• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought SFV cannot not have anything faster than 3F?

Are you talking about the frame buffer in the game? If so, that doesn't affect how quickly things come out but how lenient they are at accepting inputs from the player.

Well I've gone and done it now...I'm all signed up for Texas Showdown! Entered under the name Caleb_Plays (also my CFN).

My goal is small...win one set. More excited than nervous...but still plenty nervous. This will be my first major.

Good luck, man! Just try to have fun. Tournament jitters are very real and there's not much you can do about it other than to just get as much experience as possible. If you don't meet your goal, don't worry about it. Just play your best.

Who do you play? Let me know if you have any questions for the tournament or anything else.

Spman2099

When's the next CPT? I'm assuming we'll get a trailer around then.

Ha, I legitimately chuckled when I read your comment.

I am assuming that was a dig at all the people saying that we were going to get Alex after Final Round last month. I was quite possibly beating that drum the loudest. The timing made so much sense to me...

Anyway, maybe that is the case. Maybe Capcom realized that it was silly to not show a trailer then? Who knows.

My new approach is to not expect it at all and download him when he drops. Capcom is too unpredictable. They don't seem to be that interested on trying to capitalize on the launch of the new characters.

*shrug*

vg260

Ha, I legitimately chuckled when I read your comment.

I am assuming that was a dig at all the people saying that we were going to get Alex after Final Round last month. I was quite possibly beating that drum the loudest. The timing made so much sense to me...

Anyway, maybe that is the case. Maybe Capcom realized that it was silly to not show a trailer then? Who knows.

My new approach is to not expect it at all and download him when he drops. Capcom is too unpredictable. They don't seem to be that interested on trying to capitalize on the launch of the new characters.

*shrug*

Part of how Alex played out and their relative silence may have been partly due to them scrambling to get the zenny shop working to no avial and things in flux as a result. I wouldn't expect the actual Guile release until the very end of the month in case they solve the zenny issues in time, but perhaps info might be shown sooner since at least they have a temporary plan in place.

Zissou

Top 3 V Trigger no order

1. Mika (3 variations, can control timing, doesn't go away when hit)
2. Chun (combo off overhead, crlp crmk combo, people get real scared, comeback/damage/stun potential go up)
3. Ryu (bonus stun, unblockables, changing up fb timings, improves parry)

Chun's doesn't add stun (unless you're counting additional stun as a result of a combo being lengthened due to being in v-trigger state). Combo off of overhead doesn't really matter much either since the move is hot garbage. Of course, overall her v-trigger is extremely good though- no argument there.

I'm still waiting on somebody showing how Ryu's parry changes in v-trigger.

Top 3 V Trigger no order

1. Mika (3 variations, can control timing, doesn't go away when hit)
2. Chun (combo off overhead, crlp crmk combo, people get real scared, comeback/damage/stun potential go up)
3. Ryu (bonus stun, unblockables, changing up fb timings, improves parry)

How can Necalli not be up there when his V-Trigger makes everything unpunishable except for Disc's Guidance

Are you talking about the frame buffer in the game? If so, that doesn't affect how quickly things come out but how lenient they are at accepting inputs from the player.

Good luck, man! Just try to have fun. Tournament jitters are very real and there's not much you can do about it other than to just get as much experience as possible. If you don't meet your goal, don't worry about it. Just play your best.

Who do you play? Let me know if you have any questions for the tournament or anything else.

Hey thanks, I play Karin. I'm down to run some sets this week and am open to advice.

Zyrox

Just played and won two matches against a super gold ryu and was like "damn this must have been worth a ton of points. GG zyrox lets check how many points I have now" only to realize I accidentally activated casual search instead of ranked. Yea gee fucking gee Zyrox OTL
So I deactivated casual and put ranked on and found another super gold ryu, beat him too only to be greeted by the good ol 40002. Yup, that's ranked alright.

LakeEarth

How can Necalli not be up there when his V-Trigger makes everything unpunishable except for Disc's Guidance

And it never runs out. Which makes training mode with him annoying.

I'd still say Mika's is the best, creating unblockable mixups, some of which cannot be DP'd out of (thanks Sixfortyfive). I wouldn't be surprised if her V-Meter goes 3 bars eventually.

Just played and won two matches against a super gold ryu and was like "damn this must have been worth a ton of points. GG zyrox lets check how many points I have now" only to realize I accidentally activated casual search instead of ranked. Yea gee fucking gee Zyrox OTL
So I deactivated casual and put ranked on and found another super gold ryu, beat him too only to be greeted by the good ol 40002. Yup, that's ranked alright.

Remember, a droppers rank wouldn't be their rank if they weren't a dropper. So if they actually gave you the points, you wouldn't have gotten that big payday you were expecting.

Fun fact, I have yet to fight a Platinum player, despite being matched up to them several times. They see my ultra-silver rank and drop at the title screen, don't want to risk the points for such little reward. It's happened 3 times now.

Chun's doesn't add stun (unless you're counting additional stun as a result of a combo being lengthened due to being in v-trigger state). Combo off of overhead doesn't really matter much either since the move is hot garbage. Of course, overall her v-trigger is extremely good though- no argument there.

I'm still waiting on somebody showing how Ryu's parry changes in v-trigger.

Useless? You can use it for resets in combos if you catch the opponent sleeping.

Ryu's parry's startup changes from 3F to 2F.

FluxWaveZ

Do the boundaries of that China stage actually get further (i.e. the corners are further apart from each other) if the stage transition happens, or does it just look different?

Zissou

Useless? You can use it for resets in combos if you catch the opponent sleeping.

Ryu's parry's startup changes from 3F to 2F.

Chun's overhead is terrible. It's easy blocked on reaction and loses to practically every other button in the game. The only use I've seen for it against decent players is its extreme range (better than any of her normals/command normals AFAIK).

As for Ryu's parry- how do you refute what I posted earlier (pasted below)

I had thought Ryu's parry didn't change since nobody mentioned in the frame data available online and it's not mentioned anywhere in the official app, which is generally very thorough.

I tested it with two strings with Chun.
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.LK (4 frame startup)
and
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.MP (5 frame startup)

I then set the Ryu dummy's guard recovery action to parry (and I was getting the 'reversal' message pop-up so I know it's executing as fast as possible).

Whether or not Ryu was in v-trigger, he could never parry the st.LK after a blocked st.LP and he could always parry the st.MP. I call bullshit on this unless I'm missing something.

Do the boundaries of that China stage actually get further (i.e. the corners are further apart from each other) if the stage transition happens, or does it just look different?

Oh yes, the stage gets longer. It's the reason I have it as my default as a Dhalsim player. Much more room to move around.

Chun's overhead is terrible. It's easy blocked on reaction and loses to practically every other button in the game. The only use I've seen for it against decent players is its extreme range (better than any of her normals/command normals AFAIK).

As for Ryu's parry- how do you refute what I posted earlier (pasted below)

I had thought Ryu's parry didn't change since nobody mentioned in the frame data available online and it's not mentioned anywhere in the official app, which is generally very thorough.

I tested it with two strings with Chun.
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.LK (4 frame startup)
and
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.MP (5 frame startup)

I then set the Ryu dummy's guard recovery action to parry (and I was getting the 'reversal' message pop-up so I know it's executing as fast as possible).

Whether or not Ryu was in v-trigger, he could never parry the st.LK after a blocked st.LP and he could always parry the st.MP. I call bullshit on this unless I'm missing something.

That's interesting. I only heard about it on a stream and just ran with it, my bad.

FluxWaveZ

The far right end of the stage definitely looks different, which is why I was asking. To me, it wouldn't really make sense if the transition actually changed the length of a stage, but I heard a commentator say this during a European tournament recently.

mattp

Does anybody else feel stuck in the 900-1200 BP purgatory? Get to 1200 and only play people with 1800-2000 BP, once you're down to 900 then you get opponents with 500-700 BP.

What I gather out of this is that theres a jump in skillset, but it shouldn't be that large. Its basically people who dont even block vs people who can do every single combo in the game
haha yup
ive been fluctuating between 900 and 1200 since practically the first day
i'll be a scrub forever

Bizazedo

Afraid I'm in Europe so sets would be a shambles with SFVs netcode. But I do play Karin so I'm happy to give advice.

I dunno, depends where Nuclear lives. I live in Delaware / East Coast US and play against Spain / UK / French flagged people lots and generally have decent connections. They'll stay for multiple sets, too, so I assume it's fine for them as well.

Afraid I'm in Europe so sets would be a shambles with SFVs netcode. But I do play Karin so I'm happy to give advice.

Sounds good, i'm at work right now but if you had time to burn feel free to check my replays. Recent fights would be any of the casual matches from yesterday. (Warning some I was a bit bored in so there was a lil trolling/wonky play) but most are fine...there was a number against a Ken player (killerjev or something like that) where I lost most of them) but it was a fun set.

I dunno, depends where Nuclear lives. I live in Delaware / East Coast US and play against Spain / UK / French flagged people lots and generally have decent connections. They'll stay for multiple sets, too, so I assume it's fine for them as well.

I live in Texas. A lot of UK connections have been decent in the past.

FluxWaveZ

Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience.

If I repeat it enough times to myself, I'll finally truly comprehend it.

- Not pressing buttons on wakeup.
- Not trying to get in asap as though it's constantly "now or never."
- Actually playing footsies and sometimes just staying still.
- Not always trying to kill off the opponent immediately when they have just a sliver of health left.
- Lean towards defense at neutral, not offense.
- Not changing towards offense immediately when my opponent has a moderate health lead.

LakeEarth

Getting better with Alex, I might actually get back up to gold after tanking hard in my initial foray into ranked mode with him. But you got to go to ranked eventually, and you learn more because that's where people bring out the cheap stuff.

Things I learned:
- f.FP is plus on block and should be abused. When they're ducking, you have to be right next to them to hit it, but if they do they're in a 50/50 mixup between command throw and s.mp.
- jab is a good antiair, but it isn't quite Necalli jab level. You'll have to block sometimes.
- c.mp xx v-trigger -> Critical Art works from pretty far away, and can save your ass in times of need
- while his CA is awesome, EX is very important because:
#1: you are plus when dashing after landing an EX rising knee, which leads to f.FP shenanigans (or command grab, or s.mp pressure)
#2: EX stomp is controllable and is plus (!!!) on block
#3: EX chop does double the damage as a light chop, knocks down, is safe on block
#4: EX rush is really punishable so it should be reserved for getting around fireballs only
- s.lk xx EX chop is a good counterpoke for footsies
- f.mp (his chop overhead) is the devil and will only get you into trouble

Next up, learning how to use his parry efficiently.

Shito

Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience, Patience.

If I repeat it enough times to myself, I'll finally truly comprehend it.

- Not pressing buttons on wakeup.
- Not trying to get in asap as though it's constantly "now or never."
- Actually playing footsies and sometimes just staying still.
- Not always trying to kill off the opponent immediately when they have just a sliver of health left.
- Lean towards defense at neutral, not offense.
- Not changing towards offense immediately when my opponent has a moderate health lead.
Amen.
I'm guilty to all of those. ;__;

Does anybody else feel stuck in the 900-1200 BP purgatory? Get to 1200 and only play people with 1800-2000 BP, once you're down to 900 then you get opponents with 500-700 BP.

What I gather out of this is that theres a jump in skillset, but it shouldn't be that large. Its basically people who dont even block vs people who can do every single combo in the game
I was stuck in that rut for a while and got two promotions in the last few days. Silver players (of which I now am) def don't know every combo but they have their bread and butters down for sure. You'll see that they still struggle to maximize damage, they aren't always situationally aware when it comes to meter and crush counter punishes, their mobility is still in development and most importantly, they still fall into patterns. Remaining patient and using losses as opportunities to learn patterns will help you take the set. Check what they do after the following situations:

• Air to air attack (do they attack, shoryu, throw?). Also, see if you can use air to air wins as an opportunity to switch sides
  • After they get anti-aired. Especially when someone gets anti-aired with a normal, this normally throws them off momentarily at this level of skill. You'll probably notice it with yourself.
  • After a whiffed move with lots of recovery. If you happen to not punish them, note how they react. Again, this is a moment where they're momentarily in "panic" mode and they're playing off instinct rather than rationale. Use this to note what kind of attacks they fall back on.
  • In the corner and after hard knockdowns, of course.

Also have your own go-to combos memorized. Know how to punish -4 moves with combos that start with jabs. Know your low-hit check combos. Know your crush counters. Know your jump-ins.

EDIT: I should note a lot of this is drawn from stuff I learned and am learning about myself first. So see if you see any of these reactions in yourself and build on that too

ElFly

Part of how Alex played out and their relative silence may have been partly due to them scrambling to get the zenny shop working to no avial and things in flux as a result. I wouldn't expect the actual Guile release until the very end of the month in case they solve the zenny issues in time, but perhaps info might be shown sooner since at least they have a temporary plan in place.

Yeah. Guile should arrive late into the month in case they fix the zenny store.

I think that prolly puts a max time of knowing when he will drop of one week before the months's end, since even if they fix the store, they prolly still have to push it through Sony Cert, which should be a week minimum. Prolly two.

LakeEarth

Not sure if this is what you meant but if I'm not mistaken EX Chop is -2 on block so it is entirely safe, not just safer.

That's what I meant, I'll fix that. It might also push you out of range of Zangief's CA, unless you'd do it point blank (and why would you?).

EDIT - oops, also said his s.mp is the devil, I meant f.mp. His s.mp is the devil for your opponents.

That's what I meant, I'll fix that. It might also push you out of range of Zangief's CA, unless you'd do it point blank (and why would you?).

You do it because you want to stare down the Red Cyclone in his stupid face and tell him you aren't afraid of him.

Also, don't do that, people. 1f startup is real.

mbpm1

There's nothing better than getting destroyed one match, then pushing through the salt to analyze your mistakes and making the strategic adaptation.

FluxWaveZ

ggs flux I guess we're the only two people playing ranked

Heh, there've been times I've gone against the same person 5-6 times in a row. It sucks when matchmaking is even slower than it usually is.

I'm running on about a 15-loss streak now, though. Lost about 1k LP since I started today; guess it's just one of those times I can't figure out what happened, but I'm too lazy to check replays.

KingBroly

Banned
Only 6 more Character Trials for me to finish. 5 or less on all of them. Vega, Bison, FANG, Ken, Birdie and Rashid.

Dhalsim's was definitely tricky, especially with the one you have to have to hit low on to get the most time to continue the combo. I have a hard time seeing it being viable considering how slow the move is, though. Maybe you can do it off of a Teleport?

Zangief wasn't any trouble until the final...2-3, where you had to do the insanely fast air grab. That just doesn't seem very viable to me since there's basically no room for error. I don't think I could do these at 60.

Mika's last 3 were...somewhat tricky, but I'm sure I could do one of them no problem at 60. All of them, however is a a bit trickier.

Laura's last 3 were easy. I know I can do those at 60, because I did them at 60 afterwards. :)

Necalli's last 6 only gave me trouble in that it doesn't count V-trigger starts as continuous after activated (poor/lazy programming IMO since it's not 1 string) and the fact that my stick is basically broken.

Primer: I'm doing these at 30fps for Fight Money AND so I can learn where I'm supposed to start buffering easier. It's just so I can get this stuff wired into my brain.

Shito

Bigdanmul seems thrilled about this!

CF2uk1j.jpg

LakeEarth

Zangief wasn't any trouble until the final...2-3, where you had to do the insanely fast air grab. That just doesn't seem very viable to me since there's basically no room for error. I don't think I could do these at 60.
The trick is to start from an uf position, and then swing around the stick/pad for the 360. That way the jump is part of the 360 motion. Similar motions are used to do Chun's instant air legs, and Dhalsim's instant air teleports.

Fun fact, I have yet to fight a Platinum player, despite being matched up to them several times. They see my ultra-silver rank and drop at the title screen, don't want to risk the points for such little reward. It's happened 3 times now.

That's such little bitch shit. No matter the rank, I will give you your match, AND a rematch...unless it's laggy.

Things I learned:
- f.FP is plus on block and should be abused. When they're ducking, you have to be right next to them to hit it, but if they do they're in a 50/50 mixup between command throw and s.mp.

I want people to block my f.HP so my LP hits them as they try to counter attack, then they eat EX Chop.

Works about 80% of the time.

Have you been using crossup j.LK > c.LK > s.LP xx EX Chop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom