• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

Ucchedavāda;199110970 said:
It's not really surprising that they have stages in the shop. One of the betas allowed you to use your FM to unlock Karin's stage, so it was clearly something they had planned well in advance.
Oh, that was probably during the beta I could not play because they made it on the exact days of our annual work travel. ^^
Surprising they never mentioned them ever since then; maybe there's still hope for our special rewards for having participated in the betas then? ^^

MrDaravon

Was pretty bummed out by going literally 2-11 this morning, but we got patch info so that at least brightnened my mood a little bit haha. All things considered though they're handling things as well as they can considering the bad spot they've put themselves in by allowing everyone the free Alex trial, free costumes and Season Pass holders also getting a stage for free.

Oh, that was probably during the beta I could not play because they made it on the exact days of our annual work travel. ^^
Surprising they never mentioned them ever since then; maybe there's still hope for our special rewards for having participated in the betas then? ^^

The real question will be - are we talking actual new stages here or current stage variants, as seen in story mode? I have zero doubts that we'll be getting new stages at some point. They've already tested the system for it & everything. I just want to know what are they going to give the SP holders. If its just daytime Kanzuki Estate? LOL

HardRojo

Everyone will be forced to download the content but only those who purchase it will be able to access it by themselves, other players will only be able to see costumes and play in DLC stages if their opponent chooses them. I'm sure it'll work that way, I don't think Capcom could be that incompetent, oh wait...

The real question will be - are we talking actual new stages here or current stage variants, as seen in story mode? I have zero doubts that we'll be getting new stages at some point. They've already tested the system for it & everything. I just want to know what are they going to give the SP holders. If its just daytime Kanzuki Estate? LOL

I would love new stages bevcause most of them are pretty bland, but the story mode variations (Daytime Kanzuki Estate, 4 Kings Sagat variant) are way more realistic.

Everyone will be forced to download the content but only those who purchase it will be able to access it by themselves, other players will only be able to see costumes and play in DLC stages if their opponent chooses them. I'm sure it'll work that way, I don't think Capcom could be that incompetent, oh wait...

I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's how DLC works for multiplayer games.

Shito

The formulation they used for the stage given to SP holders makes it look like they didn't even start a draft yet for said stage.
I do hope and think it'll be a brand new stage, but I'm not expecting it any time soon. :D

I don't understand what you're trying to say, that's how DLC works for multiplayer games.

As long as it is just cosmetics, the game could just default to basic costumes for your opponent if you do not own the / have downloaded the costume that they are using. However, it's basically free advertisement to have it installed by default, so I doubt that Capcom would predicate your seeing the other players' costumes on you owning them yourself.

if they want people to pay it helps to have a way for them to pay. :p
True lol, but I'm talking more long term, specifically with April till September. They don't want to be just giving FM away for nothing after all. If the balance that they seem to have right now holds, then I don't think it'll be a problem but Capcom isn't exactly run by people who know what their customers want it seems.

Read the last page, people were speculating otherwise.
Ahh ok, sorry. Didn't catch that.
Ucchedavāda;199112104 said:
As long as it is just cosmetics, the game could just default to basic costumes for your opponent if you do not own the / have downloaded the costume that they are using. However, it's basically free advertisement to have it installed by default, so I doubt that Capcom would predicate your seeing the other players' costumes on you owning them yourself.
Isn't there a game that already does something like this? Maybe it was Killer Instinct? I doubt Capcom are gonna do something so nice though.

Mupod

Going by the update, it sounds like what took them so long was the Zenny store being incomplete. Considering how 'last minute' some of the other features were, I imagine their system for handling in-game CC transactions was not adequate or properly vetted. There are a ton of things you have to go through once you are able to take people's money directly in your software.

I meant specifically what took them so long to announce compensation for launch issues. Most companies would straight up say okay we are giving everyone something nice for putting up with our bullshit.

Also now that I think about it we were supposed to get something for Beta 1 being a dumpster fire. Guess they forgot.

Fighting games spent years trying to figure out this issue with regards to online clients not having access to the same data when attempting to play against one another. This was one of the reasons why Capcom put as much of the characters on the SFxT disc (that & greed, ofc).

Having each client have all content downloaded or having their client be updated to 'current' & having them pay to unlock the content they actually want to utilize is a much easier solution for everyone involved. Plus, it lets players that don't have some content get to see new content regardless of whether or not they own it.

Baleoce

Pretty funny how they're spinning it as free DLC. Oh what a great gift, Capcom.

Yeah that bothered me when people (and Capcom themselves) refer to it as free updates. Seen as it's clearly an early access model in all but name, the full price we paid for it at launch is the *investment* we've made for those updates.

Shito

Yeah that bothered me when people (and Capcom themselves) refer to it as free updates. Seen as it's clearly an early access model in all but name, the full price we paid for it at launch is the *investment* we've made for those updates.
Well, they have no choice but to say this is a free update, because at the end of the day: it is.
If they don't say anything people will start to wonder if you have to pay for it, or have the season pass for it, or whatnots.
Sure we all see this as the logical addition of our 60$ initial package, but it does come into the form of a free update to the game, whatever the price you paid for it.

vulva

But any competent opponent will stop using his V-skill in predictable situations if he get's punished more than once. That's just adaptation. And like I said this doesn't apply for every character. FANG definitely has a tough time of this at a certain range since his jump is low but slow. And his command dash also gets hit by it.

It's not as black and white as just anticipate it and you can avoid it since any competent player will also stop throwing out the V-skill and rely on different tools if it's getting punished or not working. And I really think you're under-estimating how difficult it can be to punish from it's medium version's range.

EDIT: During Final Round, Haitani and PR-Rog was definitely hitting it successfully quite a few times as well. I think his opponents were expecting the V-skill too, and even if the opponent blocks it, it's fine since he gets V-meter for that too.

Of course it's not, I'm not saying that there's a hard defined point. I'm saying that if you shut down that option once or twice it will cause them to re-evaluate their approach. This is what fighting games are, at the end of the day. Players reactively adapting to each other or losing because of a lack of adaptation.

Say you've punished the vskill a couple times and they stop doing it, since you've punished you're now at a health advantage and they need to find a new way to get in. Now you can change your plan from going in and punishing the vskills to doing something to keep them out. Anti-airing, poking them on their approaches etc.

Yes those two guys were hitting it very successfully and that comes from them knowing how to mix up the timing and approach since they're smart players. It's a constant back and forth and in those sort of mid fight mini games of limiting or exploiting various options the stronger player is the one who knows how to control and take advantage of the other player's approach.

I meant specifically what took them so long to announce compensation for launch issues. Most companies would straight up say okay we are giving everyone something nice for putting up with our bullshit.

Also now that I think about it we were supposed to get something for Beta 1 being a dumpster fire. Guess they forgot.

It's probably because they didn't have a full-breath of the problems the Zenny store was facing on top of the current issues they have (like being able to log into another user's profile, a big liability for a real-money storefront). That then presented the problem of "Well, if we give people the character for free, then season pass holders are gonna feel ripped off", which probably meant they had to test the system so that all players had access to Alex on this trial program they are setting up, which probably didn't even exist a month ago.

It's a tight rope walk between finding content to keep season pass holders feel secure in the money they've put down, giving the player base some compensation for the issues they've faced, and work on these features that they have to get out in order to allow the game to continue to grow.

Don't get me wrong - Capcom is fucking TERRIBLE when it comes to communication. Take yesterday for example: we get a tweet saying March Update info is coming "soon", when we're this close to the end of the month, and no clarification on when 'soon' is, when they could've just said "blog update coming 9am PST tomorrow". Thats literally ALL they needed to say. Instead, we got 'soon'. Of all the things that need to be corrected with SFV, their out-facing communication is probably one of the things that would top my list.

stn

I'm loving Ryu, probably my favorite version of him ever. I don't even know why I'm suddenly using him, I've never mained Ryu before. Though I'm still holding out hope that Rolento, Akuma, and Dee-Jay eventually make it onto the roster.

But they were originally planned for the march update right?

Yes, they were. A few things got pushed out of the March Update that we were led to believe would be there back in February, when the game launched. Daily Challenges & that Event Mode (the only screenshot we have of this is Ryu facing off against a Bison henchman). However, we did get the FT3 option in ranked, which we had no indication was going to be coming. I imagine Daily Challenges & that Event mode got pushed to either the April or May Update.

Shito

Just call it an update, like every other Early Access game
You have to be very clear to your customers about the price of any of your items.
Just calling it "an update" leaves it totally undefined as to whether or not the update is free, and it will get them a lot of people asking them this question, and a ton of "why can't they say it's free!".

Of course it's not, I'm not saying that there's a hard defined point. I'm saying that if you shut down that option once or twice it will cause them to re-evaluate their approach. This is what fighting games are, at the end of the day. Players reactively adapting to each other or losing because of a lack of adaptation.

Say you've punished the vskill a couple times and they stop doing it, since you've punished you're now at a health advantage and they need to find a new way to get in. Now you can change your plan from going in and punishing the vskills to doing something to keep them out. Anti-airing, poking them on their approaches etc.

Yes those two guys were hitting it very successfully and that comes from them knowing how to mix up the timing and approach since they're smart players. It's a constant back and forth and in those sort of mid fight mini games of limiting or exploiting various options the stronger player is the one who knows how to control and take advantage of the other player's approach.
Exactly, and in such a back-and-forth situation, players will want to use methods and moves that have the lowest risk of failure and/or have the lowest chance of getting punished in the event that it fails.

Considering Necalli's V-Skill in such a situation, it's not as big a risk as throwing a fireball since you almost always have the option of just jumping over a fireball. That fireball takes time to get to you or any other projectile for that matter. There's always a way to deal with it(other than just blocking it) but Necalli's V-skill is more difficult to avoid and it's considerably riskier to try and make a move on reaction than it is with a fireball since an incorrect movement can also lead you to you not just taking damage from itbut getting knocked down as well as making it easier for Necalli to get his V-Trigger.

Another thing to consider is that his V-skill also gets much faster on start-up (and maybe recovery too) when he's in V-Trigger making it even less riskier. I still say that when you take his entire moveset, his tools and his abilities into consideration, his V-skill gives too much V-meter when taking into account how relatively low the risk is (again, depending on the matchup).

Xeteh

But they were originally planned for the march update right?

iirc they were supposed to launch beside the store. So I guess if the store is only half releasing maybe that is why they didn't start working on them along side everything else?

People are bitching that they're just giving the 2 story costumes for free but... I legit thought they wouldn't give anything so I'm pleasantly surprised.

ok I updated the OP with Alex + fixed the fight stick bit.

obviously I didn't have access to Alex to get proper shots so I just stole one from the Capcom blog, hope it looks ok :/

Baleoce

You have to be very clear to your customers about the price of any of your items.
Just calling it "an update" leaves it totally undefined as to whether or not the update is free, and it will get them a lot of people asking them this question, and a ton of "why can't they say it's free!".

Although I see what you're getting at, there are plenty of ongoing services that don't label their update patches as free. Whether they're a pure f2p game, or b2p. Well, obviously the f2p ones wouldn't bother, but b2p I've played plenty of, and they never refer to it as that. Generic Destiny patch notes don't.

Xeteh

ok I updated the OP with Alex + fixed the fight stick bit.

obviously I didn't have access to Alex to get proper shots so I just stole one from the Capcom blog, hope it looks ok :/

UGH IT LOOKS AWFUL!

Someone fire Garrett, he's screwed up for the last time! And no, I will not "please understand".

Looks good!

Ucchedavāda;199112104 said:

So you'd think, but that's exactly what they erroneously did in IV thru all of its variations. As you said, the free advertisement option, they totally shouldn't do it that way. It's all too easy to just have it locked on the player end of using it, but actually still being able to see it in all cases otherwise tho. Tho from how things are lookign with the story mode costumes, perhaps they will do this the right way this time.

UGH IT LOOKS AWFUL!

Someone fire Garrett, he's screwed up for the last time! And no, I will not "please understand".

Looks good!
2bm38Q9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom