• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 2 music: SNES SF2/SF2t vs Genesis Special Champion Edition

doncale

Banned
not wanting to get too deeply into the technical aspects of the sound hw in Genesis vs that of the SNES....I just wanted your opinions on what *sounds* better to your ears: the music in Street Fighter 2 World Warrior and Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, or the music in Special Champion Edition on the Genesis.

me? I much perfer the music in SCE on Genesis. it just sounds better to me. its much more 'listenable' IMO :)

BeOnEdge

Banned
genesis music was closer to the arcade. snes music seemed over arranged because of the instrument set. the voices on the genesis sucked ass though. HALO 2 demo on the 24th!!!

TheDiave

Banned
I don't remember the Genny version that well... I only rented it once (played it on my sister's Genesis). The SNES games were the ones I actually owned.

XS+

Banned
Genesis music sounded more like the arcade original, and the music in the SNES ports sounded like inaccurate synthesized ringtones. Sound effects were crap on the games for both systems, and while the Genesis version has an excuse for inferior sound effects and white-noise voices, SNES version really has no excuse for 'remixed' voices and sound. Capcom just didn't do all that great a job with the audio in the SF2 16-bit console ports.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
where the hell do you think i'm getting the music from then? hmm?

and yes, turbo did come out on genesis.

Those mp3s were made from the GYM rips found on zophar.net, correct? The "SF2 CE" rips are faulty - they're lacking the PCM samples (and have timing issues). The other rips are misnamed: the Japanese version is called Street Fighter II' Plus. Those rips are faulty, too. You can't expect a fair comparison with either set. :p

DopeyFish

jiji said:
Those mp3s were made from the GYM rips found on zophar.net, correct? The "SF2 CE" rips are faulty - they're lacking the PCM samples. The other rips are misnamed: the Japanese version is called Street Fighter II' Plus. Those rips are faulty, too. You can't expect a fair comparison with either set. :p

jijiowned, though i remember playing SF2:CE on Genesis. (i remember because i had to press start to switch from punches/kicks.).. and i remember the music being crappy :/

MoxManiac

When? I remember Championship Edition and Super Street Fighter 2 for the Genesis.

Confusing as it is, CE on genesis was turbo. Well, it had speed select. I'm pretty sure it had the SF2T gameplay changes too.

Neo_ZX

AFAIK SNES had SFII:TWW and SFII:Turbo

Genesis only had SFII: Special Championship Edition which was basically renamed Turbo since Nintendo got exclusive rights to the Turbo name.

Never seen the box cover for a Genesis turbo but SFII:SCE was Guile getting scissor kicked while pulling off a sonic boom.

Edit: Oh almost forgot the most important part, the SNES music was FAR superior! From a technical standpoint the sound chip on the SNES was better, but more importanly it sounds FAR, FAR better. I don't know how anyone can say it doesn't. (in this specific case, tho not barring others)

13388130061a_box.jpg
street%20fighter%202'%20CE%20-%20USA.jpg

XS+

Banned
Both versions of SF2 CE were the same (selectable CE and Turbo gameplay settings), they were just named and arranged differently (maybe Nintendo wanted the upper hand over Sega with the title of the newest version of SF2 on the cover, I dunno)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SNES sound >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis sound

Actually, to be fair, SNES SF2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis SF2

jett

D-Member
Personally, I like the uh "arrangements" on the SNES ports better than the clinky sound from the Genesis port(doesn't really sound like the Arcade version, anyway).

BeOnEdge

Banned
dopey the music you posted for the genny version is broken. its missing the entire drum track!!!! wtf??? it doesnt sound like that.

gimme a couple minutes and i'll whip up a few ACCURATE tracks.

XS+

Banned
Mejilan said:
SNES sound >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis sound

Actually, to be fair, SNES SF2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Genesis SF2
Why all the arrows? It's the same damn game. It's not the deal with all the Mortal Kombats or other fighting game ports, you're basically playing the same game on Genesis as you are on SNES (minus cosmetic differences and the Barrel stage on Genesis). SNES SF2 is only better because the color scheme resembles the arcade the most, and that's the only advantage I'd give it.

The real deal is CPS SF2 [> x 1000] 16-bit console SF2

BeOnEdge

Banned
DopeyFish said:
true comparison? they're all missing the right channels lol! :D

whatever!!!! all the sound data is there. lol. maybe the cable wasnt all the way in. anyway, its clear the genny version is DEFINATELY closer.

FightyF

Banned
I agree doncale, while the SNES had far superior sounds, the Genesis SF2 games had a more faithful representation of the original arcade music.

That said, the voice samples on the Genesis sound disgusting. :)

The only reason why I played it was because of the 6 button controller. My SF proficiency went way up after renting the Genny version just to see how bad it would be.

Mejilan

SNES wins thanks to better sounds, voices, music, graphics, and controller. The only thing the Genesis version had that was better was the series of sound effects it made when you paused.

BeOnEdge

Banned
Mejilan said:
SNES wins thanks to better sounds, voices, music, graphics, and controller. The only thing the Genesis version had that was better was the series of sound effects it made when you paused.

NOOOOOOO!!!!! :) i didnt just grab those samples for nothing!!! open ur ears man!!!

DopeyFish

the snes version stands on top of the genny version and widdles from a great height.

especially music :D hehehehe

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, those samples basically show what I mean. Technically it sounds better, the crashes are more crisp. But it's not as hard-hitting as the arcade.

This could be an audiophile only POV, most people probably can't even hear the differences between the arcade and SNES versions.

XS+

Banned
Mejilan said:
Sprites were the exact same except for aforementioned color scheme, and small resolution differences
Sound was horrible on SNES if were a fan of the arcade game
Controller wasn't acceptable on either platform if you were a fan of the arcade game
At least Genesis version tried to reproduce the arcade experience (same intro, more accurate sound, barrel bonus game, similar text font as arcade), SNES didn't seem to try as hard.

I'm sorry, I just love this ageold argument.

BeOnEdge

Banned
DopeyFish said:
the snes version stands on top of the genny version and widdles from a great height.

especially music :D hehehehe

LOLOLOL. with all this talk i will say one thing that we all may be in agreement with, BOTH versions of SUPER had HOOOOOOOOOOORRENDOUS music.

Mejilan

Colors sure as shit looked better on my TV when running on my SNES than on my Genny.
The Genny tunes perhaps were "truer" from a composition standpoint, but the sound quality of the SNES game smeared it mercilessly. Don't even get me started on sound effects or music.
Stock SNES controller > stock Genny controller (though I used the Capcom Power Stick when playing this game, as should you all.)

I'll give the Genny version props on one thing, however. It had better splash marks than the SNES version. But, if you want to get trivial the SNES game had a better name. SCE? Ugh! ;p

That said, I own all 4 of the 16 bit versions. Why? I don't know.

Mejilan

ourumov said:
I guess you don't have the special CAPCOM pads/Arcade Sticks, CAPCOM released for it on SNES.

Wasn't the Capcom Power Stick also later released for the Genny?

BeOnEdge

Banned
Mejilan said:
That said, I own all 4 of the 16 bit versions. Why? I don't know.

i seriously have like 10 versions of street fighter 2. hahahahahaha. NONE perfect. not even the DC or PS2 versions. emulation is my saviour.

"Wasn't the Capcom Power Stick also later released for the Genny?"

ascii released a stick. i had that one.

ourumov

Wasn't the Capcom Power Stick also later released for the Genny?
I just own the SNES one of SF2T and the one made by ASCII for SFZ2...
The first one can even be connected to NES with an adaptor...

I wish I could use it on PS2/DC...

BeOnEdge

Banned
no it didnt. those arranges were shit. pc and 3d0. the arcade super tunes=GODLY. so were saturns arranges alpha 1 and 2 tracks. capcom was GOLD back then.

XS+

Banned
But, if you want to get trivial
Hahaha, and that's the point I'm trying to make! The differences between the SF2 games on both systems were trivial. While the Genesis has some advantages, there's nothing about Genesis version that would make me want that version over the SNES game, and vice-versa. I did go back to playing the CPS game over the console versions though. Now Mortal Kombat II was a HUGE difference if you like that game and wanted to play at home, some Neo fighters were better on SNES, but SF2 had about the same green grass. That's all I'm sayin.
ourumov said:
I guess you don't have the special CAPCOM pads/Arcade Sticks, CAPCOM released for it on SNES.
The stock controllers sucked is what I mean. And Sega released ace six-button pads just for SF2, many seem to forget.

Wanna know what makes for another fun SNES-owning sound comparison? Thunderforce AC (arcade) vs Thunderforce III (Genesis, includes some AC levels as well as all-new ones) vs Thunder Spirits (SNES, port of AC). The Genesis reproduces the arcade tunes about 95% EXACTLY, while the SNES.. doesn't. Why is that? How come Genesis did better for certain arcade ports than SNES?

BeOnEdge

Banned
the gennys sound chip is closer to the arcade chips of that time. konami games are another one. lets start another argument with NINJA TURTLES!!!! UH OH!!!! arcade vs hyperstone heist vs turtles in time. OOOOOOOOOOH!!

XS+

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
lets start another argument with NINJA TURTLES!!!! UH OH!!!! arcade vs hyperstone heist vs turtles in time. OOOOOOOOOOH!!
Ehhh Turtles games on SNES owned the Genny versions almost completely.

Mejilan

XS+ said:
Ehhh Turtles in Time SNES owned the Genny version almost completely.

Nothing but the truth here.

(Gimped sounds and voices, once again, prove NOT to be trivial differences! ;p )

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
genesis version is more faithful to the arcade. and sounds considerably better. the snes soundchip is unbelievably overrated -- yes, it has loads of hi-tech pcm samples, but nearly all of them are cheesy trumpets.

that said, i only owned the snes versions, and snes super sf2's music sounded much better than earlier efforts.

XS+

Banned
Yeah Genesis vs SNES technical arguments don't tend to last very long :|

Gimped sounds and voices, once again, prove NOT to be trivial differences! ;p
The sounds and voices were fine, it's just that the game itself sucked compared to TiT. Konami's fault, not Genny's necessarily.

XS+ said:
Wanna know what makes for another fun SNES-owning sound comparison? Thunderforce AC (arcade) vs Thunderforce III (Genesis, includes some AC levels as well as all-new ones) vs Thunder Spirits (SNES, port of AC). The Genesis reproduces the arcade tunes about 95% EXACTLY, while the SNES.. doesn't. Why is that? How come Genesis did better for certain arcade ports than SNES?
I'm not sure whether TF3 was released before TFAC or if it was the other way around (both were released in 1990), but both ran on Genesis hardware. Thunder Spirits, which came two years later, was just a crappy port. Given how well TF3 and TF4 used the Genesis's hardware, I would never expect a SNES port of either to turn out terribly well.

Top Bottom