• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I wonder if rage quitters actually realize they're pathetic at the game relative to their rank. There's already the fact that rank doesn't mean much (well, at least until you hit the real high levels), but rage quitting to get to that point... I wonder if those people really feel any sense of accomplishment or satisfaction in the fact that they have false LP and a false rank that is not representative of their skill level in the least.

It's the definition of vapid. There is nothing to gain and they're only wasting their time. If they got to the point where they were high on the leaderboards enough to be recognized before Capcom reset their account, anyone who would pay attention to them would immediately realize their ineptitude.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I wonder if rage quitters actually realize they're pathetic at the game relative to their rank. There's already the fact that rank doesn't mean much (well, at least until you hit the real high levels), but rage quitting to get to that point... I wonder if those people really feel any sense of accomplishment or satisfaction in the fact that they have false LP and a false rank that is not representative of their skill level in the least.

It's the definition of vapid. There is nothing to gain and they're only wasting their time. If they got to the point where they were high on the leaderboards enough to be recognized before Capcom reset their account, anyone who would pay attention to them would immediately realize their ineptitude.

Maybe they just really want those extra title unlocks.

gotta get that cheevo tho

Pompadour

people hoping for the patch this week, or guile. were you guys around last month when a fan made alex trailer came out before the official one? THIS. IS. CAPCOM.

Capcom is dumb but they may have learned their lesson. They either made a last second Alex trailer because of the no-trailer backlash or they were planning on showing it off at launch. Either way, I hope they realize that releasing a trailer for a character patched in two days earlier was a bad idea.

Now that the Shop works they might do the patch + server maintenance all at once so this situation will be avoided.

We might genuinely get a blog post today. There's been precedence for a update detailing showing up on the blog on the second Thursday of the month.

And there was that recent twitter announcement talking about the rage quitting solution. You don't tweet something like that out of the blue and then not clear anything up and expect everyone to wait 3 weeks until it comes out.

LakeEarth

The sad thing is that the droppers with a high enough rank to be noticed by Capcom are probably good enough to have a pretty good rank in the first place. World Combo being the obvious example, Capcom took away his points and he was back in the top 10 within a week.

But yeah, I really don't get the droppers after Gold rank. There's nothing to be gained except a false sense of accomplishment. They lose on consolation XP too, which just slows down their FM accumulation. They miss out on the immediate rematch, and they have to reload SF5, missing out on time the could've been searching for the next match (which is also slowing down their FM accumulation). Gold+ droppers are a mystery to me.

FluxWaveZ

Is there a guide for when a good time to jump towards the opponent at neutral is (so not safe jumps or even neutral jumps)? I feel like if someone could AA 100% of the time, the option would naturally not be viable at all, but people aren't robots so it becomes a mind game of jumping in when the opponent isn't prepared to AA and caught off-guard for a brief moment. I don't think I've quite learned when that moment is just yet; it'd be handy to have some kind of reference material.

Or maybe this is something that's inherently, heavily case-by-case depending on the opponent.

Is there a guide for when a good time to jump towards the opponent at neutral is (so not safe jumps or even neutral jumps)? I feel like if someone could AA 100% of the time, the option would naturally not be viable at all, but people aren't robots so it becomes a mind game of jumping in when the opponent isn't prepared to AA and caught off-guard for a brief moment. I don't think I've quite learned when that moment is just yet; it'd be handy to have some kind of reference material.

Or maybe this is something that's inherently, heavily case-by-case depending on the opponent.

This is like when you're having a staring contest and you're waiting to see who breaks first.

I usually lose in this situation. Me and an opponent are shuffling back and forth in our spots, jump distance away. I'll try to get close and sweep after getting impatient, only to get my attack jumped over.

Number45

This is going to be the case right? Your characters jump vs. your opponents available AA options differs in terms of reach, height and priority and that's before you consider how well your human opponent deals with them (or doesn't deal with them).

Even in tournament matches (at least in early stages) I've seen people not react to jump-ins, so their opponent abuses them.

Bingo. It's the kind of thing you just have to figure out from your opponent. It's difficult for people to AA on reaction when they aren't thinking about it so you kind of have to put it out of your opponents mind and then when you think they are slipping, jump. It's really difficult to describe but with experience you start to figure it out.

LakeEarth

Got my 3-win streak ranked trophy and peaced out last night.

I did the same thing when I finally got Gold rank. Once that achievement popped, I was like PEACE OUT and went to bed.

Funny story, on my way to Gold I actually got 3999LP and then lost 3 straight. I've never been so salty at a number before.

Xeteh

You have already put more thought into it than they have. Gotta get dem points!

LakeEarth

I hope the patch fixes the stats in this game. For something you'd think is relatively simple to track, I'm shocked it wasn't fixed already. Not enough manpower I suppose, I can't imagine there's a difficult problem that is making displaying a value a hassle.

I want to know how close I am to the 300 ranked win, 300 EX finish, 300 super finish achievements. I feel like I've played a ton yet none of them have popped yet.

mbpm1

I don't think there's a guide, but there probably should be one.

While watching NLBC last night I noticed that Sanford timed his jumps really well at times. He'd come in just as soon or before as he got the opponent the commit to the neutral war and hit them with a crossup as they were still recovering from a button. It was pretty cool. He made Birdie look like he didn't have an anti-air half the time.

Durden77

We'll see, I enjoy capcom fighters but put zero stock in what they say. I still remember how they said umvc3 couldn't ever support spectator mode because there are too many inputs in marvel compared to sf.

That was MvC3. UMvC3 has spectator.

But yeah, they're bullshit was the most bullshit around MvC3's release. They genuinely seem to be trying to better and come through with this game, but they're just behind and should've had more done at launch.

I hope the patch fixes the stats in this game. For something you'd think is relatively simple to track, I'm shocked it wasn't fixed already. Not enough manpower I suppose, I can't imagine there's a difficult problem that is making displaying a value a hassle.

I want to know how close I am to the 300 ranked win, 300 EX finish, 300 super finish achievements. I feel like I've played a ton yet none of them have popped yet.

Literally my biggest dissapointment with the game so far. The stat track could be amazing, but still just doesn't work at all.

LakeEarth

MvC3/UMvC3 is a victim of time limits due to licensing. Can't delay the game because it HAD to come out that year.

At least they could sell it for a few years afterwards. I think it was the Deadpool game that was only on sale for 3 months before it couldn't be manufactured anymore due to their licensing contract (though they ended up finding a deal to re-release the game on other platforms).

My biggest peeve about UMvC3 (which I've complained about before) is how much work and effort was put into H&H mode. That time and manpower could've been a patch instead of a crappy sub-mode that no one touched after a month.

FluxWaveZ

so you kind of have to put it out of your opponents mind and then when you think they are slipping, jump.

I guess this is mainly the thing I've been trying to figure out and improve at. Trying to deduce patterns and foresee what the next likely move the opponent will make based on those patterns at any given period in time. Doing that in the heat of the moment is pretty challenging, and I guess this being a case-by-case basis is because an opponent playing an exact same character as another person could still have slight differences in their patterns, making a jump-in inadvisable in the same situation it worked against the other opponent.

Complex stuff. As a Mika main, I need to get much better at the mind read aspect of the game, and there doesn't seem to be any real way to improve at that other than, like you say, more experience and encountering various types of players.

jeemer

That was MvC3. UMvC3 has spectator.

my mistake. i knew umvc3 got it in the end but you know what i mean. they implied the mvc series could not support it, and then dropped it a few months later after a couple patches. i just put little stock in what they say.

I need to see a patriot chuck some sonic plasmas today. I really hope there's some news. I am tired of maining characters I have no desire to use. Been using ma man guile since 1996. Let's goooooooooo......

jeemer

Is there a guide for when a good time to jump towards the opponent at neutral is (so not safe jumps or even neutral jumps)?

wait, aren't you ultra gold, or platinum or something? seemed to remember someone saying you were top 400.

this is dependant on the character you're playing, the character your opponent is playing, their options, their jump arcs, do they have an air throw, how much meter each person has (if meter can potentially affect character jump-in/AA options in the matchup) as well as spacing and each players playstyle. too many factors to make a straightforward guide, and not really something that could be written as a guide that applies to multiple games.

Durden77

I need to see a patriot chuck some sonic plasmas today. I really hope there's some news. I am tired of maining characters I have no desire to use. Been using ma man guile since 1996. Let's goooooooooo......

Need. NEED. TODAY.

I really really love Nash, but he could only fill the void for so long. I'm getting impatient now.

FluxWaveZ

wait, aren't you super gold, or platinum or something? seemed to remember someone saying you were top 400.

this is dependant on the character you're playing, the character your opponent is playing, their options, their jump arcs, do they have an air throw, how much meter each person has (if meter can potentially affect character jump-in/AA options in the matchup) as well as spacing and each players playstyle. too many factors to make a straightforward guide, and not really something that could be written as a guide that applies to multiple games.

I'm Platinum, yeah. So? This whole game is based around possibilities over possibilities over possibilities. Guides exist for just very minor situations like "how to deal with X attack." The fact that something as general as jump-ins is, in fact, general doesn't mean that the answer to discovery is "play more." There is ALWAYS room to improve in any aspect of the game, and finding out the smallest of tells and the smallest of reliable answers can improve one's game a SIGNIFICANT deal.

There will never be a "100% fool-proof guide to always being able to jump in." That's ludicrous, and not what I'm asking for. I'm constantly searching for any little bit of info that'll make my play stronger, and this is an aspect of the game—like any other—that I want to improve at, and that any little bit of info as to how others deal with the kind of situation helps.

Already, some of the responses have helped me think about that neutral situation from different angles. "Staring contest" is a good way for me to interpret it, and I'll keep that in mind when it comes to "who's going to crack first" while playing. Fundamentally, it seems it's about when the opponent is going to underperform in a very specific timeframe where they've abandoned the idea of anti-airing for whatever reason, and that's the exact moment one should execute a jump-in. It's so nebulous, but it's something I need to keep in mind.

jeemer

no need to get testy, i was just clarifying since it boggles my mind that you could get to platinum without a handle on jumping in the neutral game. there's nothing wrong with asking for tips or help, ever.

FluxWaveZ

no need to get testy, i was just clarifying since it boggles my mind that you could get to platinum without a handle on jumping in the neutral game. there's nothing wrong with asking for tips or help, ever.

I'm not testy, I'm elaborating on why I asked. My league has nothing to do with it and, like I said, I do have a handle on jumping in the Neutral game. Do you think Platinum players and over are perfect at that aspect of the game?

You can always learn something new. Rank got nothing to do with it imo.

jeemer

saying things like There will never be a "100% fool-proof guide to always being able to jump in." That's ludicrous, and not what I'm asking for. sounds testy to me, when i didn't claim you were asking for that. mind you half of gaf posts are full of hyperbole so it's whatever.

i've played multiple fgs for years and for the most part rank means fuck all to me. everyone makes mistakes. it just seemed unusual to me that someone who is ranked platinum in this game, with it being the upper echelons, would be asking for pointers on what seems like a very basic element of the game to me. again, nothing wrong with it! we all pick up games in our own way.

I guess this is mainly the thing I've been trying to figure out and improve at. Trying to deduce patterns and foresee what the next likely move the opponent will make based on those patterns at any given period in time. Doing that in the heat of the moment is pretty challenging, and I guess this being a case-by-case basis is because an opponent playing an exact same character as another person could still have slight differences in their patterns, making a jump-in inadvisable in the same situation it worked against the other opponent.

Complex stuff. As a Mika main, I need to get much better at the mind read aspect of the game, and there doesn't seem to be any real way to improve at that other than, like you say, more experience and encountering various types of players.

Yeah, it's tough but you do notice a difference with more time. It's even tougher for some because Mika and grapplers in general are very read heavy. To play them well you kind of have to be decent at that aspect of your game. You do start to figure it out though and a lot of players will tend to do similar things with the same characters.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

I think there's something fundamentally busted with the way they tried to implement match stats. If you've been following the game since the early betas, you should have noticed by now that there's an inverse relationship between (1) how many of those server statistics features are currently activated and (2) how well the matchmaking can actually function.

Beta 2, 3, and 4 all started out pretty similarly: Matchmaking was completely busted, but then they gradually deactivated more and more features until matchmaking worked. For example, at the start of at least one of the betas, LP, rank, and win streaks all displayed correctly, but you'd constantly get disconnected from the server. At a certain point, all that shit got turned off, at which point the game could at least run without constant disconnects or endless wait times.

They've probably had to redo a lot of that shit from scratch because it was that inefficient/buggy. I can't think of any other reason why it's taken this long. And it really doesn't surprise me at all that we've now been told that the company they contracted to handle much of their online infrastructure has literally no prior experience in the console/PC space.

saying things like There will never be a "100% fool-proof guide to always being able to jump in." That's ludicrous, and not what I'm asking for. sounds testy to me, when i didn't claim you were asking for that. mind you half of gaf posts are full of hyperbole so it's whatever.

i've played multiple fgs for years and for the most part rank means fuck all to me. everyone makes mistakes. it just seemed unusual to me that someone who is ranked platinum in this game, with it being the upper echelons, would be asking for pointers on what seems like a very basic element of the game to me. again, nothing wrong with it! we all pick up games in our own way.

Knowing when it is safe to jump in neutral isn't really a basic element of the game IMO. You have to take it so many variables and basically make an educated guess that you think the jump will work out for you.

FluxWaveZ

I dunno, then what are upper ecehlon players supposed to be asking or training at to improve their game? It's as basic as any other general element of the game like footsies, dealing with corner pressure, blocking, teching, etc. It's not because someone has a handle on any basic element of the game that they can't seek improvement on it. The most important aspects of the game are the fundamentals, and continuously improving on those pays dividends.

I also have a general handle on jump-ins. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to have made it too far if I didn't. But I still need tips on everything, and any little bit helps. I'm sure that tournament players have the same mentality.

LakeEarth

Even the best can get better. Anyone remember when Daigo had a first to 10 against Infiltration in SF4 and beat him 10-2, despite Infiltration having his number for 1-2 years straight?

And I've played offensive Platinum players that didn't have a great handle on footsies and defense. What they had was the ability to wreck your face the second they got in. Despite their rank, those guys had aspects of their game that needed improving.

Kikirin

There's definitely a case-by-case element to it due to differences in character data and options, but I feel jump-ins from neutral have worked best against me when I've committed to the poking game at neutral and the opponent gets a read on when I want to throw one out, similar to getting a read on fireball usage but with a smaller punish window. Or maybe I'm poking with the wrong buttons to be eating jump-in combos for doing so.

VariantX

I think there's something fundamentally busted with the way they tried to implement match stats. If you've been following the game since the early betas, you should have noticed by now that there's an inverse relationship between (1) how many of those server statistics features are currently activated and (2) how well the matchmaking can actually function.

Beta 2, 3, and 4 all started out pretty similarly: Matchmaking was completely busted, but then they gradually deactivated more and more features until matchmaking worked. For example, at the start of at least one of the betas, LP, rank, and win streaks all displayed correctly, but you'd constantly get disconnected from the server. At a certain point, all that shit got turned off, at which point the game could at least run without constant disconnects or endless wait times.

They've probably had to redo a lot of that shit from scratch because it was that inefficient/buggy. I can't think of any other reason why it's taken this long. And it really doesn't surprise me at all that we've now been told that the company they contracted to handle much of their online infrastructure has literally no prior experience in the console/PC space.

I never really made that connection with the stats and matchmaking. Thinking back, it does make alot of sense now.

FluxWaveZ

There's definitely a case-by-case element to it due to differences in character data and options, but I feel jump-ins from neutral have worked best against me when I've committed to the poking game at neutral and the opponent gets a read on when I want to throw one out, similar to getting a read on fireball usage but with a smaller punish window. Or maybe I'm poking with the wrong buttons to be eating jump-in combos for doing so.

That sounds like what mbpm1 said here:
I don't think there's a guide, but there probably should be one.

While watching NLBC last night I noticed that Sanford timed his jumps really well at times. He'd come in just as soon or before as he got the opponent the commit to the neutral war and hit them with a crossup as they were still recovering from a button. It was pretty cool. He made Birdie look like he didn't have an anti-air half the time.

Like a fireball with a smaller punish window, huh... Interesting.

mbpm1

Even the best can get better. Anyone remember when Daigo had a first to 10 against Infiltration in SF4 and beat him 10-2, despite Infiltration having his number for 1-2 years straight?

And I've played offensive Platinum players that didn't have a great handle on footsies and defense. What they had was the ability to wreck your face the second they got in. Despite their rank, those guys had aspects of their game that needed improving.

That is true. Although when I fight those platinum players I make excuses for them bc I still find it hard to believe you can get that high with just momentum based offense.

Like I almost beat a plat the other day just by meatying him, pressing buttons in all the disadvantaged situations bc he kept using disadvantaged moves, and sliding at a distance bc he would never stop pressing buttons. But I was like "he must have had a bad match."

ohkay

Anyone have any tips for keeping up the pressure with Karin? I think I like her more than Cammy now cuz it feels like I have to play less gimmicky to get in, but once I get in, I don't know what to do to stay in.

I dunno, then what are upper ecehlon players supposed to be asking or training at to improve their game? It's as basic as any other general element of the game like footsies, dealing with corner pressure, blocking, teching, etc. It's not because someone has a handle on any basic element of the game that they can't seek improvement on it. The most important aspects of the game are the fundamentals, and continuously improving on those pays dividends.

I also have a general handle on jump-ins. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to have made it too far if I didn't. But I still need tips on everything, and any little bit helps. I'm sure that tournament players have the same mentality.

Over the years there's little things I've picked up here and there that help me a lot with jump ins. For whatever reason, people LOVE to try to jump in on me after I forward dash or I back dash if I'm using a fireball character (which won't help you in this case), so during a dash I always buffer a dp, just in case they decide to jump. Not saying everyone jumps in this scenario, but it's definitely a pattern that I've noticed.

Another that I've noticed is someone getting hit with a dp and then immediately trying to jump in again. I'm assuming it's because they think I'm gonna throw a fireball on their wakeup (again, probably doesn't help you), so I just throw out a couple of jabs while I'm buffering another dp.

For grapplers I always try to figure out the opponents neutral jump patterns. When I use Mika, my opponents will usually neutral jump after her giant swing throw. I'm guessing they're trying to neutral jump the dropkick that they think I'm gonna toss out, so I will dash up and do an ex wingless airplane. As for regular jump ins, I just try to stay ready for them when I use Mika since most people aren't scared to jump at her since you're usually just going to eat a cr mp and that's not a huge deal unless you're in the corner. Another thing I do with Mika that's unrelated to jump ins, so it might not be information you're looking for, is I do a lot of uncharged dropkicks just to get the opponent to try to react to it. Everyone is looking for that damn thing, so I've caught a lot of people just dp'ing nothing and then I get a nice crush counter or a grab at the very least.

jeemer

Knowing when it is safe to jump in neutral isn't really a basic element of the game IMO. You have to take it so many variables and basically make an educated guess that you think the jump will work out for you.

I did say just that a few posts before where you quoted me. I phrased the post you quoted badly as I was leaving work - knowing when it's safe to jump is absolutely not a "basic" element of the game. It is however an inherent part of the learning experience if you're grinding up through the ranks.

I dunno, then what are upper ecehlon players supposed to be asking or training at to improve their game? ... I'm sure that tournament players have the same mentality.

You should ask any question that you want! I did say:

there's nothing wrong with asking for tips or help, ever.

and

we all pick up games in our own way.

Some players are free to throws, some players are more inclined to eat jumpins. We all have our own quirks and gaps in knowledge. What puzzled me was that I felt it would be fairly obvious to a player who has earned platinum (and therefore must have a decent grasp of the mechanics) that you've already had to deal with this issue an assload, but in doing so didn't recognise that this was something you can't really put together a solid guide for. There are too many potential situations. That was why I clarified your rank - it was not intended as a sleight, merely an expression of surprise. But our brains all work in different ways. When someone says "guide" i think of something super indepth like the footsies handbook.

I think what people are saying about getting people to commit to footsies is on point. They don't even really need to commit to throwing out their own, if you throw out some pokes without overdoing it you can often take their attention to the ground and jump when they're expecting the next poke to come and planning on a counter.

Playing solid and making people scared of your ground game can often make them try to counter it, jump in themselves, or get tunnel vision to the point that you can claim a jump-in for yourself.

Hope people can give you some other worthwhile pointers that can help your game out.

Shadoken

Just like two weeks left and barely any info? Not even screenshots.

Who else is expecting this to be pushed to next month. I think the Alex update also came much later than what they had scheduled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom