• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

Negative edge can be annoying. If it were an option, I would disable it.

Anyone find a good use for Alex's dive? I know it's supposed to help get around fireballs, but you have to already be in the air to really get some use out of it.

Negative edge can be annoying. If it were an option, I would disable it.

Anyone find a good use for Alex's dive? I know it's supposed to help get around fireballs, but you have to already be in the air to really get some use out of it.
Problem is that some moves are dependent on it. Things like Birdie's bullhorn or Ryu's V-Trigger fireball. I wouldn't really see us getting an option to turn it off anytime soon.

LakeEarth

Problem is that some moves are dependent on it. Things like Birdie's bullhorn or Ryu's V-Trigger fireball. I wouldn't really see us getting an option to turn it off anytime soon.

Well I'd assume that they'd program it so that moves which require button charging would be made an exception.

SFxT had a gem that would disable all shortcuts and IIRC negative edging, but I don't remember if that game had moves that required button holds.

Well I'd assume that they'd program it so that moves which require button charging would be made an exception.

SFxT had a gem that would disable all shortcuts and IIRC negative edging, but I don't remember if that game had moves that required button holds.
Well, I guess it's possible. Probably not high on their priority list I suppose.
What do those have to do with negative edge?
The game suddenly not having negative edge would make those things a bit harder for some people, particularly new players. Which is why they'd probably want to keep the controls the same way for everyone.

EDIT: I am wrong.

Poor Mika player i was getting bodied i fucked up and let her in, in the corner going fuck you, then player made a mistake i was waiting for, I am using Rashid, Mika jumped and she ate my CA so fucking glorious...

ElFly

Negative edge is similar but not the same as press-and-hold-and-release moves.

Negative edge only replaces a button press with a button release, to make it easier to combo some stuff (I suspect that a lot of people's cancels would stop working without negative edge).

Ryu's V-trigger fireball would not be affected, as neither would Birdie's move.

FluxWaveZ

The game suddenly not having negative edge would make those things a bit harder for some people, particularly new players. Which is why they'd probably want to keep the controls the same way for everyone.

But aren't Bullhorn or Ryu's V-Trigger fireballs not Negative Edge examples? One is a move that just requires holding buttons and releasing without any directional input. The other is just the same as a normal Hadoken, but you can hold the button to charge it. I'm not too sure how either of these apply to Negative Edge, or how they'd be affected if Negative Edge was turned off?

Yeah, as stated above, input for those moves wouldn't change whatsoever if NE was disabled.

Negative edge is similar but not the same as press-and-hold-and-release moves.

Negative edge only replaces a button press with a button release, to make it easier to combo some stuff (I suspect that a lot of people's cancels would stop working without negative edge).

Ryu's V-trigger fireball would not be affected, as neither would Birdie's move.
Oh ok, I was a bit confused on that. Thanks for clearing it up.
But aren't Bullhorn or Ryu's V-Trigger fireballs not Negative Edge examples? One is a move that just requires holding buttons and releasing without any directional input. The other is just the same as a normal Hadoken, but you can hold the button to charge it. I'm not too sure how either of these apply to Negative Edge, or how they'd be affected if Negative Edge was turned off?
Yeah, I was wrong. I misunderstood exactly what negative edge is.

What's your fighter ID? Always looking for other Karins to watch replays of to learn from.

It's Launchpad-McRoss on PS4 and LaunchpadMcRoss on PC. I play on one or the other depending on whether there is a tournament coming. I'm ok at the game but if you have any Karin questions I'd try my best to help.

LakeEarth

You didn't try it? It feels like Ryu st. jab as far as aa's go

I've mained Birdie and Rashid for the first month of SF5 so d.mp has been engrained into my anti-air memory. Gotta shake that off, but it shouldn't take too long.

It'll be a good thing, since I'm also looking into Necalli who's s.lp is also a good antiair. also like Alex, I keep using d.hp for antiair which is okay but is slower and doesn't do well against close jumps.

I feel like the Mika hate is really overblown, and I hope they don't excessively nerf her over some loud complainers. She's not shit but she's certainly not the best, and she still has to work. I also feel like people overestimate how much damage she's actually doing solely because her animations tend to be much longer than other people's - like a passion rope throw on it's own does little damage but takes like 6 seconds to finish so I feel like people assume more bad is happening than actually is.

When did Capcom announce there was gonna be an update/a patch this month? Did I miss anything?

I mean, sure, we are going to get a new character, but did they say we would get an update as well?

There was content that did not release in the March Update that was originally slated to that should be arriving sometime soon. This content includes Event Battles, Daily Challenges, & the Zenny store.

A new character is the perfect opportunity to introduce a new update.

There was content that did not release in the March Update that was originally slated to that should be arriving sometime soon. This content includes Event Battles, Daily Challenges, & the Zenny store.

Yeah I'm still expecting Zenny to launch before the next character update, although I'm not convinced that update will be April seeing how late they left Alex.

What are event battles? I didn't know about those.

I feel like the Mika hate is really overblown, and I hope they don't excessively nerf her over some loud complainers. She's not shit but she's certainly not the best, and she still has to work. I also feel like people overestimate how much damage she's actually doing solely because her animations tend to be much longer than other people's - like a passion rope throw on it's own does little damage but takes like 6 seconds to finish so I feel like people assume more bad is happening than actually is.

Nobody wants their main character to get nerfed. Even Chun players are resorting to just saying their character has a high execution level as an excuse for her BS lol.

As for Mika.. after she hits a single fwd.MP it's pretty much a single player game of russian roulette lol.

I try not to complain about characters too much
on here
, but apart from the walking rock/paper/scissors game that she is, I think the biggest "But...why?" tools that she has are her cr.HP being -4 at worst and her fwd.HP being +3 on block so if she guesses wrong that you were trying to jump or press a button it's still her turn to continue pressing buttons

FluxWaveZ

She will have 850 health

It's already hard enough to play a character who revolves around taking big risks without an HP safety net; that'd be insane.

So much complaining about Mika, I await the day that more people start playing Laura. Mika needs that corner, but Laura can fucking zap all around you mid-screen after a single hit and you're dead.

Actually, I now wonder if Laura would fit my playstyle more. Hm.

Nobody wants their main character to get nerfed. Even Chun players are resorting to just saying their character has a high execution level as an excuse for her BS lol.

As for Mika.. after she hits a single fwd.MP it's pretty much a single player game of russian roulette lol.

on here
, but apart from the walking rock/paper/scissors game that she is, I think the biggest "But...why?" tools that she has are her cr.HP being -4 at worst and her fwd.HP being +3 on block so if she guesses wrong that you were trying to jump or press a button it's still her turn to continue pressing buttons
So do you think there are some subtle nerfs like that that could be made without her losing her... uniqueness? :p

tariniel

Battle lounge for learning a new alt character is really funny. This keeps happening:

- Start battle lounge with 2 players, "Alternate character practice is allowed"
- I pick my level 13 Vega, less than 20 games played with him
- Opponent picks their alt
- Have a close and fun game
- If I won, they pick their main, body me, and then leave

As if to spite me for winning with my alt. Every time it happens it just makes me laugh. My Vega is ass anyways and I don't even care about being bodied and would stick around, but they probably feel like they proved a point or something.

mbpm1

It's already hard enough to play a character who revolves around taking big risks without an HP safety net; that'd be insane.

I know. It'll be terrible but I could still see it happening or something like it.

So much complaining about Mika, I await the day that more people start playing Laura. Mika needs that corner, but Laura can fucking zap all around you mid-screen after a single hit and you're dead.

You played Count so you know what she'll feel like

Mediking

Instead of Mika... the attention should be on Ken players online.

Just kidding....sorta

Shito

on here
Well, I mean, if you go that way: what does she have left if you take away her tools once she finally gets in and gets the corner pressure?
Stop looking at the 50/50 situation and start wondering how you let her get into that situation in the first place; it's not like she's winning majors or anything, she has big weaknesses that one can exploit to shut her out.

They are two sides of the same coin, that's why I main Laura but enjoy having a pocket Mika to mix-up the fun from time to time. ^^

Relevant: Luffy and Cuongster having some matches right now.
https://www.twitch.tv/meltyesportclub

Scarced

Neo Member
How bad of a habit is it to mash out links for combos? Like is it crippling enough that i as a new player should focus on nailing the links perfectly in training rather than just getting combos any way possible?

So do you think there are some subtle nerfs like that that could be made without her losing her... uniqueness? :p

I think you can slightly change her while keeping her mostly intact. Just change some of the frame advantage on the normals I talked about so when she guesses wrong on the Rock/Paper/Scissors she loses her turn. It's like you chose Rock against Mika's scissors and she cut through them anyway.

Her V-Trigger has legit unblockables which is well.. yea

How bad of a habit is it to mash out links for combos? Like is it crippling enough that i as a new player should focus on nailing the links perfectly in training rather than just getting combos any way possible?
As someone who just recently started learning links I would say it's important to get the timing right because mashing can give you less time to input more complex moves. Just imo
I think you can slightly change her while keeping her mostly intact. Just change some of the frame advantage on the normals I talked about so when she guesses wrong on the Rock/Paper/Scissors she loses her turn. It's like you chose Rock against Mika's scissors and she cut through them anyway.

I think I'd be ok with that, I just don't want them to remove her chains because they're kinda what makes it fun. You really get the payoff when you get in on them or trap them in the corner. Still tho. :p

LakeEarth

The V-trigger unblockables have to go. And whatever they have to do to make those go away will likely involve nerfing something else.

You should absolutely learn the correct timing. Especially if you want to take your game farther, you will need proper timing for advanced tech like confirming. Mashing would make this very difficult I think.

Xeteh

I just ignore it. There's something about people who will just go all about how X character is bullshit just comes off as people not wanting to learn how to handle it and just blame a perceived imbalance. There's so little point to discussing it because of how stubbornly insistent people get over it.

It is a bad habit. I'm really bad about mashing things out and while I did the character trials it made a lot of them harder than it needed to be. Ken's 10th showed me that I had to break the combo down and figure it out because mashing it would never happen without some crazy luck.

LakeEarth

I just ignore it. There's something about people who will just go all about how X character is bullshit just comes off as people not wanting to learn how to handle it and just blame a perceived imbalance. There's so little point to discussing it because of how stubbornly insistent people get over it.

Agreed.

Yun was still bullshit though.

As much as I rather wish the 2/3 ranked match option would be mandatory, there are some good reasons for it to be optional. If you're running thru Survival with the ranked/casual match request gimmick, you may just want to hurry back and get thru to completing that mess, cuz it's time consuming enough as is and fighting 2-3 match during every time you save or whatever, doubles to triples your time there. THe matter of a suspect connection being found throught the first match, you'd likely not want to go through with another couple sets like that, especially when league points are on the line. There's also the matter if you're just pressed for time and need to be getting off and simply don't have time to complete more matches. Lastly, you get matched up with someone far too ranked below you, you may not want to have to run another bout with them for the amount of potential net loss you get, even if you win the full set, but just loss 1 match.

I think the issue with Mika is just that she has so many options that have little risk and giant reward. You can spend an entire match keeping the dropkick at bay but if she hits one then it's a dice roll until you can escape again. I don't think she's broken or anything but it can be a right bitch to fight.

FluxWaveZ

I think the issue with Mika is just that she has so many options that have little risk and giant reward. You can spend an entire match keeping the dropkick at bay but if she hits one then it's a dice roll until you can escape again. I don't think she's broken or anything but it can be a right bitch to fight.

Name one.

Well, I mean, if you go that way: what does she have left if you take away her tools once she finally gets in and gets the corner pressure?
Stop looking at the 50/50 situation and start wondering how you let her get into that situation in the first place; it's not like she's winning majors or anything, she has big weaknesses that one can exploit to shut her out.
I understand the weaknesses of the character as well. I was focusing on the 50/50 situation because that might be the reason why so many players hate going against which was the purpose of that article posted.

Mika has many ways to get herself into that position.. mostly just hitting a single Fwd. MP and getting the party started.

Look how far Marn made it in NCR just by hitting a single fwd. MP. Against some players he was literally doing it over and over and over until it hit once and then put them into the corner and took the round/match lol.

Another design decision I don't understand is her V-Reversal leaving her at +2. While her defense is bad, when she gets one of these off she gets the knockdown and is back to the rock/paper/scissors game. You pretty much get punished for being over aggressive on her. It should be 0 at best after she hits a V-Reversal.

I mean look at this. He got hit by a single wakeup jab and gg

Lag and time are sometimes a factor. But fear is most certainly always one.

You really don't know that though. If someone beats you cleanly and chooses not to rematch you, is it really fear? Do you know what's happening on the other side of the screen? No. And this is coming from someone that typically chooses rematch regardless of the result, except in rare fashions of the two moments of time sensitivity that I mentioned above.

Name one.

Upon reflection, my wording was poor. It's not little risk but just things which are difficult to punish efficiently. Like the dropkick and the f.HP. Like I say, I think she's fine as is, just annoying. But it could just be that I'm not good enough in the MU yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom