• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

Starfield

Can someone recommend a good broker service in Europe (or international?)?

I'm using flatex right now and its just...shit. The fees are ridicilious per trade. im looking for something cheaper

GHG

Can someone recommend a good broker service in Europe (or international?)?

I'm using flatex right now and its just...shit. The fees are ridicilious per trade. im looking for something cheaper

Interactive Brokers.

Can anyone explain Groupons jumping 30 percent other than earnings?

It's absurd. Who the hell still uses that shit?

The only companies on there are bottom of the barrel shit that are on the Verge of going out of business. Or at least that's the case where I live.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Interactive Brokers.

It's absurd. Who the hell still uses that shit?

The only companies on there are bottom of the barrel shit that are on the Verge of going out of business. Or at least that's the case where I live.
I thought all those Groupon and daily deal site shit died 4-5 years ago.

There was a big splash and then it suddenly disappeared like nobody gave a shit about deals anymore.

I love deals and never did them. Anything with physical costs had shit deals unless you wanted two for ones ice cream cones. All I remember deals being were $8 yoga classes or two for one helicopter rides. Any service which all they cared about was filling out a room with as many people they could for bargain fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Honey Bunny

I want to get some more of last week's losses back while yields stabilize short term so I'm not dumping my frothy growth stocks immediately. I guess I need to watch the 10yr like a hawk from now on.

Could be a big mistake, idk. Trying not to time the market too much vs trying not to panic sell.

+3.6% today

Last edited:

Delf

Banned
I was up at 4am.. I was 100% cash and able to go back in at sale prices.

PLTR, SOS, BGNO, VACQ are mine! Then went back in on GIK with the Amazon news 🙏🏻

Grabbed CIDM, NEPT, and CDMI for some under $5.
OTC pulled in ASTI with the news of the NASA deal on solar panels. Went up 110% off that.

At +18% and I hope going up.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
(+4.39%). I'll take it.

Some shady shit happened the last half our. My Michaels Stores (MIK) suddenly jumped 10% the last 15 minutes on huge volume. Earnings are Thursday.

Fuck Ya!

Michaels, bolstered by the pandemic craft boom, is attracting buyout interest from private equity.​

March 1, 2021, 3:45 p.m. ET28 minutes ago
28 minutes ago
By Lauren Hirsch

Apollo Global Management and at least one other private equity firm have expressed interest in acquiring Michaels, the hobby retailer, according to two people familiar with the situation.

A buyout would return the retailer to private hands after seven years as a public company. The values of the bids weren't clear.

Bolstered by a pandemic boom in home crafts, shares of the retailer, which has more than 1,200 stores and some 44,000 employees, have risen by nearly 300 percent over the past year, giving it a market capitalization of around $2.3 billion.

The people, who requested anonymity because the outreach is still confidential, said it is possible that Michaels would opt against a deal. The company is due to report its latest earnings on Thursday.

Michaels did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Michaels, like others in the arts and crafts industry, has seen its business boosted by the pandemic as people turn to hobbies during stay-at-home orders. Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts, once struggling, filed for to go public last month after a rise in sales during the pandemic. Shares of Etsy have quadrupled over the past 12 months.

Last edited:

GHG

There was a big splash and then it suddenly disappeared like nobody gave a shit about deals anymore.

I love deals and never did them. Anything with physical costs had shit deals unless you wanted two for ones ice cream cones. All I remember deals being were $8 yoga classes or two for one helicopter rides. Any service which all they cared about was filling out a room with as many people they could for bargain fees.

The bold is precisely how the companies and Groupon make so much money from this. Had a mate in London years ago who used to work for them in their sales team and its something they would talk about with prospective clients as part of the pitch - the fact that a high proportion of coupon buyers never actually redeem their coupons so it's effectively free money for the client company.

Now that I think of it, that's probably part of what keeps these companies that frequently appear on Groupon in business.

GHG

Snap. Have some for a long, long term hold. Rocket Lab look like a solid company right now and seem to be well positioned for the future so I'm 100% comfortable holding at my current average of 14.

Was also looking at NIO since earnings are coming in a few hours but I think I missed a good price on that last week for a quick in and out and of course... It's a fucking meme stock so I simply can't be asked holding it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The bold is precisely how the companies and Groupon make so much money from this. Had a mate in London years ago who used to work for them in their sales team and its something they would talk about with prospective clients as part of the pitch - the fact that a high proportion of coupon buyers never actually redeem their coupons so it's effectively free money for the client company.

Now that I think of it, that's probably part of what keeps these companies that frequently appear on Groupon in business.

Thats wild to me but also sort of remiinds me of giftcards that go unspent.

I use groupon almost exclusively for a local custard place. Its often 70 percent off with groupon. Have used it least dozen times.

GHG

Thats wild to me but also sort of remiinds me of giftcards that go unspent.

I use groupon almost exclusively for a local custard place. Its often 70 percent off with groupon. Have used it least dozen times.

Yeh if you can get a discount on somewhere you already go then it absolutely makes sense but my god I burnt through a lot of cash trying a lot of bad places out that were on there when it was in its infancy.

In other news... RIP NIO after hours.

I think selling dildos and other adult sex shit has kept them alive.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I bought $1000 worth of ON at $38 based ONLY on you and ZERO DD. That’s how I roll, and it’s why I’ll be broke in 2022.

Just incase you doubt me :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:. Other analyst says its a good stock. Its a longer term stock but its low vol

ON Semiconductor Corp ON 4.97% faces improving restructuring and autos tailwinds, according to BofA Securities.

The ON Semiconductor Analyst: Vivek Arya upgraded ON Semiconductor from Underperform to Buy, while raising the price target from $32 to $48.

The ON Semiconductor Thesis: The company’s new CEO and CFO could leverage their past turnaround experience to exit unprofitable areas, drive “a more asset-lite model” and achieve margin expansion, Arya said in the upgrade note.

“We are late to recognizing ON’s turnaround potential, but we still see potential for another 20%+ stock upside as management makes the case for turnaround at their upcoming Aug. 5 analyst day,” he added.

The analyst further mentioned that although it could take three to four quarters for ON Semiconductor’s restructuring efforts to “bear fruit,” there is potential for the company.

https://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ra...hy-bofa-is-double-upgrading-on-semiconductor?

27ij9BO.jpg

GHG

Stocks are just going to keep on rising until around Q3. Just keep watching yields and inflation.

I hope that is the case but didn't want to take any chances so took the opportunity to trim the hedge while the sun shined today.

Either way I'm now comfortable with my portfolio overall and I'm happy to ride it as it is through good times and bad. Plus I now have the benefit of extra money to go shopping with when opportunities arise.

I hope that is the case but didn't want to take any chances so took the opportunity to trim the hedge while the sun shined today.

Either way I'm now comfortable with my portfolio overall and I'm happy to ride it as it is through good times and bad. Plus I now have the benefit of extra money to go shopping with when opportunities arise.
My plan is to get out of my riskier plays like my SPACs and either stay in cash or just into some blue chip stocks.

GHG

My plan is to get out of my riskier plays like my SPACs and either stay in cash or just into some blue chip stocks.

All of my current SPACs are confirmed mergers with companies that I want to hold long term, plus I haven't got much money in them overall at the moment. Stuff like Blacksky and Rocket Lab I want long term anyway so I don't give a shit about what happens to the price of those shares over the next couple of years. My exceptions for those companies in the short/medium term is pretty much on the floor - just stay in business.

The primary thing I did today was really trim my position in ARKK, so I now only have a small position in it. I'm going to be cautious, hold on to that money for the next couple of weeks to see how the markets develop and then decide where I'll be reinvesting it. Definitely thinking I need some oil exposure ASAP.

All of my current SPACs are confirmed mergers with companies that I want to hold long term, plus I haven't got much money in them overall at the moment. Stuff like Blacksky and Rocket Lab I want long term anyway so I don't give a shit about what happens to the price of those shares over the next couple of years. My exceptions for those companies in the short/medium term is pretty much on the floor - just stay in business.

The primary thing I did today was really trim my position in ARKK, so I now only have a small position in it. I'm going to be cautious, hold on to that money for the next couple of weeks to see how the markets develop and then decide where I'll be reinvesting it. Definitely thinking I need some oil exposure ASAP.
I have TDAC and a shit ton of their warrants. DA was signed but no merger date yet. Hopefully announced soon. They are shit last week when CCIV and the market tanked.

My other two are GSAH and PSTH but that’s Goldman Sachs and Bill Ackman so I think those will be pretty stable.

ManofOne

Plus Member

Great strategy. It always helps to take a little precaution. Especially now.

ManofOne

Plus Member

SPACs are just getting way to risky for my comfort. So much exuberance is built into it, unless you're a really earlier mover, the benefit is mostly loss to those who are late.

SPACs are just getting way to risky for my comfort. So much exuberance is built into it, unless you're a really earlier mover, the benefit is mostly loss to those who are late.
There’s good money playing from $10-20 and the warrants.

Speaking of earlier mover, someone tweeted at Ackman and said people who own PSTH should be able to pre-purchase his next SPAC at a lower price. He replied “Done”, and then a few hours later they released an SEC statement that his Twitter account is representative of Pershing Square Holdings, lol. So there’s that.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
There’s good money playing from $10-20 and the warrants.

Speaking of earlier mover, someone tweeted at Ackman and said people who own PSTH should be able to pre-purchase his next SPAC at a lower price. He replied “Done”, and then a few hours later they released an SEC statement that his Twitter account is representative of Pershing Square Holdings, lol. So there’s that.

Lol I never trusted Ackman. His feud with Icahn almost destroyed him and his Herbalife bet will always follow him plus he over exaggerated corona to his benefit.

ManofOne

Plus Member

NIO posts mixed Q4 results, with Q1 deliveries seen at about 20K vehicles​

• NIO Q4 Non-GAAP EPS of -$0.14 beats by $0.24; GAAP EPS of -$0.16 misses by $0.10.
  • Revenue of $1.02B (+149.3% Y/Y) misses by $20M.
  • Vehicle margin in the fourth quarter of 2020 was 17.2%, compared with negative 6.0% in the fourth quarter of 2019 and 14.5% in the third quarter of 2020.
  • Quarterly Deliveries of the ES8, the ES6 and the EC6 were 17,353 vehicles.
  • 1Q21 Outlook: Deliveries of the vehicles to be between 20,000 and 20,500 vehicles, representing an increase of 15%-18% from the previous quarter; Total revenues to be between RMB7,382. 3M (US$1.13B) and RMB7,557.2 M(US$1.16B).
  • Shares -1.9%.

Delf

Banned
Snap. Have some for a long, long term hold. Rocket Lab look like a solid company right now and seem to be well positioned for the future so I'm 100% comfortable holding at my current average of 14.

Was also looking at NIO since earnings are coming in a few hours but I think I missed a good price on that last week for a quick in and out and of course... It's a fucking meme stock so I simply can't be asked holding it.

I still have a small pot to play with so it was a great for me to get into early today.

Hoping SOS, VACQ, and BNGO rocket off so I can skim some profits off and break even.

I lost a little money pulling everything out last week but I got a tons of deals this morning pre-market. Was insane.

I joined this Youtubers Discord for like 5 bucks a month. He does the DD and post up his picks for the week on Sunday and his picks before be makes his vids at night.
I dont get into them all (hes had some stinkers) but had some great finds.
This also allowed me to meet people in the Discords who then invited me to other Discords.

I'm in like 4 Discords now and people are just throwing out DD and calls all day and night.

Thats how I got closed in on the GIK news about Amazon. Guy this morning just posted up the tweet like 'GO GO GO GIK AND AMAZON!!" lol

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Becareful about earning play. AMD and AAPL smashed earnings and they dropped more than 10% recently. But what do I really know haha

The only real solid advice nowadays is to hold through thick and thin on companies with solid confidence

Last edited:

GHG

Becareful about earning play. AMD and AAPL smashed earnings and they dropped more than 10% recently. But what do I really know haha

The only real solid advice nowadays is to hold through thick and thin on companies with solid confidence

My play for earnings for good companies I don't give a shit about enough to hold long term:

Buy 2 weeks before earnings, enjoy the run up in price as it gathers more attention.

Sell at market close just before the earnings get released to remove risk and take profit.

200.gif

Works more times than it doesn't for me but you need to do some long term price analysis to make sure it's not at a high point when buying in a couple of weeks before. Also only do it with companies that have strong fundamentals in case you time it wrong so that you can just hold until it comes back up.

Rickyiez

^ Yes agreed that is a legit play . So far stocks trend upward towards the earning day . It's just so unfortunate that prior to Nio earning day was hampered by general market dip , else we should see similar trend

Last edited:

Honey Bunny

Zoom just reversed last week's losses after insane earnings. I know it's viewed as a pandemic stock but I'm in it for the long haul.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
jzLwTZ0.jpg

I don't understand why some economist continue to dismiss inflation. Above is what I sort of expect (blackline) vs the consensus (redline) for some other economist. Lets see who is right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom