• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shito

Although I see what you're getting at, there are plenty of ongoing services that don't label their update patches as free. Whether they're a pure f2p game, or b2p. Well, obviously the f2p ones wouldn't bother, but b2p I've played plenty of, and they never refer to it as that. Generic Destiny patch notes don't.
That is true, still I think Capcom would catch a lot of bad press if they were to kick off these updates by not saying it's free. I don't remember but doesn't Bungie usually present their updates for Destiny as being "free" or not when they first talk about them, and then dropping the precision for the actual patch notes / update release? I swear they did when they first talked about this year's plan of having one free update this Spring, and a paid extension at the end of year...

So you'd think, but that's exactly what they erroneously did in IV thru all of its variations. As you said, the free advertisement option, they totally shouldn't do it that way. It's all too easy to just have it locked on the player end of using it, but actually still being able to see it in all cases otherwise tho. Tho from how things are lookign with the story mode costumes, perhaps they will do this the right way this time.
You can already see people using preorder costumes even if you don't have them unlocked.
So yeah, there's no reason for them not to do it "the right way". They couldn't on SF4 because of the 360 restrictions, where you had to download the costume packs separately.

fang-sfv-artwork.jpg

This is the official artwork for FANG, but check out the background. Looks insane like a old chinese temple that's only a 10 minute drive from an extremely crowded city.

EDIT: Sorry, quoted the image.

EDIT2: Actually judging from FANG's background shown in the story mode, this could the place where they trained him and his fellow assassins/triads.

Pompadour

If stages work like they did in the 2nd beta where you could purchase them with FM, you can play on stages you don't have unlocked if your opponent owns it.

Xeteh

This is the official artwork for FANG, but check out the background. Looks insane like a old chinese temple that's only a 10 minute drive from an extremely crowded city.

EDIT2: Actually judging from FANG's background shown in the story mode, this could the place where they trained him and his fellow assassins/triads.

I wish I liked FANG's design... he's fun to play but he just looks so dumb.

Didn't they show this stage in the screenshots for the super early build of the game?

If they add more stage transitions, a potential incentive for folks to actually buy stages could be implemented with the daily challenges if some of the challenges consist of knocking characters thru a certain number of select stages stage transition barriers. Like a challenge could be, "Feed Birdie 30 Bowls of Noodles In A Day, In Ranked or Online Only, etc.".

I wish I liked FANG's design... he's fun to play but he just looks so dumb.

That's kinda his gimmick though. He's this goofy character that is practically in love with Bison and wants nothing more than to be his no.2

His story mode was kinda cool though, Bison single-handedly wipes out his gang and eventually beats FANG too but because FANG gave him the hardest chance and came close to actually defeating him, Bison offered him a place in his organization.
If they add more stage transitions, an incentive used for folks to actually buy stages could be implemented with the daily challenges as challenges if some of hte challenges consist of knocking characters thru a certain number of select stages stage transition barriers. LIke a challenge could be, "Feed Birdie 30 Bowls of Noodles In A Day, In Ranked or Online Only, etc.".
They're definitely not gonna be THAT strict with the requirements if it's a challenge that lasts for a day. Though yes, they might make the stage transitions part of the challenges, (assuming they actually add stage transitions for the rest of the stages).

ElFly

If they add more stage transitions, a potential incentive for folks to actually buy stages could be implemented with the daily challenges if some of the challenges consist of knocking characters thru a certain number of select stages stage transition barriers. Like a challenge could be, "Feed Birdie 30 Bowls of Noodles In A Day, In Ranked or Online Only, etc.".

I play so very few Birdies, the loading times and matchmaking are so slow, and the restaurant stage is not particularly well used, so that challenge would take me my whole life to complete.

Not even exaggerating.

That's kinda his gimmick though. He's this goofy character that is practically in love with Bison and wants nothing more than to be his no.2

His story mode was kinda cool though, Bison single-handedly wipes out his gang and eventually beats FANG too but because FANG gave him the hardest chance and came close to actually defeating him, Bison offered him a place in his organization.
They're definitely not gonna be THAT strict with the requirements if it's a challenge that lasts for a day. Though yes, they might make the stage transitions part of the challenges, (assuming they actually add stage transitions for the rest of the stages).

That was just a base example and considering how "high" the character costs of Fight Money, they very well may be that strict actually. Also, Daily Challenges may have various tiers of difficulty and randomness, with different FM payouts for how difficult the challenge may be.

I play so very few Birdies, the loading times and matchmaking are so slow, and the restaurant stage is not particularly well used, so that challenge would take me my whole life to complete.

Not even exaggerating.
Not to mention that you'd literally have to have at least 2 rounds that end with the a player on the left side leading to the right stage transition and it'd have to be birdie for the 2nd (or 3rd) stage transition.

Not even exaggerating.

I get you saying that, but consider this. Once Daily challenges are posted, I'm sure most FGC in the know would probably at least start changing their favorite stages to said stage needed.

Not to mention that you'd literally have to have at least 2 rounds that end with the a player on the left side leading to the right stage transition and it'd have to be birdie for the 2nd (or 3rd) stage transition.

Well, it's supposed to be a challenge, not a freebie, lol.

Pompadour

That was just a base example and considering how how the character costs of Fight Money, they very well may be that strict actually. Also, Daily Challenges may have various tiers of difficulty and randomness, with different FM payouts for how difficult the challenge may be.

The examples Capcom gave for a Daily Challenge were very basic. Things like "Land 10 EX Moves" or "Win 3 Matches with Cammy". They even implied some could be done offline so I doubt the payout is huge.

I get you saying that. But consider this. Once Daily challenges are posted, I'm sure most FGC in the know would probably at least start changing their favorite stages to said stage needed.

Which is exactly why that kind of challenge is going to be rare and the payout is not going to be particularly large even if it is posted.
Well, it's supposed to be a challenge, not a freebie, lol.
But there's nothing even challenging about that, it's just.... arduous.
EDIT: and as KingAwesome pointed out above, it's definitely going to be along those lines. Maybe if they add weekly challenges, they might be more demanding but still nothing like that.

Xeteh

If they hadn't shown him from before meeting Bison I'd have assumed his head was that narrow from being up the Dictator's ass for so long.

Which is exactly why that kind of challenge is going to be rare and the payout is not going to be particularly large even if it is posted.
But there's nothing even challenging about that, it's just.... arduous.

How is it not a challenge tho? It's actually quite a challenge to ensure that you beat someone by such a situation. I made it a meta game against a few buddy listers that I play to do just that actually. Very fun times indeed and it's an extra sodium gesture to win that way. Not at all ironic either, considering that ramen is quite salty.

The examples Capcom gave for a Daily Challenge were very basic. Things like "Land 10 EX Moves" or "Win 3 Matches with Cammy". They even implied some could be done offline so I doubt the payout is huge.

I get that, but those are also just that, "examples". Daily challenges would be a thing for who knows how long, maybe the duration of the game even. Mixing up the challenges in various ways seems more creative way to do them over time.

ElFly

Well right now even survival doesn't give money offline so I'd assume it will remain like that.

Would be comprehensible if making FM is forever tied to online, regardless of what they implied.

The stage in this artwork is actually very reminiscent of the temple stage featured in the prototype pictures of SFV, where bandaged Ryu & hat-less Bison are fighting each other.

Also, in the cinematic story trailer, most of the backgrounds that have characters on them are stages in the game, except for one: a wrestling ring that has both Zangief & R.Mika in it. Mind you, R.Mika's stage on her concept art background is a wrestling ring. There also seems to be a version of City In Chaos in the cinematic trailer where all the cars are destroyed & buildings are on fire.

Right now, I am anticipating new stages to be featured in the June update along with the cinematic story mode's release, since there seems to be new stages in the trailer for that mode. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BWJ9fUE0M

If they hadn't shown him from before meeting Bison I'd have assumed his head was that narrow from being up the Dictator's ass for so long.
Awwww, why'd you have to put that image in my head. Now I won't be able to sleep thanks.

Don't be hating though, every great person had a no.2 that carried them.
The stage in this artwork is actually very reminiscent of the temple stage featured in the prototype pictures of SFV, where bandaged Ryu & hat-less Bison are fighting each other.

Also, in the cinematic story trailer, most of the backgrounds that have characters on them are stages in the game, except for one: a wrestling ring that has both Zangief & R.Mika in it. Mind you, R.Mika's stage on her concept art background is a wrestling ring. There also seems to be a version of City In Chaos in the cinematic trailer where all the cars are destroyed & buildings are on fire.

Right now, I am anticipating new stages to be featured in the June update along with the cinematic story mode's release, since there seems to be new stages in the trailer for that mode. Have a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-BWJ9fUE0M

Yes,I'd talked about that at length in this thread too. There are a lot of great possibilities for stages and costumes that they have available to them and you're right that June will most likely be the time when those stages are added.

What I'm excited about, beyond all the tutorial stuff to stay fresh and Alex, is how they are gonna incorporate Alex into the fold. Retcons everywhere, but hopefully they make that part about him beating the shit out of Balrog canon.

Baleoce

Another random feature request that I think would be nice: (I'm not saying this is worth doing any time soon, there's clearly a lot of stuff they need to get through, I'm just thinking of nice things)

Community challenges.

Per character. You basically record a combo from any kind of starting scenario, a jump in, neutral, punish, counter hit. Maybe you have to successfully avoid something first before hand. The catch is, you have to actually be able to do it yourself in order to record and upload it. It can then replay that scenario as a guideline for people trying to do it themselves.

If community challenges had an upvoting system, it could double up as a means of highlighting potential character exploits that have been found. Throw enough monkeys at a typewriter (why am I throwing them?), and they're bound to find some interesting stuff that doesn't necessarily get uploaded to the likes of youtube. And of course, if a patch made that combo undoable, then it could be either downvoted, or there could be some kind of automation that detects it can no longer be accomplished.

LOL. Now I see it....damn auto correct. Invincible!
No he doesn't. That is one of Birdie's weaknesses, lack of a good wakeup option. However, Birdie can be one of the most difficult characters for R.Mika to reliably get in the corner.

You have to be less liberal with your v-skill usage since a st.HK from her can make that can and sometimes even the banana useless.

You can use your F.HP to absorb her st.hk and hit her. Generally, you have to play like a moving wall when you're playing against Mika because if she gets you in the corner then you're playing her game and YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY HER GAME!!

I'm sure there are more tips Birdie mains can give you.
Nicely played, Mika in the corner is scary!
Nope, was trying to get into you but with no sucess :/

EDIT: I meant that advice for you lol.

Dont forget the sarcophagus (why the fuck was he buried in a sarcopgagus!?) that Nash awakens from in his story mode

Birdies subway stage

and Rashids sand dunes
It's been theorized that Nash's stage is the Forgotten waterfall stage and those tombs are to the right of the stage. (There's an entrance to the right, maybe it'll be accessible once stage transitions come in).

Birdie's might be something like the London stage from SF:Alpha.

Rashid's is the one I'm most curious about though. If the Forgotten waterfall and Hillside Plaza stage have shown anything, Capcom can still make some damn good vistas in their stages. Rashid's might be incredible with gleaming and tall structures far away in the background with nothing but a hard desert in between.

Realistically, it'll probably just be a desert with 30 fps camels in the background.

No he doesn't. That is one of Birdie's weaknesses, lack of a good wakeup option. However, Birdie can be one of the most difficult characters for R.Mika to reliably get in the corner.

You have to be less liberal with your v-skill usage since a st.HK from her can make that can and sometimes even the banana useless.

You can use your F.HP to absorb her st.hk and hit her. Generally, you have to play like a moving wall when you're playing against Mika because if she gets you in the corner then you're playing her game and YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY HER GAME!!

I'm sure there are more tips Birdie mains can give you.

Great tips! I'll keep that in mind when I fight other Birdie. -_^

joe2187

Banned
Rashid's is the one I'm most curious about though. If the Forgotten waterfall and Hillside Plaza stage have shown anything, Capcom can still make some damn good vistas in their stages. Rashid's might be incredible with gleaming and tall structures far away in the background with nothing but a hard desert in between.

It could probably turn into a remix of Solar Eclipse from SFIV with Bisons disco death star creating the eclipse.

It could probably turn into a remix of Solar Eclipse from SFIV with Bisons disco death star creating the eclipse.

As long as they don't go overboard with the background characters, that can work.

Oh who am I kidding, it's going to have a shit-tonne of background characters.

ElFly

I don't think the SFV stages are impressive, even when ignoring the annoying background characters.

The prettiest ones are London and Brazil, and even those aren't that cool.

They really need to go back to a more subdued style for the backgrounds. Less features, less distracting little details, more large skies and horizons.

What I am saying is give me Australia Grass Fields or give me death.

I don't think the SFV stages are impressive, even when ignoring the annoying background characters.

They really need to go back to a more subdued style for the backgrounds. Less features, less distracting little details, more large skies and horizons.

Ehh...different strokes I guess. I was mighty impressed with Karin's stage upon reveal. I like Laura's stage aesthetic as well and the London one too. THe China stage rather really sets the tone of V's design IMO too. While I like the idea of the background of the Bison stage, Lair of the 4 Kings, with it's Kings monuments, the rest of the stage kinda lends into that IV goofiness pattern. Reminds me of that stage ripped from SFXTK and Seth's stage.

Hong Kong stage is pretty cool

Getting the challenge mode/battle lounge update ASAP is something I definitely agree with. Giving out free stuff as compensation for the launch troubles is a no brainer and the only confusing thing is why it took so damn long.

Regardless, looking forward to Alex - was planning on getting him on both platforms but if he's total ass at least now I won't have to waste FM. Who am I kidding, I played him in 3S, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Really wish they'd just give people the 80k fight money to spend on whatever they want. Giving me Alpha Ryu and Cop Chun isn't really giving me anything I would've bought anyway. I'd rather have Alpha Ken and another costume for some other character I'm more likely to use. *shrug*

Free is free, but it could've been much better for anyone who has no interest in Ryu or Chun.

stages are way better than SFIV. i will forever miss true 2D stages from SNK/Capcom though.

I don't like most of the stages personally. Probably in part due to the 30fps NPCs clogging up the backgrounds. While I'm talking about that, I also wish the backgrounds were less animated or PC had a toggle for 60fps background animations if your setup is capable of running it without dropping frames. :\

Also, I'm left wondering why they didn't just take out the bus/cafe triggered finishes from the Bustling Side Street stage as they didn't continue the concept on any other stages.

So close to gold, but getting hit with RQs. Sprinkle some losses here and there with players at or below my rank and the frustration is at an all-time high.

Whelp, time to get the season pass. Glad to finally read the details on the March Update. Just assume the each subsequent update/character release is at the end of the month.

Pompadour

Well right now even survival doesn't give money offline so I'd assume it will remain like that.

Would be comprehensible if making FM is forever tied to online, regardless of what they implied.

I misspoke. I meant you don't have to play against online opponents to do these challenges. If you can do Versus a human in person you could also just grind out these challenges by plugging in a second controller and wailing on a dummy.

What I'm excited about, beyond all the tutorial stuff to stay fresh and Alex, is how they are gonna incorporate Alex into the fold. Retcons everywhere, but hopefully they make that part about him beating the shit out of Balrog canon.

Well, the blog post did say his accompanying story content (i'm guessing he'll have a story mode on wednesday) will also be added when Alex goes live. Sure, more quickly done Bengus art, but hopefully his story takes him into some interesting directions.

uhhhhhhhh, I absolutely LOVE Bustling Side Street, Hilltop Plaza, and Kanzuki Estate. The music in those stages also help sell them. Lair of the Four Kings is also great, but as purple is my favorite color, that stage just has far, FAR too much of it for my own good.

I misspoke. I meant you don't have to play against online opponents to do these challenges. If you can do Versus a human in person you could also just grind out these challenges by plugging in a second controller and wailing on a dummy.

While as easier as that may be, I'd rather it actually be something of a real challenge in doing than such skustworthy tactics to be able to obtain. I have no qualms about earning my fight money and all can be bought with it in a honest way, provided it's a fair and organic method to do it.

Durden77

Thank GOD they finally spoke about it. I had a feeling we'd get an update today. So glad they didn't wait until NCR, the update in particular needed to be addressed immediately, with or without Alex.

The Zenny shop seems like a mess right now, but they seem to be compensating for it well. My friend will definitely be excited to have Alex for free for a while. And the free costumes are nice. As a season pass holder, the update made me feel like I made a good decision purchasing that even though I never really doubted it. Psyched about the free stage!

I just wish it was this weekend so I could binge while not at work, but oh well. Plus I'm moving next week so I won't have as much time as I'd like to play. But still Looking forward to it a ton.

i'm gonna assume the 2 story mode costumes are for people like myself who didnt get all the FM they should have, hmm, I kinda wanted Chuns outfit so i'm cool with that, would prefer Kens over Ryus though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom