• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

rec0ded1

doesn't help that every online player seems to have her ridiculously long combos down to a tee...including the one that links into the critical art :|

Good to know it's a common occurrence. Even i was saying Ho Ho Ho after they pulled that crap off.

Pompadour

For those who asked what the Japanese text on the Rose and Sodom art said, there isn't much:

Ultima from Herv said:
Sodom has an entry but, aside from the new costume, it doesn't state anything notable. Still trying to rebuild Mad gear, still loves JPN culture, still says things wrong in JPN, still drives the truck.

But I forgot that it states under Rose's profile that she has "recently begun to take on disciples"!

GG getting destroyed by someone higher than me so chose to not rematch.. and I get matched to the same guy again right after.. fuck you Capcom and your worthless programmers.

ElFly

Man, psn is being an asshole and I can't connect to SFV or watch netflix wtf

Now I got a message that it's going through maintenance. Great.

GG getting destroyed by someone higher than me so chose to not rematch.. and I get matched to the same guy again right after.. fuck you Capcom and your worthless programmers.

Before I got dropped from PSN I was matched to the same Bronze Ryus whom I procceded to whop.

Well, one I whopped, then I started trying weird things like Zangief V-skilling everything and I still won.

Felt bad for them. I tried to make it easier but nope.

Man, psn is being an asshole and I can't connect to SFV or watch netflix wtf

Now I got a message that it's going through maintenance. Great.

Before I got dropped from PSN I was matched to the same Bronze Ryus whom I procceded to whop.

Well, one I whopped, then I started trying weird things like Zangief V-skilling everything and I still won.

Felt bad for them. I tried to make it easier but nope.

I just won over a Silver Ruy who got down ranked and I ran with the points. After like 40% games vs Ruy for 2 months I just don't want to play them more..

Edit: The game after I met a Ken again that destroyed me earlier and I won so he got down ranked too lol.

Play something else than Ken/Ruy/Nash if you want rematches lol. I feel no shame. Got matched 3 games in a row vs a Mika, and went like 3-4 or so, much more fun.

Pompadour

Glad I'm not the only one struggling against Karin...I just can't get a read on her, doesn't help that every online player seems to have her ridiculously long combos down to a tee...including the one that links into the critical art :|

The critical art combo is actually pretty easy but maybe hard for SFV character standards. The one where she combos Tenko into LK Kicks into EX Tenko into EX Orochi is her most styling combo.

mattp

Just happened to me again in Casual, I guess a proper 2 out of 3 system then? I could have sworn I saw people bitching when the patch went up that it was just a 2nd match and not a proper 2 out 3, and additionally I never had the option for a 3rd game once all day yesterday in Ranked or Casual. Does this only happen if the score is 1-1?

Either way this is fantastic, just played a Ken in Casual at about double my LP (he was Silver, I'm barely Super Bronze) and it was an incredibly close set. He straight whooped my ass the first game, 2nd game I barely won, and last game came down to the final round and I primarily lose because of an execution error that got him a combo into CA. Felt so fucking good to play someone enough times in quick succession to actually learn and adapt, so great. I could tell he was a better player than me for sure but I was really happy with how I performed against him. He also had a Breaker/Breaker New Waves CFN so props to that guy/gal :D.
it is a proper best 2 of 3, but youre not required to finish the set
so if i win 1 and my opponent wins 1, it will ASK us if we wanna finish and do a 3rd match. but you can opt out

if you win 2 in a row, you dont get asked for a 3rd cuz you already got your best 2 of 3

Man, I just had my first experience of someone winning the first match, playing a second set then ragequitting when I won. New levels of infuriation.

Can you teleport after air yoga flame?
Nope.

Man, what purpose does Alex's dive serve? It should be reworked into utility, or removed.
It's situationally useful to avoid being hit by a grounded anti-air normal given the slight hang time delay at certain angles, and connect a blow in return before they can recover. I've had a few capable Alex players gain some mileage out of it if I tried to anti-air them (as Dhalsim) every time. Can also be used as an escape with how far the roll animation goes I suppose, if the opposing player doesn't react well to jumps.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Honzo just bopped Art on that Online tournament.

Nash is so hard to punish. I mean damn it seems so much of his stuff is safe. What is the thing to punish him on?

Moonsault - punished during start up. Unpunishable on block.
Sonic scythe - punishable on block (spacing dependant)
Overhead - punishable on block

Target combos are all punishable on block, but those are usually cancelled into other special moves anyway.

I just noticed when you're running a set to 3 or 5 or whatever that it says X wins and Y lose(s).
That doesn't sound right. Should be Y lost or loss(es).

MrDaravon

it is a proper best 2 of 3, but youre not required to finish the set
so if i win 1 and my opponent wins 1, it will ASK us if we wanna finish and do a 3rd match. but you can opt out

if you win 2 in a row, you dont get asked for a 3rd cuz you already got your best 2 of 3

Yeah, I could have sworn when the patch hit people were salty about it NOT being a proper 2 out of 3 system (I mean technically people can opt out of the rematch but you know what I mean), that must have either changed or I'm misremembering. Then I guess that also means all day yesterday my matches were two straight wins or two straight losses lol. I think it should be mandatory in Ranked but I like that it's there at all.

Also it's so weird how I had no one today NOT do the rematches, but yet I had two Casual matches were people ragequit. I still don't understand why people ragequit out of Casual. And in these two cases it was very very low ranked players, even lower than me (like barely Bronze status) so it makes even less sense to me.

Yeah, I could have sworn when the patch hit people were salty about it NOT being a proper 2 out of 3 system (I mean technically people can opt out of the rematch but you know what I mean), that must have either changed or I'm misremembering. Then I guess that also means all day yesterday my matches were two straight wins or two straight losses lol. I think it should be mandatory in Ranked but I like that it's there at all.

Some people were disappointed that 2/3 was only optional and not mandantory. I prefer optional because I'm not about to lose two games to lag if I don't have to.

Still, most opponents have been pretty nice about opting in. I think it's because the matchmaking is so slow that everyone wants to play as much as they can before having to wait more.

BushDid1738 just RQ'd in my battle lounge..

Yep I made some guy rage quit with birdie in a lounge. I had started hitting the ex jumping chain grab and he couldn't take it.

God I am total ass at this game though. I need to just sit and practice basic combos because I think I have good footsies but just don't take advantage of damage.

Also, any birdie players got tips?

I'm always trying to think of the command grab but it seems like nobody ever blocks. It's just buttons for days in this game. You can try to train for a block but it's always some Bullshit on wakeup.

Most RQs are dumb enough to do 2/3 and drop when they are losing, but I still get points for that first game (I think). That's more than I'd walk away with if they just drop the first game.

Yep I made some guy rage quit with birdie in a lounge. I had started hitting the ex jumping chain grab and he couldn't take it.

God I am total ass at this game though. I need to just sit and practice basic combos because I think I have good footsies but just don't take advantage of damage.

I'm always trying to think of the command grab but it seems like nobody ever blocks. It's just buttons for days in this game. You can try to train for a block but it's always some Bullshit on wakeup.

Depends on where you are at. Semi-decent players know not to mash, because proper spacing and a solid defense with the addition of being reactive blows up stupid shit.

I'm not a Birdie player, but you can train people to tech throws and then give them command throw (setting them up for that sweet sweet EX Dive)

Man...screw this game putting me up against 15 2000-3000 players in a row and then I lose one single match against them and lose 150 points!!!

I'm so done with rank

ElFly

Zangief def needs a smaller hitbox under him when doing the splash.

Not saying that it needs a disjointed hitbox, but the damn thing should not be stuffed by a fucking MK that hits on front of the opponent what the fuck that should not do AA.

It has happened to me with Dhalsim and Birdie.

Zackat

you gotta use st.MK more, it's sogood. It will make people block or they will be dead. Try to weave df+HP (with proper spacing) and f+HK (also with proper spacing) once you got them blocking as well to truly mindfuck them. And once you got them mindfucked then you go in and command grab. And always, always be ready with cr.MP to anti-air.

Basically st.MK and cr.MP are your best friend. But I am only a silver birdie so.

Durden77

Fuuuuck if I would a just canceled into super you would've been dead!!! GG

I think I'm about to go play some ranked. 1 more game

Morris

Disco Devil
GGs guys, gonna have to drop since I'm having a shitty connection right now. I know it's shit when I have 4 bars against Edge. Durden, that last game was yours man, I assume you dropped the super input after scythe?

Edit: yeah lmao, hit confirming is super important with nash, if you land a clean hit with full meter you gotta make sure to spend it. Also I noticed you like doing that v trigger extension combo, it's good but I would try to save meter for super tbh, you were also doing the fwd. v trigger version which would put you in the corner and get me out of it, instead of that you could do back v trigger since it would still serve the same purpose without letting me escape the corner that easily.

I've been studying Ryu's frame data a lot this past week, and I found all kinds of funky stuff. Using meaty jabs to get Chun Li-esque combos, sMP into sweep, sMP into sRH. All kinds of wackiness.

The frame data is a little weird, though.

LK tatsu should be +36 when your opponent quick rises, which means that double dash(32 frames) into jab(3 frames) should hit on the 2nd active frame, but sometimes it whiffs. I don't know why.

It's kinda crazy how deliberately it seems like Ryu's enders are made for meaty setups. HP srk, sweep, MK tatsu and super are all exactly +20 frames on opponent's quick rise, which means that dash sMP is an easy meaty setup. EX fireball and LK tatsu are +36, which means you get the exact same meaties with a second dash forwards.

There are situations for using the other moves, but generally these are the best to know since they all have the same setup and they're basically the best combo enders anyway.

MK srk is +22 which is interesting in it's own way, but I'll get into that another time.

Durden77

Y'all's reaction times are ridiculous lol. It's like I'm playing in fast forward.

GGs guys, gonna have to drop since I'm having a shitty connection right now. Durden, that last game was yours man, I assume you dropped the super input after scythe?

Ggs everyone, gonna play a little ranked before bed. And yes my mind just went blank and I didn't even think about the super! Great games though.

First ranked match in like over a week and it's a rage quit. Welcome back!

Edgeward

I'll try

Edit no it's Ft1 for the lounge

GGs though, there's absolutely nothing I can do against your Vega

We can play some more if you like. I just wanted the rule change so we aren't going back to the lobby every game.

I will say you need to stop hit sweep as you panic button. Especially when the opponent is in your face. Despite being the best sweep it still isn't a move to just throw out. You need something more when attacking on wake up other than just throw.

Try to find some block strings that don't leave you at a disadvantage as well.

You need to stop playing scared and jumping back when in a pressure situation as well. You only back yourself into a corner and in an even worse spot.

Neutral game needs work. Not every attack needs to immediately hit your opponent. It's an early bad habit to just try full screen attacks in hopes they land. Sometimes you just need to walk forward and focus on controlling your space with safe normals. And don't just throw anything out, you need a reason to press a button. Are you expecting a specific attack? Put yourself just outside of the range and whiff punish. See a pattern in how they throw out normals? Maybe dash in during the opening and pressure with your light attacks. The footsie game is really lacking and in a strong footsie character like Karin I would focus on that and look into videos explaining the psychology and tactics of footsies

Juicebox has a great one, even if he uses SF4 to explain the concept is universal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

The sweep was literally the only move I could hit you with, you had block on everything else :p

The feedback is well appreciated however. Your pokes are great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom