• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stinger strikes again: SF4 @ JAMMA plus more...

Hellraizah said:
Dreamcast was good yes, but for 2D, it was a Neo Geo wannabe.

Neo Geo isn't technically better for 2D as far as I heard.

Anyway, Street Fighter 4 would rock so much it might make my head explode.

anotheriori said:
probably died when okamoto and other capcom dev leads left.

speaking of which.. who's the talent behind this installment? if CFJ is their last effort and SVC/KOF2001 is indicative of a WIP after a decent chunk of talent has left.. i fear what the outcome is.

Ah, now there's the rub; so much of the talent that put their all into MvC2, CvS2, and SF3 are scattered to the four winds. Cap's in the black; they can afford to rehire them.

Takuan

There's no way Capcom would go lazy and put low-res recycled shit in SF4. I'm confident the sprites'll be high-res and also be animated superbly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
meh, fuck 2d fighters...

the REAL news is the return of sega. cant wait to see those titles, especially SEGA RALLY 3!. i'll do my best isamu impression as soon as thats confirmed

tetsuoxb

The real news is how utterly fanboy wetdream that bullshit list is.

If any of you actually put stock into that list, you are all far sillier than I originally thought.

japtor

any reason they wouldnt go with naomi for sf4, like how many naomi and atomiswave systems are out there?

If I remember correctly, the Atomiswave panel only has 5 buttons.
thats just the guilty gear setup afaik. not sure if it uses jamma+ or jvs or some custom thing for its controls. should be fine with 6 buttons though. pictures of the guilty gear panels on sanwas site: http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/p_panel.htm

Cave
-Shoot’em-up X (Proprietary Hardware)
-Online Tank Battle (Proprietary Hardware)
i can understand the shooter...but anyone have a clue about what 'online tank battle' is?
edit- nevermind, sorta:
http://www.cave-online.jp/game/otb/index.html
http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000473.html

Ferrio

Banned
Pfft
SF4 who the fuck cares. No one plays that shit anymore. Shit in SF3 everyone was lame and played the same fucking way.

Now DOA4, there's something to look foward too.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Ferrio said:
Pfft
SF4 who the fuck cares. No one plays that shit anymore. Shit in SF3 everyone was lame and played the same fucking way.

Now DOA4, there's something to look foward too.

Whatever dude...

tenchir

Spec:

CPU : Hitachi SH-4 64-bit RISC CPU (200 MHz 360 MIPS / 1.4 GFLOPS)
Graphic Engine : PowerVR 2 (PVR2DC)
Sound Engine : ARM7 Yamaha AICA 45 MHZ (with internal 32-bit RISC CPU, 64 channel ADPCM)
Main Ram : 32 megs
Main Memory : 16 MByte
Graphic Memory : 16 MByte
Sound Memory : 8 MByte
Media : ROM Board
Simultaneous Number of Colors : Approx. 16,770,000 (24bits)
Polygons : 2.5 Million polys/sec
Rendering Speed : 500 M pixel/sec
Additional Features : Bump Mapping, Fog, Alpha-Bending (transparency), Mip Mapping (polygon-texture auto switch), Tri-Linear Filtering, Anti-Aliasing, Environment Mapping, and Specular Effect.
Network : It is possible to connect the systems on the network using both 56K modem or broadband connection using the AW-Net.

It's basically a Dreamcast with more RAM. So it should be able to handle high resolution. They went with this instead of Lindberg(much faster processor with PVR series 5 graphics) because the hardware is much cheaper and a lot of arcades already have it.

tetsuoxb

Im writing down the names of every single person silly enough to think that SF4 is gonna be announced, at JAMMA of all places, for future mockery. The series is owned by Capcom USA, and they are not going to annouce an arcade game (like there is an arcade market in the states), on a platform with no functionally equivalent market viable home console, at a show that the US market mostly ignores. You guys honestly think that Capcom USA would make an arcade game for a non-existant market just to port the code from a souped up dreamcast to one of the next gen consoles... Use your heads people. Seriously.

Secondly I would be absolutely 100% shocked that Sega would annouce 5 lindbergh games at one show. 5 franchise arcade titles all be shown at the same time? The arcade market in Japan is healthier than the states, but not <THAT> healthy. 5 games... That's not gonna happen either...

This Stinger dude has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.

hiryu

Oh man I hope Street Fighter 4 is true. I kind of believe it is because of all the rumors lately. Also, Capcom USA now owns the rights to Street Fighter so I have no idea who would be the developer. It's very possible they had the old Street Fighter team make it. If this is true I'm also betting that all the art is done by Udon and I'm betting the story is done by them too. I remember reading a bunch of rumors about Udon working on a new Street Fighter game when Capcom USA bought the rights from Capcom Japan. The hardware makes perfect sense too since Capcom no longer makes their own arcade hardware and most 2D games are on Atomiswave now anyways.

jarrod

Banned
xexex said:
Stinger reported to us that Daytona USA 3 (Arcade) and Daytona LIVE (Xbox) was on the way, yet it never happened. I will therefore not believe anything they have to say about Street Fighter 4 until I see it happen
Actually, Stinger conceded he got his wires crossed on those. Daytona 3 turned out to be DC Daytona 2001 and Daytona Live turned out to just be the expanded Xbox Outrun 2. He also mentioned Sega Rally 3 may not be 100%, and it may simply refer to the PS2 Sega Rally 2005.

drohne said:
wait, wasn't dk jungle fever revealed to be some sort of prize redemption contraption rather than a videogame? why would it be on triforce? i'm skeptical!
Probably to display high quality realtime 3D. The Tekken Pachislot game uses System 246 similarly.

Culex

Banned
Do we have any pics of Afterburner running on Lindberg yet?

I'm really stoked to see what the game looks like.

Jeffahn

Culex said:
Do we have any pics of Afterburner running on Lindberg yet?

I'm really stoked to see what the game looks like.

afterburner3.jpg

Here

jarrod

Banned
I shoulkd point out that this list is entirely preliminary, Stinger's admitted that some of these may be false leads. I'm hoping at least that Druaga Online and Street Fighter 4 are the real deal though.

Flo_Evans

wakes up...

clicks on thread...

SF4! OMGWTFBBQ

craps pants...

opps I wasn't wearing any pants!

cleans up and goes to play SF aniversary collection!

edit: if they don't redraw the sprites in hi-res I will personaly fly to japan and dragon kick CAPCOM in the head.

tetsuoxb

MoxManiac said:
Keep in mind Udon was hinting at a new SF, and they have actual ties to Capcom.

Udon (a comics company) also more than hinted at a Rival Schools comic that still hasn't seen the light of day.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
tetsuoxb said:
Udon (a comics company) also more than hinted at a Rival Schools comic that still hasn't seen the light of day.

Can you please stop trying to shatter the fantasy?! We know it's not coming! Just let us have this moment!!!

Tain

Yeah... The more I think about it, the sillier it seems for SF4 to be at this show.

I do believe it could happen, though. Eventually. Want to know what's even more amazing? I think Capcom USA could do a better job with it than stuff like CFJ. Western developers have caught up in one way or another in every other genre, so that'd be interesting to see.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
SF4 won't be at this show.

Capcom USA owns the rights to Street Fighter now and Capcom USA shut down their arcade division a few years ago. If a new SF game happens, it won't be in arcades.

Jeffahn

I'll laugh my head off if Daytona 3 makes an appearance 'coz I jokingly added to a list of expected Lindbergh games a while back, though nobody seemed to pick up on it.

eso76 said:
A Dreamcast is like 10 times more powerful than neogeo for 2D...

Seriously. I don't know why people would think ancient stuff like Neo Geo is better at 2D than more modern DC and AW. DC and AW have like tons more RAM to store animation frames, and can do many more FXs with 2D image via mapping them as textures.

2D is just 3D without the Z plane, people.

Jeffahn said:

:lol Those are caps from my E3 video.

LakeEarth

Ferrio said:
Pfft
QFStupidity.

Anyways, I'm really excited for this, as I'm almost 100% sure it'll be 2D. The thing is, there are also probably going to be 3 interations of this game (for balance and throwing in extra characters) so I'm not TOO excited. I love the balance in 3rd Strike (it isn't perfect but still), but I don't think developers can really 'see' the tiers when they make the characters.

Tain

Seriously. I don't know why people would think ancient stuff like Neo Geo is better at 2D than more modern DC and AW. DC and AW have like tons more RAM to store animation frames, and can do many more FXs with 2D image via mapping them as textures.

2D is just 3D without the Z plane, people.

My guess for the NeoGeo side of the argument is that its cartridge based, so ram isn't an issue.

That hardly outweighs all of the other problems, though.

Tain said:
My guess for the NeoGeo side of the argument is that its cartridge based, so ram isn't an issue.

That's nonsense. Carts use to be relatively fast compared to optical media at dumping data to RAM, but the data still must be moved into RAM to be used.

RAM has always been and will always remain, an issue.

Tain

I was always under the impression that the NeoGeo had almost no ram (like, 64k) due to the speed of the cartridges. That's why the NeoGeo CD was released, was cheap, and didn't get many of the later Neo titles due to ram constraints, despite having more ram than the cart system.

Tain said:
I was always under the impression that the NeoGeo had almost no ram (like, 64k) due to the speed of the cartridges.

64KByte RAM + 64KByte VRAM was about the norm for 16bit era.

That's why the NeoGeo CD was released, was cheap, and didn't get many of the later Neo titles due to ram constraints, despite having more ram than the cart system.

NeoGeo CD bombed because it had a dirt slow CD drive. Took forever to load stuff compared to the cart system.

edit: Kinda weird too, since 1x CD drive (512KB/sec) should be able to transfer the 128KB of RAM in less than a second. But I distinctly remember tryng out the NeoGeo CD at summer CES in Chicago ('91? '92? '93? I don't remember) and waiting 12+ fucking seconds for the thing to load before playing, and thinking how unbearably slow it was.... Was the NeoGeo CD even slower than 1x CD-ROM drives?!?

Top Bottom