• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

The patch and Alex depend on external factors, like Sony's certification. Sure, they shouldn't have much trouble with this, but they are releasing the _store_ and they gotta make double sure that money is exchanged without any problem. If they promised to release in March, but the store isn't ready in March, they just gotta release in April or later.

As such, they are in no position to plan for a "announcement date" and "release date" and can only hope things go as smoothly as possible.

On the other hand, making a trailer for a finished character is something that will take a fixed amount of time, so if they are making a trailer at all, they could easily drop it today.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Man I'm completely free to a blocked jump-in -> throw. It's just brain farts all over the place

Think it might be 500 or more. You get a different one at 300
You're right, I got that one much earlier. 500 would fit the time frame.

HardRojo

I played a friend's Ken yesterday, he's a longtime KoF player and recently started to play Street Fighter. We went 5 - 1 initially lol, he got me bad, then we went 3 - 2 in my favor and stopped because Lounges were a mess.
I need a lot of practice still.

The patch and Alex depend on external factors, like Sony's certification. Sure, they shouldn't have much trouble with this, but they are releasing the _store_ and they gotta make double sure that money is exchanged without any problem. If they promised to release in March, but the store isn't ready in March, they just gotta release in April or later.

As such, they are in no position to plan for a "announcement date" and "release date" and can only hope things go as smoothly as possible.

On the other hand, making a trailer for a finished character is something that will take a fixed amount of time, so if they are making a trailer at all, they could easily drop it today.

While this is all true, if there was this uncertainty then they shouldn't have given 'march' as a date, march is even coded into the game, as when you click the items they claim 'this content will be arriving in March' or whatever.

There's a big difference in posting a tentative release date for your title then going back on that and saying you couldn't make that date, and posting a road map for dlc, coding that date into your games menus, and then failing to deliver.

Capcom would have been aware of the constraints (having to pass the content through QA) before announcing this DLC schedule and logically they would have incorporated that into their plan. Either way, if they mess up, and this doesn't release in March, I think that's going to cause a lot of people to lose faith in the game, and Capcom.

There have been a lot of issues since launch, but people are holding on till the March content drop. If Capcom can't deliver then that's going to get the game a lot of bad press, and significantly reduce the chances of turning this around at a later date. The game has already bombed commercially, and poor treatment of the games on-going support will temper any chances of the game redeeming itself.

ElFly

While this is all true, if there was this uncertainty then they shouldn't have given 'march' as a date, march is even coded into the game, as when you click the items they claim 'this content will be arriving in March' or whatever.

There's a big difference in posting a tentative release date for your title then going back on that and saying you couldn't make that date, and posting a road map for dlc, coding that date into your games menus, and then failing to deliver.

This is just super standard optimism tho. The part of Capcom that is developing SFV is clearly super optimist.

Not saying that it will be delayed, but that assuming that it will be released in march just because they announced it, when it is 2/3 of the month in and we still haven't got a date is just poor reasoning.

The store is a bigger mess than just releasing characters; once we get the store, characters should come out smoothly and mostly on time.

You are also thinking weirdly. Just because a lot of people are anxious about this update, doesn't make it more probable that they will deliver it on time. They have had a lot of problems for a reason, and failure to plan is one of them.

This is just super standard optimism tho. The part of Capcom that is developing SFV is clearly super optimist.

Not saying that it will be delayed, but that assuming that it will be released in march just because they announced it, when it is 2/3 of the month in and we still haven't got a date is just poor reasoning.

The store is a bigger mess than just releasing characters; once we get the store, characters should come out smoothly and mostly on time.

You are also thinking weirdly. Just because a lot of people are anxious about this update, doesn't make it more probable that they will deliver it on time. They have had a lot of problems for a reason, and failure to plan is one of them.

I actually imagine the battle lounge enhancement are more of a problem than the store. The store was present and working in one of the betas (although, without real MT) but battle lounges thus far have been a mess all round, and the update proposes to increase them to 8 players. In order to do that, they need to not only provide the 8 player expansion, but fix all existing issues, many of which I doubt they anticipated when they shipped the game.

But I'm not actually expecting them to release this on time, to be honest... but I just want to stress how important that it is that they do. Without showing really solid ability to support this game, I think that's going to be it, for this games casual scene, and in the long run, Capcom saying good bye to any chance of SFV being a commercial success. Which immediately presents other, rather concerning questions. If this game isn't successful, there's no incentive to support it as an esport or otherwise, in the long-term. So this will either be the last SF title we see for a long time, or Capcom will need to plan something to replace it in an effort to capture the lost audience.

ElFly

I actually imagine the battle lounge enhancement are more of a problem than the store. The store was present and working in one of the betas (although, without real MT) but battle lounges thus far have been a mess all round, and the update proposes to increase them to 8 players. In order to do that, they need to not only provide the 8 player expansion, but fix all existing issues, many of which I doubt they anticipated when they shipped the game.

That's a good argument, but the store in the beta probably didn't pass through a stringent QA process tho. It may not be the final design either, as it was super simplistic.

I think that SFV is salvageable in the long run. The biggest boost should be cinematic story mode, and after that, there's always turning it into a F2P game, provided they can balance the fight money / store prices into something balanced and attractive.

IMHO the game can survive a delay of the shop into April.

Giving it a 60% of an Alex trailer later today, 50% on a firm release date for the patch/store/alex and a 40% for both. A trailer ready is more probable than the date, but they may want to delay the trailer to coincide with the date announcement.

That's a good argument, but the store in the beta probably didn't pass through a stringent QA process tho.

Yeah I'm not saying it's not likely to be a factor too, but the battle lounges are a big deal also.

Then again, a lot of the network features that made release day should not have passed QA either, so who's to say Capcom won't push out something that doesn't work again?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
They also seem to have some severe database problems they haven't even acknowledged so far. Fixing that probably wasn't part of the planned update. Some of that seems to correlate with the broken battle lounges, too.

They also seem to have some severe database problems they haven't even acknowledged so far. Fixing that probably wasn't part of the planned update. Some of that seems to correlate with the broken battle lounges, too.

Yeah suddenly after 4 weeks of being able to play together without issue, I can no longer play with my friends back home. It's a pain, and seems like a database issue rather than something on our networks. That's what I'm talking about though when I say fixing battle longues, as I think a lot of the issues are underpinned by some sort of database issue.

ElFly

The whole issue where you appear with a different profile loaded must be scary for the store.

The whole issue where you appear with a different profile loaded must be scary for the store.

It also has to work seemlessly across steam and PSN, while retaining absolute parity between the two.

Makes me feel that Capcom may have bitten off more than they can chew, when we start stacking all of these concerns.

ElFly

It also has to work seemlessly across steam and PSN, while retaining absolute parity between the two.

Makes me feel that Capcom may have bitten off more than they can chew, when we start stacking all of these concerns.

I don't think the crossplatform issue has bitten them in the ass yet, at least server side.

Crossplatform support is always a mess and I am not minimizing it, but it seems like the one thing in SFV where it works as intended. Even if "intended" means "cannot message from ps4 to pc by design".

I am ignoring here the alt-tab delays shenanigans and the like.

Funny thing is: your amount of Fight Money is the only thing that's displayed correctly if you have that (I do)

Yeah I wonder what happens if you buy something in that state. Your FM is spent but the other guy keeps the items?

It's crazy to think about.

Thanks for telling me that. I expected the other guy's FM would appear. Maybe the issue is not as severe as we think.

HardRojo

I'm not touching online play until they fix it, yesterday was a mess. Also, the friend I played with yesterday showed up with another friend's CFN when he entered my lounge lol. Shit's fucked up.

I don't think the crossplatform issue has bitten them in the ass yet, at least server side.

I am ignoring here the alt-tab delays shenanigans and the like.

Crossplatform support is always a mess but it seems like the one thing where it works as intended. Even if "intended" means "cannot message from ps4 to pc by design".

I just mean it requires a lot more work when you consider the 8 play battle lounges will need to be tested with all manner of cross platform interaction.

I'm not saying they can't get it working but it adds a lot to their workload, and will be a hurdle in getting these patches out on schedule.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I wonder what happens if you buy something in that state. Your FM is spent but the other guy keeps the items?

It's crazy to think about.
Since it still shows your real id on the loading screen and your real FM, I think it doesn't actually think you are the other account, just displaying the wrong information.
You also don't influence the LP of the fake-account, it stays the same forever.

I asked the person I "inherited" the id from and he says he doesn't have any problems.

Haven’t been playing for a few days looking to mentally level up and just watching for tech. Only problem, where’s all the Ken players?

Sheesh -_-

Julio and Chris T is all we got?

ElFly

Since it still shows your real id on the loading screen and your real FM, I think it doesn't actually think you are the other account, just displaying the wrong information.
You also don't influence the LP of the fake-account, it stays the same forever.

I asked the person I "inherited" the id from and he says he doesn't have any problems.

That's interesting.

Wonder if it just a simple cache issue. Still think it would be hell to handwave this problem with the store through QA.

Did you ever fight the other guy before?

f0rk

Anyone from europe wants to play a few lobbies?

CFN: Demoli

gg's, the f1 started and I got a bit distracted but you'd have bodied me anyway. Can't work out what I'm supposed to do on your jump thing, I'm too slow on the b.HK I guess

I might have to...-_-

Momochi seems like he dropped him.

I know Ken’s normals are bad, but was hoping more players would stick with him

I think you should just stick with the character you like. I wouldn't go with Chun just because she's a good character, she's nothing like Ken.

If you felt like you needed to switch you could always play Ryu, he's quite similar, but has better normals, an I think his parry has a lot of utility, allowing you to punish otherwise unpunishable normals.

Rashid is another option as he can cancel normals into rolls in the same way Ken does dashes, and has a similar run, but better normals. His standing medium punch is +3 on block and he has a 3 frame with standing lk.

Demoli

gg's, the f1 started and I got a bit distracted but you'd have bodied me anyway. Can't work out what I'm supposed to do on your jump thing, I'm too slow on the b.HK I guess

Backwards jump into jab usually works pretty well, and non-ex can beanti aired pretty easily with a few pokes and jabs too.

You had some good ground game

f0rk

If I'm new and struggling with some of the execution to play Chun on offense should I try a different character? I like the very good normals to play footsies with but I don't really know how to attack in the way people complain about and I find myself being very defensive.

Well I mean, it IS 3 frames. So it's the same as Chun waking up with a jab.

Except wakeup jab doesn't leave you at -8.

Plus, it doesn't matter if it's 3 frame startup for wakeup. Most attacks you are approached with will be meaty, so they will still beat whatever you press, including wakeup tatsu.

If you're going to commit to pressing something it might as well be DP, because at least that beats meaty options.

I think you should just stick with the character you like. I wouldn't go with Chun just because she's a good character, she's nothing like Ken.

If you felt like you needed to switch you could always play Ryu, he's quite similar, but has better normals, an I think his parry has a lot of utility, allowing you to punish otherwise unpunishable normals.

Rashid is another option as he can cancel normals into rolls in the same way Ken does dashes, and has a similar run, but better normals. His standing medium punch is +3 on block and he has a 3 frame with standing lk.
Thanks man, I’m gonna stick it out with Ken and alt. Ryu and Guile next month. I just played him since his first iteration so all the changes to his normals was really felt lol.

Except wakeup jab doesn't leave you at -8.

Plus, it doesn't matter if it's 3 frame startup for wakeup. Most attacks you are approached with will be meaty, so they will still beat whatever you press, including wakeup tatsu.

If you're going to commit to pressing something it might as well be DP, because at least that beats meaty options.

I didn't say it was a good idea. But I can kinda see the logic behind it.

I noticed that Kens don't really abuse his 3F tatsu to get out of flawed frametraps, like Nash's Cr.MP to St.MP, there is a 4F gap in which any 3F attack will beat it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom