right before I had to go to work, so I didn't even have the time to open it. Don't even think I'll have much time to play through it either, since it came later than I thought.

One question though:
Suzuha said that the Steins Gate timeline ended on -0.whatever% but instead this timeline was 1.something%. Is this our sequel hook for Steins;Gate 0?

If I recall that scene from my playthrough last year,
she was saying that it was -0.whatever% relative to the current worldline, which was 1.something%. So add those two numbers together and you get the divergence of Steins;Gate, which is 1.048596%.

If I recall that scene from my playthrough last year,
she was saying that it was -0.whatever% relative to the current worldline, which was 1.something%. So add those two numbers together and you get the divergence of Steins;Gate, which is 1.048596%.
Ah, you're right.
I was too focused on percentage to remember the words "relative to here" that preceded them. My bad. I was curious how you could have minus percentage divergence.
I want to play this game again for the first time. How was the anime? Worth watching? It's on Netflix.

Prelude.

This guy knows what's up.
345ird7.jpg

Also, my artistic composition and other pics I'm pretty sure I've seen on gaf made it into this collage.
https://twitter.com/psvitajinsei/status/613756204855238656

I'm really undecided whether I like this game or not.

Chapter one was pretty underwhelming but I knew beforehand that this game is a slow burn. Chapter 2 and 3 had some interesting aspects and it felt like the pacing was finally getting better...then chapter 4 came. I really don't know what they were thinking. All the momentum the game was building up suddenly gets destroyed by 'nyan nyan', stupid characters and irrelevant discussions. OMG these conversations won't stop and to me they are just a huge waste of time.

It doesn't help that I hate Mayuri, Faris and Moeka and find the rest of the cast to be 'okay' at best.

I'm still very interested in the plot but damn has the pacing been uneven so far. It definitely drags the experience down quite a bit.

quabba

My copy arrived about a week ago and I only just finished chapter 2 today. I found the mc the most unliveable but don't mind the rest. Hoping it starts picking up soon.

Just finished the true ending (made sure to save it for last). What a ride that was. Absolutely fantastic, I loved it. I'll definitely be buying it on Vita when it finally comes out in the US. Don't know that I'll be up for a replay right away, but I definitely want to support it.

Just got 1 ending and then googled the true ending. Didn't want to keep playing for the other endings.
If you made it to chapter 10 and googled the ending it might be understandable but, like, the earliest ending is at Chapter 6. You basically missed out on a chunk of the game. Why do that?

I haven't been able to contribute to the thread because of my busted Vita, so I'll just leave this art I found here.
97QIgSh.jpg

Hope you all are still enjoying the game :)

I haven't been able to contribute to the thread because of my busted Vita, so I'll just leave this art I found here.

Hope you all are still enjoying the game :)
I actually split that up and used it as my Vita backgrounds for a little while, but I just couldn't handle how it fades out and in instead of smoothly scrolling between pages.

TheChaos0

Ok, I've got my first ending -
Irreversible Reboot
. Well, that was really unsatisfying. The game is telling me to play more!!! Damn you VNs with your multiple endings. I'm not sure how you reach other endings, you don't make decisions like you usually do, instead you send vague replies on the phone. And I don't remember what I picked the first time round. Am I on the right track here?

Now that I think about it, maybe there are only x amount texts you can receive, therefore if I concentrate on replying only to one person, I'll get more texts from them...

Ok, I've got my first ending -
Irreversible Reboot
. Well, that was really unsatisfying. The game is telling me to play more!!! Damn you VNs with your multiple endings. I'm not sure how you reach other endings, you don't make decisions like you usually do, instead you send vague replies on the phone. And I don't remember what I picked the first time round. Am I on the right track here?

Now that I think about it, maybe there are only x amount texts you can receive, therefore if I concentrate on replying only to one person, I'll get more texts from them...

I got the same ending you did my first time and didn't understand how to get another ending. Because it's not all that clear, behind the spoiler will tell you exactly how to do it. It's very simple, but very easy to overlook, in my opinion. I would recommend you read it, just because you're barking up the completely wrong tree.

At times during the game, the little blinking cursor at the end of the displayed text will change, and show a cell phone tower or something like that. When one of those shows up, you can manually open the phone and send a text/make a phone call. To get your next ending, just load your most recent save file, and when Okabe is struggling to decide whether to send that last D-Mail to stop him from pursuing Suzuha, open your phone, and choose to send it. The game will then continue into the next chapter, and you'll be on your way to your next ending.

TheChaos0

I got the same ending you did my first time and didn't understand how to get another ending. Because it's not all that clear, behind the spoiler will tell you exactly how to do it. It's very simple, but very easy to overlook, in my opinion. I would recommend you read it, just because you're barking up the completely wrong tree.

At times during the game, the little blinking cursor at the end of the displayed text will change, and show a cell phone tower or something like that. When one of those shows up, you can manually open the phone and send a text/make a phone call. To get your next ending, just load your most recent save file, and when Okabe is struggling to decide whether to send that last D-Mail to stop him from pursuing Suzuha, open your phone, and choose to send it. The game will then continue into the next chapter, and you'll be on your way to your next ending.

I was 100% sure it was a decision time so I've made a save just before. I was expecting a prompt but I also considered making a call manually, because I remember the game forcing you to do it once. I then forgot all about after 10000th cycle...xD

Right, so can you get true ending in one playthrough? And do choices you make when you send texts change anything? Are the ending A/B sequential? Where choices AAAAA leads to true ending and each B leads to another ending? This would make getting all the endings easier.

Thanks a lot though, I would be living in this 2 day groundhog day for eternity otherwise. ;)

I think I've reached the point where I won't stop playing till I hit an ending. I'm part way through chapter 4. It picked up my interest so hard
Akihaba has lost all the moe stores. And Okarin just got sent a picture of a jelly. What made that jelly text actually scary was straight after I carried on, my own phone went off and I felt like my soul leapt from my body.

I'm gonna go hide under my duvet now.

TheChaos0

I think I've reached the point where I won't stop playing till I hit an ending. I'm part way through chapter 4. It picked up my interest so hard
Akihaba has lost all the moe stores. And Okarin just got sent a picture of a jelly. What made that jelly text actually scary was straight after I carried on, my own phone went off and I felt like my soul leapt from my body.

I'm gonna go hide under my duvet now.

I've reached this point today. I confess, I've skipped out on my routine today, because I wanted to find out what happens next!!! Shit is about to get as real as it gets...it probably gets more real afterwards...

I got tired of waiting and imported a copy.

So congrats everyone else, this virtually assures that a U.S. release date will be announced soon

I was 100% sure it was a decision time so I've made a save just before. I was expecting a prompt but I also considered making a call manually, because I remember the game forcing you to do it once. I then forgot all about after 10000th cycle...xD

Right, so can you get true ending in one playthrough? And do choices you make when you send texts change anything? Are the ending A/B sequential? Where choices AAAAA leads to true ending and each B leads to another ending? This would make getting all the endings easier.

Thanks a lot though, I would be living in this 2 day groundhog day for eternity otherwise. ;)

Yes, you can get the true ending in one playthrough, however, the chances of doing it unintentionally are basically zero. Heck, the chances of doing it after any number of playthroughs without a walkthrough is basically zero. The true ending is so ridiculously hidden I don't even known how it was ever discovered, unless the game files were hacked or something. I'll explain the game structure in the next spoiler if you're interested. I'll make sure to avoid any plot spoilers while doing so.

There are six endings. Four of the endings are easy. Three of them will be like what you just did. Choose to send a text or not to send a text. One choice gives you an endings, the other takes you on to the next chapter. The fourth easy ending is what happens when you enter chapter 10 with no true ending flags tripped.

There are six true ending flags in the game. Each must be tripped in order. If you miss the first, you get no opportunity to trip flags 2 through 6. The first one is also requires answering a series of texts accurately, so it's unlikely you'll do it accidentally. If you enter Chapter 10 without any TEF tripped (the most likely scenario), you'll get the fourth easy ending. If you enter with at least one, but don't get all six, you'll get the fifth ending. Getting all six TEF (including the one located in Chapter 10) will take you to the true ending.

Yes, you can get the true ending in one playthrough, however, the chances of doing it unintentionally are basically zero. Heck, the chances of doing it after any number of playthroughs without a walkthrough is basically zero. The true ending is so ridiculously hidden I don't even known how it was ever discovered, unless the game files were hacked or something. I'll explain the game structure in the next spoiler if you're interested. I'll make sure to avoid any plot spoilers while doing so.

There are six endings. Four of the endings are easy. Three of them will be like what you just did. Choose to send a text or not to send a text. One choice gives you an endings, the other takes you on to the next chapter. The fourth easy ending is what happens when you enter chapter 10 with no true ending flags tripped.

There are six true ending flags in the game. Each must be tripped in order. If you miss the first, you get no opportunity to trip flags 2 through 6. The first one is also requires answering a series of texts accurately, so it's unlikely you'll do it accidentally. If you enter Chapter 10 without any TEF tripped (the most likely scenario), you'll get the fourth easy ending. If you enter with at least one, but don't get all six, you'll get the fifth ending. Getting all six TEF (including the one located in Chapter 10) will take you to the true ending.

Just to add to this, if you do go through a chapter again to get the ending you can skip all previously read text assuming you've set it that way in the options by pressing start. When you get to a message that you can reply to, or a point where you have the option of picking up your phone then the auto skip will stop and you can try something new. It'll save loads of time.

I'm only saying this because I went through Virtue's Last Reward not knowing that such an option existed until after I got the plat. I'm pretty sure that this game is even more text heavy than that. Say what you will about the perks of the Japanese voices being in the EU game, but it's pretty fucking easy to get sick of Zero saying "Nonary gamuu ambidex edition".

Just a helpful tip.

saturnine

Finished the game some days ago, it was a good ride.
Okabe was a good protagonist, probably one of my favourite in recent memory. Started bottom tier and kept climbing up as things got more and more serious. I'm glad there is an unabashedly good ending, even with the ass pull Steins Gate world line. After the trauma conga line that was chapter 6 and the downer alternate endings, Okabe and the player deserved some happy closure.

Watched the anime adaptation after that. Turns out the english dub made the characters more enjoyable. It smoothed out some of their... uh... "japanese" quirkiness, making them more relatable, especially Mayuri. Might have been a good idea to give the same treatment to the game. Granted I have no idea what budget they had, probably not much.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I really hated Okarin from Chapters 1-5, he was absolutely cringeworthy.

At least after that he improved.

Watched the anime adaptation after that. Turns out the english dub made the characters more enjoyable. It smoothed out some of their... uh... "japanese" quirkiness, making them more relatable, especially Mayuri. Might have been a good idea to give the same treatment to the game. Granted I have no idea what budget they had, probably not much.
It would have been nice, but to have the voiceover for such a large text would have been very costly. Especially to have a quality cast like the anime had.

saturnine

It would have been nice, but to have the voiceover for such a large text would have been very costly. Especially to have a quality cast like the anime had.

yeah... thinking about it, seems like every single line of dialogue in Steins;Gate is voice acted, unlike other visual novels like VLR.

My zavvi order from March just changed from "Awaiting Stock Pick" to "Awaiting Dispatch" and the PS3 version is back in stock on the site

itshappening.gif

EDIT: And despatched

zakujanai

I was aware that this is what I was supposed to do, it dropped some pretty big hints. I just chose not to because
I couldn't bring myself to derive Suzuha of knowing who her father was

Zalman

I'm at chapter 3. I've played all the major visual novels out there, but I feel like the pacing in this one is off. A lot of filler moments that don't really accomplish anything and are just a waste of time.

That said, when it gets going, it really gets going. The story is starting to really engage me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hmm, I don't know what you consider filler, but the things I considered filler are stuff that later on are used to build an emotional payoff.

Im liking what im seeing here from some about Okarin and its one of the things I loved most about this VN.
While I never hated him at any point,(i just found him eccentric as all fuck at the start), Okarin became god tier as it went on and shit got real.

Welp, I just got an email telling me my order from Zavvi has dispatched. And it only took three weeks! Now that's what I call service.

Im liking what im seeing here from some about Okarin and its one of the things I loved most about this VN.
While I never hated him at any point,(i just found him eccentric as all fuck at the start), Okarin became god tier as it went on and shit got real.

Yeah. He was a bit annoying at first, then by maybe the start of Chapter 3 he had grown on me enough that his oddness didn't bother me. By the end, he is just absolutely awesome.
And all that time you spend listening to his delusions and nonsense, even when things start to get bad, really helps to drive home just how much despair he's feeling and how much he's hurting in those scenes when he just drops it all and screams it doesn't matter. And then that helps build the excitement and the hope when his chuni nonsense makes its triumphant return in the true ending. The more I think about it, the more I realize just how well done his character building is.

zakujanai

One thing that's winding me up in chapter 7 is
looking for the IBN 5100 when it disappeared right after Moeka sent her D-Mail.
I mean after what Okabe had learnt in previous chapters, his total inability to work out what has happened is way beyond my ability to believe. It was apparent what had happened way before he learnt
that she was working for SERN and yet he persisted in asking how it had been "stolen".

OMG Aero

Could someone who has finished the game answer a quick question for me?
I just got to the start of chapter
and I'm wondering if I've missed an ending somewhere. So far I've got
the Faris, Lukako and Suzuha endings and I was expecting there to be another ending for chapter 9 (the chapter where you try to cancel Moeka's D-Mail) and there are a few points in that chapter where you can choose to send a D-Mail/time leap and different things happen if you don't but all the options just seemed to lead to chapter 10.
Did I miss an alternate ending somewhere in that chapter or does chapter 9 not have an ending?

the Faris, Lukako and Suzuha endings and I was expecting there to be another ending for chapter 9 (the chapter where you try to cancel Moeka's D-Mail) and there are a few points in that chapter where you can choose to send a D-Mail/time leap and different things happen if you don't but all the options just seemed to lead to chapter 10.
Did I miss an alternate ending somewhere in that chapter or does chapter 9 not have an ending?

Nope, no ending in Chapter 9, just an optional scene.

Dunan

My copy finally arrived from the UK. (And when I had just gotten back from Akihabara, in fact.) I had this in Japanese for the PSP a few years ago and sold it without ever really playing it. Pumped!

rrc2soft

There is no alternative ending on chapter 9. There is only an explanation about why Moeka was killed by the little brat if you choose to not send the D-Mail

Top Bottom