• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you notice a tendency of the lower level players to just mash buttons (especially if it's a Ken that DPs a lot), just play a more defensive game and punish all their unsafe buttons. Chances are they'll just mash and press shit and won't know how to open you up if you properly space yourself.

Just catch all their jumps with anti-airs and block on their wakeup nearly all the time (basically until they're conditioned to not DP on wakeup) and you'll make quick work of all the low level players.

Yeah I really need to learn how to slow down in those fights. Thanks for the advice.

Zissou

Sorry for the really basic question, but can someone explain exactly what 'reversal' and 'counter hit' indicators mean, and their usefulness?

A reversal is performing an attack the first instant possible after recovering from blocking, getting up from a knockdown, etc. The indicator is to let you know you did the attack as fast as possible.

A counter hit is when one attack hits the opposing character during the startup frames of their attack. For example, if I attack with Chun's standing heavy punch and you tried to sweep right as my attack was about to hit you, you would get counter hit. A counter hit does more hitstun (2 frames more) than a regular hit, so it's easier to combo after a counter hit and certain combos only work if they start with a counter hit. Crush counters are when certain specified normals counter hit the opponent and allow even more follow-up opportunities.

edit: damn you Edgeward

Momentary

Banned
I'm going to forget this game and its 5 bar laggy matches. I don't feel bad that it's sitting at a 45% approval rating on STEAM. This is ridiculous to be in California and experiencing matches this bad when the game says it's good.

Paragon... a game that isn't even released yet, has better netcode than this piece of excrement.

remz

I'm going to forget this game and its 5 bar laggy matches. I don't feel bad that it's sitting at a 45% approval rating on STEAM. This is ridiculous to be in California and experiencing matches this bad when the game says it's good.

Paragon... a game that isn't even released yet, has better netcode than this piece of excrement.
Oh I'm sure everyone is going to be paying paragon :rolleyes:

yeah that moba is gonna be scratching my sfv itch

remz

... Okay. I don't see what you're moronic statement has to do with the state of the game's netcode.
I'd argue comparing the netcode of a moba to a fighter is moronic to begin with.

It's like saying FIFA is so laggy!! I'm going to play battlefield

Momentary

Banned
I'd argue comparing the netcode of a moba to a fighter is moronic to begin with.

It's like saying FIFA is so laggy!! I'm going to play battlefield

Oh my bad there bro. GGXrd, BBCPE, and Skulllgirls on PC have better netcode.. My bad. Should have spoke in a language you could understand.

That's what's hilarious. A MOBA HAS BETTER NETCODE THAN THIS CRAP!

Oh and never mind the fact that alt-tabbing while waiting for a match causes the damn thing to crash. What a joke.

Sickbean

Reversal means the person did a move as soon as he came out of either blockstun or getting up after being knocked down. In terms of application it's useful for identifying if the opponent is mashing out a move when you are trying to do a combo. If for example I try to do Mika's st mp, st mp xx Peach shooter but in the middle of the the two st mps I get hit with a dragon punch that means two things 1) I didn't properly combo the two together and 2) the opponent is gonna keep doing the motion for the dragon punch. So I can either make sure my combos are executed well or purposefully stop my combo and block to bait out the DP.

Counter hit refers to when you hit an opponent before they can get there own move out. This will typically occur when player A is attacking player B, who is blocking. Should player B attempt to press an attack that is slow or during a time where he is at a frame disadvantage, player A's attack will hit B for a counter hit. In this game a counter hit gives an additional +2 frames of hitstun. This allows for combos that would not normally be possible to occur.

A reversal is performing an attack the first instant possible after recovering from blocking, getting up from a knockdown, etc. The indicator is to let you know you did the attack as fast as possible.

A counter hit is when one attack hits the opposing character during the startup frames of their attack. For example, if I attack with Chun's standing heavy punch and you tried to sweep right as my attack was about to hit you, you would get counter hit. A counter hit does more hitstun (2 frames more) than a regular hit, so it's easier to combo after a counter hit and certain combos only work if they start with a counter hit. Crush counters are when certain specified normals counter hit the opponent and allow even more follow-up opportunities.

edit: damn you Edgeward

Perfect explanations, thanks.

Are there only certain moves that work as reversals (e.g. Dragon Punch)?

Perfect explanations, thanks.

Are there only certain moves that work as reversals (e.g. Dragon Punch)?

"Reversal" just meant that you started the move as soon as you possibly could after either blocking something or getting up after being knocked down.

You can do just a regular light punch as a reversal, a heavy punch or kick, a special move or even your super as a reversal. Just about every move in your arsenal can be done as a "reversal".

DPs are good as reversals because they usually beat a lot of stuff that's coming towards you after getting knocked down but it's not a get-out-of-jail free card. If a person expects you to DP as a reversal then they'll block it and do a ton of damage in return.

Practice takes a little time. I can see you're already putting the pieces together. The key to proper practice is to know -why- you fail each time you fail, that way you can try to address it.

If you can do the stMP xx LK Eagle Spike, practice it until you can do it 5 times on a row. See if you can even get to 10, 15, or higher.

Do the same thing with crHP, stMP.

When you can do each piece many times in a row consistently, you can combine them. It's a bit like Legos. Your hands should still do the exact same thing you've practiced, but in series rather than separately.

It doesn't have to be at the same time, just soon after.

Try to do the combo in one smooth motion. You don't have to rush it.

It's much slower and deliberate than you probably think.

My boys! Thanks for all the help last night. I've been practicing, and, well:

http://www.twitch.tv/disastersaurus/v/55312872

Thanks to y'alls advice, this combo's on lockdown, and there's the proof. Appreciate it, guys.

Renekton

Paragon netplay doesn't seem like p2p?

Yea I know, it's Damdai vs. Perfect Legend, it's not like Damdai is infallible even though he is a great Ryu player in basically every SF. He lost in a close match, it happens.

they arent on the same plane of skill. top ryus also lose to random ass dhalsims, nashes and necralis. all some of the most unbalanced matchups ive seen in a fighting game

they arent on the same plane of skill. top ryus also lose to random ass dhalsims, nashes and necralis. all some of the most unbalanced matchups ive seen in a fighting game
Random ass doesn't mean that they suck.

Could just be that the dhalsims, nashes and necallis just out-played the ryus in that match, it doesn't mean that the matchup is just bad.

EDIT: or as kingofthedead pointed out, it could just as well be lack of experience with the matchup.

"they arent on the same plane of skill. top ryus also lose to random ass dhalsims, nashes and necralis. all some of the most unbalanced matchups ive seen in a fighting game"

Damdai got hit by raw fullscreen walldives and punished close range slides with low forward fireball.

Neither of those are things that should've happened. You're right that Damdai is a far better player in general, but just because someone is "technically" better doesn't mean they deserve to win a match when they're making wrong decisions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damdai is good and all but you can still see mistakes on both ends. He got hit by the EX wall slash a bunch of times which seemed weird.

"they arent on the same plane of skill. top ryus also lose to random ass dhalsims, nashes and necralis. all some of the most unbalanced matchups ive seen in a fighting game"

Damdai got hit by raw fullscreen walldives and punished close range slides with low forward fireball.

Neither of those are things that should've happened. You're right that Damdai is a far better player in general, but just because someone is "technically" better doesn't mean they deserve to win a match when they're making wrong decisions.

so whats your gameplan v vega as ryu?

Punish wall dives with jumping medium punch, seriously it's that simple. Take that away from that match and the ryu player would have won. Not to mention the lack of punishing correctly on the slides as well as pointed out. Nothing in that video show vega clearly having an advantage over ryu. Claws footsies game is strong and scary but ryu can handle it just fine.

If you want to be even more specific, he also not only failed to whiff punish ex roll, he v reversaled the other ex roll. Ex roll on block is minus 2. Theres no need to v reversal it, it's your "turn" after the last hit anyway. Total and complete lack of knowledge on the match up lol.

GorillaJu

Well first of all, simply learning what direction to block on wall dives would help a lot. He also missed huge damage potential on punishes. He had a lot of opportunities to win the match and didn't take his chances well enough. It happens - I didn't see a single thing that looked like Vega was a hard match-up for Ryu, just a player that got outplayed for 2 rounds.

"so whats your gameplan v vega as ryu?"

I mean you can just look at what Damdai did in those 2 (very close) rounds. A better punish at the end of round 1 and he would've won. Same with round 2. As well as not throwing that fireball at the end against a Vega who's clearly trigger happy with walldives. Now all of these things are easy to say when you're not in the match yourself, obviously, but this wasn't a match that was far from being won. I guarantee you, if Damdai were to ever watch that replay he wouldn't see an "impossible matchup" but a bunch of mistakes that he'll make an effort not to repeat.

This isn't that guy who refuses to believe Ryu has an invincible DP is it? If you think these are some of the most unbalanced matchups in fighting game history, you have no clue about actually awful matchups.

We're in the very ice cold reality in which Ryu is F tier and Tokido a low tier hero
image.php

Vex_

Banned
"so whats your gameplan v vega as ryu?"

I mean you can just look at what Damdai did in those 2 (very close) rounds. A better punish at the end of round 1 and he would've won. Same with round 2. As well as not throwing that fireball at the end against a Vega who's clearly trigger happy with walldives. Now all of these things are easy to say when you're not in the match yourself, obviously, but this wasn't a match that was far from being won. I guarantee you, if Damdai were to ever watch that replay he wouldn't see an "impossible matchup" but a bunch of mistakes that he'll make an effort not to repeat.

This isn't that guy who refuses to believe Ryu has an invincible DP is it? If you think these are some of the most unbalanced matchups in fighting game history, you have no clue about actually awful matchups.

I'm actually surprised he didn't fully PUNISH that Vega slide. Vega should've died right there.

He was also wasting meter on ex fireballs? Is this damdai new to sfv?

KingBroly

Banned
10/16 done in Hard Survival

just...fucking bullshit. That's all I have to say right now. Fuck AI Rashid. Fuck AI Mika. No professional player on Earth could play as well at the AI for those 2 characters.

Boke1879

Seems to have permanently dropped to $40. After only one month on sale.

That's a bomba.

It's honestly very similar to Ubisoft games. I'm glad it did this on a tournament weekend. I just picked the game up but still probably won't play it much until I get a fight stick

dude's not interested in learning. He just wants to blame everything else but his own lack of skill for losing.

Like this is Scrub Talk 101.

LifeLike

Why is the battle lounge search for new matches always give the same results? Why am I being disconnected from the lounge? Wtf the game is 1 month old and its still plagued with network issues!

Gbraga

I'm not really a Ryu player, but I played a couple of ft5 as Ryu against a Necalli yesterday, and it felt to me like it was in Ryu's favor. You can just stop his nonsense, and parries are VERY strong against his stomp pressure. Can't see why a top Ryu would lose to random ass Necallis for any reason other than lack of experience with the matchup.

I don't feel like Ryu has any actually bad matchups at all. He's a great character, and a lot of fun to play. I'd definitely main him if Karin wasn't in the game.

When it comes to how much fun I have using them, my rank is Karin > Ryu > Mika = Cammy > everyone else.

I love watching Chun, her normals are so godlike, reminds me a lot of 3S Chun. But when I play her, it's the most boring shit in the world.

About Necalli, he felt much stronger than he really was early on. I also think Karin beats him, easy.

Some times I think I'm just the opposite of most people who think their characters are garbage and need buffs, and I give my characters more credit than they deserve, but yeah, both Ryu and Karin are REALLY strong.

Now, how the fuck do I get the A-hahahaha title? I've done what people told me I needed to do, and nothing >_>

Do I also need to beat Hell Survival with her? Is it a checklist of objectives I need to complete?

We're in the very ice cold reality in which Ryu is F tier and Tokido a low tier hero

Yeah, Tokido plays Ryu. Nothing else needs to be said about this.

By the way, GOOD LORD his matches against LI Team last night. Holy shit, this dude is ridiculous. And they say Eita is the best player in Japan right now? He must be insanely good at this game, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone play this game in the level that Tokido was playing last night.

I was a fan of Eita's Gouki in vanilla SF IV, but he kinda disappeared for a while.

Raitaro

Game tanked!

This actually saddens me, even with the game's shortcomings and Capcom's arguable misguidedness in mind, and I am starting to fear for this series future. I also remain in doubt about how to feel about people that find it more important to send a negative signal to Capcom by criticising and not buying the game, than to swallow the game's faults and support it anyway in order to help safeguard this series' future (especially at 10 dollars).

Can we - by not buying the game and even convincing others not to, like many people on Youtube seem to be doing - actually convince Capcom's management that we do want SF to exist and thrive but that this current product falls short of our expectations, or will they always equate low sales and bad reviews to a lack of interest in the series? I'm honestly not sure but I fear it might be the latter (which, in part, is why I always tend to buy games in series that I care about at launch even when this might end up disappointing me later).

When's Alex?

Yeah, they really are making us wait to see him in action, aren't they?

Edit: apologies if the topic I bring up above has been discussed to death before but this thread has been moving so fast that I stopped keeping up with everything somewhere in OT2.

This actually saddens me, even with the game's shortcomings and Capcom's arguable misguidedness in mind, and I am starting to fear for this series future. I also remain in doubt about how to feel about people that find it more important to send a negative signal to Capcom by criticising and not buying the game, than to swallow the game's faults and support it anyway in order to help safeguard this series' future (especially at 10 dollars).

Can we - by not buying the game and even convincing others not to, like many people on Youtube seem to be doing - actually convince Capcom's management that we do want SF to exist and thrive but that this current product falls short of our expectations, or will they always equate low sales and bad reviews to a lack of interest in the series? I'm honestly not sure but I fear it might be the latter.

Yeah, they really are making us wait to see him in action, aren't they?

lol what?

The best way to ensure change is to be vocal about it on the correct channels. No need to promote or not promote the game, just tell Capcom what you want. Despite launching the game with basic (and non basic) shit, they seem to be pretty receptive - we are finally getting some ingame training that'll definitely help if done right. The only thing they need is that Story mode and a dedicated VS CPU mode.

Capcom knows that their game is barebones, but Sony and Capcom aren't gonna let this shit tank. The former wants their investment back in the form of longtail profits, and the latter just wants to survive.

SFV didn't light the world on fire, but saying it tanked is stretching it, considering it's probably sitting at a million world wide. Reaching two million by the end of March is what puzzles me, but it's better than the initial assumptions.

Alucrid

Banned
i made a new tier list

top tier: Ryu, Chun-li, Nash. M Bison. Cammy, Birdie, Ken, Necalli, Vega, R Mika, Rashid, Karin, Zangief, Laura, Dhalsim, FANG, Alex

bottom tier: icecold1983

Gbraga

My first match today is JWong. I need advice against Karin as Ryu.

Can't really tell you much, but Karin's dash is really fast, and so a lot of Karin players (myself included) love to dash in and hit a c.MK, and if it hits, cancel into Tenko for a full combo. If you see he's doing that a lot, parry after a dash in. Don't overuse it, though. First time you get parried, you immediately stop doing it.

Also, don't let him get away with unsafe shit. QCB K is unsafe, QCB P is unsafe, Tenko is unsafe, shoulder is safe, but it's a neutral situation, not exactly in Karin's favor.

st MP is your friend, so is st LK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom