• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 6 more Character Trials for me to finish. 5 or less on all of them. Vega, Bison, FANG, Ken, Birdie and Rashid.

Dhalsim's was definitely tricky, especially with the one you have to have to hit low on to get the most time to continue the combo. I have a hard time seeing it being viable considering how slow the move is, though. Maybe you can do it off of a Teleport?

Zangief wasn't any trouble until the final...2-3, where you had to do the insanely fast air grab. That just doesn't seem very viable to me since there's basically no room for error. I don't think I could do these at 60.

Mika's last 3 were...somewhat tricky, but I'm sure I could do one of them no problem at 60. All of them, however is a a bit trickier.

Laura's last 3 were easy. I know I can do those at 60, because I did them at 60 afterwards. :)

Necalli's last 6 only gave me trouble in that it doesn't count V-trigger starts as continuous after activated (poor/lazy programming IMO since it's not 1 string) and the fact that my stick is basically broken.

Primer: I'm doing these at 30fps for Fight Money AND so I can learn where I'm supposed to start buffering easier. It's just so I can get this stuff wired into my brain.

As someone who's only finished 2, do Rashid's. Gotta be the easiest in the game.

LakeEarth

I want people to block my f.HP so my LP hits them as they try to counter attack, then they eat EX Chop.

Works about 80% of the time.

Have you been using crossup j.LK > c.LK > s.LP xx EX Chop?

f.HP is +3 on block, so I use his 6-frame s.mp because it will beat any 3 frame jabs due to higher button priority. Mistime it and you get hit though, so switching up to jab against people with 3-frame normals is probably a smart move.

Yeah, I should've included his crossup stuff, it's a glaring omission. And yes I encourage people using EX chop for that combo because it knocks down, and c.lk s.lp light chop only does like 100 damage.

f.HP is +3 on block, so I use his 6-frame s.mp because it will beat any 3 frame jabs due to higher button priority. Mistime it and you get hit though, so switching up to jab against people with 3-frame normals is probably a smart move.

Yeah, I should've included his crossup stuff, it's a glaring omission. And yes I encourage people using EX chop for that combo because it knocks down, and c.lk s.lp light chop only does like 100 damage.

If f.HP hits non-counter, s.LP will combo.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I was stuck in that rut for a while and got two promotions in the last few days. Silver players (of which I now am) def don't know every combo but they have their bread and butters down for sure. You'll see that they still struggle to maximize damage, they aren't always situationally aware when it comes to meter and crush counter punishes, their mobility is still in development and most importantly, they still fall into patterns. Remaining patient and using losses as opportunities to learn patterns will help you take the set. Check what they do after the following situations:

• Air to air attack (do they attack, shoryu, throw?). Also, see if you can use air to air wins as an opportunity to switch sides
  • After they get anti-aired. Especially when someone gets anti-aired with a normal, this normally throws them off momentarily at this level of skill. You'll probably notice it with yourself.
  • After a whiffed move with lots of recovery. If you happen to not punish them, note how they react. Again, this is a moment where they're momentarily in "panic" mode and they're playing off instinct rather than rationale. Use this to note what kind of attacks they fall back on.
  • In the corner and after hard knockdowns, of course.

Also have your own go-to combos memorized. Know how to punish -4 moves with combos that start with jabs. Know your low-hit check combos. Know your crush counters. Know your jump-ins.

EDIT: I should note a lot of this is drawn from stuff I learned and am learning about myself first. So see if you see any of these reactions in yourself and build on that too

Awesome breakdown, thank you! Its really hard to find advice like this, something that isnt for beginners but also not for tournament players.

LakeEarth

Once you've trained your opponent into jumping less after knocking them out of the air with s.LP, headbutt and air stampede become much more viable.

I thought of another good Alex tip, his j.mp is actually pretty damn good with a really low hitbox. You can still get anti-aired, but they have to be more on point about it.

ohkay

The trick is to start from an uf position, and then swing around the stick/pad for the 360. That way the jump is part of the 360 motion. Similar motions are used to do Chun's instant air legs, and Dhalsim's instant air teleports.
I figured these were just tiger kneed

Ferrio

Banned
Getting better with Alex, I might actually get back up to gold after tanking hard in my initial foray into ranked mode with him. But you got to go to ranked eventually, and you learn more because that's where people bring out the cheap stuff.

Things I learned:
- jab is a good antiair, but it isn't quite Necalli jab level. You'll have to block sometimes.

Jab is nice due to the cross under/meaty throw potential. Probably the most reliable anti air i've used outside his EX knee.

- c.mp xx v-trigger -> Critical Art works from pretty far away, and can save your ass in times of need

cr.mk xx v-trigger -> CA has saved my ass so many times. Feels like I'm using Chun-li.

LakeEarth

I figured these were just tiger kneed

They are, I meant that it is a similar trick that the jump is blended into the special's motion.

Jab is nice due to the cross under/meaty throw potential. Probably the most reliable anti air i've used outside his EX knee.
It's really good, but I have been hit by some stuff despite the antiair, even though the hurtbox of the jab should be right over his head in one frame. I've had better luck with Necalli's jab. It could just be me.

LakeEarth

Isn't it 1 for 300 ranked wins, and the other is just playing 300 online matches (no matter the outcome)

Yup, once I hit gold I was like PEACE OUT RANKED, thinking that the 300 wins achievement applied for casuals as well. It doesn't.

Does anyone know if the 300 EX KOs, 300 CA KOs, 100 v-reversals is all online modes, all modes, or just ranked again? If it were all modes, you'd think I would've gotten one of them by now.

myco666

Yup, once I hit gold I was like PEACE OUT RANKED, thinking that the 300 wins achievement applied for casuals as well. It doesn't.

Does anyone know if the 300 EX KOs, 300 CA KOs, 100 v-reversals is all online modes, all modes, or just ranked again? If it were all modes, you'd think I would've gotten one of them by now.

Those seem to be for all modes as I got mine while doing Survival. If you get perfect the finishers won't count though.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder if we'll see Guile this week. We saw the first glimpse of Alex on March 10th via screenshots and a Capcom Unity blog post.

Considering Capcom's basically been on a SF5 blackout since the Pro Tour started, I'm guessing that's a no, with an outside chance at Friday, telling us what will be in the April patch(es).

LakeEarth

Yep I've had quite a few people do that. I feel sorta bad, but whatever I need my crush counters.

I've seen that too. It's strange though, because they have to know something is up.

It's like in 3rd Strike, there were always quite a few players who let you get 3 taunts with Q while chucking fireballs across the screen. I mean, they have to notice that every Q taunts, every Q taunts 3 times, and every Q stops taunting after the third time. I've even had some people let me get 4 taunts with Hugo, which is insane.

Baleoce

I got decimated by Flux yesterday so I'm not sure how helpful I can be. Besides all the basic thing that you're suppose to do the one thing I want to stress is that you have to keep your cool when playing her. She gets me so fucking salty that I go full scrub against her. I'd like to do it again with Flux another time just to see if I've learned anything from our last set. I got hit by way too much because I was mashing, back dashing, holding up, whiffing normals, and so on. Or maybe I'll never learn because the first time I get command grabbed and then have my mashed SRK blocked I'll just be seeing red the rest of the set.

Don't follow here into a corner, since if you do, 1 mistake and she'll have you right where she wants you. So try and fight the middle of the stages, and if the mika is staying at range, just be happy chugging fireballs all day.

If she starts a charged.hk, neutral jump -> huge punish, or parry -> huge punish, or just hit it out of the air ( since it's shit ).

Jumpin? Shoryuken or parry -> punish.

Always be ready to shoryuken after a fireball if the Mika jumps towards you.

Don't be afraid of jumping in, Mika's go to anti air is low dmg and doesn't knock you down, so her options after doing it are limited.

Also learn what combos you can do that are safe on block. I always feel like Ryu's I fight just spam those all day, and if I dare press a button it leads to a knockdown + combo taken.

Many thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind :)

It's only gonna get worse as time passes. Maybe tomorrow's maintenance will smooth things over.

Ah, approaching maintenance, fair enough. Thanks! Might look at some battle lounges instead.

EDIT - Just been reminded there's no regional filter for battle lounges, and the left hand side connection bars do a poor job of communicating potential connection strength, and sometimes don't even load at all. Battle Lounges would get much more usage from me if they looked into this.

*Blinks

Capcom is the stupidest fucking company, I swear.

Also, with Alex, QCF+P > HCB+P, you only need to do QCB+P. So I imagine it's the same with every character.

In Alex's case, it's a separate command for QCF + HP (or on counter for MP) into QCB+P. That isn't power bomb, its hyper bomb.

LakeEarth

Speed of ranked really is a crap shoot. Sometimes I do chores while searching both ranked and casuals, but then on Saturday I couldn't get anything done because I was getting a match every 20 seconds. Also I had a bit of insomnia from 2-5am Saturday night, and was getting matches fairly quickly even at 4am.

Then other days I'm playing at prime time, yet waiting 10 minutes per match.

Mr. X

How does Ryu's V trigger improve his parry?
Afaik or read, parry start up is reduced.
No Nicalli? His is a damn fine Trigger. If I was making a top five it would probably be those four and then Karin or maybe Dictator.

I do like Nash's too, but mostly because my room mate gasps in surprise every single time I nail him with it. Funny every time.
Whoever asked said "besides Necalli's"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom