• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are event battles? I didn't know about those.

Sorry, they aren't called Event Battles. They're called Extra Battles. We do know they feature combatants that are more than just the normal roster of characters. Back at launch, it was described as beating 'bosses' for in-game rewards. Here is a screenshot of the mode. The daily challenges are called 'Targets' btw.

http://www.eventhubs.com/imagegallery/2016/feb/12/additional-street-fighter-5-game-modes-info-other-game-modes/1/

Yeah I'm still expecting Zenny to launch before the next character update, although I'm not convinced that update will be April seeing how late they left Alex.

I don't think Alex had anything to do with why it launched so late. In fact, in my professional opinion, I feel all of the DLC characters are content complete. At this point, they probably need to go through some localization. Considering many of the characters already have voice actors in the story prologues for other characters, I imagine almost all of their production is complete. Heck, back in December, we had reports of people being able to play Boxer behind closed doors, which led everyone to believe he'd be the 1st dlc character in March, until Capcom told us it'd be Alex.

The zenny store seems to be what held up March. Now that they've implemented a system to divorce content delivery from the zenny store's implementation, I think the character DLC schedule will probably go back to normal. The other features that have yet to be implemented - who knows when those will launch.

Trickster

Seriously what is up with the shitty bug where you don't get a rematch option? Just sat for like a minute after a match where I couldn't do anything, and then it just finally pop up with the Results Menu, and skips the rematch option

Xeteh

So I'm starting to realize where the bulk of my input problems stem from. I'm inputting a button before I finish a quarter circle b/f input. I bought Karin's story outfit and I'm going through normal and I noticed its why I sometimes fuck up tenko in combos.

This is going to be a hard problem to fix for me.

LakeEarth

Seriously what is up with the shitty bug where you don't get a rematch option? Just sat for like a minute after a match where I couldn't do anything, and then it just finally pop up with the Results Menu, and skips the rematch option

I've had that happen to me too. Though I can't confirm, I think the bug keeps you frozen in that state until one of you quits the game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe we live in a world so unjust that our lord and savior Mika gets hated on but Laura walks this earth scot-free. Shit aint right.

mbpm1

Someone might have ragequit ? idk

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Laura can lick both of my balls thoroughly. I hate fighting her more than any other character.

I think Sim might still have that spot because a good Sim is literally impossible for me, but yeah Laura's probably second. FANG is up there too though but no one plays him. I can't imagine he's anything other than dead last in terms of matches played. Over hundreds of matches I don't think I've fought more than 10 FANGs.

qcf x2

Oh no don't worry in a game meant to be more honest both mika and laura have zero place in and need to be removed. :p

What's dishonest about Laura's play? If you know how to block a side switch and you're on point with your tech throws you shouldn't have much of a problem. If she was on the same level of silliness as Mika she'd be used a lot more.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
What's dishonest about Laura's play? If you know how to block a side switch and you're on point with your tech throws you shouldn't have much of a problem. If she was on the same level of silliness as Mika she'd be used a lot more.

Wat. I can tell you for a fact I've seen way more Lauras than Mikas online. Probably about 2:1.

I don't think Alex had anything to do with why it launched so late. In fact, in my professional opinion, I feel all of the DLC characters are content complete. At this point, they probably need to go through some localization. Considering many of the characters already have voice actors in the story prologues for other characters, I imagine almost all of their production is complete. Heck, back in December, we had reports of people being able to play Boxer behind closed doors, which led everyone to believe he'd be the 1st dlc character in March, until Capcom told us it'd be Alex.

The zenny store seems to be what held up March. Now that they've implemented a system to divorce content delivery from the zenny store's implementation, I think the character DLC schedule will probably go back to normal. The other features that have yet to be implemented - who knows when those will launch.

I'd not expect to see the DLC character for April until the week of the 25th.

qcf x2

How many people play Mika compared to how many people play Laura? Because if we're going by the community aggregation, more people use Laura on higher levels of play online.

I have also anecdotally encountered far more Lauras than Mikas.

I saw like one Laura in the 2 pro events I've seen so far. As far as online, I think in the first 2 weeks she was probably a top 5 character as far as usage, and people thought she was going to be a nightmare to deal with. Now I rarely see people use her, and if they do they are average or worse. The data you linked was last updated a month ago, which I think falls in my 2 week (or just outside of it) range... basically when Laura was the hot item and people thought Mika was bottom tier.

FluxWaveZ

The data you linked was last updated a month ago, which I think falls in my 2 week (or just outside of it) range... basically when Laura was the hot item and people thought Mika was bottom tier.

?

The data I linked was updated 3 days ago.

Edit: Oh wait, I guess that might not apply to the number of total matches, which might not have been updated. If we look at the top 500:

- The number of Lauras is 20.
- The number of Mikas is 21.

Shito

Mika is basically a 'one hit to death' character. She touches you once, and you're basically screwed.
She's really not.
She has to be right 2 to 4 times after that depending on your life.
People need to stop exaggerating about her, this is getting absurd. ^^

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Mika is basically a 'one hit to death' character. She touches you once, and you're basically screwed.

Yeah that isn't actually true at all. Even in that Tokido clip that's hot right now you can point to several mistakes Tokido made, as well as Fuudo's near-flawless play that us plebs will not be able to replicate, that makes that situation HIGHLY abnormal.

Sheroking

I wish I could make a longer post but gotta run soon. Keep your anti-airs on point, S. mk is your best tool in the midrange, helps keep her at bay. A lot of what Karin does isn't safe, jab into lp slash can punish quite a bit of what she does, doesn't do much damage, but adds up, makes her think twice about throwing stuff out. Learn the variations of her moves, and react accordingly to them. Most Karin's I have played only use their meter on critical arts or dp, when you knock her down, mix her up, and try to bait out the dp, then punish.

Huh?

The only thing Karin players might do that's unsafe on a regular basis is sweep. Every button she has and would use on block is either -2 or cancels into Orochi, which is -2. The only exception to that is st.HK, which is -4, but from max range, is nearly impossible to punish from the ranges a Karin player would use it as a poke.

Karin might be the "safest" character in the game.

Shito

She actually is, if you fully charge her v skill :p
:D

Huh?

The only thing Karin players might do that's unsafe on a regular basis is sweep. Every button she has and would use on block is either -2 or cancels into Orochi, which is -2. The only exception to that is st.HK, which is -4, but from max range, is nearly impossible to punish from the ranges a Karin player would use it as a poke.

Karin might be the "safest" character in the game.
cr.MK is -4, and lots of Karins love to go for a st.MK after it is blocked, which gives a nice CC opportunity for many characters. :3

Sheroking

Yeah that isn't actually true at all. Even in that Tokido clip that's hot right now you can point to several mistakes Tokido made, as well as Fuudo's near-flawless play that us plebs will not be able to replicate, that makes that situation HIGHLY abnormal.

Well... I wouldn't go so far as to say she OTK's people, but her blender is MORE than a series of 50/50's because her options in the corner tend to blow-up multiple escapes. Every player in the world is going to get shit on by a Mika with corner control for a long, long time.

I just don't like her v-reversal. I think she should recover at the same time as the player. That is my only beef with the character.

:D

cr.MK is -4, and lots of Karins love to go for a st.MK after it is blocked, which gives a nice CC opportunity for many characters. :3

How many characters have a 4 frame crush counter that hits that far? I have never been punished. MK also cancels into Orochi, although it isn't a true block-string like cr.HP > Orochi.

Ferrio

Banned
Either take away Mika's mid screen rope throw (no thanks) or make it so normals don't reset her opponent after a f+hp. I'd personally go with the later. Mid screen rope throw is too interesting to lose, and it fits her game into getting her opponent into the corner. F+HP is too damned good as is imo, it's a godly button that has no drawback and is the best meaty in the game and one of the best normals.

Shito

V-reversal beats every button that isn't jab or short in the game. That doesn't make the button unsafe. MK cancels into just frame tenko on hit and Orochi on block, although it's probably not a true block-string like cr.HP > Orochi.
Oh, not saying it makes the move highly unsafe, just saying that even high level players can have tendencies to have holes in their pressings, thinking they are at a safe distance to not get punished and over relying on their best moves like st.MK. :3
I see a LOT of Karins guilty of that, even jwong at times.

How many characters have a 4 frame crush counter that hits that far? I have never been punished. MK also cancels into Orochi, although it isn't a true block-string like cr.HP > Orochi.
Not saying you can outright punish cr.MK, just that many Karins love to throw out a st.MK (goes out in 7 frames) after a blocked cr.MK (-4), which leaves 11 frames to CC it.
You are right that cancelling it into Orochi is a good option, but it's just about reading people's bad habits they sometimes have from not being punished enough for them :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think you can slightly change her while keeping her mostly intact. Just change some of the frame advantage on the normals I talked about so when she guesses wrong on the Rock/Paper/Scissors she loses her turn. It's like you chose Rock against Mika's scissors and she cut through them anyway.

Her V-Trigger has legit unblockables which is well.. yea

If history is anything to go by, they'd leave her pressure game mostly intact, but just make it even harder for her to get it started. Looking at the balance tweaking across pre-release versions:

Beta 2: Charged dropkick was way more difficult for the opponent to stuff, f.MK traveled much further, her 3-frame normals could actually link into her target combo for real damage, V-Skill was faster and gave more of a damage boost. She had legit footsies and greater damage potential.

Beta 3 / Release 1.00: Dropkick was nerfed, f.MK was nerfed, 3f jabs no longer link into anything except on counter-hit, V-Skill was nerfed, the mid-screen wall bounce was taken away, and Nadeshiko disappeared if Mika got hit right after V-Trigger activation. Basically, any tool she had previously used to close the distance got worse, and she was much weaker mid-screen, but nothing substantial changed about her options once she was in close and had advantage.'

Beta 4 / Release 1.01: The wall bounce was restored and Nadeshiko no longer disappears on hit.

If the designers really felt it was necessary to nerf Mika, I think they'd probably go back to 1.00 status and remove her mid-screen wall bounce on the grounds of making it more difficult for her to corner carry and reducing her damage potential outside of the corner. But I don't see her corner/knockdown game itself changing significantly. In every version so far, it's been clear that she's intended to be a corner bully; the main thing that's fluctuated is how much work she has to put in over the course of the round to acquire the corner.

The V-Trigger itself is something that's never not going to be good unless it's fundamentally changed somehow. Nadeshiko is (a) a Marvel assist on (b) a command throw character in (c) a game that has neither air blocking, pushblocking, nor low-risk invincible reversals. It's inherently scummy. (As a Marvel player, it's what sold me on the character even before she was playable.) That move alone should give some insight into how this character is intended to function. A character with tools like this is not supposed to have an advantage over you in neutral, generally speaking.

Even though she doesn't play much like a traditional grappler like Gief, her overall gameplan in a match is pretty similar: she'll "spend" her lifebar taking risks to get in, then hopefully get a big payoff once she closes the distance and can apply pressure. She just doesn't accomplish this through the traditional "grappler" toolset (her stamina is the lowest of all characters with command throws and below average overall, her command throws themselves have less range and damage than most, her overall reach is stubbier).

So, when fighting her, you can't really judge which player is "winning" just by the lifebar differential; Mika, like Gief, usually isn't concerned about that. Whether you have the life lead or not, you just have to be focused on keeping yourself in a position that makes it as difficult as possible for her to get anything done (which honestly is easier than it sounds for a lot of characters). I usually lose to players who just have smart defense: people who keep themselves at ideal whiff-punish range, people who are smart enough to know to stay out of the corner even when I'M the one cornered, people who know the ranges on her buttons and how to counter-poke them, etc. People who are more concerned with stopping my game than getting their own game started, so to speak. And she has no noteworthy way of stopping pressure herself outside of V-Reversal, which either delays or denies her her most powerful tool (Nadeshiko); if you can get her to spend her V-meter on that, you might as well consider that a small victory in itself.

IMO, a lot of the complaints about Mika are basically "month 1 grappler syndrome," where people are getting more frustrated than they need to be simply because they're not really playing the match-up.

But I also wouldn't be playing the character if I thought she was ass. I dropped her in Alpha 3 after all of an hour of messing around with her, after all. :V

Csr

It is not like mika is op or anything, it is just that people don't like playing against her playstyle. It is the same situation as fighting someone like el fuerte or seth in SFIV. Those characters force you to play their game which is get the advantage a couple of times and then make you guess until you lose or not. It feels like it revolves less around playing proper spacing, footsies, zoning and more about guessing. One scramble situation and you are in the blender.

I think laura (or other grapplers) has some of that but requires to play the "honest" game more than mika or maybe i haven't played against laura much. As people learn the Mika match up there will be less complaints, so far though personally i really don't like fighting against her.

galvenize

I fucking suck at throw teching, the guy could jab jab throw me for three rounds straights I'll just sit there blocking every time.

joe2187

Banned
Mika is taking away from the real problem that this game has.

Which is Nash.

Nash should have stayed dead. He was much more acceptable as a corpse.

Coda

If history is anything to go by, they'd leave her pressure game mostly intact, but just make it even harder for her to get it started. Looking at the balance tweaking across pre-release versions:

Beta 2: Charged dropkick was way more difficult for the opponent to stuff, f.MK traveled much further, V-Skill was faster and gave more of a damage boost. She had legit footsies and greater damage potential.

Beta 3 / Release 1.00: Dropkick was nerfed, f.MK was nerfed, V-Skill was nerfed, the mid-screen wall bounce was taken away, and Nadeshiko disappeared if Mika got hit right after V-Trigger activation. Basically, any tool she had previously used to close the distance got worse, and she was much weaker mid-screen, but nothing substantial changed about her options once she was in close and had advantage.'

Beta 4 / Release 1.01: The wall bounce was restored and Nadeshiko no longer disappears on hit.

If the designers really felt it was necessary to nerf Mika, I think they'd probably go back to 1.00 status and remove her mid-screen wall bounce on the grounds of making it more difficult for her to corner carry and reducing her damage potential outside of the corner. But I don't see her corner/knockdown game itself changing significantly. In every version so far, it's been clear that she's intended to be a corner bully; the main thing that's fluctuated is how much work she has to put in over the course of the round to acquire the corner.

The V-Trigger itself is something that's never not going to be good unless it's fundamentally changed somehow. Nadeshiko is (a) a Marvel assist on (b) a command throw character in (c) a game that has neither air blocking, pushblocking, nor low-risk invincible reversals. It's inherently scummy. (As a Marvel player, it's what sold me on the character even before she was playable.) That move alone should give some insight into how this character is intended to function. A character with tools like this is not supposed to have an advantage over you in neutral, generally speaking.

Even though she doesn't play much like a traditional grappler like Gief, her overall gameplan in a match is pretty similar: she'll "spend" her lifebar taking risks to get in, then hopefully get a big payoff once she closes the distance and can apply pressure. She just doesn't accomplish this through the traditional "grappler" toolset (her stamina is the lowest of all characters with command throws and below average overall, her command throws themselves have less range and damage than most, her overall reach is stubbier).

So, when fighting her, you can't really judge which player is "winning" just by the lifebar differential; Mika, like Gief, usually isn't concerned about that. Whether you have the life lead or not, you just have to be focused on keeping yourself in a position that makes it as difficult as possible for her to get anything done (which honestly is easier than it sounds for a lot of characters). I usually lose to players who just have smart defense: people who keep themselves at ideal whiff-punish range, people who are smart enough to know to stay out of the corner even when I'M the one cornered, people who know the ranges on her buttons and how to counter-poke them, etc. People who are more concerned with stopping my game than getting their own game started, so to speak. And she has no noteworthy way of stopping pressure herself outside of V-Reversal, which either delays or denies her her most powerful tool (Nadeshiko); if you can get her to spend her V-meter on that, you might as well consider that a small victory in itself.

IMO, a lot of the complaints about Mika are basically "month 1 grappler syndrome," where people are getting more frustrated than they need to be simply because they're not really playing the match-up.

But I also wouldn't be playing the character if I thought she was ass. I dropped her in Alpha 3 after all of an hour of messing around with her, after all. :V

As a Mika main I agree with all of these things. I get constantly outplayed by people who know the correct ranges and punishes. I do have rounds where I get the corner carry and the big payoff but it's not absurdly easy like people make it out to be. I still have the most fun executing combos with Mika. They just have a fluid nature and fun timing to them. I think that's why a lot of rushdown players like Mika.

Rektash

Karin vs Dhalsim is a busted matchup. There I said it. It's impossible to win for Karin.

No tools to get in. No tools to keep him close. Dhalsim can literally do what he wants in that matchup and toy around with Karin to his hearts content.

qcf x2

?

The data I linked was updated 3 days ago.

Edit: Oh wait, I guess that might not apply to the number of total matches, which might not have been updated. If we look at the top 500:

- The number of Lauras is 20.
- The number of Mikas is 21.

And I all but guarantee you it's been trending toward Mika lately.

Either take away Mika's mid screen rope throw (no thanks) or make it so normals don't reset her opponent after a f+hp. I'd personally go with the later. Mid screen rope throw is too interesting to lose, and it fits her game into getting her opponent into the corner. F+HP is too damned good as is imo, it's a godly button that has no drawback and is the best meaty in the game and one of the best normals.

I say take away mid screen rope and make the mic do chip damage (can K.O.). Been saying it for weeks and it's my final answer.

Karin vs Dhalsim is a busted matchup. There I said it. It's impossible to win for Karin.

No tools to get in. No tools to keep him close.

You have some of the most badass buttons. Hit the limbs. V-reversal the limbs. EX uppercut the limbs.

Rektash

You have some of the most badass buttons. Hit the limbs. V-reversal the limbs. EX uppercut the limbs.

Trying to hit his limbs while he does his fireball zoning + limbs game is a battle you will loose as a Karin player. You are low health yourself and have to deal with fireballs as well as occational timed port ins in addition to limbs.

Ex uppercut either whiffs completly or does a single hit for 30 damage on limbs (just retested that in training mode). Dhalsim quick rises faster than you are back on the ground after your ex dp. All you accomplish is waste an ex meter for no damage and no positional advantage.

While V-reversal is a decent tool, you don't have it at your disposal more than once or twice per round. Because of that alone it is very limited in use and situational at best.

Furthermore people really overrate Karins buttons. Are they some of the better buttons in the game? Yes, they certainly are! She can't hang anywhere close to characters with really good buttons though. Chun/Vega/Bison rule supreme and you can't hit any buttons in those matchups as Karin. You'll get destroyed if you do.

I got some other indicators this matchup is complete garbage as well: According to the SF V stats page Dhalsim is Karins worst matchup by far, with Karin only having a 40% winrate against him. And to be perfectly honest, it feels even worse than that. I wouldn't be suprised if this tilts even more into Dhalsims favor as people start to learn their characters better.

okay, let's do some casuals. ryu joins, ryu, ryu...uhm, okay. let's do battle lounge. ryu joins, ryu, ryu, ken. one had the balls to taunt me after he hit me with CA, i grabbed him to death the same round and gave him the dropkick to the face for the next 2. anyway, this is getting old. had a few good alex mirrors and some birdie and laura to save the day. almost forgot, there was a mika that rq in lobby after he ate CA, gg. gotta play ranked to see more variety i guess, when's rq patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom