• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibuki, El Fuete, Elena, Hakan, Viper, and Gouki can all stay in the abyss of SFIV -_-

I actually have no problem if those guys were in SFV. No way in hell would they get to be anywhere as annoying as they are in SF4. For example Elf's Qbomb will have way more hit stop and a lot less push back. Hell, it might even be more negative on block if Rashid's flying kick move is any indicator. If those characters make it, anybody who plays a Fuerte, Viper, or Ibuki and expects to be able to do what they did in SF4 is in for a rude awakening.

I look forward to Ibuki's spinning kick me being something like -8 on block with no push back.

This is how I feel. 5 just isn't cutting it for me. Granted, I haven't played it very long and I need to go back, but I got two betas worth and 11 or so hours of the final game and it was just.... Slow for me. Boring. Don't really feel the cast either.

Also a very strange gripe: I HATE the blocking sound effect. I don't like the hit sound effect either, but the blocking sound effect drives me crazy.

But 4 started off a very different game than how it ended. Even with Super it changed a lot. It was a super defensive turtle fest in the beginning. Hopefully 5 changes as well.

I actually think SFV is faster because the system favors offense more.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Does Casual only match you based on LP? I stopped playing Ranked entirely after only 2 days, remaining @ 1015 LP. But my (primitive) Bison just went 12-1 in Casual against roughly 1000LP opponents and it was easy, too easy in fact. My one loss was a lag fest. Of course, there are probably tons of really good players who dropped Ranked also so maybe it was just an odd stretch of matchmaking. I usually only do Battle Lounge so that's why I'm asking.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does Casual only match you based on LP? I stopped playing Ranked entirely after only 2 days, remaining @ 1015 LP. But my (primitive) Bison just went 12-1 in Casual against roughly 1000LP opponents and it was easy, too easy in fact. My one loss was a lag fest. Of course, there are probably tons of really good players who dropped Ranked also so maybe it was just an odd stretch of matchmaking. I usually only do Battle Lounge so that's why I'm asking.

Not 100% sure but it seems like it. I have more accurate matchmaking in casual than I do in ranked, lol.

yea, it's based on LP. i think the range is pretty small, like 0-500.

SFV can be just as slow.

Also a much harder to pull off reset that does like 550 damage.
giphy.gif

More Steel Air Reset

Sheroking

I actually think SFV is faster because the system favors offense more.

SFIV had lots of defensive options that SFV doesn't. The ability to do an invincible reversal, cancel it, and retreat to relative safety was a good disincentive for any straight forward oki game. Then there's backdash invincibility, crouch tech, etc. Vortex characters aside, there was actually more neutral game in 4 than there will be in 5.

SFIV could be, and often was, a fast game but it was match-up dependent. I didn't think it's neutral game was ever really that boring at the highest level. It's got a bum wrap, and in the end, it will go down as one of the most important fighting games of all time.

Haters can hold that shit.

I think walkspeeds and jumps are around the same, tho dashes are longer.

None of this has much to do with game speed.

qcf x2

In general, I straight up can't beat him but I use Laura and Cammy.

Close the gap and pressure him. His wake up game and close range anti-air game are pretty weak afaik. Typically, you do not want to mess with Nash at mid range. With that said, once you have ex with Laura you can mess him up when he does a sonic boom by doing ex elbow on reaction. Similarly, once you get V-Trigger with Cammy you can cannon drill through his sonic boom.

More messing around with Crush Counter combos. It looks cool but its not very practical and the inputs for some of the moves are odd. (the light tatsu is performed as if you stood on the left but the following shoryuken is performed as if you were standing on the right).

If i'd spent as much time as this on playing actual matches i'd probably be a better player.

This game is like far from slow, at least on higher levels. Watching top matches had shit happening at way faster speeds than casual matches.

nded

I had a lot of fun with SFIV, but it's been 8 years and SFV is out now. People will probably mellow on SFIV eventually, and I'm sure we'll find plenty to complain about with SFV in the meantime.

Quesa

Do you guys think SF4's Ibuki vortex game would be stronger or weaker in SFV?

I had a lot of fun with SFIV, but it's been 8 years and SFV is out now. People will probably mellow on SFIV eventually, and I'm sure we'll find plenty to complain about with SFV in the meantime.

For some reason I have a hard imagining an SFIV "revival" the way SFII and III have had in past years. Could just be a time thing.

"Do you guys think SF4's Ibuki vortex game would be stronger or weaker in SFV?"

Limited hard knockdown opportunities, 2 wake up timings off throws, 3 off of normal knockdowns.

We've seen some people do some setups that take into account quick rise in SF5, but Ibuki's vortex would not really fit as it was in USF4 (which was weakened) and definitely not SSF4/AE/2012

nded

For some reason I have a hard imagining an SFIV "revival" the way SFII and III have had in past years. Could just be a time thing.

I'm not sure if the word "revival" is appropriate for those two games. SFII always seemed to be strong, and SFIII never really had glory days to revive in the first place.

More messing around with Crush Counter combos. It looks cool but its not very practical and the inputs for some of the moves are odd. (the light tatsu is performed as if you stood on the left but the following shoryuken is performed as if you were standing on the right).

If i'd spent as much time as this on playing actual matches i'd probably be a better player.

I don't know about Ken's, but I lean heavilly on necalli's crush counters. Mostly as whiff dp punishes.
Nothing makes people think twice about shoryuken quite like eating a meterless 33%

Aw man. Was in a ranked match. Up 1/0 and then lost the round in a silly choke. Then I was disconnected. Now they must think I'm a rage quitter
'Then lost to the scribbiest of Ryus. Oh that's frustrating

Quesa

I'm not sure if the word "revival" is appropriate for those two games. SFII always seemed to be strong, and SFIII never really had glory days to revive in the first place.

I'm specifically recalling the anniversary tournament SFII had when when HDR came out, at EVO a couple years back, and the 3S tournaments that happened around Online Edition's release. I'm not sure the nostalgia will be there when the time comes, but again, probably a perspective skewed by time.

I honestly always liked SFIV a lot :/

I still do! But I dunno -- will people have a burning desire to play that game for old time's sake in X years?

This, except swap Hakan for Decapre.
Hakan was an inspired character with a unique gimmick; he just looked ugly because of his dumb barnacle hair. Decapre is just some lame Cammy look-a-like with no standout mechanical concepts to call her own.

I Vastly prefer 4. 4 was fun. It had a fun crazy combo system. I like how a simple light punch lead to a full combo. I love that you could do an FADC and make for fun combos. I like how fun the ultras were. I like how fast paced it was. I also liked having Ultras and Supers. I liked how vibrant and full of life the game and the characters felt. It felt like a celebration of Street Fighter. I love how it had all the modes and online searching. Not to mention it was on pretty much every system including 3DS.
These are the last things that cross my mind when thinking about Street Fighter IV and its combo system (which quickly became mindnumbing in its predictability) has always been tame compared to actual combo-oriented fighters. It didn't feel like older Street Fighters in the slightest to me.

Mostly as whiff dp punishes.
Nothing makes people think twice about shoryuken quite like eating a meterless 33%

I've never thought about using crush counters in that situation. I usually punish a whiffed dp with a shoryuken of my own but your tactic makes much more sense

DRE Fei

I find SF5 to be faster than 4 due to the lack of hard knockdowns. The game is even more about neutral game now. Removal of invincible backdash and crouch tech is making people cry and I love it.

Papercuts

I've never thought about using crush counters in that situation. I usually punish a whiffed dp with a shoryuken of my own but your tactic makes much more sense

I think it's one of the best things you can get in the habit of doing considering how frequent you fight ryu/ken online. Learn a max damage CC to suck the soul out of them each time they try to DP.

ElFly

I have matches every ten minute

wtf this is getting worse. I guess the people keeping an eye on the servers went home for the weekend and stuff just collapsing

Dude, its so easy its pretty much free. In fact, I believe most every character has a crushable special. For instance, Birdie's dive can be crushed on reaction, which I just found out.

Papercuts

Dude, its so easy its pretty much free. In fact, I believe most every character has a crushable special. For instance, Birdie's dive can be crushed on reaction, which I just found out.

On that note, I'm surprised whiffed supers don't lead to a crush counter. Kinda wish they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom