• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 2 music: SNES SF2/SF2t vs Genesis Special Champion Edition

Anyanka

MK II Genesis' gameplay is really messed up, even if it is more responsive. The hit detection is all screwed up for juggles. Even simple stuff like jump kick, shadow kick is harder than it should be. You also can't do a crouching jab which ruins some cornor juggles.

What's so bad about Genesis WH1? I always wanted to play it. I like it for SNES

SantaC

Shompola said:
YOu guys are delusional who thinks snes version of SF2 controlled better than Mega Drive version. In what way was the snes version controlling better? The Mega Drive version responded much better.

And comparing snes sample playback sound chip to Mega drives FM synthesizer soundchip is unfair, they aren't the same type of hardware and aren't ment to be either.
Also dopey, never ever again compare a butchered emulated version of the Mega Drive FM synthesizer to emulated version of snes sample playback chip. There isn't a single emulator that eumlates the FM synthesizer even close to the real hardware. The gritty and dark sound of the real hardware has yet to be emulated correctly.

wait a minute. Didn't you need to press start in order to switch between kicks and punches on the regular mega drive controller? lol how is that better than the snes controller?

Shompola

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
wait a minute. Didn't you need to press start in order to switch between kicks and punches on the regular mega drive controller? lol how is that better than the snes controller?

I don't know. Insert 6 button pad and voila?

Those music samples dont reflect what i heard from the consoles back then, there was really no comparison, the Snes versions were all better, more color obviously and the sound was the biggest leap the snes had regarding the genesis, i clearly remember the noisy sound of the genesis in almost any game so i dont even know why were even talking about this....unless of course the genesis had a better sound chip then Megadrive......

BeOnEdge

Banned
you thought it was different back then. the genny is closer to te arcade. face it. its the SOUND EFFECTS that sucked in the genny version. not the music.

Look, the small time i spend in the arcade i could barely hear the damn sound, closer or not the Snes version had better sound, whether it was closer to the arcade or not.

doncale

Banned
you thought it was different back then. the genny is closer to te arcade. face it. its the SOUND EFFECTS that sucked in the genny version. not the music.

agreed.

the Genesis/MD Street Fighter 2 music sounds closer to the arcade than the SNES SF2 music, but the Genesis sound effects/voices are much, much worse, so SNES sound effects & voices end up closer to the arcade by default. but music-wise, Genesis kicks ass.

btw it seems that most people including me like Ryu, Ken and Guile music the most. SF2 had totally rad music :)

dorikyasu

doncale said:
btw it seems that most people including me like Ryu, Ken and Guile music the most. SF2 had totally rad music :)
Those 3 BGMs are my favorites as well. I never get tired of listening to them even after all these years.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
i dont think they were ported by sega. i'm actually pretty sure they werent. i just booted sam sho genny and it was reprogrammed by "saurus" and pubbed by takara.
Saurus was a SNK subsidiary who later got reabsorbed (like Nazac). They made Shock Troopers 1-2, not sure what else?

jett

D-Member
Ryu, Ken and Guile have the best themes. Cammy's and Vega's are not that far behind, either. Too bad the music in SF3 isn't as memorable.

BeOnEdge

Banned
super remixes or original? super+1 i'd purposely stall beating guile so by the time i did beat him the music would be at the interlude with nothing but horns and and that one background guitar with no other sound effects whatsoever. that shit was HOT.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jett said:
Ryu, Ken and Guile have the best themes. Cammy's and Vega's are not that far behind, either. Too bad the music in SF3 isn't as memorable.

I think the majority of the SF3: New Generation music is pretty memorable, but it starts to go somewhat downhill in 2i and 3s. But IMO all the SF3 games still have good tunes, and I love how the home versions of 3s have three versions of each song...

the genny is closer to te arcade.

So what? You think being closer to the arcade is more important than how good it sounds?

And the music was MUCH improved for Super. Zangief's music in SNES super was freaking sweet. You need to download ZSNES and listen to it.

Oh, and I just listened to Turbo's music (I've hardly heard it at all) and it about made me gag. What were they thinking with those remixes?

It was not a remix. Just different technology. Like they "remixed" the graphics by removing all the color and detail from the Genesis version.

Neutron Night said:
It was not a remix. Just different technology. Like they "remixed" the graphics by removing all the color and detail from the Genesis version.
The songs are rearranged a bit in addition to having changed hardware. They're in different keys, some melodies are different, and some instruments have been swapped out - often for the worse. Ken's theme is a great example of how not to use a guitar sample. Oh, and Zangief's theme? Those are some of the worst drum samples I've heard in SNES music. x_x

Millionth edit: Some of the arrangements do sound rather good, like Ryu's, but the quality is inconsistent. Both soundtracks have parts that sound bad to my ears: sluggish, weedy samples and poorly utilized instruments in the SNES version, and low-sample-rate PCM in the Genesis version. Earlier-model Genesis audio hardware didn't help in the latter category either. I think I like the SCE sountrack more overall, though.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Here's one for you guys. I recently purchased SF Collection I and SF Collection 2 for the PS2. Now, as I understand it, these discs feature both the arcade original tunes, and special arranged versions, not to mention desperation music added in later ports from the arcade game.

I've extracted the song files from the discs into WAV format, and converted them into VBR Lame mp3s. One collection netted me 80 songs, the other 71. So, it's a LOT of music. I'm having a hard time categorizing all of them. I can name the character themes just fine, problem is, I don't know which are th earcade tunes, and which are the arranged ones! Any ideas?

Oh, if this somehow violates the TOS, please delete/ignore. I'm not too sure on what the stance is on this issue. Technically, I did purchase the games, and it's not like I'm offering to sell or distribute them. Just asking some of our SF experts to help a fan out... (Cellapu?)

I wish Yuzo Koshiro would've been part of the Capcom conversion team...I'd love to hear his Genny versions of the SFII sound and music. *drool*

doncale

Banned
no matter what anyone says, the best versions of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo music is the 3DO versions. which was also included in Capcom Generation 5 on PS1 and Saturn and the U.S. PS1 Street Fighter Collection 2 which each have the original three SF2 games, not SSF2T. but you only get these 3DO SSF2T remixes to unlock by beating each of the three SF2 games on PS1 and Saturn. hope i wrote that out alright :)

Mejilan

I just finished naming the SFC1 songs. 65 in total, no remixes. 17 character themes, 17 "Desperation" variants to the character themes, and the rest are ending themes and menu/event themes.

I'm starting on the SFC2 songs now. So, what you're saying is that the standard, default songs in SFC2 are the arcade themes, and the unlockables are essentially the 3DO remixes? If so, that should be helpful, as I already have a rip of the 3D0 game, so by crosschecking the tunes I should have no problem sorting them out. Is this right?

doncale

Banned
So, what you're saying is that the standard, default songs in SFC2 are the arcade themes, and the unlockables are essentially the 3DO remixes?

yeah, I am nearly 100% certain that's the case. your plan should work out nicely, hopefully :)

Mejilan

You're right, that is the case, and the plan is working out. Awesome. Also, as it turns out, my memory of these songs, especially the ending themes, isn't nearly as bad as I thought. Thank you thank you!

Mejilan

doncale-apu: What is the music in SFC1 then? They're not the same as what we call the arcade tracks that are in SFC2, they sound only slightly less dated than those, and certainly not as modern as the 3D0 remixes...

Shompola

Banned
doncale said:
no matter what anyone says, the best versions of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo music is the 3DO versions. which was also included in Capcom Generation 5 on PS1 and Saturn and the U.S. PS1 Street Fighter Collection 2 which each have the original three SF2 games, not SSF2T. but you only get these 3DO SSF2T remixes to unlock by beating each of the three SF2 games on PS1 and Saturn. hope i wrote that out alright :)

You played PC CD version? Definitely better music than Anniversary version. I have never tried 3DO version so I can't compare them.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Lyte Edge said:
I think the majority of the SF3: New Generation music is pretty memorable, but it starts to go somewhat downhill in 2i and 3s. But IMO all the SF3 games still have good tunes, and I love how the home versions of 3s have three versions of each song...
I know its not for everyone, but I freaking love SF3 3S's music. NG was better, but 3S imo is still great. Kobu, Spunky, You Blow My Mind, Twiglight and Killing Moon make me feel warm inside just thinking about them.

Edit: Is it just me, but is Ryu damn near invincible in the highest setting in the third Round?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Shompola said:
You played PC CD version? Definitely better music than Anniversary version. I have never tried 3DO version so I can't compare them.

If you heard the arranged tracks on the SF Collection 2 SF2 games, you heard the BGMs from the 3D0 version, save for the "new challengers."

PC version of SSF2T is KING of SF2 BGMs. **FACT**. ;)

I missed getting the CD from Sho Nuff...can someone upload the music?

OMG guys this whole thread is like my wholes 90s preteen/teenyears game arguments relived

KEEP IT UP!

vmhug8.jpg

MrSingh

Genesis might have had a couple of totally insane games like Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy etc. but any programmer who has worked on both Genesis/SNES will tell you that SNES is ahead hardware wise. That isn't surprising at all since the SNES hardware came out much later.

And SNES sound hardware is better, coz it was designed by Ken Kutaragi!!!

MrSingh

Lyte Edge said:
If you heard the arranged tracks on the SF Collection 2 SF2 games, you heard the BGMs from the 3D0 version, save for the "new challengers."

PC version of SSF2T is KING of SF2 BGMs. **FACT**. ;)

I missed getting the CD from Sho Nuff...can someone upload the music?

Ohhh.. Lyte Edge is correct. The PC version of SSF2T had the absolute best soundtrack of any SF2 version (although it's direct CD audio). I have it somewhere back home...

XS+

Banned
MrSingh said:
Genesis might have had a couple of totally insane games like Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy etc. but any programmer who has worked on both Genesis/SNES will tell you that SNES is ahead hardware wise. That isn't surprising at all since the SNES hardware came out much later.
It's just remarkable that certain Genesis games managed to stand toe-to-toe with SNES games in ways it wasn't supposed to (scaling and related effects).

XS+ said:
It's just remarkable that certain Genesis games managed to stand toe-to-toe with SNES games in ways it wasn't supposed to (scaling and related effects).

Damn straight. Hence why I enjoyed Genesis games a lot more, at least their triple A titles more so than the Super NES triple A's; they simply had to work harder to compete. Some made fun of the fact that on later Genesis games, programmers had to combine colors to create the "illusion" of there being more than just 64 on screen. I personally call that savy programming.

LakeEarth

I think part of the people who like one version's music over the other is because we've heard that version so many times. I don't know about you, but I've been playing the SNES version for over a decade now, so it's understandable that I'm into that version's music... since that's the version I've grown accustomed to.

FortNinety said:
Damn straight. Hence why I enjoyed Genesis games a lot more, at least their triple A titles more so than the Super NES triple A's; they simply had to work harder to compete. Some made fun of the fact that on later Genesis games, programmers had to combine colors to create the "illusion" of there being more than just 64 on screen. I personally call that savy programming.

But didn't Snes programmers use transparency to create the illusion of more colors/shades being on screen? All fair's in love and war. Would've loved to see large budget, 7th generation Genesis games the 128/256 colors on screen, with Gunstar Heroes like programmed effects, and a fully reprogrammed music engines (Genesis needed sound programming to sound its best, another reason why most Genny games sounded different from each other, while snes music tended to use the same samples that I assume were in the dev kit).

MrSingh said:
Genesis might have had a couple of totally insane games like Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hard Corps, Dynamite Headdy etc. but any programmer who has worked on both Genesis/SNES will tell you that SNES is ahead hardware wise.
Ahead in number of onscreen colors and with Mode 7 effects, but not as far as speed or resolution. Each has its own strengths over the other.

Mejilan

I've pretty much heard every major game version of SF2 music, and there's no contest. PC CD Audio of SSF2T > *

Mejilan

As I said back on page 1 weeks ago (I think) I have nowhere to upload songs too. If you have broadband, hit me up on AIM and I'll transfer some songs to you if you wish.

Top Bottom