• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

quanchu

7 Online was a mess and near unplayable for days after launch. Seriously, MKX for freaking pc was better at launch than SF5.

I'm not saying SFV is in the best shape but you literally couldn't even open MKX when it came out. Also it had one of the most unplayable garbage netcodes i have ever experienced and still does on the PC version.

Pompadour

I'm with Count on this. Even if SFV released as The Perfect Game it still wouldn't have met Capcom's sales projections. We've seen big name games before review poorly and have janky issues but still sell on the name, at least for the first month. If the Street Fighter name is only worth this much, there wasn't much hope to begin with.

I dunno what that says about the future of the genre, other than there needs to be a more drastic change in approach. F2P is probably inevitable.

Yeah, I think people on gaming forums like this one are fed up that big name games that launch colossally fucked up get away with it because the franchise itself is strong. It's something that happens multiple times a year to the point where you can expect any given AAA title with online functionality bring broken on launch. So with this game people can look at the sales and think "Yes, my opinions on the quality of this game do matter" as opposed to "The Street Fighter name has weakened considerably."

Pretty much. So, so much easier to sell. Particularly as Street Fighter has a reputation for being inaccessible (reinforced by the choices made by Capcom regarding the games' launch, despite what they said about their design philosophy) and is a Japanese, non "realistic" title.

The gore and horror guest characters is a big part of MKX's success as well.

Make a gore/dismemberment mod for SFV ;) You will single handedly save the series.

Yeah, I think people on gaming forums like this one are fed up that big name games that launch colossally fucked up get away with it because the franchise itself is strong. It's something that happens multiple times a year to the point where you can expect any given AAA title with online functionality bring broken on launch. So with this game people can look at the sales and think "Yes, my opinions on the quality of this game do matter" as opposed to "The Street Fighter name has weakened considerably."

This is the case where the general internet joined into the negativity. Every game that comes out has hate on forums, warranted or not, it is just that this time even mainstream media, YTers, and people who have no interest in FGs joined in on it too.

If SFV does poorly they can always pull the nuclear option

SF vs MK
100.gif

Mediking

I've always said that Capcom should've reached out to DC to give Mika a cool Power Girl costume. Just stuff like that can go a long way.... Market cool stuff like that BEFORE the game releases.

The God

Season 2 and 3 are probably locks because this is an investment by Sony, and they'll do whatever it takes to get this shit rolling. The easiest solution is to keep updating the game with content and provide enough DLC to make money back on. If they find that balancing act, they probably won't give a shit less about overall sales or trying to hit six million if the revenue from DLC is high enough.
I hope you're right.

Trickster

I'm not saying SFV is in the best shape but you literally couldn't even open MKX when it came out. Also it had one of the most unplayable garbage netcodes i have ever experienced and still does on the PC version.

I could start the game just fine and get matches. They were just complete garbage and practically unplayable because of lag. But I could at least get matches, which is more than I can say for SF5 at launch.

I could start the game just fine and get matches. They were just complete garbage and practically unplayable because of lag. But I could at least get matches, which is more than I can say for SF5 at launch.

Would you rather get games that are unplayable quicker or wait a little longer and get games that are playable? Kind of seems like a moot point in favor of MKX launch.

Anyways guys how's that Guile trailer?
:(

Ah man, it bums me out that SFV is doing so poorly in sales. My soul will be crush-countered if we don't get a season 2.

Capcom, I'm rooting for you to turn things around.

I hope you're right.

It's not like SFV is doing THAT bad. 1.5 million WW currently (that's napkin math, mind you) isn't what they wanted or projected, but it's not 200k like some people were suggesting it to be. So depending on how they do the DLC, there's still money to be made from that, and SF can only grow bigger with continued support.

And, as a benefit for all fighting games, we have a bunch coming out this year, events are filling out more and more, and the FGC is getting bigger. KI3 doing gangbusters on user (and probably sales from that!), a new KOF, another GG and BB revision, Tekken on consoles, and sequels to Garou and VF possibly happening will grow the genre and keep the competition tight. Everyone will win so long as they seek to profit.

I obviously can't answer that definitively.

But if someone seriously suggests that the lack of content and crippling online launch issues didn't negatively affectthe reviews, word of mouth, and sales. Those people would have to be off their rocker.

Ask yourself what kind of sales MKX would have had without all the extra things to do outside of online ( story mode especially ).

I don't know, bad reviews don't tend to work that fast. Its ussually a sequel that suffers for its predecessor. I mean, I'm not saying they didn't effect it, I'm saying this got bad sales possibly for other reasons as well. The ad campaign wasn't aggressive enough. Perhaps sf4's ridiculous staying power burned some people out, or perhaps the appeal of a non cinematic fighting game without a ton of cameo's is just this low in 2016.

Pompadour

I for one welcome F2P, but that needs a working matchmaking system.

Maybe the matchmaking isn't broken, there's just way too few people playing to get adequate match ups based on skill and ping.

GGXrd and the last BlazBlue I had to drop because the matchmaking was awful, likely due in part because the games didn't sell that great. If SFV sold something like 500k and half of those dropped it by now then the matchmaking can only do so much.
I don't know, bad reviews don't tend to work that fast. Its ussually a sequel that suffers for its predecessor. I mean, I'm not saying they didn't effect it, I'm saying this got bad sales possibly for other reasons as well. The ad campaign wasn't aggressive enough. Perhaps sf4's ridiculous staying power burned some people out, or perhaps the appeal of a non cinematic fighting game without a ton of cameo's is just this low in 2016.

Yes, most sales for a game are Day 1 and the backlash didn't start until near the end of the week. The initial reviews were actually pretty favorable as well.

I think the backlash just killed it's sales in March but didn't impact it's launch.

Mediking

Then according to these sales ain't a lot of loyal fans..

Only the LOYAL remain. Loyal as in people who watch the FGC every now and then and actually know about events and may not participate in events but still take SFV somewhat seriously.

Same thing will happen with the new Tekken... only the LOYAL and people are who genuinely interested (NOT CASUAL) will remain.

I wouldn't necessarily say that when we've got Laura and all her alt costumes.
Laura makes me embarrassed to play as her. Bottom of her breast are out. Thong is hiked up to show off with her barely there shorts. They could have at least made an alt where she has clothes on

El Sloth

Banned
Street Fighter is like the top tier of fighting games though. I don't think Capcom did the series perception a favour by releasing so many versions of SF4.
Huh? How? Capcom kept SF in the public mind by constantly supporting the game. Only people I saw complain were dudes who throw fits about having "complete versions".

Pompadour

Huh? How? Capcom kept SF in the public mind by constantly supporting the game. Only people I saw complain were dudes who throw fits about having "complete versions".

That's a big, divisive issue that fighting games face. I think any fighting game fan appreciates the updates and long term support but the "casual" fan thinks they're getting scammed. So effectively the fighting game community would have to sacrifice long term support so that the brand is "fresh" and future iterations will sell better.

This is one of the big reasons why I want the F2P model to take off for fighting games. I don't want something I'm invested in to be beholden to the whims of a group who only kind of cares about these games. There's people out there that, if they had their way, would have had us stuck with vanilla SF4 for the past seven years.

Mediking

That's a big, divisive issue that fighting games face. I think any fighting game fan appreciates the updates and long term support but the "casual" fan thinks they're getting scammed. So effectively the fighting game community would have to sacrifice long term support so that the brand is "fresh" and future iterations will sell better.

This is one of the big reasons why I want the F2P model to take off for fighting games. I don't want something I'm invested in to be beholden to the whims of a group who only kind of cares about these games. There's people out there that, if they had their way, would have had us stuck with vanilla SF4 for the past seven years.

The casuals don't give a damn. They're too busy worrying about COD, ignoring JRPGS, and focusing on the next big mainstream game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom