• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I like makoto more than her, but Ibuki play style is unique and that seems to be what Capcom is going for.

Sagat
Sakura
Akuma
Blanka
Honda
Makoto

Im hoping that's season 2. Popular characters need to show up ASAP and it's pretty easy to make Sagat, Sakura play nothing like Ken and Ryu so it doesn't feel like a shoto update.

At the risk of sounding like a shit , I kinda hope no one on your list makes it in dude. SF has so many characters, let a couple of em miss game once in a while. Make some new ones, use some old ones, and give the wellworn ones a rest.

qcf x2

still waiting for mah man sagat. game still feels uncomplete without him. i try to pick him, but he's not there! oro should be in. he looks crazy and many people haven't played him. gouki is a no-brainer. i hate blanka, don't really want him. pls rework if you decide to put him in. viper could be interesting. i would give her a try for sure.

I don't mind Sagat because he was the original boss and thus strong af, but much like with SF3 I just don't see a fit for him in this game. High, low projectiles? Sorry bro, Juri's got that. Extra meaty normals? That's Ryu now. I think he would need a massive redesign and I don't think that's what Sagat fans would want. Same goes for Akuma, I don't see the fit unless they radically change their gameplay or they radically change the way SFV feels (and I desperately hope they DON'T do that).

Announcement for the upcoming announcement of the announcement of forthcoming content. And yet I'll bite.

Ya'll are forgetting about skullomania.

And his evil brother Shadowgeist.

yeah I like makoto more than her, but Ibuki play style is unique and that seems to be what Capcom is going for.

Sagat
Sakura
Akuma
Blanka
Honda
Makoto

Im hoping that's season 2. Popular characters need to show up ASAP and it's pretty easy to make Sagat, Sakura play nothing like Ken and Ryu so it doesn't feel like a shoto update.

Even if they don't play similarly, 3 shotos in one season is awful. Honda and Blanka is just the icing on the shitty cake too.

Makoto is bes tho.

We made it!!!

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
filter by flag is the worst you could ask for. it would be devastating for smaller countries. filter by conecction quality, that's what you want.
And ppl just picked whatever flag anyway. I played quite a few with Jamaican ones in Europe with 5 bars for example.

ElFly

I swear the last time it came up someone linked something saying the complete opposite. She's also been in like 5 different fighting games, can't be that hard.

Yeah there is a lot of contradictory info on this, can't really blame you. I had forgotten about this interview until five minutes ago.

Ono may even be wrong here, dunno.

The threat would work better if it didn't have five frames of startup; in previous games it was common to spd in the middle of a block string but now it is super hard.

The intense weakening of grabs (in range and startup) goes in hand with eliminating option selects to make grabs more of a paper rock scissor thing as opposed to a more sure thing, but it makes no sense to keep that for command grabs of grapplers.
The function of command grabs like the SPD harkens back to how it used to be in older Street Fighter games; a conditioning method, like you already said. Only in atypical entries like IV, with a bare minimum of thought put in its whole design, was churning it out as a desperate reversal in the middle of block strings or on wake-up considered valid. The incremental increase in frame start-up doesn't mean much in the big picture here when the vast majority of safety nets that existed in Street Fighter IV for defense or specific (returning) special attacks have either been eliminated or heavily toned down, thus evening out the overall balance. If anything, command grabs are now considerably more potent (comparatively speaking) in tandem with other core mechanics and deliberate risk-reward elements that were implemented in V, with even a normal throw (which also received the 'higher frames and less range than before' treatment) being viewed as a deceptively dangerous tool in the hands of someone who fully understands the scope of frame traps. Well before Capcom announced their counter-measures to cripple the effectiveness of that one option select, no less. You could argue that Zangief hasn't been given enough tools to get the ball rolling, which I already disagree with, but the threat of grabs by and large still exists.

And that's ignoring that command grabs on the surface carry other benefits exempt from regular throws too, depending on the character. More range, more damage, more stun, different positioning for the next set-up, throw invulnerability, applicable in a combo, ability to wall bounce et cetera. Most of these also possess the same amount of start-up frames as the standard throws to boot, excluding characters like Necalli and Vega due to more flexibility in their gameplan or movement options.

Nothing you brought up strikes me as a problem.

I'm pretty sure Karin has a separate trademark on the SFV title screen, and the demand for Skullomania is pretty high. Arika hasn't exactly had the most output of late as it is, so I doubt getting the license would be that hard.

Yeah, Capcom shoulda outsourced the netplay to Nambo Bandai.

Pokken matchmaking is nigh instantaneous.

Everyone loves to whine about netcode when more often than not it's actually the matchmaking is to blame.

Your 5-bar match is laggy garbage? That's probably not the netcode's fault, it's the matchmaking being garbage at assessing connection quality.

HiResDes

Is there a pro player under the name Stankboys?.. Dude had an insanely safe Vega, reminded me of Zeus. My first encounter with anyone in Ultra Gold and I blew it : (

I don't mind Sagat because he was the original boss and thus strong af, but much like with SF3 I just don't see a fit for him in this game. High, low projectiles? Sorry bro, Juri's got that. Extra meaty normals? That's Ryu now. I think he would need a massive redesign and I don't think that's what Sagat fans would want. Same goes for Akuma, I don't see the fit unless they radically change their gameplay or they radically change the way SFV feels (and I desperately hope they DON'T do that).

yea, i get what you say. considering pretty much anyone has a good way around fireballs, they'd have to adjustments. i don't think juri is a replacement for sagat because sagat is the OG and i dislike her design anyway. put that tiger knee to good use.

Tirael

Announcement for the upcoming announcement of the announcement of forthcoming content. And yet I'll bite.

yeah but for real tho

My hopes for Season 2

Sagat
MackTruckoto
Dudley
New Character
New Character
New Character

I mained Dudley in IV, and used Sagat a lot as well. I almost prefer them not being in, it's forced me to get out of my comfort zone. It's the reason I picked up Mika, the first grappler I've ever used, and am having a blast.

Skilletor

Since the March patch includes gameplay changes, it makes sense for it to come after another CPT event.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, Capcom shoulda outsourced the netplay to Nambo Bandai.

Pokken matchmaking is nigh instantaneous.

Yeah, and even if you restrict it based on ping, it still takes less than 5 seconds. That 10 second timer makes you go 'wait? 10 seconds? That's not gonna error is it? OH shit! I'm already in a match!' Now if it was just rollback netcode it'd be fucking perfect.

KingBroly

Banned
Since the March patch includes gameplay changes, it makes sense for it to come after another CPT event.

That's my logic and I'm sticking to it.

They could've just, you know, said when it's coming and why at this point. There's ZERO excuse for them to not talk about it.

ElFly

The function of command grabs like the SPD harkens back to how it used to be in older Street Fighter games; a conditioning method, like you already said. Only in atypical entries like IV, with a bare minimum of thought put in its whole design, was churning it out as a desperate reversal in the middle of block strings or on wake-up considered valid. The incremental increase in frame start-up doesn't mean much in the big picture here when the vast majority of safety nets that existed in Street Fighter IV for defense or specific (returning) special attacks have either been eliminated or heavily toned down, thus evening out the overall balance. If anything, command grabs are now considerably more potent (comparatively speaking) in tandem with other core mechanics and deliberate risk-reward elements that were implemented in V, with even a normal throw (which also received the 'higher frames and less range than before' treatment) being viewed as a deceptively dangerous tool in the hands of someone who fully understands the scope of frame traps. Well before Capcom announced their counter-measures to cripple the effectiveness of that one option select, no less. You could argue that Zangief hasn't been given enough tools to get the ball rolling, which I already disagree with, but the threat of grabs by and large still exists.

And that's ignoring that command grabs on the surface carry other benefits exempt from regular throws too, depending on the character. More range, more damage, more stun, different positioning for the next set-up, throw invulnerability, applicable in a combo, ability to wall bounce et cetera. Most of these also possess the same amount of start-up frames as the standard throws to boot, excluding characters like Necalli and Vega due to more flexibility in their gameplan or movement options.

Nothing you brought up strikes me as a problem.

The argument of "it was in SF4 therefore it was broken" holds no water because, again, this is a property of SPD that existed in previous SF games. If you did unsafe shit near gief, you got grabbed. Now the grab is so slow that you can just keep your pressure going.

Before, you could do wakeup SPD without much problem, now you need the CA for that. The equivalent argument would be taking away wakeup shoryuken from Ryu just because that existed in SF4.

Grabs as a threat still exist, but let's not pretend the startup frames aren't a huge nerf for him.

Ferrio

Banned
The argument of "it was in SF4 therefore it was broken" holds no water because, again, this is a property of SPD that existed in previous SF games. If you did unsafe shit near gief, you got grabbed. Now the grab is so slow that you can just keep your pressure going.

Before, you could do wakeup SPD without much problem, now you need the CA for that. The equivalent argument would be taking away wakeup shoryuken from Ryu just because that existed in SF4.

Well we could always decrease the startup, but make it crush counterable like DPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom