• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to get upset, I'm trying to figure the character out and I'm just saying that's what I noticed personally in my time playing him. I'm not trying to dismiss him and I'm down for some tips if you have them. I know he has some moves that can get him close, but they mostly seemed unsafe to me.
Nothing personal against you for the record, but it just bugs me when people are so quick to proclaim "x / y character is so weak!" in a very balanced fighting game rather than looking at what they have at their disposal. It's such a defeatist mentality that's been prevalent in this thread.

I'm calling BS on Claw being A+
No, it makes sense for him to be that high.

Fastest walk speed in the game, good range on his normals, does respectable damage, his V-Trigger controls the entire screen space while easily leading to losing roughly 50% of your health bar with a full CA bar, said V-Trigger is also entirely safe unless he ends up in the corner, he has a good mix-up game up-close with his stance swapping (and subsequently the command grab when you're still in block stun), a strong V-Reversal for punishing et cetera. His only truly glaring weaknesses are a lack of convenient anti-airs and his V-Skill being borderline worthless. I'd mention him easily being pressured in the corner too, but that's a universal rule-of-thumb regardless of which fighting game you're playing, on top of at least half the cast in Street Fighter V suffering from that 'issue' too.

I don't get how KI has quicker ranked matchmaking than V. Are there more people playing the KI or is the matchmaking in V just booty?
They just never fixed current matchmaking to be as fast as the matchmaking algorithm from the closed betas, even when there were over 100 000+ players on launch.

Alex being a charge character, would mean the second dlc character wont be be a charge character no? I mean some people don't like charge characters. Maybe this has already been said but yeah. Hope it's true tho. Would be kind of boring if we already knew in which order the dlc characters will release

(Just my simple thinking about the dlc release schedule, not a fact)

jeemer

Here's something that's puzzling me. Bison's ex head stomp. In this game it seems difficult to properly punish a whiffed ex head stomp. I can consistently backdash to make them whiff as per SFIV, but I never get a decent punish from it.

I've looked in the v frames and google docs app, but both have nothing listed under startup or recovery for this move? What gives? How fast does it recover? I feel like one of these whiffing should be ripe for a crush counter combo.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Hi, I made an Alex basics video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJO_4-rC200

Really enjoying the character so far.

That really is a great video, man. There are a lot flying around at the moment for Alex but this is the one i'm going to reference!

Alex is fun but since I STILL can't play charge characters I keep forgetting to hold the charge for elbow. Hopefully he will help me finally get to grips with charge moves.

mbpm1

Here's something that's puzzling me. Bison's ex head stomp. In this game it seems difficult to properly punish a whiffed ex head stomp. I can consistently backdash to make them whiff as per SFIV, but I never get a decent punish from it.

I've looked in the v frames and google docs app, but both have nothing listed under startup or recovery for this move? What gives? How fast does it recover? I feel like one of these whiffing should be ripe for a crush counter combo.

Crush counters are typically only for invincible moves, which is why Laura's random hp bolt or random Nash Genocide cutter won't get crush counter punished on whiff

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can't do Ryu's last trial. The V-Trigger never combos into the back HK for me. What am I doing wrong?

LakeEarth

Hi, I made an Alex basics video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJO_4-rC200

Really enjoying the character so far.

Good video. Weird that it says "command grab ends pressure" and proceeds to show several meaty setups after command grab.

I want to main him, but I feel like I need to put in a ton of lab time to get as proficient with him as I am with Karin.

Getting in is definitely a problem. The video I quoted showed that s.lk xx EX chop was a good counter poke, which could be very useful for footsies.

Masaki_

Good video. Weird that it says "command grab ends pressure" and proceeds to show several meaty setups after command grab.

I just don't think it's "real" pressure. Alex is too far and the opponent can just block.

I forgot to test if meaty stomp is a viable oki option, maybe it can make it into an updated version of the video.

Marz

Stop torturing yourself. The mode sucks. Just pretend you only have three color options per character. Capcom has to fix it somehow.

Still can't believe they thought this was a suitable replacement for arcade mode and forced people to play it for simple color options. I really doubt survival is ever played that much in fighters unless you're somehow forced to for stuff. I hate jumping through ridiculous hoops to unlock trivial stuff, but this wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they just put the colors behind arcade mode of various difficulties. At least you'd have a reasonable chance via retries. Most people will never realistically have more than 3 colors to choose from like this. If their solution ends up being paying real money for them, I wouldn't fault anyone for getting so pissed off they quit the game. I like the game itself, but this nonsense is so stupid and irritates me so much, I have very little desire to play it right now.

Sorry if I'm a broken record on this. It's just such batshit crazy design, I can't get over it.

People quitting over colors. Thats a new one.

Alex being a charge character, would mean the second dlc character wont be be a charge character no? I mean some people don't like charge characters. Maybe this has already been said but yeah. Hope it's true tho. Would be kind of boring if we already knew in which order the dlc characters will release

(Just my simple thinking about the dlc release schedule, not a fact)
I can't see them change either Balrog or Guile into a motion character. They already have a motion-based boxer with Dudley, and Guile has been the de facto charge character for ages with his overall playstyle also being suited for it. Urien will probably be changed instead, if I were to guess.

vg260

People quitting over colors. Thats a new one.

Casual or beginning players given how little/bad the single player content is and how inane the requirements are, yeah. Even if not necessarily casual, if I'm deciding to spend my limited time with this or other games, it's an aspect I enjoy, and Capcom's showing so little respect to players' time on top of all the games many issues, yeah, I'm going to consider shelving this for a while for a game that doesn't piss me off. But note I said, if their solution ends up being paying real money for them. That would be seen as a very customer unfriendly move and they don't have a lot of good will to spare. IF that's the breaking point for someone not heavily invested already, I get would it.

I found some interesting SFV concept art pieces while browsing through Facebook. You can find the rest here.

12809724_983449801703223_3599243364863457104_n.jpg
12417736_983449871703216_1400523305306959109_n.jpg
934139_983449955036541_8105778223340662805_n.jpg
12512750_983450141703189_2458994536456577656_n.jpg
12936519_983450661703137_7505960246033277079_n.jpg

12801675_983450475036489_6300206042240379230_n.jpg
12376641_983450275036509_2858104426370537776_n.jpg
12928247_983449258369944_9151092546624313622_n.jpg
12321691_983450745036462_8881796104906438618_n.jpg
12524234_983449525036584_2872197783005851682_n.jpg

yoooo SF1 we in there. i'd be mad hype if they brought back the unused OG cast reimagined. never realized until now that Ryu, Ken & Birdie were the only original characters that made it into SFV.

LakeEarth

I just don't think it's "real" pressure. Alex is too far and the opponent can just block.

I forgot to test if meaty stomp is a viable oki option, maybe it can make it into an updated version of the video.

It's true, if they high block the s.HK or the light elbow, Alex is negative and lost his turn.

Medium stomp also connects after a forward/command throw, but again, blocking high works, and the stomps are even more punishable than the first two options.

Medium stungun headbutt will reach and beat block, but it's a pretty big risk.

EDIT - actually, if they high block, they'll just walk backwards and the medium stungun will whiff. I've caught people doing this with heavy stungun before though.

Pejo

Question for you guys: I'm deciding to take a break from Necalli for a bit just to try someone with a different playstyle, and I'm trying to decide between Nash and Laura. Which is the easier character to get into? I finished out both of their trials, and Nash seems to have higher execution requirements, but a lot more top end. I mean don't get me wrong, I suck all the way around, but I just need something to break up those 5-6 loss streaks with Necalli every now and then.

Also, can anyone recommend a PC compatible 6 button fight pad (preferably with 2 shoulders)? I'm really getting frustrated with my DS4 and the shoulder buttons mapped to light, makes teching and performing throws almost impossible. It's really starting to become a pain point.

Whales

Banned
I just noticed that Ken's hair clips pretty badly when you select him on the 2p side... it's funny lol

I still can't get over how capcom cant do hair properly in this game

Shito

Question for you guys: I'm deciding to take a break from Necalli for a bit just to try someone with a different playstyle, and I'm trying to decide between Nash and Laura. Which is the easier character to get into? I finished out both of their trials, and Nash seems to have higher execution requirements, but a lot more top end. I mean don't get me wrong, I suck all the way around, but I just need something to break up those 5-6 loss streaks with Necalli every now and then.

Also, can anyone recommend a PC compatible 6 button fight pad (preferably with 2 shoulders)? I'm really getting frustrated with my DS4 and the shoulder buttons mapped to light, makes teching and performing throws almost impossible. It's really starting to become a pain point.
I would say Laura is a bit more complicated to play than Nash: her execution may seem simple, but she relies a lot on tight frame traps and vdash cancelling, as well as hard reads and conditioning.
It really all depends on what playstyle you prefer: Nash is more straight-forward and solid all around, allowing you to play reactively to your opponent, while Laura asks of you that you play an offensive and mix-up game, trying to get into your opponent's head.

LakeEarth

I just noticed that Ken's hair clips pretty badly when you select him on the 2p side... it's funny lol

I still can't get over how capcom cant do hair properly in this game

Yeah, it looks like he has a banana embedded into his collar bone.

Nothing will outdo Birdie's chain/necklace clipping on the VS screen. The idle animation causes the two to pass each other over and over again. It's been a problem since beta #1.

Pejo

I would say Laura is a bit more complicated to play than Nash: her execution may seem simple, but she relies a lot on tight frame traps and vdash cancelling, as well as hard reads and conditioning.
It really all depends on what playstyle you prefer: Nash is more straight-forward and solid all around, allowing you to play reactively to your opponent, while Laura asks of you that you play an offensive and mix-up game, trying to get into your opponent's head.

Thanks! I'll stick to Nash for a while then. I need to go look up some BnBs.

What're the chances of there being dlc music? >_>

I'd love to rock out to some Kobu while playing as Ryu.
This year? A bit unlikely.

But it's certainly a possibility in the game's life. Capcom can still get by with the money being made from the game's retail/digital sales but eventually those will start to dry up and their source of income from this game will be DLC.

So they need to make sure there's a shit tonne of it.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yeah, it looks like he has a banana embedded into his collar bone.

Nothing will outdo Birdie's chain/necklace clipping on the VS screen. The idle animation causes the two to pass each other over and over again. It's been a problem since beta #1.

Kind of stupid no one bothered to fix it.

goddamn, why do i run into mashed srk for 2 matches. i will never learn.

btw, whats's up with this weird lobby matchmaking? every time i create a 3player lobby, 1-2 players rush in. now if only 1 player comes in, there is a 90% chance that 3rd slot will never be filled as long as the lobby persists. so you either have a full lobby right away or you'll wait an eternity.

LakeEarth

So lemme get this straight with frame data. If something's plus on block, it's safe, minus it's unsafe?

The more plus it is, the more frames there are where you can move before they can.

The more negative, the more frames they have to move before you can.

The term "unsafe" is a little more complex than that. If something is -3, it is unsafe against a character with a 3 frame jab but safe against someone who doesn't. Then again, it can be safe regardless if the move "pushes" your opponent so far away that their 3-frame move can't reach (which is why people say things like "safe if spaced properly").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom