• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. X

Does nobody remember how mean Alex was to Elena in SF3? And don't try to justify it with that "It's Elena" stuff.

tumblr_lo1949q3s01qeyvx3o1_500.jpg
Alex is brash and a trash talker.

But you're still missing the point. R Mika is a mix of hyper femininity, sexualisation, and fitness that perfectly suits her character because her occupation is a professional mix of hyper femininity, sexualisation, and fitness.

Laura is just eye candy with no depth. She is literally stupid (watch her story cutscenes) and her every animation is tailored towards sexual pleasure for the viewer. We cannot say that Laura's design suits her because there is nothing to her character beyond it.

mbpm1

Bro, it's just a character. I like FANG and I can see why people don't like FANG's schtick.

Ryu has no personality.

Ken's English VA is horrible.

Birdie is perfection.

Cammy's story can get kinda boring.

Necalli is stupid.

EDIT: Bison is dope.

Rashid is also dope.

Chun-Li is classic Chun-Li, you can't hate her.

Zangief can get a tad annoying at times.

Karin is cool.

Vega doesn't exist :(

Every female in this game should dress in a nun's habit or I'm quitting Street Fighter forever.

Alex and Ryu's bare chest and abs are fine as male sex appeal is not a real thing.

Mediking

But you're still missing the point. R Mika is a mix of hyper femininity, sexualisation, and fitness that perfectly suits her character because her occupation is a professional mix of hyper femininity, sexualisation, and fitness.

Laura is just eye candy with no depth. She is literally stupid (watch her story cutscenes) and her every animation is tailored towards sexual pleasure for the viewer. We cannot say that Laura's design suits her because there is nothing to her character beyond it.

I can be a asshole and say you are reaching so hard with that Mika speech of yours.

But guess what? I agree that Mika is more than a "Senpai, notice me!" girl for Zangief. It's a shame you just can't see that Laura is more than just her body.

Quesa

I like Mika but I can be rough like you guys are being to Laura. Mika is just a "Senpai, notice me!!!" girl to Zangief. WAS THAT FAIR?

See, this is why the Mika butt slap thing was actually kinda important.

Let's be honest: in a vacuum, none of these characters are super-deep or all that interesting. Hopefully the story mode does more to flesh that out.

What makes Laura such an egregious character, in my mind, is that she's not a super-deep character and her outfits feel less like they're something Laura picked out for herself and more like they're outfits designed by men who think that they'd be sexy or something woman should share. Laura can be as confident about her body as she wants -- she has no agency. None of the characters do, of course, but none of the other characters wear -- or, in this case, have been given -- the kinds of outfits Laura has.

Adding to that, the camera ogles her and as such assumes everyone who plays the game will want to ogle her as well. When the player does want to ogle her, no real issues arise. But when the viewer doesn't want to ogle her and the camera still does -- saying "look! look! This is sexy! Find this sexy!" it's super-uncomfortable.

The reason they removed the Mika's buttslap from view (and made an alteration to Cammy's intro I don't remember) is because after seeing the backlash, the designers realized those angles were ogling the characters as well, and since they didn't see Mika or Cammy as characters they wanted to sexualize that way, they removed the shots. They didn't alter Laura's at all. That should give you a clue as to what the designers think of her, and what they expect you to think of her as well.

Scotia

Banned
Mika makes sense. She is a professional wrestler - a dramatic one at that - so her appearance is not off key with her character. Example:

This is what women who do Jiu Jitsu ACTUALLY wear:

Laura is fairly similar except emphasis on breasts, ass and her stomach showing. Mika is similar to a Japanese female wrestler except for emphasis on breasts and ass.

Part of me feels like you just don't like Laura.

stn

I like Laura, she really grew on me. Though I think she'd look better if her braids were instead a #1 buzzcut. Same way I think Rashid would look better if he ditched the eye piece and didn't have a pointy beard. Ken needs a new face and Vega needs a new face during his CA animation.

With regards to Laura, SF will always have sexual female characters. Same way it will always have characters made out of stereotypes. Rufus the fat American? Dhalsim the Hindu who wears a turban? Rashid the Arabian who wears sandals? Dee-Jay's last alt costume from SF4? I could go on forever.

Laura is fairly similar except emphasis on breasts, ass and her stomach showing.
So not similar at all? :p
Part of me feels like you just don't like Laura.
I have no issue with Laura's fighting style and I wouldn't have bought the game if I disapproved of the content so much. I just feel that a certain level of fan service is acceptable and other levels are not. There is so much to differentiate the presentation of Laura vs. literally any of the other SFV women.

Mediking

See, this is why the Mika butt slap thing was actually kinda important.

Let's be honest: in a vacuum, none of these characters are super-deep or all that interesting. Hopefully the story mode does more to flesh that out.

What makes Laura such an egregious character, in my mind, is that she's not a super-deep character, her outfits feel less like they're something Laura picked out for herself and more like they're outfits designed by men who think that they'd be sexy or something woman should share. Laura can be as confident about her body as she wants -- she has no agency. None of the characters do, of course, but none of the other characters wear -- or, in this case, have been given -- the kinds of outfits Laura has.

Adding to that, the camera ogles her and as such assumes everyone who plays the game will want to ogle her as well. When the player does want to ogle her, no real issues arise. But when the viewer doesn't want to ogle her and the camera still does -- saying "look! look! This is sexy! Find this sexy!" it's super-uncomfortable.

The reason they removed the Mika's buttslap from view (and made an alteration to Cammy's intro I don't remember) is because after seeing the backlash, the designers realized those angles were ogling the characters as well, and since they didn't see Mika or Cammy as characters they wanted to sexualize that way, they removed the shots. They didn't alter Laura's at all. That should give you a clue as to what the designers think of her, and what they expect you to think of her as well.

"Backlash" from people who didn't even buy the game, I bet.

And did you dislike Poison from SFIV?????

Scotia

Banned
So not similar at all? :p

It looks like she literally took a jiu-jitsu gi and cut if off to show her stomach.

I have no issue with Laura's fighting style and I wouldn't have bought the game if I disapproved of the content so much. I just feel that a certain level of fan service is acceptable and other levels are not. There is so much to differentiate the presentation of Laura vs. literally any of the other SFV women.

I understand why people might have issues with Laura. I really do. It just bugs me when people focus all this hate on one character (not necessarily Laura) for being over-sexualised when there are others that are just as fan-servicey. And no, Laura is not the only one that is fan-servicey.

Do Hindus wear turbans though? I thought that was other culture's things
I was specifically talking about the middle easterners wearing sandals thing, which does happen quite often.

It's mainly Sikhs who wear Turbans though you might see the occasional Hindu who wears one. It's pretty rare though.

Quesa

And did you dislike Poison from SFIV?????

I liked her style of play, but some of those angles and her win pose were a little hard to deal with. That's a bit of tangent, though.

I'll say this: it's okay for you to like Laura. I understand if the tone of the conversation has made you think you're a creep or a bad person for liking her. But I think it's important to point these things out, and acknowledging these things doesn't mean you have to reject her character entirely. Hell, I'm a Mika player.

Everything about this screams sexual.

You're not wrong.

I liked her style of play, but some of those angles and her win pose were a little hard to deal with. That's a bit of tangent, though.

I'll say this: it's okay for you to like Laura. I understand if the tone of the conversation has made you think you're a creep or a bad person for liking her. But I think it's important to point these things out, and acknowledging these things doesn't mean you have to reject her character entirely. Hell, I'm a Mika player.
Agreed, this whole "Laura hate" wasn't trying to say that it's not ok to like her or that her gameplay is flawed in anyway. It's just an argument over her design, and arguments usually have differing opinions.

stn

Its not a stereotype per se, because I'm sure people living in a hot Middle Eastern country prefer to wear sandals, but it feels tacked on to me. Remember Balrog's horror alt from SF4. Of course they gave him a du-rag and a fitted hat. Of course.

mbpm1

Its not a stereotype per se, because I'm sure people living in a hot Middle Eastern country prefer to wear sandals, but it feels tacked on to me. Remember Balrog's horror alt from SF4. Of course they gave him a du-rag and a fitted hat. Of course.

what would you prefer then

This is made by the company that made Deejay, what do you really expect though.

wait til you see his premium alt

The teams should have been Lili/Bob vs Karin/Rufus
Karin/Birdie is the new hotness tho. RIP the dream
Missed opportunity to inclide Karin in SFxTK considering Lili was in there lol. Asuka vs Lili is kinda like the Sakura vs Karin rivalry, right?
tru. although I still cannot stand SFxT's art style jbhnds it was like a worse SFIV and everyone slipped and landed in a tub of massage oil.

qcf x2

Speaking of fellatio, the one thing that bugs me about Alex is how all of the win quotes from other characters when beating him are complementary. "Oh wow, what a fight! I can't wait to see how you improve!" "Wow, you have some real skills!" It's kind of annoying.

Maybe because they know he's the next face of the franchise, canonically.

Nah, I agree with everyone else. Laura is a brick. Mika and Ken have far more depth to them than Laura does. Laura literally just has this, with no complexity to any of these:

1. Sexiness and her will to flaunt it.
2. She is a Matsuda Jiu jitsu evangelist to an annoying extent.
3. She wants to fight strong opponents.

It does a great disservice to characters like Mika or Ken when you compare Laura's background and personality to them.

This is much less stupid/annoying than Sakura, whose entire character is "I wanna be like the homeless guy." Nothing wrong with being 1 dimensional though, and at least in Laura's case she's 2 or 3. Ryu is just "I want to fight." Akuma is just "teenage boys think I'm badass because I'm EVILLLLLLL" and Bison is, yeah, "EVILLLLLL"

Blanka literally doesn't even have any depth, lol. This is Street Fighter, bro.

Mika makes sense. She is a professional wrestler - a dramatic one at that - so her appearance is not off key with her character. Example:

This is what women who do Jiu Jitsu ACTUALLY wear:

We have enough characters in gis though. Nothing wrong w/ Laura having a unique take on the outfit, especially considering she's a Brazillian bombshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom