• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dash discussion above made me realize since I got a stick I never dash anymore because of how unnatural it feels for me to do that input. Definitely gotta break that habit.

I have the same problem, and just recently found that using a different grip helped, though I still need to practice dashing more. So it may be worthwhile for you to also explore different grips, and see if something else feels more natural.

If you're fighting ranked players who don't stop pressing buttons, never. It works when people get scared and block.

Yeah, learned that the hard way, lol

With that being said, I really need to find a way to capitalize off of knockdowns with Vega. I can score them pretty consistently, but then I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do after, and usually end up doing nothing.

mbpm1

Yeah, learned that the hard way, lol

With that being said, I really need to find a way to capitalize off of knockdowns with Vega. I can score them pretty consistently, but then I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do after, and usually end up doing nothing.

I only started vega like three days ago but...

My post-knockdown is usually:

-Cr. mk > cr. lp > roll
-Throw
-Command throw
-Nothing
-Shimmy attempts which usually fail.
-Overhead when I remember to use it

Wow... How did you do it? I can't even beat Survival Normal with Cammy and she's my main.

when in doubt, cannon spike. i don't think there are any special rules here. you can fight confidently up to 30-35 with normal jump in or crossup. you can always do meaty jump in combo on knockdown. you can spam cannon spike when you get too much pressure. some characters love to walk into that. you have to keep trying and check videos on youtube. there is no guaranteed win, but i'm sure some people get lucky and make it first try out there, somewhere.....

i just know i'm not one of them.

When's a good time to go for a command grab as Vega? I can never seem to ever properly implement it into my usual Vega play.

If you are playing people who mash buttons, it's not a good idea to ever use it, once you run into a player that blocks a lot, toss it in a couple of times.
It works best after something like cr lp/mp because those leave you + on block, the command grab is 6 frames so it will get beaten by regular throws.

I know for karin st MK, into grab beats her st LP, which is a 4 frame jab, if timed correctly, st LP into grab will beat it too, but it's tough because the timing is strict.
st MP/MK, c MP beats her 5 frame MP 100% of the time and will even beat her 4 frame jab sometimes because of spacing.

Palom

So has anyone here beaten hell survival? If so, how did you do it?

Right now I'm just trying the spam shoryuken Ken thing

Chun-Li is the only character I can play, and I just finished her Hell survival the other day. (I posted the whole run to YouTube, if anyone wants to watch for tips.) I mainly just spammed her V-skill to land cross-ups that opened up combo opportunities. The last 10 stages relied a bit on luck. It took me about 5 or 6 attempts before I finally cleared it, as I kept getting screwed over with a Health Recovery Low supplement. I was also having issues with massive frame-rate drops (on PS4) that would cause me to drop combos, which the CPU would use as an opportunity to destroy me. It seems to be a network thing, because I had one time where the frame-rate dropped down into the teens, and then I got disconnected after the round was over.

I think survival would be a lot more bearable if they removed the Low health supplement and gave Attack/Defense supplements a boost (EG 25%/50%/100% for both instead of 15/30/45 and 20/40/60, respectively). I swear the Low health supplement makes the next opponent more difficult, too. I made it to stage 100 with low HP once, and had to take a Low health supplement, then Ryu parried my first attack and used that to do some elaborate combo that instantly KOed me.

I realized the key to success in this game is no fear. Never be scared to take risks.

Yeah, definitely. My problem is that I'm a little to passive when playing, which is kinda not good, especially for a Vega player. I'm playing casual now just so I can train myself on applying a little more pressure in the neutral game, since I think that's my biggest hurdle at the moment.

I only started vega like three days ago but...

My post-knockdown is usually:

-Cr. mk > cr. lp > roll
-Throw
-Command throw
-Nothing
-Shimmy attempts which usually fail.
-Overhead when I remember to use it

Yeah, my command throw attempts get blown up too..

Might try using that overhead and the combo into the roll. I do love that so may of his clawless normals link into each other.

If you are playing people who mash buttons, it's not a good idea to ever use it, once you run into a player that blocks a lot, toss it in a couple of times.
It works best after something like cr lp/mp because those leave you + on block, the command grab is 6 frames so it will get beaten by regular throws.

I know for karin st MK, into grab beats her st LP, which is a 4 frame jab, if timed correctly, st LP into grab will beat it too, but it's tough because the timing is strict.
st MP/MK, c MP beats her 5 frame MP 100% of the time and will even beat her 4 frame jab sometimes because of spacing.

Ah, thanks, for this! I'll try putting this into practice.

LegendX48

hmm, I've noticed that, sometimes, I can just straight up body someone in a first round, but then I completely change my playstyle for the following rounds and end up losing the match. I have no idea why I do this and it irks me.

Ucchedavāda;199376676 said:
I've found that most bronze Ken's are easy to deal with as long as you just block, anti-air, walk them into the corner, and let them kill themselves. Oh, and never press buttons on their wake-up. Never!

The one's I've fought learn almost instantly to just spam grabs and I never react >.>

I need to play more

Learn your crush counter combos. They're huge damage and very easy to use after a blocked dp.

That's something I really need to work on. I've gotten crush counters in a decent amount of times but have no idea what do when it happens as Laura or Cammy and generally don't follow it up with much of anything.

mbpm1

My vega is becoming less random I think. Right now I'm just focusing on Anti-airs though. I really really like how HP Aeolus Edge is so good but the startup means I really have to be good with reacting with it.

I wanna try and get that down pat even though it's hard and risky. It feels good to hit with and it seems to throw people off when I can actually stop jumps on top of my head with it.

hmm, I've noticed that, sometimes, I can just straight up body someone in a first round, but then I completely change my playstyle for the following rounds and end up losing the match. I have no idea why I do this and it irks me.

No reason to change things up if you're winning. Stay winning!

My vega is becoming less random I think. Right now I'm just focusing on Anti-airs though. I really really like how HP Aeolus Edge is so good but the startup means I really have to be good with reacting with it.

I wanna try and get that down pat even though it's hard and risky. It feels good to hit with and it seems to throw people off when I can actually stop jumps on top of my head with it.

I feel like mastering the timing of that particular anti-air makes the matchup against Chun a little less hopeless.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seeing more and more Nashs that are trying to do the Infiltration-type movement of getting in and out, placing sonic booms and anti-airing and god damn that stuff is hard to beat. Nash has such a good dash and normals with range. You can get them into the corner but then they still have their V-Trigger to get back out. Shit's frustrating.

Worst part is getting hit out of neutral jumps through moonsaults.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't know why I bother with Survival at all anymore. Just ran into a CPU Ryu that decided he wanted to parry my shit 3 times in a row.

50/50's all day

If I don't know what I'm gonna do, how the hell will you know?!

A playstyle to live by.

I imagine this is you playing SFV:

Lmy5P.gif

Tan

Keep getting into Ultra silver and then getting bopped down :(

But progress is progress

Switching to stick has made me lose confidence in my mobility. I still need to get used to it.

f0rk

omfg I'm so pissed at this fucking Ryu I've been banging my head against in battle lounge. All he does is jump in. If I AA him I don't really gain anything, if I miss he gets good damage and a knockdown where he can jump at me again. If I block I don't ever get a turn cos c.mp, c.mp, sweep seems to beat everything

I'm so bad and it's so frustrating losing to someone I feel is worse

mbpm1

omfg I'm so pissed at this fucking Ryu I've been banging my head against in battle lounge. All he does is jump in. If I AA him I don't really gain anything, if I miss he gets good damage and a knockdown where he can jump at me again. If I block I don't ever get a turn cos c.mp, c.mp, sweep seems to beat everything

Who do you play?

Without knowing anything I'd just say if he's really only jumping in why not keep Anti-airing?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Sweeps in this game are very punishable. Who do you play?
One of the best things against jump-ins you can do is walk/dash under. That way you can sometimes get a full combo.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player

Why cant you punish the sweep? Thats free damage

Still looking for a battle lounge if anyone is up to it

f0rk

Who do you play?

Without knowing anything I'd just say if he's really only jumping in why not keep Anti-airing?

Chun

LK does no damage, and if it trades he gets more. And it doesn't really do anything on wake up

I'm still trying :/

Lmao trying out Chun for the first time online and I end up in a mirror match. The guy taunts after stunning me, fair enough. Then proceeds to taunt for the rest of the entire match. One day UmBongo.

Palom

Chun

LK does no damage, and if it trades he gets more. And it doesn't really do anything on wake up

I'm fairly bad at anti-airs, too. I can never get Chun-Li's back-HK to do anything but trade. LK does such little damage, but I've gotten into the habit of dashing forward once I hit with it. A lot of the time, you can dash for a cross-under, and then usually start a combo. I typically LK anti-air, dash under, st.MP, cr.MK, lightning kick.

mbpm1

Chun

After AA lk Chun can dash in and press buttons into a combo IIRC. Actual chun players may be able to explain. It makes it almost never worth it to jump in against a ready chun bc it forces a mixup on the opposing player

rec0ded1

Can't beat anyone online, get so salty.
Turn it off pissed wonder why the fuck I bought it.
Go get some water.
Turn on PS4 and launch it again.

Fuck this game.

SF has been making me salty for 25 years and I love it

f0rk

I just can't do it. I can take 1 game each match and it's always close but once he gets a knockdown and just jumps in my face I can't get anything profitable. And this is with him giving me a 20% combo for free at the start of every round with a tatsu

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't do it. I can take 1 game each match and it's always close but once he gets a knockdown and just jumps in my face I can't get anything profitable. And this is with him giving me a 20% combo for free at the start of every round with a tatsu
Upload some footage

Thanks for this.

np, I had a bit of problem with stMP because it's comboable, so the timing because pretty strict.
For jump ins it's prolly best to jump in with a heavy, st MK, lp/mp grab. st MK isn't comboable and you get a pretty long time to buffer the command.

But ofcourse if they have a 3 frame jab and they mash it, you'll never land it ;P.

edit:

st LP into mp grab will beat karin's 3 frame c LP, problem with this is, st LP only hits standing opponents.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just hit the 50 hour mark. I'm getting more mileage out of the base content than some RPGs lol.
Super bronze seems to be as high as I can get online though.

Ugh just fought someone who had "5 bars" but they would like flit about literally every second. Some things would like hit and then it would update and apparently they hadn't. So frustrating.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
GGs Raging Spaniard. Would've played longer, but I'm hungry. We have a good connection, at least it was on my end.

Yeah nothing noticeable, there where some punishes that you could block so maybe a few frames off? Perfect otherwise.

Regardless, your attacking mentality is great to fight against, all about learning how to block and punish.

Ucchedavāda;199377104 said:
I have the same problem, and just recently found that using a different grip helped, though I still need to practice dashing more. So it may be worthwhile for you to also explore different grips, and see if something else feels more natural.
I use the Vulcan grip (stick between middle and ring finger) most of the time. I switch it to between index and middle from time to time, though.

This stick stuff. XD
SF has been making me salty for 25 years and I love it
lmao

f0rk

Upload some footage

My CFN is f0rk123, can people look at battle lounge games? On PC and not set up to youtube stuff

I don't think footage would be more useful than what you guys have already said because you're all totally right but I'm too flustered to put it into practice right now

Tomorrow's a holiday so I'll play some more, stuff to work on:

wakeup EX.SBK - I never use it even though it's clearly very good

BNBs - I've just about got the cr.lp, s.mp, cr.mk, legs (not sbk yet though) down but need to use it more. Also pretty consistent (although I started missing the initial counter window in the last sets cos I was mad) with cr.hp, legs, cr.lp, sbk as my main punish but could probably use it more rather than sweep.

AA - I was hitting OK with s.LK so I should practice getting the dash in you guys mentioned so I can get on the offense with it.

Being safer, not sweeping so much - Ryu's cr.mp is clearly safe so I should stop pressing buttons after it cos they always hit it or sweep again and counter hit me. I have trouble telling when it's my turn against people that always hit buttons after a jump in and it will get harder when it's not against people that randomly sweep (like me I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom