• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompadour

The one thing that will encourage a season 2 is that fight money will become pretty scarce as the single player allotment runs out. But then the pool of people still playing the game will be lower by that point.

I almost want to get the season pass just to encourage a season 2. I need a Q that doesn't require mods.

I hope the lesson they take from this isn't "be more like SF2 and SF4 because those sold well" and we get all the World Warriors for a third time.

El Sloth

Banned
So I'm Ultra Bronze right now, feel like I've sort of staled. Been playing casual and Battle Lounge seeking out mostly Silver level players, can't really seem to 'level up.' Ultimately, I would like to reach Gold. I know it'll take a long time and all, but that's what I'm shooting for. Is it realistic to want that without studying frame data and all that? Maybe a stupid question, but I'm curious, because I don't really understand that stuff. I have looked at a lot of things about it, but it goes over my head. I understand basic stuff with match ups (with this character it's best to do this against), but I don't get frame stuff. I just can't see it within the game at all.

Also, with the patch they had, did something change with jumping or Mika? I ask because I play Mika and people constantly jump out of my Super all the time now, where as it use to rarely happen. It's weird, I can't seem to land it hardly at all anymore.
Frame data is not the end all be all, but it can be a helpful tool. It doesn't take into account things like distance, hitting at the last moments an attack can still hit on, etc. More important is understanding when (and how) to block, when to throw (or break a throw), when you should stay grounded or jump, what buttons work best for each situation like for anti-airing or punishing, etc.

In any case, maybe seeing it visualised will help you to better understand how to read frame data:

fbqoMV5.jpg

T6WawPE.jpg

Skilletor

I wonder what will happen to the FGC if Capcom abandons SF5.

Capcom botched this launch, but the general attitude, at least on GAF, for the game is absolutely toxic outside of this thread. Most SF players don't play other games. They're not going to move on to KI, GG, or MK. They'll stick with SF and the numbers will just peter out eventually.

Mr. X

I kind of disagree. They should be focusing and promoting the here and now, not the long-term prospects of what this game will eventually become. It's what got them into this mess in the first place, and people will only balk at content planned for 2017 after they've broken promises several times already. A full outline of their 2016 plans, sure, but not stuff that is too far off.
Most discussion currently is about this month's update and thinking SFV will be abandoned. They need to fix their communication.

I would think saying S2 is happening, details at Capcom Cup would be fine. 0 info on the April stuff is crazy, we are half way through. Feels like Capcom is losing motivation.

Alucrid

Banned

Capcom botched this launch, but the general attitude, at least on GAF, for the game is absolutely toxic outside of this thread. Most SF players don't play other games. They're not going to move on to KI, GG, or MK. They'll stick with SF and the numbers will just peter out eventually.

well we can always play

uh

well

nitroplus blasterz?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

I kinda understand the botched launch ... kinda!
But what it irks me is the abysmal communication they have... they moved to a game as service model but they didnt change how they inform the player base.

ie:
- R Mika Super having extra range from corner. Bug or design?
- All the option selects. Are going to be removed?
- Alex reveal through modders
- Alex v1.1 glitch
- Networking issues: Lounges not showing the connection bar, matching to 1 bar connections ignoring the 5 bar filter
- Failed to retrieve stats from server, disconnections ,etc
- Quality of life changes: Saving Training Mode Options, being able to cut the super long after match cutscene, etc

They gotta #StepUp their approach.

Pompadour

I doubt the FGC will abandon SFV even if Capcom does. They still play UMvC3, after all.

It would be interesting to see what game headlines Evo in 2017 because surely it would be another popular game with a sizeable pot. Maybe MKX as ridiculous as that sounds.

FluxWaveZ

Allegedly from Nemo. Amused (and satisfied) at Bison's placement as it agrees with my own thoughts (that I got ridiculed for when people said he was top 5).

English.

C6TYrew.png

It's interesting to me how all of the character towards the upper right are the ones I have the least amount of interest and fun playing.

I've been playing Ryu for a bit and I just don't have a great time playing as him. I picked up Laura and in 2 days I'm better than my Ryu ever was, and I have way more fun playing as her. Guess the "flawed" spectrum really is an aspect of my playstyle.

Skilletor

I kinda understand the botched launch ... kinda!
But what it irks me is the abysmal communication they have... they moved to a game as service model but they didnt change how they inform the player base.

ie:
- All the option selects. Are going to be removed?
- Alex reveal through modders
- Alex v1.1 glitch
- Networking issues: Lounges not showing the connection bar, matching to 1 bar connections ignoring the 5 bar filter
- Failed to retrieve stats from server, disconnections ,etc
- Quality of life changes: Saving Training Mode Options, being able to cut the super long after match cutscene, etc

They gotta #StepUp their approach.

No, I completely agree. Capcom seemed ill-prepared for this launch. Not only the way it launched, but what has come after.

But the attitude around the game is just so damn toxic. Any thread about fighting games devolves into people lambasting the game and then arguments about how it launched. People are taking pleasure in seeing the game fail after so many capcom players have "looked down" at other games.

But I think SF is a tentpole of the FGC. Outside of Smash, nothing provides the numbers SF does to have tourneys as big as the majors we have now. If SF dies, those people don't move to other games, they just stop playing. imo.

I just wonder if I'm right and, if so, what the next couple of years will look like.

I doubt the FGC will abandon SFV even if Capcom does. They still play UMvC3, after all.

It would be interesting to see what game headlines Evo in 2017 because surely it would be another popular game with a sizeable pot. Maybe MKX as ridiculous as that sounds.

This is true. I think this game could last awhile for sure. I'm just glass half empty right now. Tired of reading all the arguments everywhere about this game, especially when my time, outside of RQ, has been amazing.

It's interesting to me how all of the character towards the upper right are the ones I have the least amount of interest and fun playing.

I've been playing Ryu for a bit and I just don't have a great time playing as him. I picked up Laura and in 2 days I'm better than my Ryu ever was, and I have way more fun playing as her. Guess the "flawed" spectrum really is an aspect of my playstyle.

Flawed = No invincible reversal
Balanced = Invincible Reversal or at least an EX Invincible Reversal

except for Nash because he's as solid as they come

FluxWaveZ

Flawed = No invincible reversal
Balanced = Invincible Reversal or at least an EX Invincible Reversal

except for Nash because he's as solid as they come

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Characters without those kinds of reversal options make up for it (or are at least designed to) in ways that are probably more appealing to me.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. Characters without those kinds of reversal options make up for it (or are at least designed to) in ways that are probably more appealing to me.

I'd like to see Mika/Laura and Alex' armor attacks all have frame 1 armor like Birdie's ex Bullhorn but still be throwable.

there's a lot of things I'd like to see tbh

Pompadour

i say guaranteed s1-3.

Killer Instinct got 3 seasons so I think if SFV went F2P they could make that happen. Unless Microsoft is throwing way more money at KI than Sony is with SFV.

I feel like Capcom realized that F2P is the future of Street Fighter but they also saw the SF name still held a lot of value and tried to wring $60 out of their fanbase one more time before they made the switch. Of course, this bad launch they have dwindled the value the SF name held as a big, full-priced property.

MrCarter

Games with high profile launches that bomb like a muddafukka don't have legs. Capcom has misread the market and fucked up in the most incredible fashion.

Capcom have certainly read the market wrong but that's not to say they can't improve and rectify these issues as time goes on. Fighting games are a niche market (especially if they are from Japan) and they will never sell as much as the big AAA games.

FluxWaveZ

Capcom have certainly read the market wrong but that's not to say they can't improve and rectify these issues as time goes on. Fighting games are a niche market (especially if they are from Japan) and they will never sell as much as the big AAA games.

Never is a strong word. There's Mortal Kombat X. There's Super Smash. There was even Street Fighter IV. Even Pokken is outperforming SFV right now.

MrCarter

Also I'll take this time to introduce myself. Hello guys and girls! I've been a long time lurker but I've finally got my Gaf account approved :D Hope to talk, debate and possibly argue about the world of fighting games and SFV in particular and help support this title throughout its tenure.

El Sloth

Banned
ie:
On this actually, for those that don't already know, the way this works is that Mika moves back when she does her super and then lunges a set distance forward. In the corner, she's prevented from moving back so she essesntially remains still but still lunges the same set distance forward, inadverdently giving her super more range that it normally has.

I wonder if they'll adjust it by letting Mika move beyond the invisible wall during her super or reducing the distance in the corner. I personally think they should leave it as is, and instead add an animation of her bouncing off of some ropes in the corner. Embrace it!

Also I'll take this time to introduce myself. Hello guys and girls! I've been a long time lurker but I've finally got my Gaf account approved :D Hope to talk, debate and possibly argue about the world of fighting games and SFV in particular and help support this title throughout its tenure.
Welcome to the wonderful world of NeoGAF!

MrCarter

Never is a strong word. There's Mortal Kombat X. There's Super Smash. There was even Street Fighter IV. Even Pokken is outperforming SFV right now.

I did say AAA titles. MKX did sell well but that is very casual friendly with a huge American company like WB beind thier belt and with Pokken...it's Pokemon. Capcom, Arc System Works and smaller companies don't have that power unfortunately even though they have better gameplay and core mechanics in thier games.

Oh goodness the doom and gloom reached here too. I guess every NPD is going to be like this. SFV will be fine guys...call it a hunch.

Capcom is going to at the very least turn this into a great game for both SP and MP lovers before they give up on it. Oh and we actually don't have sales numbers WW yet. It might have sold through 600k-800k by now. This is not a game to judge until it's been out for probably a year. The model for the game to make money is not even up yet. And perhaps Capcom is slow about updates because they actually meant what they preached before launch that this is a service, every month will have something new, no reason to keep reiterating things until they are ready to showcase.

Paris Event on the 23rd btw...

Alchemist

You guys worry way too much. Season 2 is a lock.

Oh goodness the doom and gloom reached here too. I guess every NPD is going to be like this. SFV will be fine guys...call it a hunch.

Capcom is going to at the very least turn this into a great game for both SP and MP lovers before they give up on it. Oh and we actually don't have sales numbers WW yet. It might have sold through 600k-800k by now. This is not a game to judge until it's been out for probably a year. The model for the game to make money is not even up yet. And perhaps Capcom is slow about updates because they actually meant what they preached before launch that this is a service, every month will have something new, no reason to keep reiterating things until they are ready to showcase.

Exactly. Posting crap like "they're scrambling to get the season pass characters out" without any proof is just fanning the flames.

They need to announce s2 support at E3 to get everyone talking about SFV. The longer they stay silent and current news is still scarce, the harder it gets for them to recover.

"I'll wait for the complete edition". Announcing stuff too far ahead not gonna make casuals buy now.

Think they need announce more significant content for this year if they want people buying now.

Season 2 and 3 are probably locks because this is an investment by Sony, and they'll do whatever it takes to get this shit rolling. The easiest solution is to keep updating the game with content and provide enough DLC to make money back on. If they find that balancing act, they probably won't give a shit less about overall sales or trying to hit six million if the revenue from DLC is high enough.

Quesa

Reminder that NPD doesn't track digital sales, which could be maybe like 30-40% of PS4 sales and probably like 99% of PC sales

You guys worry way too much. Season 2 is a lock.

Exactly. Posting crap like "they're scrambling to get the season pass characters out" without any proof is just fanning the flames.
Yea unfortunately it's the nature of how information is spread. They just need a big positive something for it to take a turn. I'm hoping they can just hit a million sold, that's a nice PR update and Diago finally coming out to one of the events. Just need a positive spin to get going, I'm just surprised so many people think they'll just pack up and leave. SF is one of the staples of Capcom they are going to work on this the rest of the generation.

And Evo is going to be hype!! Infiltration, Mago, Tokido, Diago, Momochi, I can't wait!

LakeEarth

Anyone know any AI holes that Alex can abuse? I want to finish his hard survival mode before he is no longer free.

EDIT - most just keep doing the medium jumping headbutt move, which works for the most part, but the AI will suddenly neutral jump it which can ruin your day pretty quickly. Still, it's the best he seems to have.

If order 1886 gets a sequel i am sure capcom will get the funds for s2. But i am almost sure they will give f2p a try before abandoning this game. If f2p picks up then they will move on to more updates. Also Capcoms communication with player base has been abysmal. If you are trying to sell a service and not a one and done game then you gotta communicate. MMO companies like blizzard who sell you services like WoW or D3 always keep their player base in the loop. While MMO companies like Bioware who was like capcom had their game go f2p less than a year. SWTOR was a colossal failure as p2p game. cost on that game was 500 mil btw IIRC. Capcom is not experienced enough to follow this kind of model. They should have just kept making super,ultra versions and should allowed people to update via DLC like IV.

No, I completely agree. Capcom seemed ill-prepared for this launch. Not only the way it launched, but what has come after.

But the attitude around the game is just so damn toxic. Any thread about fighting games devolves into people lambasting the game and then arguments about how it launched. People are taking pleasure in seeing the game fail after so many capcom players have "looked down" at other games.

But I think SF is a tentpole of the FGC. Outside of Smash, nothing provides the numbers SF does to have tourneys as big as the majors we have now. If SF dies, those people don't move to other games, they just stop playing. imo.

I just wonder if I'm right and, if so, what the next couple of years will look like.

This is true. I think this game could last awhile for sure. I'm just glass half empty right now. Tired of reading all the arguments everywhere about this game, especially when my time, outside of RQ, has been amazing.

That way GAF/the Internet have latched on to attack this game is crazy. You'd think this is the absolute worst fighting game of all time based on how much it gets attacked. I can't believe how toxic it is. People takes jabs at the game every chance they get. It reminds me of the Destiny backlash, which oddly enough, is a game whose gameplay I enjoy quite a bit as well. Ive gotten more than my moneys worth out of both SFV and Destiny compared to 90% of other games I've bought this gen. Maybe I just like "shitty" games.

I am pretty sure we will at least see a season 2 but if it fails after that then we might be in trouble.

Yes, thanks for the positivity injection.

Alchemist

Yea unfortunately it's the nature of how information is spread. They just need a big positive something for it all time turn around. I'm hoping they can just hit a million sold, that's a nice PR update and Diago finally coming out to one of the events. Just need a positive spin to get going, I'm just surprised so many people think they'll just pack up and leave. SF is one of the staples of Capcom they are going to work on this the rest of the generation.

GAF is by far the most negative forum when it comes to this game. When I read posts about cancelling the Pro Tour and Capcom issuing refunds, I can't help but think they want the game to fail.

Gaf wants everything that's not Nintendo to fail.

Edit: I've seriously not seen as much hate for sfv anywhere else. For some reason gaf just seems hell bent on bad mouthing this game.

For some reason casuals/rpg players in this site LOVES to talk about this game. But it seems to me they hate this game sooo much that it didn't cater to their SP needs. Yet they can't seem to stop talking about it. Just look at any non SFV fighting game thread. They go in there to bash SFV anyway lol..I didn't know so many people was butthurt this bad because no arcade mode lol.

MrCarter

Gaf is full of entitled, petty and childish manbois who take everything negatively. I wouldn't take them too seriously if I was you.

GAF is by far the most negative forum when it comes to this game. When I read posts about cancelling the Pro Tour and Capcom issuing refunds, I can't help but think they want the game to fail.

This is definitely true. I see (completely fair and justified) complaints about this game on other sites but there are some people (could name them but won't) on here who will do nothing but try to shit on this game for every little thing that's wrong. Hell, even in that KI 6 mil users thread, someone just had to bring up SFV even though it wasn't related at all.

Welcome to the thread. Post here frequent enough and you'll get your GAF member in no time!

_jnup

For some reason casuals/rpg players in this site LOVES to talk about this game. But it seems to me they hate this game sooo much that it didn't cater to their SP needs. Yet they can't seem to stop talking about it. Just look at any non SFV fighting game thread. They go in there to bash SFV anyway lol..I didn't know so many people was butthurt this bad because no arcade mode lol.

Those people want to beat arcade mode on 8 stars and think they're good at the game.

Well negative or positive there's a lot of people that care about the game. Well have to deal with the negative until it's not negative anymore lol. I would say the first big single player update and Evo should be turning point. No SFV isn't going to sell 100k in NPD that month, but it should start the transition from positive to negative.

Swarna

For F2P to work Capcom would have to improve their online experience a lot faster than they currently are. Seriously, why can't you even chat in-game?

I'm worried about where resources are going and how decisions have been made, frankly. They didn't have the budget or features for a $60 single-player release but went ahead and sold it as such. Now they're saying they're going to put in more SP content than planned...seriously that shit's gonna be useless at this point. Survival mode giving you fight money and colours is just lmao.

Curious to see what happens but I still think they can turn this around if they go all-in on the service approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom