• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

https://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus/v/55104247

Can any of you guys please tell me why I keep failing to combo my st.MP into QCB-LK? It's supposed to be a core Rashid combo and I've tried for literally two hours now and only succeeded twice.
Do it faster. You can do stmp in medium eagle spike as well. Practice stmp cr. Mk into light eagle spike.

If you are still having trouble practice cr.mk into fireball with ryu. Same concept.

def sim

So, using a controller, I should hit QCB while pressing Y, then A?

It doesn't have to be at the same time, just soon after.

I can't seem to find the sweet spot. If I do it as fast as I can, nothing comes out at all. If I slow down at all, the kick comes too late to combo.

Try to do the combo in one smooth motion. You don't have to rush it.

It's much slower and deliberate than you probably think.

It doesn't have to be at the same time, just soon after.

Try to do the combo in one smooth motion. You don't have to rush it.

It's much slower and deliberate than you probably think.

Alright, thanks, I'll keep at it.

Edit: No, this really isn't working. I'm physically incapable of cancels.

Alright, thanks, I'll keep at it.

Edit: No, this really isn't working. I'm physically incapable of cancels.

Press MP
input down, down-back, back (QCB)
then press LK

The QCB has to be after the MP but before the LK.

The timing to press the LK is very slightly later than the moment the MP makes contact.

Turn on your input display and make sure you are inputting the QCB properly and smoothly.

If your motion is correct but the cancel didn't happen, you pressed LK at the wrong time. If you pressed LK at the right time but the cancel didn't happen, your motion was wrong.

All cancels operate this way. It is either the motion or the timing of the 2nd button press that needs work. Isolate the issue.

Press MP
input down, down-back, back (QCB)
then press LK

The QCB has to be after the MP but before the LK.

The timing to press the LK is very slightly later than the moment the MP makes contact.

Turn on your input display and make sure you are inputting the QCB properly and smoothly.

If your motion is correct but the cancel didn't happen, you pressed LK at the wrong time. If you pressed LK at the right time but the cancel didn't happen, your motion was wrong.

All cancels operate this way. It is either the motion or the timing of the 2nd button press that needs work. Isolate the issue.

I'm trying, man, but that's just insane to me. I don't have the reflexes to do that kind of input. By the time I finish the QCB, the MP's been done for a hot minute.

Edit: Gonna keep trying, just getting pretty salty. I've never had this problem in any other fighting game.

I'm trying, man, but that's just insane to me. I don't have the reflexes to do that kind of input. By the time I finish the QCB, the MP's been done for a hot minute.

Edit: Gonna keep trying, just getting pretty salty. I've never had this problem in any other fighting game.

What kind of controller are you using?

Xbox One Elite.

Also, it looks like my input's always "Down, Diagonal Back, Back, Back-LK"

Is that the problem? I can't for the life of me seem to have the LK come out on the first Back, or is that just how it displays?

That's fine, the direction you're holding will reappear if you press a button.

Two things to check:

1) The MP must hit or be blocked. You cannot cancel normals when they miss (whiff)

2) Can you do a qcb+LK on its own? Try doing 5 in a row. Then, simply walk up to the dummy and press MP before doing the same thing.

Also remember that you can press the kick -after- you input back, the back and the LK don't have to be at the same time.

Also, if you're using the dpad, consider using the analog stick briefly. Slide from down to left, going along the edge of the circle. The motion should take less than 1/4th of a second because it is a smooth motion, like dragging a finger across a touchscreen or petting an animal.

That's fine, the direction you're holding will reappear if you press a button.

Two things to check:

1) The MP must hit or be blocked. You cannot cancel normals when they miss (whiff)

2) Can you do a qcb+LK on its own? Try doing 5 in a row. Then, simply walk up to the dummy and press MP before doing the same thing.

Also remember that you can press the kick -after- you input back, the back and the LK don't have to be at the same time.

Also, if you're using the dpad, consider using the analog stick briefly. Slide from down to left, going along the edge of the circle. The motion should take less than 1/4th of a second because it is a smooth motion, like dragging a finger across a touchscreen or petting an animal.

I can do QCB-LK 100% perfectly.

I can also do st. MP-QCB LK perfectly.

I can also do c.HP-st.MP perfectly.

The problem only arises when I try to do all three.

I can do any two moves in the combo 100% of the time. It's doing all three that's fucking me up.

THAT SAID I'm doing what you said, and I'm managing the whole combo like 30% of the time now, so this is extremely helpful, thank you!

I can do any two moves in the combo 100% of the time. It's doing all three that's fucking me up.

THAT SAID I'm doing what you said, and I'm managing the whole combo like 30% of the time now, so this is extremely helpful, thank you!

Practice takes a little time. I can see you're already putting the pieces together. The key to proper practice is to know -why- you fail each time you fail, that way you can try to address it.

If you can do the stMP xx LK Eagle Spike, practice it until you can do it 5 times on a row. See if you can even get to 10, 15, or higher.

Do the same thing with crHP, stMP.

When you can do each piece many times in a row consistently, you can combine them. It's a bit like Legos. Your hands should still do the exact same thing you've practiced, but in series rather than separately.

Ahhh....you're getting there. Don't give up. This is me exactly when I first started fighting games. I started with Ryu's jump hk into cr mk. Once I mastered that, I moved on to cr mk into fireball. Once I could do that, I'd do all 3 in one go. I kept it till I could do that 100%. Take it from someone that went through these exact same steps. Just keep at it. If you get frustrated, try doing something else or playing some other stuff first, and get back to this one you've calmed down.

Thanks for the help, guys, big time. This isn't the first fighting game I've been serious about, but the last two - MvC3 and DOA4 - I feel like were a lot more combo-driven, so I had an easier time chaining inputs.

Feels like the timing is tighter in SFV.

Thanks for the help, guys, big time. This isn't the first fighting game I've been serious about, but the last two - MvC3 and DOA4 - I feel like were a lot more combo-driven, so I had an easier time chaining inputs.

Compared to something like Marvel 3, the timing is a bit tighter. Compared to SF4, you basically have all day to do links and cancel into stuff. It won't take very long to get used to it.

iverson-practice-o.gif

Slaythe

No. I can't combo for shit in sfiv, here I rarely ever drop a combo, ever. Crazy easy combos IMO.

That being said, not all characters are to do combos. Vega plays completely differently than Ken etc...

SlimXx

Many of us here learned how to do combos in Street Fighter by playing for years, so don't feel bad if it takes you a few minutes or even hours to get good at a particular combo.

DNxL8f6.png

Vex_

Banned
So now I'm curious:

I'm over here wondering what the point of having 3 punch buttons (or kicks) for command grabs are? Looking at the frame data for say Cyclone and Birdman, I see no difference in recovery, start up, or active frames? The only difference is damage? So why wouldn't I always do the Hard Punch (or hard kick versions in the case of laura).

I am speaking of the standing command grabs obviously -- not the ones where there is movement involved (example: birdman's jumping grabs and Cyclone's running grabs) or EX versions.

Ferrio

Banned
So now I'm curious:

I'm over here wondering what the point of having 3 punch buttons (or kicks) for command grabs are? Looking at the frame data for say Cyclone and Birdman, I see no difference in recovery, start up, or active frames? The only difference is damage? So why wouldn't I always do the Hard Punch (or hard kick versions in the case of laura).

I am speaking of the standing command grabs obviously -- not the ones where there is movement involved (example: birdman's jumping grabs and Cyclone's running grabs) or EX versions.

Range. Lighter versions have longer range than the stronger ones, except for EX which usually has a bigger range and maybe more properties.

No. I can't combo for shit in sfiv, here I rarely ever drop a combo, ever. Crazy easy combos IMO.

That being said, not all characters are to do combos. Vega plays completely differently than Ken etc...

Honestly, compared to most fighting games execution in SFV is still well harder than most. The inability to buffer inputs being the main reason. Though it's worth mentioning combos are a bit more straight forward in sf games than others.
That said, it's kind of insane to me street fighter is most peoples first fighter. The execution barrier is so high... Talk about trial by fire.

Vex_

Banned
Range. Lighter versions have longer range than the stronger ones, except for EX which usually has a bigger range and maybe more properties.

AHA! I SEE. Hmmmm. So this is also true across the board for everyone (ex: rmika, birdman, and lovely Laura) correct?

Vahagn

Yea Laura HK command grab is useless as fuck. It does 10 more damage than MK and 20 more damage than LK. You're much better off using LK or MK, taking the lower damage but not whiffing.

Whiffing her command grab just out of range will annihilate you with brutal punishes.

AHA! I SEE. Hmmmm. So this is also true across the board for everyone (ex: rmika, birdman, and lovely Laura) correct?

The best way to see the difference is with Zangief. His Heavy SPD requires you to be in practically make out range with them, while his light SPD is around the range where some character's medium normals would even whiff. But the difference in damage/stun is also substantial.

Other characters have less of a difference between damage.

And vega. Vega has a command grab too. :3 Also for example, gief, if you grab them with the light version you'll wind up slightly further away from your opponent after the grab then the hard version.

Vahagn

I've basically played exclusively with Laura so far and want to try someone new - non grapplery.

I like Laura because I like Abel and Alex. The Zangief/Birdie types I have no desire to play.

Any suggestions? (No shoto's obviously, those can be played at any time)

I've basically player exclusively with Laura so far and want to try someone new - non grapplery.

I like Laura because I like Abel and Alex. The Zangief/Birdie types I have no desire to play.

You could try Vega or Bison.

Birdie is also good because while he does have a command grab, he's still zoner, not a grappler.

EDIT: Maybe you'll like Necalli?

Vahagn

You could try Vega or Bison.

Birdie is also good because while he does have a command grab, he's still zoner, not a grappler.

EDIT: Maybe you'll like Necalli?

I played vega a lot in sf4. Loved him there. This version seems more reliant on poking at a distance and playing keep away. Plus the claw off/on dynamic annoys me. I think I'll give him a try later. Dictator is just brutal. I wanna get good with him and use him as my beat down character

This is fucking incredible. Bravo!

Man - you made my day !!! this is awesome ...

Lol@scruffs (ranked 426) and still can't take a loss - happened so many times !

Thank you both. Making that helped keep my sanity after losing 2-3 vs bronze players only to have these so called Gold players quit on me. By my calculations Capcom owes me about 500-700 LP so I consider myself a a super gold and one of the best players in the world lol.

Vex_

Banned
The best way to see the difference is with Zangief. His Heavy SPD requires you to be in practically make out range with them, while his light SPD is around the range where some character's medium normals would even whiff. But the difference in damage/stun is also substantial.

Other characters have less of a difference between damage.

And vega. Vega has a command grab too. :3 Also for example, gief, if you grab them with the light version you'll wind up slightly further away from your opponent after the grab then the hard version.

Thanks again, gentlemen. That tip with the GIEFMAN MUSCLE is something I didn't notice either. Good looks.

Frame date on Birdie's cr mp is a straight up lie. It hits so much wider it's not even funny.
Also, you can really tell the evidence of extensive nerfing on Necalli, so many attacks where his limbs extend past the hurtbox...

Yea, it stops cross ups sometimes too. It is a beast. Hope they don't nerf it :c...

Rage quitting getting on my nerves. As soon as I see double digit wins, I just know it's going to be a disconnect. It's just a question of if it's going to be the end of the first round or near the end of the second...

What are the best resources in terms of learning Vega?
I've anyways liked him, but I've never been a fan of charge characters outside Guile and Chun-Li, so I wouldn't mind trying to learn him on this.

My knowledge of him on this game is that his HP cancels into the claw switch move, and that's about it. I've only fought one Vega online too, so I don't have any first hand experience fighting him.

great games man, thanks! that double KO early on was awesome :) sorry about the lag patches, not sure what happened. it seemed ok for the most part though. you have a great handle on your characters fundamentals. i had to play very patiently and more respectfully than normal, especially against your nash. i had to do a lot of sitting and blocking - you must blow a LOT of people who press buttons up with him.

if i may give a couple of pointers - sometimes you would block midscreen and i was free to bully you with lights/whirlies when you could have v-reversaled or otherwise escaped. in footsies you seemed to have a great handle on his buttons, but you would often stand still rather than moving in and out of my normal's ranges. nash's anti air (cr.mp?) also is BROKEN as far as i know, but i got away with a lot of daft jump-ins. your anti air game was on point with cammy and ken. i also whored neutral jump heavy into overhead when the heavy was blocked - i didn't mean to at first, it just kept happening and then i kept doing it when i got away with it. great set though, i'd be well up for playing another time.

thanks, that was fun. yea, your defence was what beat me most of the time. i just couldn't get through. forced me to go for throws. my AA game is bad with certain characters. seems i just react too slow for no particular reason. i got better with blocking at the end, now i just need to learn when to punish him properly. just pm me when you want to play or write here anytime, thanks.

yea, that was my first double ko :D

KingBroly

Banned
Starting to get the feeling that framerate drops while connected to their servers are caused by the servers themselves.

Edit: And Cammy's V-Skill goes through Nash's CA. What?

hertog

Man, everyone got better this week.

Last week, My struggle was to not fall from Super Bronze, and a few days I managed to stay there consistently.

This week, my struggle is to actually get to Super Bronze.

And it is not just me getting worse; I just don't get matched to the people I used to wtfpwn just by letting them jump at me anymore.

I know this feel.
I just have too little time to play. This whole week I had like 1,5 hours solid game time.

Hopefully I can play a bit more this weekend :(

KingBroly

Banned
9/16 Hard Survival done now with Nash out of the way.

I had to stop for a couple of minutes because I was getting MAJOR framerate drops. Hence why I think it's the servers now, cuz they're ass, have been ass, and will probably continue to be ass.

So...how to cheese with Nash in Survival?
- Light Sonic Boom
- Hard Sweep
- Medium DP
- QCB+K

Nash has A LOT of startup time on moves past light, so I recommend only using them early on when the AI's dumb. But as the AI gets more advanced, you have to be faster. The Wave 44 Mika on Hard is an input reading SOB and just destroys you. It's easily the toughest fight in Hard Survival.

Garcian

Anyone know a beginner's guide to Dhalsim? I've only ever really played fast moving characters in the past, so some tips on how to approach etc would be great.

Ugh

I feel like the last five days or so have been nothing but stagnation. For some reason I'm dropping more and more of my combos. Tonight's ranked was passable, but the highlights must have been three particularly weird/rage inducing matches. The fight was against a guy named Recdun(?) who used Rashid. The guy literally jumped backwards for ten seconds after the start of the round and spent the entire three rounds jumping or mashing low kick. It felt good to kill him before he got lucky a second time. People who literally mash and jump for their lives so brainlessly confuse me. The second was a FANG player that I perfected once pretty handily. Somehow he comes back and eats my face alive with his stupid poison. The worst must have been a ragequitting Vega that clearly had skill. I hate these people more than scrubs that ragequit habitually. They've got skill, but they decide it's not enough and they quit when the going gets tough after making someone earn their win. Fuck that guy. He was nameless, so I can't even rage at anything except Vega. It's okay because I hate his smug ass too.

Oh, and I fought some fights that really felt like cheating. One Nash felt like he had frame perfect reactions on top of what felt like rollback induced teleports and a Bison that was practically a zombie for a match and a half before wigging out and hitting me with a full Hard survival mode EX special punish combo that ate my life up faster than Christie at Rubio at the republican debate. It was like seeing someone hulk out a minute after waking up from a coma. This game is insane online.
Altering options that he had in 3S doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing in SFV.

Everybody is gonna own Alex. You could afford him for free by playing the game for literally 15 minutes. Story mode alone gets you him.
Eh, premium costumes, survival colors, japanese colors and future DLC characters means some people will surely hold onto their money.
I've basically played exclusively with Laura so far and want to try someone new - non grapplery.

I feel like Birdie has more in common with Alex than he does Zangief. Like Alex (or at least his 3S version) he has a horizontal travelling special that can be followed up with a super, he has too many command grabs and he is an AA machine. Of course, he is different in a lot of ways too.
Some Super Silver scrub named RamBam couldn't handle getting demolished in a Necalli mirror match and RQ on me. This kind of stuff is so rampant in silver that it's taking me forever to get near Gold.
Rage quitting getting on my nerves. As soon as I see double digit wins, I just know it's going to be a disconnect. It's just a question of if it's going to be the end of the first round or near the end of the second...
I feel that. A good Vega ragequit on me after dancing around me for a long time. Just a couple of mistakes and prick could have beaten me and gotten a ton of points too. These people are absolutely shameless, especially when they're playing a match up clearly in their favor.
Someone please help my R Mika.

I'm too plop.

Where do I bring in the shenanigans?
When do you not bring then in? Wakeup EX qcf.p is real in desperate situations, V-skill armored taunt will give you a free combo at least once in the corner and her charged hk works way too often for something that can be jabbed out of the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom