• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Straight Outta Compton Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apt101

I knew Suge was a goon but I didn't know he had pitbulls up in the studio. That man is evil incarnate. He destroyed Pac and he would've destroyed Dre and Snoop had they stuck around.

Dre is too cunning for Suge. Suge sounds like a straight up gangster who couldn't have gotten shit done without bullying people smarter than he is or taking advantage of hungry artists.

Viewt

Had a great time watching this last night, though there were a few minutes that I didn't really pay attention to. Some guy kept rapping along with the movie, dancing in the aisles and lighting up Black N Milds in the theater. So security showed up and there was a little bit of yelling back and forth before he finally got up and left. And then someone yelled, "Fuck the police!"

I knew Suge was a goon but I didn't know he had pitbulls up in the studio. That man is evil incarnate. He destroyed Pac and he would've destroyed Dre and Snoop had they stuck around.

When Pac died almost everyone who was with Suge finally realized that he was dangerous to be with. Snoop practically had to change his ways from being a hardcore gangsta crip to being a little family friendly just so he can avoid all the drama. This movie's portrayal is pretty accurate to many documentaries that describe Suge's mafia tactics and lifestyle.

The dude who played Eazy acted his ass off and it's crazy how much Ice Cube's son looks exactly like him. This easily could've been some shitty BET/VH1 original and I'm really glad it wasn't.

Speaking of which, it was pretty funny to see a trailer for Ride Along 2 before seeing an hour of Ice Cube being abused by the police.

You right about that. Eazy-E's actor acted his ass off and I was thinking the same thing about Ride Along 2.

mackaveli

How was Tupac dropping a Hail Mary verse?

They couldn't use another verse or something that actually made sense with the timeline?

Great movie though. 5/5.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Great flick. It didn't mythologize them too much and stayed grounded.

Also, that Pac impersonator was scarily on point.

We sure they didn't just thaw him out?

JeTmAn81

Had a great time watching this last night, though there were a few minutes that I didn't really pay attention to. Some guy kept rapping along with the movie, dancing in the aisles and lighting up Black N Milds in the theater. So security showed up and there was a little bit of yelling back and forth before he finally got up and left. And then someone yelled, "Fuck the police!"

These are the kinds of shenanigans I expect at a screening of the NWA movie. I'm sorry I won't be able to see it this weekend.

Dinokill

I just saw the movie in heavily conservative republican town

Yet about 70% of the audience was white.

I've got 5 words for this movie

DAMNNNN THAT SHIT WAS DOPE!

bomma_man

Which would be disappointing after Disney allowed Saving Mr. Banks to have Tom Hanks give a monologue about how Walt Disney's father beat him daily.

That doesn't reflect badly on Walt Disney though. It's not the same as dre beating on woman. If Walt was the one doin the beating they might be comparable.

Can't wait to go see this in a couple of days. I think one of my main draws will be to hear some of the music I grew up with in a huge theater with amazing sound. And I don't know much about the people behind the music so this will mostly be new to me. Glad to hear impressions have been positive.

bgbball31

DOUBLE TOASTED review

Benedict Cumberblack

Wait, the Spill guys are still doing reviews? WHY AM I JUST FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS?!

Anyways, just got back from it will probably end up in my top 10 this year. I felt like the script flowed really well and was one of the strongest parts of the film, but the thing that really surprised me was the acting. I thought everyone absolutely nailed their role. It was amazing from a collective and individual standpoint.

jesu

Think I'll be able to go see this next Saturday.
My cinema isn't showing it much, but the weekend looks good.

jmood88

Great flick. It didn't mythologize them too much and stayed grounded.

Also, that Pac impersonator was scarily on point.

We sure they didn't just thaw him out?
Man, that dude was crazy. With the way they had him in the shadow, I was half thinking that they just used cgi for that part.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You right about that. Eazy-E's actor acted his ass off and I was thinking the same thing about Ride Along 2.

Was surprised how strong he came off at the end.

Between the last meeting with Jerry, uniting with Cube, and finding out he had AIDs. He acted his ass off.

Its a shame they didn't keep it as an Easy-E biopic, but still great.

Was surprised how strong he came off at the end.

Between the last meeting with Jerry, uniting with Cube, and finding out he had AIDs. He acted his ass off.

Its a shame they didn't keep it as an Easy-E biopic, but still great.
I didn't know beforehand that he dies of AIDS so I was figuring like cancer or something similar due to all the couching going on. Speaking of which, I wish they hadn't telegraphed that as much. It was a little bit too obvious IMO.

Great movie overall though. I will say that.

jmizzal

Something I was confused about (movie spoilers):

Considering how long the film was, I was shocked that they barely went into the Eazy E vs. Dr. Dre beef. No Fuck wit Dre Day. No Real Muthaphukkin G's. They even foreshadowed the beef when Eazy was giving Dre shit about his outfit at the nightclub near the beginning of the film, so I wonder if it was originally going to be a part of the film, but they ran out of time?

Also, they managed to find a 2Pac clone for this film. Jesus did that guy look like Pac or what. The guy they got to play Snoop also sounded exactly like him, it was amazing. But ultimately, his role in the film was... to record his part in Deep Cover. and Ain't Nothin but a G Thang. No Fuck wit Dre Day! I thought that was going to be the first thing he did with Dre lol... The Chronic just drops unceremoniously and there's billboards everywhere.

Yea thats the only thing I wish they showed they wasnt shown, but it was a great movie I hope its more deleted scenes in the bluray will buy that day one too

jmood88

I didn't know beforehand that he dies of AIDS so I was figuring like cancer or something similar due to all the couching going on. Speaking of which, I wish they hadn't telegraphed that as much. It was a little bit too obvious IMO.

I don't know what you expected them to do. You don't just get HIV, then die without showing any symptoms.

RP912

Banned
simpsonitchandscratchy_11.jpg

How I feel right now in this thread :(

jmizzal

There was a report in my local news about them increasing security on specifically this movie.
It's not based on the recent theater shootings I don't think.

Why increase security for shootings when you can do it when all those black folks are coming out to have a good time

That was a fantastic biopic, it was well-shot and the movie held on to a steady pace until about the last 30 minutes or so. Some parts at the end felt rush and disjointed, not sure if some of the timeline is off with
Tupac recording Hail Mary in 93, Dre still in Deathrow, etc)
. Highly enjoyed it despite the weak third act.

Pac recorded a lot of music, I wouldnt be surprised if he did record Hail Mary earlier but didnt use it until makaveli and not on his first Death row album

dream

I've always felt uneasy about rappers complaining about Suge. It's like, you're a gangsta rapper and the dude who owns your label is a legitimate gangsta. What were you expecting?

Trey

lol

Eazy E dying of AIDs wasn't a secret or something. It's an integral part of his legacy. Of course they're gonna show him getting sicker toward the end.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would love a Biggie X 2 Pac movie directed in the way this movie was, but Puff would never let it happen most likely

Start from each other their starts and have it lead up to the climax

maybe when all parties are dead.

Just saw this today, it was a pretty great movie. I do agree they could have went into more detail and some stuff was glossed over, but the runtime of the movie is already quite long, it's likely they realized this and decided against it. It's still an enjoyable viewing experience in spite of that.

No no, I get it. I guess it's a general movie trope that bothers me.

Nah fuck that I can tell you what I expected. Like in ol' review boy posted I think they could've been more smooth with that shit, you know subtle. Show it through tenseness in the muscles of the throat, coughing without it seeming as a prod like lay it out in small doses without in the middle of a convo. You know be creep on that shit ya feel me?

Eos

Yeah i was surprised by the
lack of dre/eazy beef. They'll probably include it in the directors cut (if they do one)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom