• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
Embrace it. Never sell. Hold cash positions. This is how we make big money.
giphy.gif

Also, for my fellow PLTR bag holders:

Averaged down my position to 24.86 and hoping we don't see it hit 22 tomorrow. On a knife-edge 🥶

We’re at support levels now. Will be interesting to see if it drops below. Even if that’s the case, you’re going to find all of the know-it-alls who claim to hate this company load up in the teens.

And I’ll be averaging down. I’ve seen it before. “Twitter is a shit company”. Hits low teens after IPO, bounces between 24-40 for years, and then finally was up over $70.

tl;dr: this is a super long term horizon stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Already down another percent. Should probably try not to look. Hoping it’s just the 3 day rule and Monday things have cooled off.

People are worried about inflation. People are worried about things they cannot control. It’s like I tell my wife. This is fucking stupid.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Don't go long then. Go short on the market and hedge your positions. Lock in your gains via hedgeing so you don't need to average down until the market re-balances.

shoegaze

Don't go long then. Go short on the market and hedge your positions. Lock in your gains via hedgeing so you don't need to average down until the market re-balances.
How do you calculate the size of the position you want to take on a short to hedge against your long to cover it 100%? Size of margin being lets say 50% of your longs? Sorry if the answer is obvious.

Eh I'm not complaining, last few days sucked, but overall I'm down 6% from my recent all time highs. It is what it is. Holding strong, and picking up a little shares where I think it's a good deal.

I think we go back up next week. Maybe even today.

ManofOne

Plus Member
How do you calculate the size of the position you want to take on a short to hedge against your long to cover it 100%? Size of margin being lets say 50% of your longs? Sorry if the answer is obvious.

That would vary based on the weights in your portfolio, volatility of your positions etc. However, you can protect yourself by reducing downside by taking an opposite position during high volatility periods.

If the yeild curve keeps rising (which it will, I would say around 2.0% by year end) positions will continue to reset or valuations will adjust based on that expectation before inflation worries kick in on margins.

You can make portofolio beta neutral depending on the positions you take (does not remove black swan events)

Last edited:
Was waiting for VTI to drop below $200 and SPY to drop below $380 to make my monthly purchase and both allllllllllllllllmost got there and went "haha, nah, just kidding"

GHG

It was such a promising start...

Trimmed my position on PLTR at market open. Should have trimmed more at this rate.

Only good news out of all of this is that it's looking like the new support level for AAPL is around the 120 mark so let's see what it does today. If it hovers around there for a few days I'll take the opportunity to average down a bit.

GHG

Seriously fuck PLTR, fuck GME and fuck all these other meme stocks.

I've somehow even managed to get lumbered with a meme ETF in ARKK.

Edit: PLTR is finished... Fuck me.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Oh I know.

I just made the foolish assumption that "actively managed" actually meant something, not just "if in doubt buy more tesla".

Active manage funds are worst in these kind of conditions especially when they tout uncorrelated alpha. Correlations are at their worst right now.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
PLTR will crash again a few weeks before lockup expiration and then a few days after. So it looks like its going to be a long road for the stock once lockup expires unless the stock is a cashcow.

PLTR will crash again a few weeks before lockup expiration and then a few days after. So it looks like its going to be a long road for the stock once lockup expires unless the stock is a cashcow.

Yeah the dumping has already begun. $21.5m here, and I think Peter Thiel dumped $500m, lol

Dynasty8

Bought 100 shares of Rocket Mortgage aka Rocket Companies, Inc. (RKT). Been hearing a lot of good stuff about these guys and they blew way past their earnings. Looking like a long term buy and hold for me. Also bought some of that TSLA dip...though I am kinda scared we're going to see it dip some more.

ManofOne

Plus Member

GameStop is a $10 stock on BofA's fundamentals check​

• Long-time GameStop (GME +11.3%) bear Bank of America tries to turn the conversation back to fundamentals.
  • "In our view, GME is starting from a very challenged position including negative EBTIDA, persistent digital disintermediation and declining customer engagement. We also question the merits of a greater push online (which is likely to further hurt profitability near term on needed investments) as it could negatively impact high margin pre-owned and collectible segments."
  • BofA is convinced fundamentals will again factor into valuation and notes that at the current GameStop price and GME's 5-year average EV/EBITDA of 3.7x, the implied EBITDA is $1.85B vs. the -$65M generated in 2020.
  • Adding it all up leaves BofA with an Underperform rating and price target of $10.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Yeah the dumping has already begun. $21.5m here, and I think Peter Thiel dumped $500m, lol

Yah you already seen that, it will continue moving closer towards the IPO price and then shoot up. You can buy now and average down but make sure the company is worth your buy.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Watching that convergence. I posted something like this last week. S&P dividend yield and 10 year treasury yields are getting closer

bDj5VU0.jpg

Top Bottom