• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

I rarely have lag in this game at all. maybe 1 per 10-15 matches. That sucks though =/

There are typically a lot of newer players in the lower ranks who don't understand that you should not play fighting games via Wi-Fi. This was true in SF4 as well. Far more bad connections with lower ranked players.

SFV netcode is really good at it's best, but there's some issues to iron out to ensure matchmaking only gives you good connections.

Edgeward

Hm... I see. Sounds better than whiffing a throw in an attempt to tech, anyways.

The reason I'm so scared of being thrown is because I will get annihilated once I am knocked down and the opponent is on me. It's a terrifying position to be in, and I just don't know how to block properly.

In a game like P4A, people wouldn't block 'cause everyone just had crazy and effective options like wake-up DPs, wake-up supers, etc. Now I'm forced to actually block properly and I don't even have a proper reversal as Mika, so it's even scarier. It's why I need to look into how people actually defend in this game, 'cause my shit defense is the reason why I'm likely to lose against anyone who is just constantly throwing attacks.

A lot of it comes to experience and studying characters knowing what is safe and unsafe, what are true blockstrings and which have obvious gaps you can stick an attack out. And another part is player tendencies, a lot of online players have pet plays they like to use for pressure and it's important to recognize what they are so you can anticipate the tech. It's not advisable to react to tech, it's nigh impossible.

And as Mika, I'm of the firm belief you should approach it like Gief, you can let them take a few throws because all you need is one opportunity to knock them down, get your offense going and lock them into the corner. So long as you won't die from one hit/reversal your offensive game won't suffer. And a number of throws create bad positioning for the thrower, so as long as you aren't in the corner, quick getups will not allow them to dash up and get the meaty.

Zackat

The thing is i think I have really good connection, and I'm wired but matches keep becoming teleport fests where i grab someone and right in the middle of the grab animation i'm suddenly crush countered.

yeah when it is rolling back it is pretty bad. Frustrating as hell. But when it works it is really great stuff. Do you live in the US or a region with a lot of people playing? They might be having to matchmake you with people far away maybe? idk.

yeah when it is rolling back it is pretty bad. Frustrating as hell. But when it works it is really great stuff. Do you live in the US or a region with a lot of people playing? They might be having to matchmake you with people far away maybe? idk.

I live in Texas...I was fighting people from england and a region whos flag i didnt recognize...so that might've been it but i'm pretty sure i fought someone from the us too

There are typically a lot of newer players in the lower ranks who don't understand that you should not play fighting games via Wi-Fi. This was true in SF4 as well. Far more bad connections with lower ranked players.

SFV netcode is really good at it's best, but there's some issues to iron out to ensure matchmaking only gives you good connections.

I'll never understand playing an online game wireless, as it is today. If you're playing on a stationary unit like a desktop or console, wire it up. They have super long Ethernet cables that reach from the modem in mom's room on the 2nd floor, to the basement.

I think the hyperbole finally rang true, only EVO contestents are playing now... Lol.
Or at least its starting to feel like it, I'm getting matched up with only high rankers tonight.
TS Sabin himself just kicked my ass.

kirblar

Then there has to be some tech I'm missing. Best AA in the game, a damn good grab, + longest normals vs shortest, and better long range game to boot.
It has to do mostly with Necalli's frametrappy design and Necalli being super scary up close. Birdie's normals are designed to push the opponent out, but they have longer than normal recovery and Necalli's very good at whiff punishing. If Birdie can keep the game midrange, Necalli won't win, but if Necalli gets in, Birdie's in trouble. (This is true for a lot of Birdie's matchups.)

It has to do mostly with Necalli's frametrappy design and Necalli being super scary up close. Birdie's normals are designed to push the opponent out, but they have longer than normal recovery and Necalli's very good at whiff punishing. If Birdie can keep the game midrange, Necalli won't win, but if Necalli gets in, Birdie's in trouble. (This is true for a lot of Birdie's matchups.)

Yeah, but he's far from defensless at that range. He can insert an ex grab while taking a blockstring and he has armor moves to parry with. I feel like most of the time I'm better off zoning him like zangief.

I'm still playing so nah. Kappa Feelsbadman

Relax, kingsy, I'm mostly just bragging I played the best player in the world. Didn't embarrass myself to bad either, made him eat my bnb once lol.

LegendX48

I don't really know where to post this as it applies to more than just this game but...

why do these games never, ever, ever display your own personal connection info/quality? You can see every other player's connection quality as displayed by the x out of 5 bars icon usually next to their names and such, but why not our own? This boggles my mind as is actually kind of frustrating.

I don't really know where to post this as it applies to more than just this game but...

why do these games never, ever, ever display your own personal connection info/quality? You can see every other player's connection quality as displayed by the x out of 5 bars icon usually next to their names and such, but why not our own? This boggles my mind as is actually kind of frustrating.

I always figured the game reads you as a baseline, and everyone else's connection is relative to yours.

Vex_

Banned

I always figured the game reads you as a baseline, and everyone else's connection is relative to yours.

This. How could you see your own connection? How would that be displayed even? What I mean is: how could you display a connection to yourself? Wouldn't it always be 5 bars?

I could see if we were playing on dedicated servers in comparison to the p2p servers we are on now. We would have to connect to a server and then to the player. Not the case now.

"I always figured the game reads you as a baseline, and everyone else's connection is relative to yours."

Exactly. They don't show your own connection because your connection to yourself is going to be perfect.

This. How could you see your own connection? How would that be displayed even? What I mean is: how could you display a connection to yourself? Wouldn't it always be 5 bars?

I could see if we were playing on dedicated servers in comparison to the p2p servers we are on now. We would have to connect to a server and then to the player. Not the case now.

Actually, didn't persona 4 arena read your connection? Like, no question on SFV, but I swear Arena had bars for you online(not Ultimax).
Edit: Okay. In P4A, in lobby, your connection would be displayed in relation to the host.

LegendX48

I was thinking just the same way it displays other peoples connnections, x out of 5 bars o_O

It'd be nice to know if your connection suddenly got throttled out of the blue and an icon on screen displayed that your connection was being slowed down or, no longer 5/5 but instead 1/5. Though I don't know if that'd be possible to do.

"I always figured the game reads you as a baseline, and everyone else's connection is relative to yours."

Exactly. They don't show your own connection because your connection to yourself is going to be perfect.

not always perfect though. Even with powerline ethernet, my connection strength fluctuates at random and it'd be nice to know how strong/weak it is moment to moment. It's hard to determine if the lag is on the other person's end or my own :\

"I was thinking just the same way it displays other peoples connnections, x out of 5 bars o_O

It'd be nice to know if your connection suddenly got throttled out of the blue and an icon on screen displayed that your connection was being slowed down or, no longer 5/5 but instead 1/5. Though I don't know if that'd be possible to do."

They don't know whether your connection is throttled or not. All they can tell you is how good your connection is to the person you're connected to, which is what the opponent's connection quality bar is for. In a way, the connection bar is also *your* connection bar.

"not always perfect though. Even with powerline ethernet, my connection strength fluctuates at random and it'd be nice to know how strong/weak it is moment to moment. It's hard to determine if the lag is on the other person's end or my own :\"

They can't tell you that. Even if they had some servers out in the wild for you to ping, it'd only tell you how good your connection is to those servers and not to other players.

You don't see the "other player's connection quality". What you see is the connection quality between you and that player, which is a product of the quality of your connection to your ISP, the quality of their connection to their ISP, and the quality of the connection between your respective ISPs going through any number of intermediates.

You could display some quality measure of your own connection by, for example, having the game ping Capcom's servers, but that is liable to be misleading. For example, being far from the nearest server, or having a poor quality route to said server, would result in your having a permanent "low quality" connection" even though your connections to your peers could be flawless. The best option would probably be to ping your ISP regularly, assuming that the game could reliably infer the IPs (via traceroute perhaps), that pings are not blocked, and that your ISP wouldn't mind having people constantly pinging their servers. It's not simple to accomplish in a reliable manner, and only gives you an incomplete picture at best.

Sheroking

How salty is this dude?

giphy.gif

I mean, I cop to the panic super. In my defense, the dude was buttons, buttons, buttons so I was afraid to go for a throw. Can't jump at Birdie, couldn't afford a single trade. So YOLO time.

Edzi

I seriously can't understand how people defend Mika's irish whip working from anywhere on the screen. Mika is TERRIFYING in the corner, and with the irish whip wall bounce all she needs is a single hit from anywhere with her pretty decent standing MP and you're done. Guessing games forever.

You know there's a problem when most people don't even use grabs with your grappler character.

GorillaJu

Mike's pop off

https://www.livecap.tv/t/capcomfighters/uHfcIYslpcm

and apparently there was another popoff after that one.

Is it just me or is Miek Russ legitimately mad? He loves to troll for funsies but I've never actually seen him pop off like that before, he always does it in a way where it's obvious he's just kidding.

One of those things where he's playing it up because it's what people love seeing but at the same time just letting himself go wild.

How salty is this dude?

giphy.gif

I mean, I cop to the panic super. In my defense, the dude was buttons, buttons, buttons so I was afraid to go for a throw. Can't jump at Birdie, couldn't afford a single trade. So YOLO time.
He deserved that. He had a massive and obvious window of opportunity to win but he choked.

I seriously can't understand how people defend Mika's irish whip working from anywhere on the screen. Mika is TERRIFYING in the corner, and with the irish whip wall bounce all she needs is a single hit from anywhere with her pretty decent standing MP and you're done. Guessing games forever.

You know there's a problem when most people don't even use grabs with your grappler character.

Bah, if anything...Mika needs a buff!

Edzi

I finally made it to Gold League. Took out a Super Gold Dhalsim to get those last few points and man does it feel satisfying. I set Gold as my goal early on to prove to myself I could get somewhat decent, so now that I'm there I think I'll take a break from ranked and focus on lounges/casual to try and improve my game further without the added stress of points.

Feels good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom