• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

People really have no sense of humor.
They got put on the spot, they had nothing.
When it first came up, they said they did not have anything and people kept pushing so they did the joke.
If they did not bring a trailer they did not bring it, there is nothing for them to do.
It was not on the books, there was no planned segment for it.

The "people have no sense of humor" argument is dumb imo

I like funny things. Teasing a huge reveal and then giving nothing is not funny. He should have just been honest and straight up said there's nothing to show.

Hex

Banned
Combofiend should resign and apologize for the FGC, SFV was a mistake, or something.

GTFO.
SFV is the best fighting game in many many years, this is not hyperbole this is fact accepted by most if not all of the top players.

No idea—I'm not one for backseat designer talk when it comes to this kind of minutiae—but are you seriously arguing that R. Mika's V Skill is not the most useless one in the game? How is it useful?

Personally, I see a few uses for her V Skill. I think it's really great for mindgames, and I think it's really great for anything off of stuns. That in and of itself makes it super situational, but that's not the worst thing considering the latter can get you a confirmed kill instead of having to guess if the guy is going to die ala Nando's set last night.

As for making the animation any shorter, I don't know how I'd feel about that considering how much of a boost she gets off of just a few seconds and her command grab damage in the first place.

But really, my biggest issue is people calling anything in the game useless in the first few months. Let that tech drop, let people learn the game, learn the matchups, and figure out things before just dropping character moves.

Mediking

Necalli def has the best V-Trigger.

If I wanted to improve Mika's V-skill ... without changing it into something different, just make it faster and make the microphone have a better hitbox. Maybe remove the microphone hit entirely on the other hand (make it optional) so you can do it once you dizzy a character just before a grab, without danger of hitting them with the microphone.

On the other hand, maybe in an earlier design Mika's V-skill was the rope grab.

The IDEA of her V-trigger fits her... but it needs to go and be replaced by something actually worthy to use.

Isn't her V-Trigger just her hyping herself up and throwing the microphone angrily to fill up her V guage? Lol it fits her but it doesn't really help...

Hex

Banned
The "people have no sense of humor" argument is dumb imo

I like funny things. Teasing a huge reveal and then giving nothing is not funny. He should have just been honest and straight up said there's nothing to show.

They didn't tease it, they were forced into a spot.
People act like it came up even ONCE during the entire weekend.
Show me ONE time that Capcom or any rep of them mentioned the update or Alex having any chance of appearing at the event. You can't.
They did not tease anything.

BiggNife

They didn't tease it, they were forced into a spot.
People act like it came up even ONCE during the entire weekend.
Show me ONE time that Capcom or any rep of them mentioned the update or Alex having any chance of appearing at the event. You can't.
They did not tease anything.

I'm saying the decision they made on the spot to tease an Alex reveal ("everyone sit down, dim the lights!") was dumb

They were not "forced into a spot." Haunts could have just admitted they had nothing. To say they didn't have a choice but to make a shitty joke isn't true.

Necalli def has the best V-Trigger.

If I wanted to improve Mika's V-skill ... without changing it into something different, just make it faster and make the microphone have a better hitbox. Maybe remove the microphone hit entirely on the other hand (make it optional) so you can do it once you dizzy a character just before a grab, without danger of hitting them with the microphone.

On the other hand, maybe in an earlier design Mika's V-skill was the rope grab.

I wouldn't say Necalli has the best V-Trigger. Bison & Gief are both excellent V-Triggers. Same for Sim. Necalli's V-Trigger just makes Necalli fully usable, versus the steaming pile of meh he normally is.

mbpm1

At the same time, I DO want them to make Karin's useless as fuck Rassenha command throw to work on Crouching opponents...honestly, there's no reason right now for this move to be in the game.

I saw that move work once by Mago against Kazunoko. The fact that it hit at all was the most amazing part of the tournament imo.

And bc of it Capcom will probably do nothing about it.

I was kidding with that post and yeah... I HAVE A JOB.

I LIKE MAKING MONEY.

Hmm, I can't really tell if you're being serious now either lol

Mediking

Ayyy homie it's hard to tell with your posts, to be honest.

I was pretty much half joking and half being serious with my earlier ranting.

Mostly joking.

But I really do have the Collector's Edition, Season Pass and Battle Costume Cammy.

Love the game.

Hate Survival. Hate the lack of the store. Hate how people rage quit with ease.

That's REAL talk.

FluxWaveZ

Personally, I see a few uses for her V Skill. I think it's really great for mindgames, and I think it's really great for anything off of stuns. That in and of itself makes it super situational, but that's not the worst thing considering the latter can get you a confirmed kill instead of having to guess if the guy is going to die ala Nando's set last night.

As for making the animation any shorter, I don't know how I'd feel about that considering how much of a boost she gets off of just a few seconds and her command grab damage in the first place.

But really, my biggest issue is people calling anything in the game useless in the first few months. Let that tech drop, let people learn the game, learn the matchups, and figure out things before just dropping character moves.

The fact that Mika's V Skill has insane startup and insane recovery makes the point of mindgames with it entirely moot and extremely risky. When an opponent gets stunned, Mika won't always be right next to them, so the mic won't usually be the go-to tool for that situation.

Csr

There are a ton of things that were never promised for the March update that people assumed would be there (like their Rage Quit solution, which Capcom said was further down the line than their current weekly reset tracking solution they currently have), as well as features that were promised for the March update that got pushed out. We did get a feature we weren't expecting in the March update (FT3 salty runback in ranked).

They said the Patch & Alex would be released simultaneously in March. It would be weird to have a trailer for a piece of DLC and no date for as to when you could actually purchase said content. In all likelihood, the patch was probably originally scheduled to go live last week before the first CPT Premiere, but they needed more time, so they pushed the trailer and its date for two weeks later, and pulled the trailer from the blog post release so as to have something to show on Sunday at the end of NCR.

I don't think they will open the store with the bug that makes you log in as another players account or that they will completely ignore the fact that battle lounges have tons of problems and i don't remember these problems being mentioned so i think it is possible they have not announced all the changes. Then again no one thought the game would launch in this state so who knows.

I am not sure what exactly your point is in the second paragraph but it wouldn't be weird to say something about the date and have an alex trailer later. You say the opposite would be weird and even if it is i don't see the relevance to the discussion. I only said that they would say something about the date if they were certain when the patch would be ready.

Mizerman

I was pretty much half joking and half being serious with my earlier ranting.

Mostly joking.

But I really do have the Collector's Edition, Season Pass and Battle Costume Cammy.

Love the game.

Hate Survival. Hate the lack of the store. Hate how people rage quit with ease.

That's REAL talk.

Preaching to the choir.

qcf x2

What make's it useless?

Burden of proof... what makes it not useless? And don't say it's a taunt, because she and every other character has a taunt. How many non-taunt V Skills did you see from Mika players at Final Round?

Since it's too hard to answer the question besides saying EVERYTHING and remembering to not trap V Skills in a bubble (because they relate to the character and how they are used rather than trumped up against each other), I'll ask this - how would you make it better?

Either raise the damage to the midway point between where it was in the 2nd to last beta and where it is now, or make it chip. The former probably makes more sense, because as hype as the chip scenario would be, it could make an already cheesy corner trap character more dangerous in her area of strength. Edit: I would also make the damage buff not apply to her WAP to encourage more creativity from the Irish reset.

She has the best Vtrigger in the game, so by that utility alone makes it worth doing.

I agree she has the best, with Necalli and Cammy in that S-tier.

I'm surprised people are this worked up by a troll. I was pissed for all of five minutes. What a dick move lol.
what type of logic is this?
Keeping my expectations low. Spiral DDT isn't much of a loss, but stomp and slash elbow absolutely are. One travels long horizontal distances farther and faster than Makoto while the other one destroyed firealls from full screen, trades midair and could even cross up. This ain't some green hand situation.
Low tier means fuck all in this game, so whether he's low or high, who cares?
We don't know that yet. To be fair I think you are probably right considering how far Sonicfox got. I just won't put SFV on that top tier balance pedestal with fighters that have absolutely insane low tier characters and have been tested by time. We'll see if FANG, Zagief, Rashid and other possible lower tier characters are that good six months from now.
Because moves removed from another game are any indication at all how he'll perform in this one.
It's perfectly reasonable to remain a skeptic considering how much they changed about him. Honestly, losing stomp, st.mk and slash elbow is far worse than losing power bomb. That said, I could be wrong and he could turn out amazing. I'm just making my judgement based on how many wins those moves brought me in 3S. Don't take me too seriously, though. I am just a 3S scrub. You might call me a mediocre Alex at best.

The fact that Mika's V Skill has insane startup and insane recovery makes the point of mindgames with it entirely moot and extremely risky. When an opponent gets stunned, Mika won't always be right next to them, so the mic won't usually be the go-to tool for that situation.

Considering the damage she gets off of throws, it needs to have drawbacks, otherwise it becomes a superarmor buffing move that makes her unstoppable.

And you are right - people aren't always going to be right next to Mika during stuns, but she needs to get them in the corner in the first place. That's where she works best, and her existing toolset accommodates.

What I want to see more of is V-Skill usage in general. Most players have tapped into maybe 1/3 of the cast on the proper or most optimal ways of using them.

Burden of proof... what makes it not useless? And don't say it's a taunt, because she and every other character has a taunt. How many non-taunt V Skills did you see from Mika players at Final Round?

Either raise the damage to the midway point between where it was in the 2nd to last beta and where it is now, or make it chip. The former probably makes more sense, because as hype as the chip scenario would be, it could make an already cheesy corner trap character more dangerous in her area of strength. Edit: I would also make the damage buff not apply to her WAP to encourage more creativity from the Irish reset.

I agree she has the best, with Necalli and Cammy in that S-tier.

It's not a burden of proof if I asked him to clarify the first time, and he did not.

Secondly, the problem I have with raising damage is I don't want her to OHKO people off of like two setups. I'd have to see how that shit works with her current toolset and modifications, though.

People really have no sense of humor.
They got put on the spot, they had nothing.
When it first came up, they said they did not have anything and people kept pushing so they did the joke.
If they did not bring a trailer they did not bring it, there is nothing for them to do.
It was not on the books, there was no planned segment for it.

Yeah I wasn't really bugged by it though. I just think it's funny with all the wonky stuff going on with the game, they still thought it was a good idea to mess with people. If I'm them, if nothing's planned, I'm keeping quiet. But I don't work for Capcom so IDK lol.

FluxWaveZ

Considering the damage she gets off of throws, it needs to have drawbacks, otherwise it becomes a superarmor buffing move that makes her unstoppable.

And you are right - people aren't always going to be right next to Mika during stuns, but she needs to get them in the corner in the first place. That's where she works best, and her existing toolset accommodates.

What I want to see more of is V-Skill usage in general. Most players have tapped into maybe 1/3 of the cast on the proper or most optimal ways of using them.

Why are you talking as if her V Skill gives a notable amount of dmg buff to Mika's throws? It doesn't do that anymore since the Beta. The damage buff now is miniscule for how long any Mika will be able to hold the V Skill, which is basically a single press worth. It's not even a drawback in that regard anymore because the damage boost is barely noticeable, but it's ALSO still only in effect if you never get hit or whiff a throw. It's pathetic.

You won't see Mikas EVER use V Skill more because of this. It's simply not worth it, and any Mika player will tell you that.

Quesa

The "I was just kidding guys" option select *kisses fingertips*

And f'real if Mika's V-Skill did the same thing as Alex's (guarantee counterhit) and nothing else it would be amazing

Skilletor

It's perfectly reasonable to remain a skeptic considering how much they changed about him. Honestly, losing stomp, st.mk and slash elbow is far worse than losing power bomb. That said, I could be wrong and he could turn out amazing. I'm just making my judgement based on how many wins those moves brought me in 3S. Don't take me too seriously, though. I am just a 3S scrub. You might call me a mediocre Alex at best.

I don't see how you could possibly think this without seeing his movement, his normals, how his specials work in the game, their properties, without seeing his dash speed, his jump.

I just really don't understand how anybody could play SF5, see how they've changed all of the characters, and think that because they're different from a past iteration, they'll be bad in this game.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, it's just really strange (in my own opinion) to jump to a conclusion like that with no data of how what remains is implemented and how it works.

LegendX48

created a battle lounge and a rookie Karin player entered... and then I got bodied like there was no tomorrow. My "Super Bronze" rank is a lie!

You can't play keep away with Laura against him IMO. You gotta score a knockdown then go in on him, unless he has a full meter ready.. then you just cry.

I cry everytime anyway ;_;

Mediking

Have we discussed who should be nerfed?

tumblr_nkarrfc0up1qj5jqso2_500.gif

B5WEJ6.gif

And, no... I really don't think Nash should be nerfed... but he definitely IS top tier.

Why are you talking as if her V Skill gives a notable amount of dmg buff to Mika's throws? It doesn't do that anymore since the Beta. The damage buff now is miniscule for how long any Mika will be able to hold the V Skill, which is basically a single press worth. It's not even a drawback in that regard anymore because the damage boost is barely noticeable, but it's ALSO still only in effect if you never get hit or whiff a throw. It's pathetic.

You won't see Mikas EVER use V Skill more because of this. It's simply not worth it, and any Mika player will tell you that.

How much was it before? I do remember it being stronger, but someone had a chart with the numbers a while ago, and I remember it being around 25 percent currently. Or I could be wrong.

Sheroking

The IDEA of her V-trigger fits her... but it needs to go and be replaced by something actually worthy to use.

Isn't her V-Trigger just her hyping herself up and throwing the microphone angrily to fill up her V guage? Lol it fits her but it doesn't really help...

Her V-skill is one-hit of armor and a weaksauce projectile that I think was meant to work as a set-up tool or something, but is trash. The gimmick is that if she's left alone to cut her promo, she gets damage buffs like Balrog's TAP in SF4. Problem is it has so much recovery that you can pretty much just jump in for free and render the whole enterprise useless.

I don't think every character needs a good V-skill frankly.

Durden77

Nash is fine. He's really good but he's fine. Just because a character wins a major does not mean they need adjusting.

Infiltration needs adjusting.

qcf x2

Secondly, the problem I have with raising damage is I don't want her to OHKO people off of like two setups. I'd have to see how that shit works with her current toolset and modifications, though.

Isn't that where we are now though? Not that raising the damage makes things better in that aspect. She's in an odd boat because even if her v-skill is bad, she's the character who at this time looks most deserving of a nerf IMO. And I've been saying this for weeks as somebody who started out maining her. Actually, nerf is the wrong word. She could use some adjustments... like no mid screen whips.

How much was it before? I do remember it being stronger, but someone had a chart with the numbers a while ago, and I remember it being around 25 percent currently. Or I could be wrong.

It gives next to nothing now. Lowest charge might give you like a jab's worth of damage or something? I'm not home so I can't check. If you charge it all the way up it's still insane, but that will never ever happen in a competitive scenario.

I hope they really improved or removed the jumping down fierce on Alex.

Would always forget about it and get that weird dive and then get rekt.

Not that I didn't get rekt anyway.
It's hitbox was kind of bad, but what's not to like? It knocks jumping opponents to the other side of the stage with hard knockdown to boot IIRC. It's pretty useful even if you can't follow it up with a combo.
I don't see how you could possibly think this without seeing his movement, his normals, how his specials work in the game, their properties, without seeing his dash speed, his jump.

I just really don't understand how anybody could play SF5, see how they've changed all of the characters, and think that because they're different from a past iteration, they'll be bad in this game.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course, it's just really strange (in my own opinion) to jump to a conclusion like that with no data of how what remains is implemented and how it works.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just a pessimist and I don't like that they changed so much about the way he played. Most SFV returnees got changed for the better, but I can't think of anyone that got so much removed as he did.

Ferrio

Banned
Her V-skill is one-hit of armor and a weaksauce projectile that I think was meant to work as a set-up tool or something, but is trash. The gimmick is that if she's left alone to cut her promo, she gets damage buffs like Balrog's TAP in SF4. Problem is it has so much recovery that you can pretty much just jump in for free and render the whole enterprise useless.

I don't think every character needs a good V-skill frankly.

Maybe make the recovery of it faster if she actually absorbs a hit?

Csr

We don't know that yet. To be fair I think you are probably right considering how far Sonicfox got. I just won't put SFV on that top tier balance pedestal with fighters that have absolutely insane low tier characters and have been tested by time. We'll see if FANG, Zagief, Rashid and other possible lower tier characters are that good six months from now.

I think Sonicfox going far in the tournament doesn't say anything about the character balance other than the fact that people don't know how to deal with him yet.
He wasn't in any beta, he is one of the least used characters, he is a completely new character to street fighter and he has a peculiar playstyle.

Quesa

speaking of TAP, if it worked that way -- if she just did the "hey!" and you could dash out of it, then hold down the buttons and continue getting more damage -- that might not be too bad. Would remove two really good buttons of hers, though.

ugh I was wanting to get the OP updated and some modding done today but my GPU just keeps turning off. It did this a while ago and stopped for like months but it's started doing it again after the latest update. Thanks @Nvidia

Sheroking

speaking of TAP, if it worked that way -- if she just did the "hey!" and you could dash out of it, then hold down the buttons and continue getting more damage -- that might not be too bad. Would remove two really good buttons of hers, though.

The problem with that is the buff works on her next grab, where as Balrog needs a hit he can't combo into. A fully charged Mika grab with V-skill actually kills most of the cast from full health.

It's a silly little gimmick that they never intended to actually matter in real play and that's okay IMO.

Shito

Nash is fine. He's really good but he's fine. Just because a character wins a major does not mean they need adjusting.

Infiltration needs adjusting.
Yeah, if anything Final Round's result told more about Infiltration than Nash.
I feel like the majority of the characters are viable and really good at the moment, mainly because Capcom went a bit wild with them and they all have some awesome and hugely damaging tools on their own. I really hope Capcom will not "meh" the game down, I don't mind getting owned during a round if I know I can do just about the same thing on the next one. :)

FluxWaveZ

Trying it now. So her hcb+LP is 160 damage. One V Skill press (which is the time any Mika will ever have during an actual match to do it) makes that 200. So yeah, the most current buff is a 25% boost. I guess seen in isolation, the change in damage isn't that bad, but it's still ridiculously small for what the V Skill entails because of everything said before.

I barely saw any Mikas ever use it during last weekend's tournament for a reason, and I'm deathly afraid of ever using it myself.

LegendX48

posting again for new page:

how do you handle Dhalsim with Laura? He anti-airs all my jump ins with ease and I can't get near him all that well.

posting again for new page:

how do you handle Dhalsim with Laura? He anti-airs all my jump ins with ease and I can't get near him all that well.

It's a match up i don't fully understand myself. Throwing out a fireball and walking behind it (while looking for the low forward HP to block/counter poke) is the most success I've had with getting in. Jumping on Sim is a death wish with all his AA tools.

so... how in the world do you beat Dhalsim with Laura?

edit: anyone?

I still haven't figured this out completely. But i'll give you what i know.

Does dhalsim slide a lot? Check him with s.LK (s.LK-> lp.Bolt Charge, if you have good buffer inputs). I'm not sure if this works with the slide that crush counters, most dhalsims do the quick slide.

Does he like to teleport behind you? Check him with s.MP

Do not, c.mk -> lp.bolt charge all day, the advantage seems to be his every time. c.mk -> forward vskill is a better option (even if he jabs for small damage you still get in, which is the point of this match).

Dhalsims like to crouch a lot, catch him with the overhead when you can (i like to use s.LP -> c.MP -> vskill overhead).

If you crossup jump after a knock down, chances are he will a.) teleport b.) slide right under you. I'm still working this out :( For now, don't try to do any crossups...

----

I read your newer post, basically you don't just jump in on sim (you do but make sure it's minimal, no more than 1-2 times per round). To get in you block and slowly go forward, you will inevitably eat damage. As one other poster stated, don't be afraid to use your ex.bolt charge to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom