• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody wants Q, obviously.
If this is actually the main reason then sales should increase after it gets that stuff. If not then there's something else at play here. BlazeBlue has a bunch of single player content as well but that doesn't do half of even SF5 current numbers. Somehow I think that even if SF had everything up until the june update I can't see it getting past 1million sales within 2 months or so.

Enough about sales though,so long as this thrives on the scene it can bomb for all I care. They'll still support it for at least 2 years and that's all I need to get something out of this game without them updating it past that.

Depends on which market you're talking about. Last major BlazBlue release got 72k during its opening week in Japan. SF5 got 47k.

I agree SF5 would have had sales troubles regardless of content levels, for a bunch of reasons, but it definitely did a lot worse than it should have.

And as others have probably pointed out, it's not clear what sort of long tail this game will actually have. Most console sales are super front loaded, and I'm not convinced the current pricing model will let it prosper much on PC. Hopefully Capcom really is planning on making this free-to-play before its too late.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I have a stupid question out of curiosity: I was watching the cross counter videos on youtube and I noticed that gootecks press the buttons with 2 fingers in order, it's not a single tap, it's more like tap-tap. I think Maximilian Dood does the same. Why is that? It's more efficient or something else? I usually single-tap the buttons on the arcade stick

Old Street Fighter habits. Before plinking in SF4, pianoing or drumming buttons was the best way for reversals and links to hit at the fastest timing. Due to the input buffer system of the past, pre SF 4 era SF games made double tapping a common practice. I'm not too sure how well it works in Sf5 , but it's seemed to always help me with my combo timing.

They don't follow the regular AAA model though; while I'm sure they would have preferred better initial sales, they are mainly after the money they will get from the season pass / additional characters / premium costumes / whatever they could also sell on the side. Decreasing the price will allow them to inject new players in this system, and if it fails, well, don't forget that Sony is in this ship as well and can make the game free for PSN+ users.

That's true I keep forgetting about the alternate revenue streams in most games now. If they have the game on sale on PSN or something when the story content hits it could do fairly well and bring new people in.

I played CSGO at release and people done nothing but moan about that at the time, it eventually turned into a monster but that first year it was frequently out of the steam top 10. Once this game loses the at release price tag and adds more stuff it could get new life, but they will need to be careful when they drop the price and push it on PSN as the releases in may/june are huge for casual gamers at the moment.

It doesn't deserve more though, it's currently barren and for most people is not worth paying the £50 asking price.

Developers know that their game will be reviewed upon release, this games devs can have no complaints at the harsh reviews because they released a game with OK online fighting and essentially 1 single player mode in survival which is complete garbage, 90% so easy you could do it with your eyes shut then a difficulty spike near the end.

For a new player the training mode does nothing that they want it to.

I have put 20 hours in so far and it's my first real fighting game and while I do like it, it only barely feels worth the £25 I paid, I have no desire to clear survival mode with more characters having only done normal with 1 so far.

Do you think that the currently missing features warrant a sub 5/10 score?

Japanese are not interested in PS4, and Blazblues were available on PS3 and portable.

I don't think that somehow negates my point that in some markets SF5 doesn't do more than double the numbers of BlazBlue as claimed.

And of course it's not a completely identical situation. Japanese fans are also able to go to arcades to get their BlazBlue fix.

Renekton

I don't think that somehow negates my point that in some markets SF5 doesn't do more than double the numbers of BlazBlue as claimed.

And of course it's not a completely identical situation. Japanese fans are also able to go to arcades to get their BlazBlue fix.
Oops ya I replied to your post in a vacuum.

Do you think that the currently missing features warrant a sub 5/10 score?

Personally no, I really enjoy the core of the game so would be giving it about 7/10 at the price point of £25.

It depends on the website giving it the score and what version of the /10 scale they actually use. If 5 is mediocre and not "trash" then it's probably fine.

The problem for me is that what is there is not worth the asking price in stores, the fact that the features are promised means nothing while they still aren't present.

That's true I keep forgetting about the alternate revenue streams in most games now. If they have the game on sale on PSN or something when the story content hits it could do fairly well and bring new people in.

I played CSGO at release and people done nothing but moan about that at the time, it eventually turned into a monster but that first year it was frequently out of the steam top 10. Once this game loses the at release price tag and adds more stuff it could get new life, but they will need to be careful when they drop the price and push it on PSN as the releases in may/june are huge for casual gamers at the moment.

What did CSGO cost at launch? Im sure SFV price tag combined with everyone hearing the rumours about lack of content combined with server problems during the betas is making people holding on to their money.

giphy.gif

I feel like it would've been beneficial for them to hold an open beta tbh. Once you play it you realise that the fundamental gameplay is damn good and I feel like it would've swayed at least a few people.

I had typed a longish thought out reply but the site has apparently eaten it three times (or if it didn't then I must apologise for triple posting). It might be the hotel internet at the bar here but basically I can't stand the current mentality that a game is either dogshit and should be tried for war crimes, or it's greater than sliced bread itself. SFV garnered, imo, many unfair reviews that will unjustly damage sales in the long run. I'm not a Capcom apologist by any means but this game is (again imo) not getting a fair shake of the stick.

man there is so many things in this game are just down right broken, I know I am not going over anything new here but I am just so pissed off with how broken everything is in this game.

I am sitting here trying to view a replay and all i get is a connecting screen.
I mean you guys talk about casuals not buying the game because the lack of single player content, but when you cant even view a simple replay because of their wack servers you tend to wonder how in the hell this game was allowed to come out in the state its in.

The stats in the fighter profile still don't work correctly nearly four weeks after release no capcom i don't use ryu and no I didn't last play your game in 1906, I understand some of you guys might not care about all that crap but it would be nice to have features (that where advertised) that have been in since the first beta test actually work correctly, my LP still hasn't properly updated for a week now meaning I haven't unlocked titles that I've earned for ranking up booo hooo i hear you cry but unlocking stuff is fun and if it wasn't there id just play casual.

The connection filters when looking for a match barely work and battle lounges are a toss up as to whether or not it'll work

its such a shame because the actual 1v1 fighting is so much fun

winning and losing against ken players always makes me wonder what just happend lol.
i kinda wanna play him just for that reason, just go nuts on everyone.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
damnnn okay guys i will wait for sf5 later in the year lol

My point was that for people in this thread, that's not even a choice. It's SFV, day one, every single time. So if you are not sure, I assume you are not a SF-head, so the fact that SFV has no real content aside from fighting online or local would not be worth it for you.

Number45

Does anyone have impressions of the official eGuide? Not sure if I should pay for the full guide or just the frame data app.

Does anyone have impressions of the official eGuide? Not sure if I should pay for the full guide or just the frame data app.

If you just want raw data then frame data apps are good.

Guides however, are great for helping in genuinely learning mechanics and characters.

I had typed a longish thought out reply but the site has apparently eaten it three times (or if it didn't then I must apologise for triple posting). It might be the hotel internet at the bar here but basically I can't stand the current mentality that a game is either dogshit and should be tried for war crimes, or it's greater than sliced bread itself. SFV garnered, imo, many unfair reviews that will unjustly damage sales in the long run. I'm not a Capcom apologist by any means but this game is (again imo) not getting a fair shake of the stick.

The problem is that if you love playing Street fighter online and have no interest in the offline stuff then your opinion would be different.

If I was super into online only and gave no fucks about offline stuff I would prob give it an 8/10 or so based on having fantastic combat mechanics but losing a few points for no store at start to create variety in character looks, colours locked behind a shitty survival mode, a badly designed mini story mode and some matchmaking issues I have.

As some one who has enjoyed the online for at least 30 or so hours of my 43 hours play time I would give it a 6 or 7 out of 10. The additional loss in points would be for massive lack of single player content and tutorials to help people understand the mechanics better. Also lack of online modes such as silly matches with mods etc.

If I didn't want to play online as I like to only play single player and then the odd occasion with friends then this would absolutely get a sub 5 out of 10 score because what's there for those people is totally unacceptable. Local vs has very limited modes to play and single player has almost nothing of any worth to them. Nothing there would teach the player enough to even get to the point where they can appreciate the good gameplay mechanics.

So I can totally see why it got bad reviews. It's all a matter of perspective and a reviewer who has to play many games, more than likely does not have the time it needs to get decent and stay competitive at a fighting game like this so will more than likely fit into the second or third description above.

synce

Everybody wants Q, obviously.

Depends on which market you're talking about. Last major BlazBlue release got 72k during its opening week in Japan. SF5 got 47k.

I agree SF5 would have had sales troubles regardless of content levels, for a bunch of reasons, but it definitely did a lot worse than it should have.

And as others have probably pointed out, it's not clear what sort of long tail this game will actually have. Most console sales are super front loaded, and I'm not convinced the current pricing model will let it prosper much on PC. Hopefully Capcom really is planning on making this free-to-play before its too late.

I find it hard to believe Blazblue sold that much on PS4. The series isn't as big as SF and the console flopped in Japan.

People need to realize that these days you can release an unfinished broken game and it will still sell very well if there's enough name brand recognition or advertising. If the SF numbers are unimpressive it's due to it being only on PS4 and everything that entails.

I find it hard to believe Blazblue sold that much on PS4. The series isn't as big as SF and the console flopped in Japan.

People need to realize that these days you can release an unfinished broken game and it will still sell very well if there's enough name brand recognition or advertising. If the SF numbers are unimpressive it's due to it being only on PS4 and everything that entails.

Being the number one home console world wide? Also, PS4 hasn't flopped in Japan, that's silly. Additionally the game is on PC. Unless you think that releasing on Xbox One, the second place home console AND an actual flop in Japan, would have magically made this game sell millions at launch, I dont get that statement? The game launched how it launched because Capcom needed something out for tournament season and only focused on the functions needed for that. This, in turn, lead to a product for what would be deemed the hardcore, with a lack of content that would bring in larger casual market.

Unfortunately gaming is still dominated by a large portion of younger audiences and the internet is a great place for them to “express” themselves. Game is a solid 7/10 nothing less, nothing more.

Content updates turns it into a classic, but what are you gonna do, dem’z the ropes. Capcom should have released this month with at least a more stable online, the store up, and all the beginner trails and tutorials. Would have given newcomers something to do a least after story mode. People want RPG elements.

Capcom can release SFV:Complete Edition or something with a lot more content and it will get reviewed like a new game and replace the old one. Hopefully that’s what they have planned.

Yeah unpredictable Laura is the worse thanks to Ex-Shoulders having one hit of armor.

They need to get rid of that shit on Laura and R.Mika.
It's not unpredictable. When I'm playing FANG and Laura is in front of my trap, I'm ALWAYS mindful of her EX-shoulder. It's just part of the matchup and the character's capabilities.

EDIT:
Unless what you said was sarcasm.

Yeah unpredictable Laura is the worse thanks to Ex-Shoulders having one hit of armor.

They need to get rid of that shit on Laura and R.Mika.
It's the only thing she has that resembles a reversal and her best way to deal with fireballs, she's already vulnerable on wake up as it is. Plus it's super unsafe and it coats meter.

Wanna remove that? Fine, then give her a real EX grab and have her Vskill dash pass under fireballs. Either that or stop being read lol

ElFly

man there is so many things in this game are just down right broken, I know I am not going over anything new here but I am just so pissed off with how broken everything is in this game.

I am sitting here trying to view a replay and all i get is a connecting screen.
I mean you guys talk about casuals not buying the game because the lack of single player content, but when you cant even view a simple replay because of their wack servers you tend to wonder how in the hell this game was allowed to come out in the state its in.

The stats in the fighter profile still don't work correctly nearly four weeks after release no capcom i don't use ryu and no I didn't last play your game in 1906, I understand some of you guys might not care about all that crap but it would be nice to have features (that where advertised) that have been in since the first beta test actually work correctly, my LP still hasn't properly updated for a week now meaning I haven't unlocked titles that I've earned for ranking up booo hooo i hear you cry but unlocking stuff is fun and if it wasn't there id just play casual.

The connection filters when looking for a match barely work and battle lounges are a toss up as to whether or not it'll work

its such a shame because the actual 1v1 fighting is so much fun

Yeah, the server issues don't get shit on enough.

It is crazy this happens with all the betas for the multiplayer.

Someone RQed on me.

Super Bronze R Mika with 20 wins. Yeah right.

A huge win streak in SFV is almost the same as your disconnect percentage in SFIV or MKX.

ElTopo

Banned
It's not unpredictable. When I'm playing FANG and Laura is in front of my trap, I'm ALWAYS mindful of her EX-shoulder. It's just part of the matchup and the character's capabilities.

EDIT:
Unless what you said was sarcasm.

Nah, just her EX Shoulder can hit you from just over half screen distance and instantly blows up fireballs so long as your reaction timing isn't that of a dead sloth. It's fine, right?

No one is allowed to hate a character or a specific move because some bored asshole will try to "expose" you.

New guys don’t listen to these negative nannies! Street Fighter still takes a while to get good at, even with this version. If you start now, you’ll be bopping people by the June/July when the game gets more exposure and probably have some new comers come in for the big story mode and sale prices.

Get gud’ now, maybe buy it once the first patch goes up and the character trials are live.

Nah, just her EX Shoulder can hit you from just over half screen distance and instantly blows up fireballs so long as your reaction timing isn't that of a dead sloth. It's fine, right?

No one is allowed to hate a character or a specific move because some bored asshole will try to "expose" you.

Why would you not be ready for it when she has meter? What are you doing throwing fireballs when they're baiting you?

Number45

If you just want raw data then frame data apps are good.

Guides however, are great for helping in genuinely learning mechanics and characters.
This is why I wanted the guide specifically, but I'm not sure I like the idea of an eGuide... though on the flip side it's going to get a season of updates.

Also says it's searchable and has frame data, but I don't know if it'll be as convenient as just doing it through a small app. Kind of tempted to get both but I'm curious to see how good the eGuide is - sample here looks OK.

ElTopo

Banned
Why would you not be ready for it when she has meter? What are you doing throwing fireballs when they're baiting you?

Just ignore the fact that she can stay at over half screen distance away and catch you and it's incredibly easy for her to do that. Just completely ignore that, right?

Oh and also, her EX Bolt can catch you out of the air if you neutral jump because why not? Cue some dude jumping in saying: "What are you doing neutral jumping? She has meter so she can do that whenever."

"What are you doing using a fireball character? Laura can shut that right down unless you're at max possible range."

Just ignore the fact that she can stay at over half screen distance away and catch you and it's incredibly easy for her to do that. Just completely ignore that, right?

Well..... yes.

For the same reason I wouldn't jump in on a crouching Guile, the same reason I wouldn't want to spam fullscreen fireballs against Bison or Nash and the same reason I wouldn't try to use regular fireballs against a character who has an easy to use and fast armored move. That's part of the strength of the character.

When they get the bar to be able to use their EX shoulder, their strategy will change and they'll be more willing to take risks and stay closer since they'll have that opportunity available to them.

But you know that too. So you need to adapt as well.

Syntsui

Oh and also, her EX Bolt can catch you out of the air if you neutral jump because why not? Cue some dude jumping in saying: "What are you doing neutral jumping? She has meter so she can do that whenever."

"What are you doing using a fireball character? Laura can shut that right down unless you're at max possible range."

Git gud son. I was beaten 15-2 to a Laura two days ago and I blamed only myself for the lack of knowledge on the matchup. Now I know I have to respect her when she has meter and that her frametraps are jumpable or shoryukenable. Just yesterday I beated every Laura I faced. You are blocking yourself from improving if you keep spitting bullshit.

You're talking like this one move makes her impossible to beat.

If Birdie or Necalli start busting through your attacks with their specials, are you going to cry like this?

jeemer

I ... don't think anyone is saying to ignore that. Instead, pay attention to it. This is what matchup knowledge is all about.

You need to be aware of situations where your opponent's character has a counter for your tools. Fireball in certain situations when she has no meter, then throw out a fake short or something when she has meter to bait the ex shoulder.

At least it costs her meter to do it. Rashid can roll and punish fireballs free midscreen.

I ... don't think anyone is saying to ignore that. Instead, pay attention to it. This is what matchup knowledge is all about.

You need to be aware of situations where your opponent's character has a counter for your tools. Fireball in certain situations when she has no meter, then throw out a fake short or something when she has meter to bait the ex shoulder.

I think he just doesn't know how to play fighting games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom