• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen Hawking is a mediocre scientist

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
While we're at it, let's clarify that Neil Degrasse Tyson is more of a spokesman these days than a scientist

entremet

Scientists have been notoriously petty toward contemporaries. Just read some history on the matter.

It's like Mean Girls 10x.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Let's have this fight right now. Who are everyone's top 10 scientists? I'll go first.

1. Einstein
  2. Edison
  3. Copernicus
  4. Whitney
  5. DaVinci
  6. Archimedes
  7. Nye
  8. DeGrasse Tyson
  9. Sagan
  10. Perkins

lol at this list

1. Newton

2. Tesla

3. Einstein

4. Galileo

5. Faraday

6. Darwin

7. Pasteur

8. DaVinci

9. Aristotle

10. Curie.

Let's have this fight right now. Who are everyone's top 10 scientists? I'll go first.

1. Einstein
  2. Edison
  3. Copernicus
  4. Whitney
  5. DaVinci
  6. Archimedes
  7. Nye
  8. DeGrasse Tyson
  9. Sagan
  10. Perkins

Aren't these guys like talking heads? Have they actually developed or discovered something groundbreaking to mankind?

Malreyn

I thought scientists liked their theories to be disproved.

Was about to say just this....the whole point of science is to come up with hypothesis that begged to be tested and disproven. That's the whole point of scientific method.

Hari Seldon

Hawking could have been a great scientist, but his disease definitely held him way back. He can't play around with equations and his speed of communication is dogshit slow.

besada

Banned
Nothing like a dumb, reductive post to combat dumb, reductive posting.

No, Stephen Hawking has no specialized knowledge of AI or what AI is likely to do if ever created. Like Bill Joy, his opinion on the subject is only as informed as an interested outside observer on the subject.

On the other hand, neither that, nor changes in theory since he did his original work, make him a mediocre scientist.

Stephen Hawking was the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at University of Cambridge for thirty years. He's shared this incredibly prestigious post with people like Isaac Newton, Charles Babbage, and Paul Dirac.

He is not a god, and he is not infallible, particularly outside of his discipline, but the OP says more about the OP than it does about Hawking's quality as a scientist.

Unbounded

1. Einstein
  2. Edison
  3. Copernicus
  4. Whitney
  5. DaVinci
  6. Archimedes
  7. Nye
  8. DeGrasse Tyson
  9. Sagan
  10. Perkins

Only Einstein and Archimedes are a lock on that list.

Also disappointed Newton isn't on your list. Nor Maxwell, Planck, Schrodinger, etc etc.

EDIT: Oh shit, I forgot Faraday.

Dammit, the point is just that there's way more awesome scientists than those guys that were popularized.

dionysus

Yaldog
Scientist is too broad a term. Discovering penicillin or DDT is probably more influential to the human condition than relativity or the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, at least at this stage of the history, but I doubt most people would put Fleming and Muller ahead of Planck, Einstein, or Heisenberg.

Got to limit it to apples to apples comparisons. Chemists compared to chemist. Theoretical astrophysicist compared to theoretical astrophysicist. I will say Newton is my personal god just for his mathematics contributions.

Edit. Quantum mechanics field getting no love here. Planck has to be in the top 5 right.

cdyhybrid

Are we using a committee to determine the Top 10 or are we using media polls and computer algorithms?

Newton needs to be in.

CrunchyB

Hawking would never have gotten as much attention if he was a normal functioning human being. That doesn't make him a mediocre scientist. Einstein was a rock star in his age, but it was probably more because of his witty one-liners than his groundbreaking science.

There are plenty of brilliant scientists (dead and alive) that are practically unknown outside of academic circles. Several are in Hawking or even Einstein's league, but they never entered popular culture because they weren't very interesting public figures.

So what? So was Newton's theory, and Newton is pretty definitely among the top 1 scientists.

If you ask some random person "what can you tell me about Isaac Newton", I'm pretty sure only physicists and engineers will tell you about Newton's laws. The rest will start rambling about apples.

Speaking of Sir Isaac, he spent a lot of time studying alchemy. Such a hack. Also, why didn't he use mathematical notation? His long-winded texts are so very confusing :p

All hail Euler!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Its a anon NeoGAFfer claiming Stephen Hawking is dumb and doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean, he's a little more qualified than you are, unless you are actually a astrophysicist - there is no real way to verify or backup whatever his legitimately qualified critics say because nobody on GAF has a fucking clue what either party is talking about.

terrisus

Schrodinger

Psh, would you trust a scientist who didn't even know if he took care of his cat correctly?

He's no Pavlov, that's for sure.

apples to apples comparisons. I will say Newton

isee.jpg

terrisus

If you ask some random person "what can you tell me about Isaac Newton", I'm pretty sure only physicists and engineers will tell you about Newton's laws. The rest will start rambling about apples.

"Random people" lack knowledge - news at 11!

Volimar

lol @ gaffers throwing shade on geniuses.

Nothing like a dumb, reductive post to combat dumb, reductive posting.

No, Stephen Hawking has no specialized knowledge of AI or what AI is likely to do if ever created. Like Bill Joy, his opinion on the subject is only as informed as an interested outside observer on the subject.

On the other hand, neither that, nor changes in theory since he did his original work, make him a mediocre scientist.

Stephen Hawking was the Lucasian Chair of Mathematics at University of Cambridge for thirty years. He's shared this incredibly prestigious post with people like Isaac Newton, Charles Babbage, and Paul Dirac.

He is not a god, and he is not infallible, particularly outside of his discipline, but the OP says more about the OP than it does about Hawking's quality as a scientist.

Well said.

Trey

Edit. Quantum mechanics field getting no love here. Planck has to be in the top 5 right.

Hasn't really led to anything practical yet. it's still mostly being formalized in theory.

Whereas the work of Einstein, maxwell, bohr led to shit like the Manhattan project, space programs, modern electronics.

Newt

1. Mendel
2. Darwin
3. Newton
4. Einstein
5. Galileo
6. Rutherford
7. Kepler
8. Curie
9. Watson + Crick
10. Tesla

dionysus

Yaldog
Hasn't really led to anything practical yet. it's still mostly being formalized in theory.

Whereas the work of Einstein, maxwell, bohr led to shit like the Manhattan project, space programs, modern electronics.

That is why my first paragraph talked about penicillin and DDT. Both of those have saved 100s of millions of lives. Got to define how we measure greatness.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
without making an assertion one way or the other on stephen hawking's level of genius. i just want to say that even being a mediocre scientist is deserving of the utmost respect. not many of us can argue that we're pushing the species forward in a meaningful way in our day to day.

additionally, the guy has had to battle some physical limitations.

NO Galileo and Newton make me sad.

Yeah, anyone who has a top 10 scientists list and doesn't include Newton just does not really follow science. Newton invented new math to track stars as the math of the time wasn't sufficient enough. We owe a lot to Newton.

without making an assertion one way or the other on stephen hawking's level of genius. i just want to say that even being a mediocre scientist is deserving of the utmost respect. not many of us can argue that we're pushing the species forward in a meaningful way in our day to day.

additionally, the guy has had to battle some physical limitations.

Eh. One could argue that you being alive pushes the species forward in a meaningful way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom