• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheroking

I got matched up with the same Chun played a few days ago 6(!) straight times. Today I've fought 4 of 6 matches against the same Ryu player.

Unacceptable.

The wait for Remy continues...

553a98434aa21808310057d3.jpg

Korezo

Played a set against a Ryu that all he did was jump in do stupidity repeat... I have a problem that I lose bad to people who play dumb, I just start to play stupid just like them and end up always losing. SF always gets me furious.

I feel as if I have hit a wall with Karen. I've been on the cusp of silver for days and I just cannot get up there. I have no idea how to approach a patient Ryu. I played against one several times today that basically just beat me with standing medium punch and fireball. That button is just crazy good.

I feel like to get close to him I have to take some pretty major risks for very little reward. And even when I finally get my first knockdown, I feel like he just doesn't car about my pressure. I might get a throw or crossup or two but as soon as we go back to neutral his buttons just prevent me from really doing anything until he starts throwing plasma again and I have to take risks to get past them again. At this point I feel I'm just relying on him to make mistakes.

Have a similar problem with good Nash players. I try real hard to AA every moonsault I see but eventually I have to block one and then I just have no idea what to do. I have such a hard time dealing with close jump ins it's silly. What AA options should I be using against a Nash that just constantly block-strings into a close jump-in? c.HP goes way too far forward to work and s.HP feels like it gets beat or trades a ton but maybe I'm just mistiming it.

Even when I do get some AA's off, I never really feel like these types of players are incentivised to stop jumping. With Karens low vitality and Nash's high damage I never win the war of attrition. He can eat all the AAs he wants but if I make a mistake twice my lifebar is basically gone.

As far as applying pressure to him, I can do that as long as I can play footsies at my ideal range, until he Vtriggers out which I can barely block let alone punish, or eventually lands a blocked moonsault and then I'm in panic mode again trying desperately to figure out how to get him to stop jumping at me.

Just a frustrating day. Played the same Ultra Silver Ryu and Gold Nash four times each, only won once against the Ryu.

SFIV won't be looked back at fondly. If it ended around arcade edition maybe, but IMO the reason so many of the hardcore were ready to move on was because we all just got "fed up" with ignoring the things we didn't like. At Evo, the counter picking shennanigans like Elena healing. Hitting the lab to learn all the option selects, had to practice one framers all month. To study matchups like Viper or Ibuki just to be able to defend against them halfway decently. It was just starting to get to a point where you sat back and said "this isn't street fighter anymore". Having to guess on wakeup against elf fuete, super setups, unghh...it just got too far away from being honest and truly about two players outsmarting each other.

SFV will get colorful and crazy characters, new stages, crazy outfits, Outlandish characters, and definitely become more complex, I can certainly see new supers and v-triggers for everyone coming next year to add variety.

SephLuis

Honestly, I hit the same wall and I am still at it. And my rank is Super Silver now.

I play Chun in ranked, with Mika and Karin for Casual Matches. A patient Ryu or Nash is killing me because, just like you said, it's difficult to get close and once I can get to there, they either run or end up getting a combo.

Of course, there are matches where I can deal the pressure and read the opponent properly, but I feel those aren't as common as the times I am losing.

For Karin, I have been doing this to get close (Don't remember the name of the attacks):

- qcb+p. This attack isn't safe, but it can pass through fireballs if timed correctly. Also, sometimes the opponent will only guard instead of punish this move, which open for throws of normal setups.

- qcf+k. The Dash. Time it correctly and you will be in their face quick. A throw or a few normal works, but if you want to be safe, use the down + punch follow up which is safe. HOWEVER, if it hits, don't get too greedy as there isn't enough time to combo and I think it leaves you on negative frame advantage, so it's easier for you to take a hit.

- st.mk. This kick hits long. It doesn't combo. It's not fancy. But it's fast and good to keep your opponent at bay. cr.mk is also good and with some wicked reaction time, you can combo off it.

This is what I can gather for now. I am not a Karin main player, so perhaps someone else can give you better tips.

Sheroking

SFIV won't be looked back at fondly. If it ended around arcade edition maybe, but IMO the reason so many of the hardcore were ready to move on was because we all just got "fed up" with ignoring the things we didn't like. At Evo, the counter picking shennanigans like Elena healing. Hitting the lab to learn all the option selects, had to practice one framers all month. To study matchups like Viper or Ibuki just to be able to defend against them halfway decently. It was just starting to get to a point where you sat back and said "this isn't street fighter anymore". Having to guess on wakeup against elf fuete, super setups, unghh...it just got too far away from being honest and truly about two players outsmarting each other.

SFV will get colorful and crazy characters, new stages, crazy outfits, Outlandish characters, and definitely become more complex, I can certainly see new supers and v-triggers for everyone coming next year to add variety.

People were just as tired with 3S, if not moreso, and the last year it was featured at EVO, all five top placements were Chun Li players. Elena never got as obnoxious as 3S Chun, not by a longshot.

3S is remembered fondly by many.

The people who hated 4 were ALWAYS a vocal minority. We were all ready to move on, because it had a long life and it was time for something new. We'll feel that way about SF5 if it's lucky enough to last as long.

mbpm1

Battle Lounges are pretty fun. So are mirror matches. Someone always ends up being the aggressor of the two, but that changes during the match too. The adptatation.

Slaythe

Battle Lounges are pretty fun. So are mirror matches. Someone always ends up being the aggressor of the two, but that changes during the match too. The adptatation.

Not being able to set region preferences means it's beyond dog shit.

and only 1 player, but that's gonna be fixed soon.

they just need to implement a connection quality filter like in kof. that will prevent bad connections from joining. region filter would be worse than that.

mbpm1

Yeah, but when you find the one person who's both around your level and has the 5 bars

Kreygasm

The system itself is kinda R. Mika's CA tho

Why would they keep showing rooms that are full? Why would they show me rooms that no longer exist? Takes me a while to find the right room sometimes.

Relique

I feel as if I have hit a wall with Karen. I've been on the cusp of silver for days and I just cannot get up there. I have no idea how to approach a patient Ryu. I played against one several times today that basically just beat me with standing medium punch and fireball. That button is just crazy good.

I feel like to get close to him I have to take some pretty major risks for very little reward. And even when I finally get my first knockdown, I feel like he just doesn't car about my pressure. I might get a throw or crossup or two but as soon as we go back to neutral his buttons just prevent me from really doing anything until he starts throwing plasma again and I have to take risks to get past them again. At this point I feel I'm just relying on him to make mistakes.

Have a similar problem with good Nash players. I try real hard to AA every moonsault I see but eventually I have to block one and then I just have no idea what to do. I have such a hard time dealing with close jump ins it's silly. What AA options should I be using against a Nash that just constantly block-strings into a close jump-in? c.HP goes way too far forward to work and s.HP feels like it gets beat or trades a ton but maybe I'm just mistiming it.

Even when I do get some AA's off, I never really feel like these types of players are incentivised to stop jumping. With Karens low vitality and Nash's high damage I never win the war of attrition. He can eat all the AAs he wants but if I make a mistake twice my lifebar is basically gone.

As far as applying pressure to him, I can do that as long as I can play footsies at my ideal range, until he Vtriggers out which I can barely block let alone punish, or eventually lands a blocked moonsault and then I'm in panic mode again trying desperately to figure out how to get him to stop jumping at me.

Just a frustrating day. Played the same Ultra Silver Ryu and Gold Nash four times each, only won once against the Ryu.

I am no good at this game but I feel that Karin has an advantage against Ryu. I am assuming that the Ryus you are facing are not throwing fireballs in the midscreen to far range because if they are it's a free easy punish every time. Her jump HK has great range or you can qcb HP which cancels to super.

Up close you have better buttons than they do. You have more range so dance in and out of their st. MK range. You can whiff punish with st. MP or cr. MK buffered into her shoulder. It's a ton of damage on hit and is safe on block (-2). At this range you can also go for max range cr. HK which is very hard to punish and can score a knockdown for you to go in. You also have a way easier time anti airing at this range than they do. If they get frustrated with your buttons and jump your st. HP should shut them down. If you decide to cross them up its more difficult for them to autocorrect dp or time the jab anti air. The only big threat at this range is fireball which is why you should not be dashing at him. If you can bait a fireball and punish you can maybe condition them to block more giving you the freedom to for random shoulders. If they do fireball spam just outside of MK range you can try to walk up close and block it, it's -7 so you should be able to punish or at least start pressure. QCB LP works and so does the EX dash for a full punish.

Renekton

Wait it out or V-Reversal. 90% of Necallis online are trying to do basic frame traps with those stomps. Pressing buttons is the worst thing you can do.
Ya I need to get used to this pressure.

Sometimes I try to back away after waiting it out, he then gets a long poke c.MK, or rushes in to grab.

Vex_

Banned
Man, cammy would be PERFECT if she had a better cross up button. Fuck! The j.lk is ass.

She would seriously be flawless. She is like an easier to play sf4 version of herself. She can actually link almost like she used to as well. If not better!

Dem hit confirms.
Dem footsies.
Dat AA (b+MP)
Dat real AA (fdf+k)
Dat easy confirm into CA
Dat speed
Dat STUN
Dat damage WOW WOW WOW

Neff

100% agree with everything in this post. SFV brought spontaneity and mind games back to SF.

mollipen

SFV will get colorful and crazy characters, new stages, crazy outfits, Outlandish characters

Yuck. I wish SF could stay away from some of that. SFIV's "crazy outfits" we're what finally killed my interest in the game. I just couldn't take seeing those damn animal costumes anymore.

Sheroking

Yuck. I wish SF could stay away from some of that. SFIV's "crazy outfits" we're what finally killed my interest in the game. I just couldn't take seeing those damn animal costumes anymore.

I mean... you could've deleted that compatibility pack and not seen those costumes anymore.

Alucrid

Banned

go play dead or alive last round to build up tolerance then come back to sfv

Edgeward

I'm glad for IV because it amde me take fighting games seriously but as it went on, I became to resent it. Dealing with all the set-ups, ambiguous cross-ups, option selects, invincible backdashes, moves and FADC combos was aggravating by the end. Not to mention the netcode was less than stellar so you felt when games were underwater and you were fighting the game to hit your combos on top of the tight links.

V is a better representation of what I want in a fighting game. Less execution barrier, high damage, footsies and you are more rewarded for making good reads.

I know extra costumes for 3D models supposed to be a plus, but 2D sprite/handrawn games really do win in a way for having static designs that are rarely changed. It adds a sort of enduring quality to characters when you don't have to worry about fighting Sol-Badguy in a chicken suit or Phoenix in a bikini.

Two things that i want to touch on, that makes it seem like Capcom is listening in a smaller and bigger way.

One: The tutorials. They might not cover everything. They might not even cover shit like option selects and what have you, but damn is this a good idea. Other games have been doing it so long, that it'll definitely help SF players get better and up to speed quicker. I really hope they continue to focus on helping people develop and enter without too much fear of being overwhelmed.

Two: On a much lesser note, the mythos of the game is much tighter. Karin's grandfather fighting Oro (explaining why she's good), the character interactions (even shit like Charlie and Ryu), and hopefully Necalli show some good promise in the story category.

I'm not expecting a high level overview like FF or anything, but the amount of plot pulled from artbooks and shit that gets left out finally feels like it's going to be included here.

Hard to read what doesn't think.

I fought a Birdie that tried to do whatever he wanted and bopped him. If you toss out stupid shit, you get hit, even more so as Birdie. And it's so easy to goad them into wasting super on a CA or pop them out of a vskill move.

stn

Her v dash needs to go through projectiles.
IMO, I respectfully disagree. Almost every character in the game so far has a way around projectiles. Even Zangief has tools to get around them. Projectiles are pretty decent but definitely not the be-all-end-all. Not to mention I think it would be boring if we had yet another character with a anti-projectile move.

ElFly

You can view them in your Fighter Profile

OK so maybe I am the stupid one.

Two things that i want to touch on, that makes it seem like Capcom is listening in a smaller and bigger way.

One: The tutorials. They might not cover everything. They might not even cover shit like option selects and what have you, but damn is this a good idea. Other games have been doing it so long, that it'll definitely help SF players get better and up to speed quicker. I really hope they continue to focus on helping people develop and enter without too much fear of being overwhelmed.

I am not expecting them to explain option selects since they are going out of their way to eliminate them as far as possible. I think in the end all that will remain is negative edge OSs and basic stuff like that.

Yo, I love that gimmick that I stole from Daigo so much. Dash in, dash out, and punish the whiff throw.This has practically won me some matches and helped me come back or build a bigger lead in many matches. If my opponent isn't throw tech'ing, I'll condition them to by doing dash in throws. I go for the low risk version though which is low forward > EX fireball. But yeah, I can see myself doing this shit for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom