• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Name Subject to Change

Gradon

Just picked up the Limited Edition of this from GAME for £20. All I can say is I am jaw dropped that GAME was the cheapest and had the LE for £20. Been wanting to get into this series for ages and thought I'd rather play the PS3 version than watch the anime.

Still wondering whether I can be bothered to go for my remaining
Kurisu/true
endings I haven't seen or just give the anime a look so it'll have something new to show.

I just ain't feeling up for a flowchart guided run so soon but I've got loose ends here!

Prelude.

Still wondering whether I can be bothered to go for my remaining
Kurisu/true
endings I haven't seen or just give the anime a look so it'll have something new to show.

I just ain't feeling up for a flowchart guided run so soon but I've got loose ends here!
The VN's execution of the true ending is near perfect, don't watch the anime before you finish the game entirely.

I don't know what to actually write. I'm super enjoying it. I didn't sleep until 7am today (British Summer Time) because I stayed up playing it. Now I've played it more.

I'm at chapter 7 (so spoilers to this point?).
Feris is just doing the RaiNet tournament after taking some sunglasses and earplugs
The endless Mayuri death sequence repeating itself. Like fuck. That's when I couldn't put the game down. The time travel stuff got even more interesting with the time leap stuff. Also Mayuri dying made me cry a bit.
The arc with Suzuha and trying to fix her time machine. That was some raw emotion shit. Daru saying bye the Suzuha was sad. Finding out Suzuha committed suicide was heart wrenching. Erasing the 4 days was pretty sad. Then even though she didn't commit suicide and died of illness, that was pretty damn sad as well. The whole soft determinism of it all.

I can imagine I'll hit an ending soon. Well soon in visual novel terms is still hours and hours.
I'm definitely gonna watch the anime after I've beaten the game (including all the endings). I'm probably gonna try and do another ending blind and then break out the guide.

zakujanai

I can imagine I'll hit an ending soon. Well soon in visual novel terms is still hours and hours.
I'm definitely gonna watch the anime after I've beaten the game (including all the endings). I'm probably gonna try and do another ending blind and then break out the guide.

You actually just missed one. People seem to find it unsatisfying but I rather liked it. If you're on chapter 7 there's another you could get soon too depending on your choices in that chapter. Chapter 7 felt a bit filler-full for must of it but definitely got me interested towards the end, some tough decisions to be made.

cj_iwakura

Met J. Michael Tatum(Okarin's dub voice) at Supercon.

90vom2i.jpg

:D He's kind of a fan. Said he hasn't finished the VN, though. He sounded excited when I told him about the possibility of the Chaos;Head VN coming out here.

oldmario

end game spoilers
i beat the game last night with the mayuri ending but along the way i also got the suzuha, feris and luka endings too after i figured out that i accidentally ended the game with suzuha originally, i'm trying to find a guide to get the other 2 endings but they're kinda conflicting, one guide mentions something and another doesn't, anyone got one that's gonna be able correctly guide me to the true ending and also help with the remaining trophies i have since there isn't actually a guide on playstationtrophies

Oldmario, here's the one I've used for my playthrough
http://ibm5100.net/steinswiki/2011/10/22/steinsgate-walkthrough-all-endings-100-cg-achievements/

All the endings work (I can personally confirm) but a couple trophies are missing. I'll try and point them out once I finish my last route.

That one's really outdated and based on a buggy unofficial fan patch.

I think this one is the definitive one at this point: http://steins-gate.wikia.com/wiki/Steins;Gate_100%_Completion_Walkthrough

Chapter 8 now.

The ending of chapter 7 (and kinda the start of chapter 8) were really sad. Just Feris just not remembering made me cry.

Either it is easy to make me cry or this game is actually sad.

bobawesome

Chapter 8 now.

The ending of chapter 7 (and kinda the start of chapter 8) were really sad. Just Feris just not remembering made me cry.

Either it is easy to make me cry or this game is actually sad.

Possibly both! You'll be destroyed by the end.

So how amazingly mind blowing is this game? Found an EU copy for $39.99 and thinking of importing it.

It's a very good VN. If you like time travel I'd say buy it :p
It has a slow start but once you reach a certain chapter you won't be able to drop it. It became a problem for me, I cant' find a good spot to save to take a break x)

So how amazingly mind blowing is this game? Found an EU copy for $39.99 and thinking of importing it.

Slow build up to a payoff I found immensely satisfying.
Ive played so many games in my life but I have never encountered an ending in 22 years that I just found so fulfilling.

But I cant speak for you.
If you like time travel concepts and just a well written story go for it.
And if you do take the plunge then FFS let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks for the input guys. How long is the VN? Is it heavy choice based?
It took me 20 hours to get the plat, and 18-19 hours of that were just spent on the plot (although I did get 4 endings on the way), the last was clearing up.

As for choice, it's minimal but has a strong effect. This isn't like a Telltale game where you answer every choice with a comment, your choices essentially are a part of whether you answer your phone, which message you reply with if you do so and that's really it. Of the Vita VNs that I've played (VLR and the Danganronpa games) it's the one with the least gameplay but by far the best story. A worthy trade off, IMO.

TheChaos0

Slow build up to a payoff I found immensely satisfying.
Ive played so many games in my life but I have never encountered an ending in 22 years that I just found so fulfilling.

But I cant speak for you.
If you like time travel concepts and just a well written story go for it.
And if you do take the plunge then FFS let us know how it works out for you.

Did you play 999? That ending...

Also, I can totally accept Chapter 7 ending, no other ending is needed.
NyanNyan power! While similar in theory with the Chapter 6 ending, it couldn't be any further away from tonally. Chapter 6 is full despair while Chapter 7 is at least much more hopeful. People were saved, maybe SERN never completes the time machine now..or maybe they will and the world will diverge again onto that future.

Why did the divergence meter say .2 instead of 0.2 though. I'm not aware of any difference in the notation here, so what does it mean? If it's something shows up later...I don't want to know.

Now to get to Chapter 8... I wonder if the choices before the last one even matter...I'll give it a try.

Did you play 999? That ending...

Also, I can totally accept Chapter 7 ending, no other ending is needed.
NyanNyan power! While similar in theory with the Chapter 6 ending, it couldn't be any further away from tonally. Chapter 6 is full despair while Chapter 7 is at least much more hopeful. People were saved, maybe SERN never completes the time machine now..or maybe they will and the world will diverge again onto that future.

Why did the divergence meter say .2 instead of 0.2 though. I'm not aware of any difference in the notation here, so what does it mean? If it's something shows up later...I don't want to know.

Now to get to Chapter 8... I wonder if the choices before the last one even matter...I'll give it a try.
I think the theory is that
the Divergence Meter is glitching out trying to display a negative number. Of course, the very fact that it exists in that worldline doesn't look good for the future.

Kama_1082

Banned
So I just finished Ch 1 and I'm following the platinum guide. I noticed that I was supposed to get certain emails and those emails never arrived

Like I needed to respond to a one certain email about the IBN in the cafe and it never arrived
is it bugged or is because it's something I did/didn't do?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's an approximation of 1/7.
As in the fact there's
7 members of the Future Lab?
Edit: No, wait,
there's 8, right?

.....or maybe it references 1 out of 7 girls in the series you can choose frOMG HIYOKU RENRI NO DARLING CONFIRMED.

oldmario

beat the game and got the plat, gonna miss
tuturu♪

endgame spoilers
that nae laugh is gonna haunt me forever

UberTag

Will be making an effort to import this should a North American release not get formally announced during Anime Expo weekend.

MetalDeer

Welp, after 4 weeks of not knowing if my parcel was lost or stolen because of goddamn SAL shipping, finally got this!

Yup, worth it.

Yeah, SAL is slooooow. I don't know what mine was doing for almost a month, but it arrived in perfect condition, so I guess I can't really complain. It's a really nice artbook.

Top Bottom