• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally done ;_;
kaoSwWZ.gif

it's a complete mess so will never be released, and if I do release this design I will pretty much need to re-do the entire thing. but I'm okay with it for 8 hours work, and it's certainly convincing enough for my coursework. :p

it's 6am, fucking hell

Xeteh

Finally done ;_;
it's a complete mess so will never be released, and if I do release this design I will pretty much need to re-do the entire thing. but I'm okay with it for 8 hours work, and it's certainly convincing enough for my coursework. :p

it's 6am, fucking hell

Fair enough, from the outside looking in she looks awesome. Great stuff as usual Garrett.

Trickster

Lol, fifth time or something playing the Laura, first time I beat her, dude ragequits.

Legit wanna go install TOR and find someone to track down this guy

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Finally done ;_;
kaoSwWZ.gif

it's 6am, fucking hell

You should do a version of this with jean shorts and fishnets.

KingBroly

Banned
Did Capcom program Ryu's 10th trial properly? That''s a 1 frame link and it's inconsistent AS FUCK.

EDIT: Good lord, what a shitty combo. No one's ever hitting that. Does Capcom even watch their own Pro Tour events? These combos aren't feasible. They don't make players better.

You should do a version of this with jean shorts and fishnets.
I won't be doing anything for a while I think :p
Fair enough, from the outside looking in she looks awesome. Great stuff as usual Garrett.
Thanks :) yeah it doesn't look too bad during gameplay but during close-ups you can see where the geometry is being warped and stuff because I'm rushing, lol. I didn't even bother making high poly models for the normal maps, I just made them by hand in Photoshop and then converted them using Nvidia's texture tools - really bad practice because the results aren't great.

Either way - it's more than good enough. So I can put my presentation together and maybe get an hour or two of sleep :p

Top 3 V Trigger no order

1. Mika (3 variations, can control timing, doesn't go away when hit)
2. Chun (combo off overhead, crlp crmk combo, people get real scared, comeback/damage/stun potential go up)
3. Ryu (bonus stun, unblockables, changing up fb timings, improves parry)

I dislike Ryu's the most of all Vs, cause it just encourages people to spam fireball in my experience. Kinda figures tho, Ryu's v skill lets him make the game 3rd strike, and his v trigger changes it to 4 lol.

Xeteh

I won't be doing anything for a while I think :p

Thanks :) yeah it doesn't look too bad during gameplay but during close-ups you can see where the geometry is being warped and stuff because I'm rushing, lol. I didn't even bother making high poly models for the normal maps, I just made them by hand in Photoshop and then converted them using Nvidia's texture tools - really bad practice because the results aren't great.

Either way - it's more than good enough. So I can put my presentation together and maybe get an hour or two of sleep :p

All of that went over my head but enjoy your sleep.

TheShah

Top 3 V Trigger no order

2. Chun (combo off overhead, crlp crmk combo, people get real scared, comeback/damage/stun potential go up)

How does Ryu's V trigger improve his parry?

KingBroly

Banned
They definitely didn't do Ken's 9th Trial right. It demands you dash forward before the final move. Fucking morons. Why would you require something like that AND THEN NOT EVEN BOTHER MENTIONING IT!?

I don't think it was that bad as you are describing. It was annoying but I've had worse so it was manageable in most situations.

yea man thats exactly what i was afraid of. pc to ps4 seems fucked for some. i was streaming and for sure me your character was zooming all over lol i stopped and watched it for a while commenting on it.

but for you it looked straight...thats insane, i remember seeing some vid talking about this, but i cant recall where to find it. hope they fix this mess

oh andddd....the only reason this bothers me so much is because you are for sure a better player and im salty....just to clear that up lol, i know 100% the outcome would not really change regardless, just feel like i cant express my style tho, and in the end thats the only reason why i play to be real...just some strange outlet. fuck it man i think im way too something

KingBroly

Banned
They included demo videos. :V

The game defaults to move names, not inputs

"But you can change it"

Same problem. It's not default, you can't change it to default and it doesn't tell you it's a thing. It's half-assery. Plain and simple.

Ken's 10th Trial just simply doesn't work and no one will EVER do it in a real match.

laaame

"But you can change it"

Same problem. It's not default, you can't change it to default and it doesn't tell you it's a thing. It's half-assery. Plain and simple.

Ken's 10th Trial just simply doesn't work and no one will EVER do it in a real match.

None of these trials are really standard combos you would see in a real match though. At best, some of these are good enough to give you the execution to do typical combos needed for the character.
Ken's 10th trial is actually a good example of this because while you say no one would ever do that combo in a real match, every top Ken player does a modified slightly harder version of that combo. That's pretty much the standard combo off a crush counter with Ken.

LegendX48

That feel when you beat a silver player, they don't change their game plan much at all but come back and beat you two matches in a row...

None of these trials are really standard combos you would see in a real match though. At best, some of these are good enough to give you the execution to do typical combos needed for the character.
Ken's 10th trial is actually a good example of this because while you say no one would ever do that combo in a real match, every top Ken player does a modified slightly harder version of that combo. That's pretty much the standard combo off a crush counter with Ken.

I've yet to see a challenge mode that isn't filled with silly nonsense combos you should never really use.

I've yet to see a challenge mode that isn't filled with silly nonsense combos you should never really use.

I don't think there will ever be one unless it comes out months and months after launch and is put together by pro players.

Trials modes aren't meant to show you the optimal, maximized combos and punishes but a way to test you execution with the character and show you a little of what they can do.

laaame

I think Nash's are pretty solid. That is literally every skill you would need to play that character with basic bnbs like c.mp-mp-scyth, moonsault-TC1- ex Scyth, a solid crush counter combo off back knuckle, and basic concept combos off V-trigger. Some of the moves used can be substituted, like b-mk instead of mp, but in general his are solid.

I know most are not amazing, with really questionable normals used, and some are straight up dumb with unnecessary inputs. I play Chun and her's are useless to an actual Chun player, though #9 is cool. In general though, the combos seem to at least get the general concept of the combo structure for that character and the trials are practically free Fight Money =D

I think Nash's are pretty solid. That is literally every skill you would need to play that character with basic bnbs like c.mp-mp-scyth, moonsault-TC1- ex Scyth, a solid crush counter combo off back knuckle, and basic concept combos off V-trigger. Some of the moves used can be substituted, like b-mk instead of mp, but in general his are solid.

I know most are not amazing, with really questionable normals used, and some are straight up dumb with unnecessary inputs. I play Chun and her's are useless to an actual Chun player, though #9 is cool. In general though, the combos seem to at least get the general concept of the combo structure for that character and the trials are practically free Fight Money =D

Exactly. I got almost 200k fm doing trials and ithe took me only around 2.5 hours to do everyones.

KingBroly

Banned
I did Cammy's, Ryu's, Chun's and Alex's, but I dropped the fps down to 30 for the last 2-3 with the last 3. Cammy' was legit, though. But I just think there are better, higher damage combos that are much easier to do than what's in her Trials.

They don't even do jHP > sHP > sMP xX Trigger Xx cMK > H Arrow > H Spike, and that's a legit combo that's baked into my brain.

Capcom missing something like that makes me think they don't understand how the character is actually being used, or they just want Trials to be 'OMG! YOU GOT AN 80 HIT COMBO SUPER GOOD!' when the 10 hit combo is 85% easier and does just as much damage.

I don't think there will ever be one unless it comes out months and months after launch and is put together by pro players.

Trials modes aren't meant to show you the optimal, maximized combos and punishes but a way to test you execution with the character and show you a little of what they can do.

I actually think it's better this way. Makes finding the good stuff feel more like a personal accomplishment somehow, even if you just cheat and youtube it. And seeing all this dumb stuff is kinda somehow endearing.

For instance, learning necalli's air combo was badass... Even if its almost completely useless in real play. Just knowing that it exists was really cool..

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im specializing in beating players with 500 more BP than me the first time, then rematching and losing horribly.

I dont even play flowchart or anything, but my style must be idiosyncratic or something, at least the first time.

Now I'm trying to specialize in getting my win and GTFO

I like the trials btw! Some combos are obviously "lol nope thats useless" but for the most part they tell you what you need to be thinking about.

"But you can change it"

I know it's already been stated but yeah people actually do use that. I've been playing Ken lately and while I don't do exactly that combo, it is a variation of it.

Spman2099

People say this like she's never had alts in sf4 with pants

To be fair, I know I wasn't exactly specific, but I was really only talking about SFV. I mean, at least one of her SFV alts looks genuinely awkward because of her lack of pants.

On top of that, SFV has been extremely efficient at making me want to forget that SFIV was a thing. Though it did have a wonderful cast of characters (wonderful because it has many of the characters I like).

Ophelion

Top 3 V Trigger no order

No Nicalli? His is a damn fine Trigger. If I was making a top five it would probably be those four and then Karin or maybe Dictator.

I do like Nash's too, but mostly because my room mate gasps in surprise every single time I nail him with it. Funny every time.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel like some of Karin's combos would be easier at 60fps...and if my Stick's Stick wasn't completely gone. It's recognizing QCF's as BDB's, ffs.

Done with Cammy, Ryu, Chun, Nash, Alex and Karin now.

I think I'll drop it down to 1fps for Ken's 10th Trial unless I figure it out. It just doesn't translate with me.

I will say that I'm starting to understand Mika, but I'm still FAR off from actually trying with her. And Laura, somehow. Both have really slowed down for me.

Shito

I think I'll drop it down to 1fps for Ken's 10th Trial unless I figure it out. It just doesn't translate with me.
Which part of this combo are you struggling on?
The super can be a bit tricky to input quick enough, but other than that if you take your time in slowly building the muscles memory to get it done, it's really not so bad.

KingBroly

Banned
Which part of this combo are you struggling on?
The super can be a bit tricky to input quick enough, but other than that if you take your time in slowly building the muscles memory to get it done, it's really not so bad.

I didn't even try it. I just looked at it and went nope.gif

I'll get back to it, but my mind was just not having it. Especially after several attempts with Ken's previous trials just simply being inconsistent at best in terms of what the result of my execution was.

Shito

I didn't even try it. I just looked at it and went nope.gif

I'll get back to it, but my mind was just not having it. Especially after several attempts with Ken's previous trials just simply being inconsistent at best in terms of what the result of my execution was.
Huhu, yeah it's not as bad as the command list makes it out to be. ^^

Shito

When's the next CPT? I'm assuming we'll get a trailer around then.
The next premier event is at the end of May in France.
Otherwise we have West Coast Warzone this week-end, and Texas Showdown next week.

I wouldn't bet on them showing new characters at ranking events if they didn't even did that for the two premier ones we had before Alex, though... :/

Zissou

I had thought Ryu's parry didn't change since nobody mentioned in the frame data available online and it's not mentioned anywhere in the official app, which is generally very thorough.

I tested it with two strings with Chun.
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.LK (4 frame startup)
and
st.LP (+2 on block) -> st.MP (5 frame startup)

I then set the Ryu dummy's guard recovery action to parry (and I was getting the 'reversal' message pop-up so I know it's executing as fast as possible).

Whether or not Ryu was in v-trigger, he could never parry the st.LK after a blocked st.LP and he could always parry the st.MP. I call bullshit on this unless I'm missing something.

I just dont think the matchmaking code is very good. Take a look at most top ranked players (9k to 11k BP) and their last ranked fight tends to be people with 1500-4000 BP So once I get to 1200 Im basically breakfast for players with 5x my skill. Its some dwarfs fortress difficulty scaling all of a sudden

Yeah, experienced this this weekend. Got the the game friday evening, by Friday night i got to 1300.

Then the game started to give me real opponents.

If I get higher than 900 im doing well. :-/

vixlar

No Nicalli? His is a damn fine Trigger. If I was making a top five it would probably be those four and then Karin or maybe Dictator.

I do like Nash's too, but mostly because my room mate gasps in surprise every single time I nail him with it. Funny every time.

I think someone before him said excluding Necalli, because is maybe the best.

Well I've gone and done it now...I'm all signed up for Texas Showdown! Entered under the name Caleb_Plays (also my CFN).

My goal is small...win one set. More excited than nervous...but still plenty nervous. This will be my first major.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom