• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm confused about this CA discussion. The CA itself never scales below 50% of its base damage, no matter the scaling of the combo, is how I understand it. What's the other interpretation you're talking about?

If I do a combo when the enemy is full health even if the scaling's gotten down to 10% for the next move, if the next move is a CA, it'll do 50% damage.

If I do the same combo when the enemy is at half health, the same combo will do less damage because you take less damage when you're at lower health so the scaling gets worse. The CA might do 30-40% damage in a situation where at higher health would have done 50%.

The health scaling is what is affecting it.

joe2187

Banned
Any idea what Alex's premium costume will be?

sf3-2alex-14.png

Also note that Jean Reno is considered a canon capcom character.

So expect him to have Jean Reno as his version of Nadeshiko

I'm confused about this CA discussion. The CA itself never scales below 50% of its base damage, no matter the scaling of the combo, is how I understand it. What's the other interpretation you're talking about?

Yes it does scale, at 38% scaling the super only did 130 damage total (the first hit has less scaling), if it was capped at 50% then it would never drop below 165 damage.

Durden77

I hope the trials are fun

I always enjoyed the combo trials in 4, even though they got really stupid in the later stages.

I'm expecting to enjoy these more because I enjoy the combo system more in this game.

I'm hoping the challenge mode is good. I looks promising for new and intermediate players. That's something this game could really benefit from and that should've been there at launch.

Sweet, I'll have hearthstone dailies and SFV dailies to grind out. Hopefully they bring in the dosh.

The daily challenges unfortunately aren't coming in this update and are still TBD

Doesn't seem like it:

And it's not just a visual thing either, I got it as far down as doing only like 120 damage with the super, that's far below 50%.

SFV employs a the guts system or whatever its called. Basically their is extra scaling when your opponent loses a certain amount of life. When he/she is below 50% every hit you do after that does 90% of its original damage. When he/she is below 25% every hit you do after that does 75% of its original damage. Most supers do 320 damage. So do the math and half of that is 160 and three-fouths of that is 120.

Mupod

I always enjoyed the combo trials in 4, even though they got really stupid in the later stages.

I'm expecting to enjoy these more because I enjoy the combo system more in this game.

I'm hoping the challenge mode is good. I looks promising for new and intermediate players. That's something this game could really benefit from and that should've been there at launch.

The daily challenges unfortunately aren't coming in this update and are still TBD

likewise I hated the ones in 4 but I actually like doing combos in 5. I spend a lot of time just dicking around in training mode so I'm looking forward to these.

daily challenges not being in is disappointing - I really need that excuse for me to boot up the game every day.

likewise I hated the ones in 4 but I actually like doing combos in 5. I spend a lot of time just dicking around in training mode so I'm looking forward to these.
I feel like a big part of that is that combos in general are easier and not as long in this game.

The combos in 4 could easily devolve into "What the fuck is this bullshit" territory quite rapidly.

Whales

Banned

daily challenges not being in is disappointing - I really need that excuse for me to boot up the game every day.

Pretty sure everyone hates sf4 trials because they were full of freaking 1f links

Shit was hard to do, man
It's a blessing that capcom gave us 3f links for this game or else I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I currently do

So with the store releasing in 2 days, does that mean another 7 hours of server maintenance? That basically means a day where I cant play SFV, due to the time-zones involved. On the other hand KI is out tomorrow as well, so I can potentially spend some time with that, instead.

Ucchedavāda;199450532 said:
So with the store releasing in 2 days, does that mean another 7 hours of server maintenance? That basically means a day where I cant play SFV, due to the time-zones involved. On the other hand KI is out tomorrow as well, so I can potentially spend some time with that, instead.
I'd imagine they're adding the infrastructure with this update and "adding an on switch" for march 30th. Most likely, there shouldn't be any need for another server maintenance.

But this is Capcom and it's best to always assume the worst with this company.

Whales

Banned
I'd imagine they're adding the infrastructure with this update and "adding an on switch" for march 30th. Most likely, there shouldn't be any need for another server maintenance.

But then why not just release Alex straight away? Why wait till the 30th to use the switch?

If I do a combo when the enemy is full health even if the scaling's gotten down to 10% for the next move, if the next move is a CA, it'll do 50% damage.

If I do the same combo when the enemy is at half health, the same combo will do less damage because you take less damage when you're at lower health so the scaling gets worse. The CA might do 30-40% damage in a situation where at higher health would have done 50%.

The health scaling is what is affecting it.

So, optimally if you wanna use super, use it at the beginning of round 2? That's kind of what I get out of this.

But then why not just release Alex straight away? Why wait till the 30th to use the switch?

Maybe it's incompetence. Maybe it's a legitimate thing behind the scenes we're not aware of. Maybe they need more time to configure the servers? Who knows.

So, optimally if you wanna use super, use it at the beginning of round 2? That's kind of what I get out of this.
To get "the most" out of it, do it around the beginning of a round or to close out the round. A lot of the asian players do exactly this, I've noticed. Sometimes they'll throw it out in tense situations but if it's a situation they still have control over, then they'll prefer one of those two options.

Durden77

I feel like a big part of that is that combos in general are easier and not as long in this game.

The combos in 4 could easily devolve into "What the fuck is this bullshit" territory quite rapidly.

Indeed. No matter how much time I spent with some of them I just couldn't bring myself to finish a lot of them. Not only were they extremely hard to do, but they got completely extravagant and useless.

Probably making sure everything doesn't explode. The extra day will give them time if it does.

Also they might not be able to release Alex until the PSN store updates which is Tuesday for the US I think.

That's pretty much my line of thought as well. They should be able to get the infrastructure in place today, but probably wont or cant.

Best case scenario is probably that today's patch contains all required functionality, with certain features gated off server-side, and that they just wish to test the built in content delivery system in-the-wild for the next couple of days before releasing Alex.

So basically there's another layer of scaling based on the health of your opponent and that one affects CA no matter what?
It affects ALL damage, not just CA. The math can get tough to do on the spot, you can only give approximations based off experience.

If a move does 100% damage or 100 damage at full health, it'll do like 75% at low health, so 75 damage.

The same principle applies to combos and CAs.
Also they might not be able to release Alex until the PSN store updates which is Tuesday for the US I think.
Don't think that's the issue because I believe patches are not dependent on store updates and Alex will not include any PSN transactions because the Zenny shop will come later.

mattp

Yeah that is unacceptable. They need to have some kind of recovery/continue option in those cases.

i wish they would just change survival to 10-20 matches at a steady difficulty
i dont want 20 easy matches and 10 hard ones. just make it hard from the get go and less matches total
so when i lose, i dont have to fucking redo this mindless string of matches before the hard ones start

Whales

Banned
Maybe it's incompetence. Maybe it's a legitimate thing behind the scenes we're not aware of. Maybe they need more time to configure the servers? Who knows.

To get "the most" out of it, do it around the beginning of a round or to close out the round. A lot of the asian players do exactly this, I've noticed. Sometimes they'll throw it out in tense situations but if it's a situation they still have control over, then they'll prefer one of those two options.

Holy shit this is the first time I see that. LOOL

Well, jopefully you guys are right. And hopefully they don't extend the maintenance. Annd hopefully the servers don't blow up after the maintenance.

Having a 8p gaf lobby would be lit

SFV employs a the guts system or whatever its called. Basically their is extra scaling when your opponent loses a certain amount of life. When he/she is below 50% every hit you do after that does 90% of its original damage. When he/she is below 25% every hit you do after that does 75% of its original damage. Most supers do 320 damage. So do the math and half of that is 160 and three-fouths of that is 120.

Yes, this makes the super cap at 38% damage, it's easier than 50% after other scaling has been applied, especially when saying 50% of base damage, scaled damage isn't base damage.

Also it's more like 95% at 50, 90% at 25 and 75% at 10.

Thanks for the input guys. Found what seems to be a good/cheap site and put the shirt up for sale here. Placement couldn't be perfect, but I think I've got it about as close as can be. Only wish there were more shades of brown available to better match skin tones, but on the flip side they had a lot of options otherwise so I was able to set it as a tank top as well among other options. Might consider making some more shirts in the future since I had a lot of fun making this one.

Anyways, I'm definitely looking forward to the patch tonight. Still a bit disappointed that the RQing problem hasn't been completely fixed yet, but the addition of tutorials/trials is definitely a step in the right direction to get more people on board. Wish the game had shipped in a more complete state like this. Will probably end up in a big lobby with friends tonight and play a ton.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Only just caught the last few matches of the top 8. So gutted by Justin's elimination, he was in complete control... and then he wasn't. FeelsBadMan

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
We don't even have gameplay. Like...they could have just played a match with him on stage or something.

Whales

Banned
We don't even have gameplay. Like...they could have just played a match with him on stage or something.

I actually don't even mind tbh, discovering a new character's moves by yourself is pretty cool

Let everyone try him for free before having to pay with FM/ buying the season pass which is exactly what they're doing.

Yeah but the only reason they're doing that is because zenny isn't working properly :/

Hey Mike Ross, if you're reading this (which you should be) I have a great way for you to start this week's CPTalk.

Say this.

"Last week, we started Capcom Pro Talk fresh off the heels of a premier CPT event in which we saw two legends of street fighter, Tokido and Infiltration, battle it out in the Grand Finals where Infiltration won convincingly.

This week, we're starting Capcom Pro Talk fresh off the heels of a premier CPT event in which we saw two legends of Street Fighter, Tokido and Infiltration, battle it out in the Grand Finals where Infiltration won convincingly."
Yeah but the only reason they're doing that is because zenny isn't working properly :/
Well true but the best way to gauge whether something is worth your money/Fight money is to try it out before buying.

Without advertising the character at all except for a blog post
When you start the game up and you're greeted with a sign saying NEW CHARACTER!! PLAY HIM FOR FREE NOW!!!!

It tends to get people's attention. Though this still isn't the ideal way to go about it, it's something at least.

For all the talk about Alex trailers and whatnot. I defer to Occams Razor on this one. Why no gameplay yet? Why is he coming out later than the march patch? Why is he coming out literally the last possible day in march?

Simple. They aren't done creating him yet. Probably a mad scramble back there whether it be for balancing or whatever else.

Mediking

I fought against my friend today. He's incredibly skilled and was pretty much destroying me. It wasn't until the very last rounds where I started doing Crush Counters on him that I started beating him.

I. Totally. Forgot. Crush. Counters. Existed.

ohkay

For all the talk about Alex trailers and whatnot. I defer to Occams Razor on this one. Why no gameplay yet? Why is he coming out later than the march patch? Why is he coming out literally the last possible day in march?

Simple. They aren't done creating him yet. Probably a mad scramble back there whether it be for balancing or whatever else.
I wouldn't call that Occam's Razor

I fought against my friend today. He's incredibly skilled and was pretty much destroying me. It wasn't until the very last rounds where I started doing Crush Counters on him that I started beating him.

If the only reason you started beating him is that you started using Crush Counters then he must not be very skilled.

Whales

Banned

Yep, optimizing crush counter damage is essential.

A thing I know i'm bad at the meter management. I could go a whole round with a full CA bar and never use it. Then I lose and it all goes to waste.

Same thing for V-trigger, although I like using it after a sweep now to make sure I don't get punished if it gets blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom