• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Just read Tokido told Sonic Fox they ran a Topanga stream on how to beat FANG prior to FR.

This is something the US top players should do. Get top players in a room, stream going over how to fight vs a character so they improve and the players who watch improve too so they have a stronger practice field at locals/potentially online.

Trey

Just read Tokido told Sonic Fox they ran a Topanga stream on how to beat FANG prior to FR.

This is something the US top players should do. Get top players in a room, stream going over how to fight vs a character so they improve and the players who watch improve too so they have a stronger practice field at locals/potentially online.

I think SFV is the game that really bring this sort of thing out of the community. Streaming becoming as huge as it, as well as more money being at stake, has really changed things.

Mr. X

I think SFV is the game that really bring this sort of thing out of the community. Streaming becoming as huge as it, as well as more money being at stake, has really changed things.
Maybe. Rn, US FGC twitter is still a bunch of cliques and mad when people share tech with Japan players.

so some characters are broken as fug, right? there's almost no time to react before they can keep pummeling you.

Some characters have a move or two that's particularly good (like Necalli's V-Skill), some characters have a lot of good stuff that makes them scary to fight against (like Chun-Li) and some characters have purposefully ambiguous moves or set-ups (like FANG, R-mika when she's got you in the corner) but there is nothing in the game that's clearly broken and no characters that's particularly overpowered.

This game is actually surprisingly balanced, all thing considered.
Any specific examples?
Rashid can be a bit gimmicky at times because his HK projectile gives you a little boost if you V-skill right after and neutral jump. Moves you forward in the air when you come into contact with so that whatever move you do in will cross-up rather hit regularly. It's difficult to fight against right now but it'll get better as more people get used to it.

what about Bison? he seems to have a very quick recovery and a safe distance when he attacks.

i was also fighting an R. Mika who just kept attacking me, it wouldn't even let me react at all. it feels different than SF4

what about Bison? he seems to have a very quick recovery and a safe distance when he attacks.
For how good Bison is in offense, he makes up for it with absolute shit defense. Bison is scary to fight because his dash has invulnerability for most of it and his Heavy Moves are quite safe.

You need to stop pressing buttons when Bison is hitting you else he usually will get a counter and hit you. Try to use your V-reversal more. Other things you'll get better at with practice.

EDIT: and R.Mika excels when she's got you in the corner. She can hit you, she can command grab you, regular throw you, neutral jump to bait out a response from you or even just do nothing and react if you do something. You need to try your best to stay away from the corner when you're fighting her or try your best to get out when you're there.

The game is definitely a lot different from SF4 and will take time for you to adjust.

Sheroking

So are people finally at the point of realizing that Chun's really good but not broken?

She has the best buttons in the game, the best v-trigger, pretty much the only real (non-ex) divekick w/ air legs, mid-tier health and stun totals, an overhead, a projectile, some of the easiest and best frame-traps and set-ups, damage, is the only character who can link st.mp from cr.lp without counter-hit, the best walk-speed, the best dash speed. She has anti-airs and an ex-reversal that is better than the one she had in the last game. Her CA is really good, but you won't see it that much because she has the best EX moves in the entire game.

I have yet to see a tier list put forward by a real player, seriously, from any region, that didn't have her at #1.

Busted. Ass. Character.

EDIT: Important to note, of all this talk of other characters being broken - literally everyone else except maybe FANG seems either "very viable" or "really strong". No other character is as OP IMO. It's a well balanced game, except they gave one character EVERYTHING.

Garcian

She has the best buttons in the game, the best v-trigger, pretty much the only real divekick w/ air legs, mid-tier health and stun totals, an overhead, a projectile, some of the easiest and best frame-traps and set-ups, damage, is the only character who can link st.mp from cr.lp without counter-hit, the best walk-speed, the best dash speed. She has anti-airs and an ex-reversal that is better than the one she had in the last game.

I have yet to see a tier list put forward by a real player, seriously, from any region, that didn't have her at #1.

Busted. Ass. Character..

This just reaffirms how bad I am at the game, given how much I lose with Chun :/

Sheroking

It's been six weeks. What the hell. My tier list.

March_2016_SF5_Tier_List.png

This just reaffirms how bad I am at the game, given how much I lose with Chun :/

Just because she's really good, doesn't mean she is really easy.

That is an important distinction to make.

Mr. X

Chun isn't easy but she's my main because she's the best.

If you're still getting blown up by iaLL, you need to hit the lab tho. No one has that spacing perfect, you can beat it.

Watch Go1 at FR, highest placing Chun at the event. Nuki might be the best Chun, Alioune is another Chun people say to watch.

While Chun is good, you have to be absolutely perfect with her shit and have that execution down. She has such great tools, but none of that shit matters because players aren't robots and this game makes people crack far easier because of the high damage.

You aren't bad at the game. She just takes a lot of time and effort to get down.

kirblar

Chun is very good, but her damage conversion ratio is low relative to other characters in the game. She has to get to get a noticeably higher amount of hits in than other characters to finish a round. This is why her Super damage is so low.

It's possible she needs a shavedown, but people need to show that in results, not just in theorycrafting.

KingBroly

Banned
Chun is very good, but her damage conversion ratio is low relative to other characters in the game. She has to get to get a noticeably higher amount of hits in than other characters to finish a round. This is why her Super damage is so low.

It's possible she needs a shavedown, but people need to show that in results, not just in theorycrafting.

The thing about Chun is that she doesn't need everything to go her way to win a match, whereas some characters basically need everything. Chun is very difficult to deal with, especially with players who know how to get around her flaws. Some characters, like Cammy for example, can't get around their flaws.

Garcian

Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

Half of my problem is the panic that sets in during a match - my combos and so on are decent in training mode, but when it's a match and it counts it all goes south.

Vex_

Banned

I'm thinking no one likes to play her. So I don't see this happening anytime soon. Just like no one likes to play Dhalsim either.

How many people even played Dhalsim at FR? 2? 3? I know Arturo is one.

Mr. X

She plays for counterhits and mistakes.

I'm thinking no one likes to play her. So I don't see this happening anytime soon. Just like no one likes to play Dhalsim either.

Arturo, Fchamp, that lady who got a 8 second stun on a Bison player, and there must be a few more.

Chun-Li is a LOT more popular than Dhalsim however.

I don't think that many players care about character enjoyment when money is on the line. Sanford MAKE THE MONEY WORK FOR ME Kelly used to preach that, and other players follow suit playing top tier instead of who they actually like or enjoy playing in SF4, so I'd imagine they'd try the same here.

kirblar

The thing about Chun is that she doesn't need everything to go her way to win a match, whereas some characters basically need everything. Chun is very difficult to deal with, especially with players who know how to get around her flaws. Some characters, like Cammy for example, can't get around their flaws.
....huh?

Chun absolutely does need to be on point with anti-airs and such. She has lower HP and damage output, and doesn't have the comeback potential others do. Birdie's an example of what you're talking about- he can be losing most of a round, but due to his V-trigger, two openings late in a round can often lead to a dead opponent.

Yes, she's frustrating, but she's supposed to be, that's how Chun works- she's a defensive character.

Mr. X

....huh?

Chun absolutely does need to be on point with anti-airs and such. She has lower HP and damage output, and doesn't have the comeback potential others do. Birdie's an example of what you're talking about- he can be losing most of a round, but due to his V-trigger, two openings late in a round can often lead to a dead opponent.

Yes, she's frustrating, but she's supposed to be, that's how Chun works- she's a defensive character.
Chun can comeback, it's not off stupid damage like birdie in v trigger.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

I've complained about Chun before, but this is true. Feels like she needs one or two more real openings than other characters for a win.

edit: She's definitely not a defensive character only, she's very well rounded. She can zone, she can play footsies, but she can also go on the offensive, especially with a stacked V-Trigger.

KingBroly

Banned
....huh?

Chun can absolutely comeback given how many tools she has.

kirblar

Chun can absolutely comeback given how many tools she has.
Any character can come back. The degree of difference is relative to the other characters in the game, and I'd argue she has one of the harder times doing it. (Birdie, Bison probably the easiest.)
I've complained about Chun before, but this is true. Feels like she needs one or two more real openings than other characters for a win.

edit: She's definitely not a defensive character only, she's very well rounded. She can zone, she can play footsies, but she can also go on the offensive, especially with a stacked V-Trigger.
No one in this game is defense-only, it's just that if your defense isn't on point as Chun, you are not going to do very well w/ her.

What's the deal with F.A.N.G? His special moves seem like he should be a zoner, but then his V-Trigger is built around him being a rush down character.

How should I be playing him?

What's the deal with F.A.N.G? His special moves seem like he should be a zoner, but then his V-Trigger is built around him being a rush down character.

How should I be playing him?
His specials are indeed better for zoning and for creating frame traps than they are for straight up offense.

FANG is great cause he can switch from zoner to in your face in almost an instant because of his dash.

You need to play him as a slower-paced character because he doesn't do much damage in bursts as much as he does over time.

Play him as a zoner who occasionally gets in people's faces and uses his normals to pressure since poison state not only damages but it also prevents white health regen so even blocked normals have more effect than usual.

Try not to become too predictable and remember that there are ways around his trap and his air fireballs.

And don't rely too much on your v-skill, it's really ehh.

Maulik

Does Bison/Dictator have a normal that does overhead damage? I feel like you are safe against him so long as you crouch block. The only way i can vary it up is with head stomp but that gives time for the other player to react with anti air.

"Does Bison/Dictator have a normal that does overhead damage? I feel like you are safe against him so long as you crouch block. The only way i can vary it up is with head stomp but that gives time for the other player to react with anti air."

Throw more.

TacosNSalsa

Had a discussion about this with a couple friends the other day and we all agreed that their is a decent chance if you put more than a couple top US players in a room together they're more likely to get into a fight than actually learn anything .
Last time I saw this tried Fchamp and PR Balrog almost got into a fist fight and I think Balrog got kicked out of of champs house.

We much rather talk shit , start drama ,pop off ,get in each other's face and complain about our characters weaknesses than actually learn the game proper.

Had a discussion about this with a couple friends the other day and we all agreed that their is a decent chance if you put more than a couple top US players in a room together they're more likely to get into a fight than actually learn anything .
Last time I saw this tried Fchamp and PR Balrog almost got into a fist fight and I think Balrog got kicked out of of champs house.

We much rather talk shit , start drama ,pop off ,get in each other's face and complain about our characters weaknesses than actually learn the game proper.
I think that's more of an american thing in general tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom