• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggNife

I guess they were stuck between delaying Alex and the shop until the Zenny stuff was implemented or releasing it now and doing that stuff later.

I think their decision was the right one. The last thing you want is people getting pissed over more delays and Alex being temporarily free is a nice gesture.

I guess they were stuck between delaying Alex and the shop until the Zenny stuff was implemented or releasing it now and doing that stuff later.

I think their decision was the right one. The last thing you want is people getting pissed over more delays and Alex being temporarily free is a nice gesture.
Yeah, I'm honestly really happy with how they're doing things. I already bought the season pass on PC and am going to pick it up on PS4 but it's just nice of them to throw us a bone!

Depending on the release of this patch, what it fixes, and what it possibly breaks. I will be buying, or avoiding the season pass.

I really like the game and franchise but I don't want to support this...

Realistically I have to buy it anyway, since my console is one of the ones we use at our locals, and I do most of the TOing and setup. But I want to resist, Capcom don't deserve any money.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah I saw stages in the shop menu and was like....what.

they shouldnt be locking stages behind a paywall man.

thats bogus.

I kinda disagree, if it means they're incentivized to create more and better stages with that paywall. Same goes for the other stuff, too.

vulva

thats bogus.

I mean, stages are just as much cosmetic as costumes since they don't really affect anything. I don't see anything wrong with that, if anything it's nice they give you the option to buy them if you want.
I personally think that it isn't that easy to avoid,at least not for every character. Perhaps it's balanced in that sense, perhaps its not. Truth be told, this is my first proper street fighter and my experience going into this matchup is mainly with Ryu and FANG so perhaps I simply haven't been utilizing my tools correctly.

The trick is in anticipation. You don't just jump in willy nilly, but you think "what range will I be at where he wants to vskill?" and then get ready in anticipation of that. Like if you're 2/3s of the screen away and you see him positioning himself then stopping that should be a sign he's plotting something, the moment you see his arms go up, just jump forward. Now, to be clear, I don't think you'll be able to just reactively jump the moment that happens out of nowhere but if you're looking for it then it becomes easier.

You ever do one of those online tests for reactions to see how quickly you react? You sit there waiting til the prompt comes on the screen then click. You're sitting there with your finger already prepared to press the button, your finger's probably slightly tensed up even in anticipation of the button press. The moment that prompt comes on screen, you're in there super quick.

Now imagine just browsing around and suddenly getting a prompt to click without any reason to expect it. I can guarantee your times will be significantly lower in that setting. The punish on basically any move in a fighting game is the same way. You won't be punishing it (unless it's got insane recovery and easy positioning etc) on pure reaction without anticipation as well. To properly anticipate it you need to know when it makes the most sense to look out for it.

thats bogus.
Stages will most likely be alternate versions of existing stages and will also most likely be FM purchasable.

EDIT: But even if they're not FM purchasable, it's mainly cosmetic anyway.

ImBehindYou

Neo Member
Just played a guy who would alt+tab making the game a complete slideshow any time he lost a round. Was in a lounge like there weren't even imaginary points on the line. People frustrate me :/

Free Alex though!!

Quesa

"Ever wonder what a powerbomb looks like in 3D? You're very close to finding out."

Video End

I actually, audibly laughed at this part. Capcom, you goddamned teases.

TacosNSalsa

I'm curious of how stages will work when one of the players doesn't have it. Like will it tell someone that their opponent doesn't have it so you cannot use it? Will it allow them to play on the stage anyway?

Called it!

Ahh, but Alex coming later is kinda silly. Oh well. A day early ain't bad.

lol if you bought the season pass when the characters are free

Characters aren't free, just Alex. And those with the SP can just spend their FM on all the other shit like costumes and stages instead of wasting it on characters.

Nice update and video, and I'll gladly take a free Sexy Ryu.
My only complaint is that the video didn't actually show any content in the shop, other than Alex.

Also, cool of them to add more value to the Season Pass.
I just hope that we'll also be able to buy stages with FM (until the Zenny gets implemented), cause I'm not sold on the Season Pass.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious of how stages will work when one of the players doesn't have it. Like will it tell someone that their opponent doesn't have it so you cannot use it? Will it allow them to play on the stage anyway?
You probably just won't be able to pick that stage if you don't have it and you will be if you do. You'll both still play on it then.

what, they gon take the characters away from you after the trial period? that be some bullshit
Yeah, unless you buy them with Fight Money.

Basically, don't buy them in any way - you get to use them till they add Zenny (premium currency).

Buy them using FM - yours to keep forever.

Buy them using the season pass - yours to keep forever + a free premium costume.

Mr. X

Wish List for SFV

-Skullgirls All-Play Lobbies
-Ping numbers instead undefined bars
-hitbox display
-remember my training mode settings
-Less npcs in stages
-more stage transitions
-double KO during final round adds a 4th round
-pc version stick support

BlizzKrut

Banned
Capcom releasing Alex on the 30th just to wrong people saying it would be on the 31st.

j6KCr9F.jpg

LakeEarth

Ucchedavāda;199109900 said:
Nice update and video, and I'll gladly take a free Sexy Ryu.
My only complaint is that the video didn't actually show any content in the shop, other than Alex.
Yeah I want to know what else is going to be available day one. I noticed "colors", I'm curious to see if it is just going to be new colors or will they have the survival mode ones purchasable as well.

FluxWaveZ

I think everyone will be forced to download any and all content the game introduces with every update in order to play online. Players who purchased the backgrounds will be able to bring players who have not to that stage, but players who haven't purchased them won't be able to access them on their own.

It's like Alex. It's not as if the game will freak out if one player bought Alex and chose to play as them but the other player did not purchase Alex once the trial ends.

I mean, stages are just as much cosmetic as costumes since they don't really affect anything. I don't see anything wrong with that, if anything it's nice they give you the option to buy them if you want.

The trick is in anticipation. You don't just jump in willy nilly, but you think "what range will I be at where he wants to vskill?" and then get ready in anticipation of that. Like if you're 2/3s of the screen away and you see him positioning himself then stopping that should be a sign he's plotting something, the moment you see his arms go up, just jump forward. Now, to be clear, I don't think you'll be able to just reactively jump the moment that happens out of nowhere but if you're looking for it then it becomes easier.

You ever do one of those online tests for reactions to see how quickly you react? You sit there waiting til the prompt comes on the screen then click. You're sitting there with your finger already prepared to press the button, your finger's probably slightly tensed up even in anticipation of the button press. The moment that prompt comes on screen, you're in there super quick.

Now imagine just browsing around and suddenly getting a prompt to click without any reason to expect it. I can guarantee your times will be significantly lower in that setting. The punish on basically any move in a fighting game is the same way. You won't be punishing it (unless it's got insane recovery and easy positioning etc) on pure reaction without anticipation as well. To properly anticipate it you need to know when it makes the most sense to look out for it.
But any competent opponent will stop using his V-skill in predictable situations if he get's punished more than once. That's just adaptation. And like I said this doesn't apply for every character. FANG definitely has a tough time of this at a certain range since his jump is low but slow. And his command dash also gets hit by it.

It's not as black and white as just anticipate it and you can avoid it since any competent player will also stop throwing out the V-skill and rely on different tools if it's getting punished or not working. And I really think you're under-estimating how difficult it can be to punish from it's medium version's range.

EDIT: During Final Round, Haitani and PR-Rog was definitely hitting it successfully quite a few times as well. I think his opponents were expecting the V-skill too, and even if the opponent blocks it, it's fine since he gets V-meter for that too.

You probably just won't be able to pick that stage if you don't have it and you will be if you do. You'll both still play on it then.

It could just put you on a stage that you own. Provided they are the same width they do not need to match.

Probably some technical issues that would need to be addressed in order to get that working, but it doesn't seem like it would be too tricky since the playable environment is the same either way.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It could just put you on a stage that you own. Provided they are the same width they do not need to match.

Probably some technical issues that would need to be addressed in order to get that working, but it doesn't seem like it would be too tricky since the playable environment is the same either way.
Nah, they want to dangle that carrot in front of the other player for sure

BlizzKrut

Banned

Or, you know, it just puts you in the stage your opponent chose, less trouble for Capcom and both players are happy.

Yeah I want to know what else is going to be available day one. I noticed "colors", I'm curious to see if it is just going to be new colors or will they have the survival mode ones purchasable as well.

I really hope that you can purchase the survival mode colors.
Because, barring a massive overhaul of that mode to actually make it interesting, there is no way in hell I want to waste my time on that.

TacosNSalsa

I think everyone will be forced to download any and all content the game introduces with every update in order to play online. Players who purchased the backgrounds will be able to bring players who have not to that stage, but players who haven't purchased them won't be able to access them on their own.

It's like Alex. It's not as if the game will freak out if one player bought Alex and chose to play as them but the other player did not purchase Alex once the trial ends.

Can you imagine how pissed some would be if you couldn't select a stage because your opponent didn't have it? Just think of the messages that would be sent . That would be rather funny actually..

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wish List for SFV

-Skullgirls All-Play Lobbies
-Ping numbers instead undefined bars
-hitbox display
-remember my training mode settings
-Less npcs in stages
-more stage transitions
-double KO during final round adds a 4th round
-pc version stick support
There really aren't any big fixes or changes in there, right? It's mostly new content. (yeah I know about the jump frame change)

Yeah, I'm starting to get hype.

So if Alex is free, the story costumes for Chun and Ryu are free, and a whole new stage is free for the season pass people, I guess I'll have a lot to spend on costumes.

Hot Ryu and Armor Bison, pls!

Nah, they want to dangle that carrot in front of the other player for sure

They should do that with every DLC character, IMO; have a free trial you can "purchase" in the shop once for each DLC character, which allows you to use that character for a few days / a week before deciding if you actually want to spend FM / Zenny on them.

Shito

The situation created by the zenny shop being far from being ready to release is soooo complicated, gosh. What a mess! ^^

I'm quite surprised to see stages being listed in the shop, since they never talked about them before at least that's something!
Can't wait for the patches to hit, I suspect the trials will be way less complicated than the SF4 ones but I'll be happy to do them. :3

Mupod

Getting the challenge mode/battle lounge update ASAP is something I definitely agree with. Giving out free stuff as compensation for the launch troubles is a no brainer and the only confusing thing is why it took so damn long.

Regardless, looking forward to Alex - was planning on getting him on both platforms but if he's total ass at least now I won't have to waste FM. Who am I kidding, I played him in 3S, I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm quite surprised to see stages being listed in the shop, since they never talked about them before at least that's something!
Can't wait for the patches to hit, I suspect the trials will be way less complicated than the SF4 ones but I'll be happy to do them. :3

It's not really surprising that they have stages in the shop. One of the betas allowed you to use your FM to unlock Karin's stage, so it was clearly something they had planned well in advance.

I wonder if the combo trials are gonna have silly inefficient combos that don't maximize damage like SF4. Either way, I'm looking forward to them. Prolly my favorite type of SP content, lol.

Getting the challenge mode/battle lounge update ASAP is something I definitely agree with. Giving out free stuff as compensation for the launch troubles is a no brainer and the only confusing thing is why it took so damn long.

Regardless, looking forward to Alex - was planning on getting him on both platforms but if he's total ass at least now I won't have to waste FM. Who am I kidding, I played him in 3S, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Going by the update, it sounds like what took them so long was the Zenny store being incomplete. Considering how 'last minute' some of the other features were, I imagine their system for handling in-game CC transactions was not adequate or properly vetted. There are a ton of things you have to go through once you are able to take people's money directly in your software.

wrongway

No Zenny, eh? Probably a wise move given people are randomly getting logged into other people's accounts. That probably means the preorder costumes won't be available yet though. boo :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom