• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeEarth

I read that you can land Alex's fully charged v-trigger off a crush counter sweep cancelled into his v-trigger. I haven't tried it myself, but that sounds like something super powerful against non-reversal characters.

Ok, I've tested this out and it works, but the timing is super tough.

If you time it perfectly, reversals will pass through you. However, charge too late and it will hit you. Charge too early, and the game will autocorrect the reversal and hit you. But there is a perfect timing where it will both hit the player on wakeup if they do nothing/block/spam jab, and go through invulnerable moves if they try to reversal.

I tried to CC sweep xx v-trigger, tap s.lp or c.lp then immediately charge clothesline, but it wasn't "perfect". It was almost perfect, and will catch jumpers or non-invulnerable moves, but I'd still get hit by the reversal. Also, clothesline has a lot of recovery, so you don't really get to punish the whiffed reversal unless it was a super.

Still, pretty powerful.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

If you time it perfectly, reversals will pass through you. However, a frame early and it will hit you. A frame later, and the game will autocorrect the reversal and hit you. But there is a perfect timing where it will both hit the player on wakeup if they do nothing/block/spam jab, and go through invulnerable moves if they try to reversal.

I tried to CC sweep xx v-trigger, tap s.lp or c.lp then immediately charge clothesline, but it wasn't "perfect". It was almost perfect, and will catch jumpers or non-invulnerable moves, but I'd still get hit by the reversal. Also, clothesline has a lot of recovery, so you don't really get to punish the whiffed reversal unless it was a super.

Still, pretty powerful.

*frantically scribbles down notes*

Going to try this later in the lab.

Why make a Continue cost anything??? Trying to get more colors shouldn't be full of stress and regret.

1st Continue should be free.

Any other Continue after that can cost Points but still shouldn't cost that much.

Cater to the freaking userbase that's actually playing your game. Don't slap them around. CATER to them.
It's a survival mode. No.

Normally you just rely on how you play and hope that you performed well enough to get life back.

The AI in this survival mode is actually really really easy compared to survival mode in most fighting games. Hell, even other Capcom fighters have had harder Survival modes than this shit. I'd argue that SF4 had a harder survival but it was made trivial by Zangief's lariat.

I'd say this is just cuz the game is still new. Once people figure this game out, the parries will become a lot more prevalent in high level play

I'm seeing this in my own play and I'm just a lowly barely gold Ryu. I went from not using it at all to finding uses for it against certain moves to seeing how I can use it against certain patterns and block strings.

I need to start using it more against cross ups because they're usually not done deep enough to maintain frame advantage. Its not something I should always do but I should at least show them I will use it against certain things and that may change how my opponent approaches me.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Guys, just installed a Seimitsu LS-40 into one of my HRAP's. Wow. This is a great stick. I am shocked I overlooked it all this time. It is smoooth and responsive and feels like something in-between a JLF and a Hayabusa. I have to give it a prolonged session, but a bit of time in the lab just now made me a believer.

I read it was stiffer than the LS-32, which I have in my Madcatz SE, but it didn't feel that way at all. It's stiff, but whatever magic is happening inside masks it in comparison.

Really, really good stick. Will it replace the Hayabusa as my current fave? Possibly.

Mediking

It's a survival mode. No.

Normally you just rely on how you play and hope that you performed well enough to get life back.

The AI in this survival mode is actually really really easy compared to survival mode in most fighting games. Hell, even other Capcom fighters have had harder Survival modes than this shit. I'd argue that SF4 had a harder survival but it was made trivial by Zangief's lariat.

"It's easy for me so it's easy for others!" Is that your argument?

There's even a part in a Excellent Adventures episode when Gootecks sort've (very slowly) says he think Survival Mode is fun and Mike Ross rolled his eyes and flicked his hand in annoyance.

Survival Mode can burn in Hell.

Nothing more crushing than when you lose and you get NOTHING. Not even a compensation color.

So guys, it's been almost 2 months. What are your opinions on FANG?

I've been playing him almost exclusively until Guile comes out and I'm really enjoying him. He can exert some damn good pressure and has pretty good normals. That cr.hp man.

I am like you, but i don't think Guile is going to change how I feel, recently starting to think this was a bad purchase..I would venture into F2P KI season 3, but damn the DL is a lot for my connection, so I will continue playing for now, but who knows when SFV will be moved to my Never Play again list on Steam Library...

I think part of my problem is that I've played since the original SF2 release and this is just too much of the same. That and the game has too much of a similar look to SF4, which I was already tired of seeing. Previous iterations had a pretty drastic change in style between each game. Anyway, this is isn't a rant thread, so I'll bide my time until maybe the roster picks up some interesting characters

I think part of my problem is that I've played since the original SF2 release and this is just too much of the same. That and the game has too much of a similar look to SF4, which I was already tired of seeing. Previous iterations had a pretty drastic change in style between each game. Anyway, this is isn't a rant thread, so I'll bide my time until maybe the roster picks up some interesting characters

I think you and the other guy should pick up other fighters and return when you feel like it. I feel myself getting burnt out on fighting games quick if I'm not cycling through them, especially if I'm not playing locals.

My once-favorite-but-still-shit-at-the-game Full Boost got boring because I played it far too often. Not having that issue with SFV just yet, but I think I'm going to hop on a few other games just to bring some spice to everything.

If you time it perfectly, reversals will pass through you. However, charge too late and it will hit you. Charge too early, and the game will autocorrect the reversal and hit you. But there is a perfect timing where it will both hit the player on wakeup if they do nothing/block/spam jab, and go through invulnerable moves if they try to reversal.

Still, pretty powerful.

There's a video of this from a few days ago https://youtu.be/jhT-Xxh1tTU

Whales

Banned
So guys, it's been almost 2 months. What are your opinions on FANG?

I've been playing him almost exclusively until Guile comes out and I'm really enjoying him. He can exert some damn good pressure and has pretty good normals. That cr.hp man.

Pretty sure I said it already but man FANG is really gimped against anyone with a DP that can use it to get out of his hard knockdowns tricks

Looks like he has to work waay too hard to win

Pretty sure I said it already but man FANG is really gimped against anyone with a DP that can use it to get out of his hard knockdowns tricks

Looks like he has to work waay too hard to win
Yup. Ryu is arguably his worst matchup I've found since he has literally all the tools to beat fang.

He can just stay a full screen distance away and dodge anything FANG can throw at him.

He has the tatsu to get through traps

he has the air tatsu to pre-emptively avoid stuff that FANG might throw out.

He has the DP as a wakeup option

He has the DP to break through any frametraps.

He has the 3-frame jab so one of the easiest frametraps that FANG has will always at least trade, if not get beat.

He has a fireball that he can throw at will.

His V-Trigger fireballs get particularly scary as a FANG, forcing you to stay close.

Why make a Continue cost anything??? Trying to get more colors shouldn't be full of stress and regret.

1st Continue should be free.

Any other Continue after that can cost Points but still shouldn't cost that much.

Cater to the freaking userbase that's actually playing your game. Don't slap them around. CATER to them.

that's not how survival modes work. you're asking for arcade mode with continues.

"It's easy for me so it's easy for others!" Is that your argument?

There's even a part in a Excellent Adventures episode when Gootecks sort've (very slowly) says he think Survival Mode is fun and Mike Ross rolled his eyes and flicked his hand in annoyance.

Survival Mode can burn in Hell.

Nothing more crushing than when you lose and you get NOTHING. Not even a compensation color.
That's not my argument. My argument is that in traditional survival modes you do not get to continue...that's the whole point of it. There's no reason it should be easier. If anything it should be more difficult from the start instead of it just going from ridiculously easy to suddenly a challenge.

I do however absolutely 100% agree with you that you should get something for your time. That's something I hope they implement. It would be a lot easier to accept a loss if you got fight money and xp. That's my biggest gripe with it. I've only done two hard modes and I'm always hesitant to do another because if I lose to goddamn Birdie, I'm going to be pissed.

I think you and the other guy should pick up other fighters and return when you feel like it. I feel myself getting burnt out on fighting games quick if I'm not cycling through them, especially if I'm not playing locals.

My once-favorite-but-still-shit-at-the-game Full Boost got boring because I played it far too often. Not having that issue with SFV just yet, but I think I'm going to hop on a few other games just to bring some spice to everything.

Yeah, I might give KI a try. It looks interesting

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Are the online bars for ranked broken? I took a couple of matches that were supposed to be five bars but it was a warp fest instead :/

hwateber

All these arguments that ryu is godlike makes me feel like even more of a scrub. Also feel like I need my weekly iteration that mika has brain-dead mixups once you get in :(

『Inaba Resident』;201147910 said:
jab anti airs are dumb, imo

I've actually been getting killed for trying to use it too much with Ryu. Mainly in situations where it's too late, against deep cross ups, and against far jump ins. It's a great anti air but it's not a instant win button against every kind of jump.

But anyways, I actually like that most characters have a really good jab anti air. Their fast, effective, and easy to use. Their not DP's though so you have to know when not to use them. The only thing I would think about changing is to not make these anti air normals so good against cross ups. But I don't know if that's really for the best either since it would make certain characters like Birdie a lot easier to fight and you can argue that these characters really need them to guard against cross up pressure.

Xeteh

CgMX3x5UYAAmpLw.jpg:large

Daaamn, Karin looking good.

hwateber

Anyone have tips on dealing with Dhalsim teleport? I'm alright with jabbing them but when I screw up the timing I eat a ton of damage. It just seems like a prettt low risk high reward option and I always get blown up

Xeteh

Anyone have tips on dealing with Dhalsim teleport? I'm alright with jabbing them but when I screw up the timing I eat a ton of damage. It just seems like a prettt low risk high reward option and I always get blown up

I find jabbing works really well if you jab once you hear the sound. The timing works out really well.

hwateber

Hm yeah I guess that could work. I just wish the reward was higher for making the right read. Sim teleports are harder for me to deal with than SF4 dive kicks. It's really frustrating

Sheroking

I like how the game is getting obvious, pre-emptive ragequitters who get rekt for like 20 seconds, then stand still for that tell-tale second before DCing.

I guess if they know they can't win, why play it out. :/

I like how the game is getting obvious, pre-emptive ragequitters who get rekt for like 20 seconds, then stand still for that tell-tale second before DCing.

I guess if they know they can't win, why play it out. :/

I stopped playing ranked. Will wait until the solution is in.

Shito

Wait, did Champ played the end of the round like Valle's pause was nothing and now tries to come back to it because he lost?

Tan

react with v trigger and then do something cool.
The better advice would probably be to hit training mode with your character and just test what you're comfortable pulling off in reaction to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom