• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_standard

Neo Member
Rough night for me 2 disconnections at Vs. Screen. I'm playing Necali and NASH is eating me alive. Even if I play very cautious defense half his stuff can't be blocked. so whats the point you make 2 mistakes and the match is over. I'm not a rage quitter but felt like I might as well surrender if its nash. back to studying guides.

Finaika

Got to Ultra Bronze then lost 4 in a row including against a regular Bronze.
I think I'm done for a while.

image.php

Well it's not doing anything should I reinvite?

ggs, Jam. I noticed that you were getting caught by the cr.mk->mk stomp frame trap a lot. I alternate between HK and MK stomp, and you were punishing the HK pretty consistently, but it's kinda hard to tell the difference. If I do MK stomp that's - on block though, so if you react quick enough you can usually pressure after. Also, any chance you can, back tech on any knockdown Necalli gives you, since that messes up a lot of his setups.

Yeah skill-wise we were pretty even, it just seemed like you didn't have that much experience against Necalli. One perk of not many people playing him online, lol.

Edzi

Btw Moaradin, you wouldn't happen to have any advice for me after those sets, would you? Not sure what I can do to improve aside from work on my execution.

ACE 1991

Well I've mentally leveled up to where I'm enjoying 90% of my matches win or lose. On a side note, how do you play defense against Karin? I have a lot of difficulty nlokcing her specials.

ggs, Jam. I noticed that you were getting caught by the cr.mk->mk stomp frame trap a lot. I alternate between HK and MK stomp, and you were punishing the HK pretty consistently, but it's kinda hard to tell the difference. If I do MK stomp that's - on block though, so if you react quick enough you can usually pressure after. Also, any chance you can, back tech on any knockdown Necalli gives you, since that messes up a lot of his setups.

Yeah skill-wise we were pretty even, it just seemed like you didn't have that much experience against Necalli. One perk of not many people playing him online, lol.

I expected you to jump more often as usually the necalli's I played online like to do that to avoid Laura's grab but you did not care!

Laura's overhead blocked is super negative, and on hit it so don't be afraid to do stuff after. Just be careful cause a bait can be costly. I'm bad at not stopping pressing buttons and you exposed that a few times, overall ggs. I need to dash in grab more often as that seemed to work well against me :)

Moaradin

Btw Moaradin, you wouldn't happen to have any advice for me after those sets, would you? Not sure what I can do to improve aside from work on my execution.

Don't know much about Necalli but you could definitely anti air more. I got a lot of free jump ins when we played.

I expected you to jump more often as usually the necalli's I played online like to do that to avoid Laura's grab but you did not care!

Laura's overhead blocked is super negative, and on hit it so don't be afraid to do stuff after. Just be careful cause a bait can be costly. I'm bad at not stopping pressing buttons and you exposed that a few times, overall ggs. I need to dash in grab more often as that seemed to work well against me :)

Yeah, I know the overhead is super negative, and I actually thought I did a fair job blocking it. I just got excited whenever I blocked it and then forgot to punish so I'd usually just mash jab. >_>

I noticed you went for the same setup a few times with the grab. I forget the starter but it was a normal into jab into command grab. I pretty much tried to DP every time I saw you go through that string but I'm pretty bad at getting out reversals.

As for dash up grab, it's a good tool since Necalli's dash is godlike, but unless I have meter it's not that scary, really. LP throw has decent range but does about as much damage as a normal throw and has terrible oki. HP throw has okay damage but the range is ridiculously awful and it's not much more positive than LP. His EX throw is pretty damn good though, so if a Necalli has at least one bar that's when you need to look out for YOLO grabs or setups, because that's when he can really get the party started.

NOTHING IS MORE ANNOYING THAN A 1500-2000 KEN PLAYER.... FUCKING UNORTHODOX DP SPAM... every fucking time i get to like 3800-3900 this game will make sure to match me against one or more.. do totally fine against ken players 2500-4000. woosah

His cr. Hp is so slow, you wight as well dp with read you have to make. Is st lp his actual best go to aa?

st.lp and HP DP are Necalli's best anti-airs, in my experience. All 3 frame jabs in SFV are godlike anti-airs. I have trouble doing DP on reaction, but it's hitbox is really good, and it usually autocorrects on cross-ups so it's worth trying more often than not. I have bad experiences trying cr.HP. Too slow to do on reaction and the hitbox ain't that great either.

st.lp and HP DP are Necalli's best anti-airs, in my experience. All 3 frame jabs in SFV are godlike anti-airs. I have trouble doing DP on reaction, but it's hitbox is really good, and it usually autocorrects on cross-ups so it's worth trying more often than not. I have bad experiences trying cr.HP. Too slow to do on reaction and the hitbox ain't that great either.

I prefer lp dp. It goes straight up, catches cross up attempts sometimes, less recovery and (unless that hp dp hits really meaty) does more damage. A solid 80.

Edzi

WTF was the point of me choosing a region if this godawful matchmakling is just going to constantly put me against low ranking lag fests from different countries? The League system is already stupid because you lose crazy amounts per loss past silver, but on top of that I'm losing hundreds at a time due to teleport fests.

I prefer lp dp. It goes straight up, catches cross up attempts sometimes, less recovery and (unless that hp dp hits really meaty) does more damage. A solid 80.

Only slight lower body invincibility though, so I'm pretty sure it'd get stuffed easily.

ElTopo

Banned
NOTHING IS MORE ANNOYING THAN A 1500-2000 KEN PLAYER.... FUCKING UNORTHODOX DP SPAM... every fucking time i get to like 3800-3900 this game will make sure to match me against one or more.. do totally fine against ken players 2500-4000. woosah

Just block and punish dude. If they're mashing that much, just block and Crush Counter them.

Just block and punish dude. If they're mashing that much, just block and Crush Counter them.

Hard to read people that just spam and don't think though. Like i said i have no problem with Ken players 2500-4000. Also doesn't help that I'm relentlessly offensive Rashid player most games.

The worst is when you try to do that and you mistime your crush counter normal and eat another DP. I lost to a Super Bronze Ryu a couple days ago who for some mythical reason I couldn't punish his blocked and whiffed DP's. I blame lag, capcom's netcode and Donald Trump.

ElTopo

Banned
The worst is when you try to do that and you mistime your crush counter normal and eat another DP. I lost to a Super Bronze Ryu a couple days ago who for some mythical reason I couldn't punish his blocked and whiffed DP's. I blame lag, capcom's netcode and Donald Trump.

That really only happens if there's some lag or your character has a CC with a lot of startup.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Had another dope session with my best friend. I finally took out Mika on him--I had kept her on the sidelines every time we played more or less. I only did it cuz he started off using her though. Can't be using my main, son! Me and him have that "beef" going back and forth ever since he co-opted my man Hugo. No honor at all, but he's an OG Ken main so it makes sense.

Anyway, Mika wrecked him hard. Even caught a mic death on him. He hates her more than ever. The flip side? I hate his main, Laura. Can't stand her. Never know what to do against her, never play against her, and he keeps her sidelined like I do Mika when we play each other.

So, yup, he whipped her out one time against my wack Vega and destroyed me but whatever, Mika smacked one of his true mains around so it's all good. Plus I ended up winning the set, FT3, 8-4.

Only bad part? We got disconnected from the server mid-match!! Crazy.

Still, me and my boy still go at it like it's 20 years ago.

Street Fighter is life, after all.

Good games Greg. Your Nash is not bad, watch out for the jump backs, Laura can punish jump backs on wake up with her s.mk even if she looks far away. Other than missing some of your punish combos your game plan was good, she doesn't get chipped when she does ex.elbow so watch out for throwing booms even if she has no life.

Hard to read people that just spam and don't think though. Like i said i have no problem with Ken players 2500-4000. Also doesn't help that I'm relentlessly offensive Rashid player most games.

If you notice a tendency of the lower level players to just mash buttons (especially if it's a Ken that DPs a lot), just play a more defensive game and punish all their unsafe buttons. Chances are they'll just mash and press shit and won't know how to open you up if you properly space yourself.

Just catch all their jumps with anti-airs and block on their wakeup nearly all the time (basically until they're conditioned to not DP on wakeup) and you'll make quick work of all the low level players.

RM8

Wow, I faced several Zangiefs today :0 He's becoming a bit more popular. And today I was in a Karin mood... I honestly don't like that match up a lot, lol.

Sickbean

Sorry for the really basic question, but can someone explain exactly what 'reversal' and 'counter hit' indicators mean, and their usefulness?

Edgeward

Sorry for the really basic question, but can someone explain exactly what 'reversal' and 'counter hit' indicators mean, and their usefulness?

Reversal means the person did a move as soon as he came out of either blockstun or getting up after being knocked down. In terms of application it's useful for identifying if the opponent is mashing out a move when you are trying to do a combo. If for example I try to do Mika's st mp, st mp xx Peach shooter but in the middle of the the two st mps I get hit with a dragon punch that means two things 1) I didn't properly combo the two together and 2) the opponent is gonna keep doing the motion for the dragon punch. So I can either make sure my combos are executed well or purposefully stop my combo and block to bait out the DP.

Counter hit refers to when you hit an opponent before they can get there own move out. This will typically occur when player A is attacking player B, who is blocking. Should player B attempt to press an attack that is slow or during a time where he is at a frame disadvantage, player A's attack will hit B for a counter hit. In this game a counter hit gives an additional +2 frames of hitstun. This allows for combos that would not normally be possible to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom