• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have tips on dealing with Dhalsim teleport? I'm alright with jabbing them but when I screw up the timing I eat a ton of damage. It just seems like a prettt low risk high reward option and I always get blown up
Some characters have better options than others.
e.g, as FANG I can jab then move forward and do a "meaty" grab. Or I could do a st.hk and turn that into a frametrap which would be an advantageous position for me.

It's not as low risk as it may seem, once you know how to respond to it, it can turn into a serious momentum shift.

Xeteh

The way ChrisT talks about characters when he's doing commentary is that Ken is trash and constantly at a total disadvantage and every other character is just so damn good.

Alucrid

Banned
The way ChrisT talks about characters when he's doing commentary is that Ken is trash and constantly at a total disadvantage and every other character is just so damn good.

so he's like a more boring, less entertaining and probably 100% serious marn?

Xeteh

so he's like a more boring, less entertaining and probably 100% serious marn?

Pretty much. He's got some really good input on some things but the moment a character uses one of their strengths he immediately feels like he needs to compare it to something Ken has and talk about how everything he does with Ken needs to be PERFECT and calculated.

hwateber

Some characters have better options than others.
e.g, as FANG I can jab then move forward and do a "meaty" grab. Or I could do a st.hk and turn that into a frametrap which would be an advantageous position for me.

It's not as low risk as it may seem, once you know how to respond to it, it can turn into a serious momentum shift.
Hm yeah I think I just gotta time the meaty on his way down

I had one of my most satisfying victories in this game to date. Played this Ultra Gold Mika and lost, I did OK though. I wait a few seconds and since he's still around I hit the button to rematch, he doesn't though and lets the timer run all the way out. I face a Ryu player and beat him 2-0 and run into the Mika player again. I manage to beat him this time and he rematches immediately. Well I let the timer run out on him this time lol. I'll keep your 118 points buddy.

SMK

I had one of my most satisfying victories in this game to date. Played this Ultra Gold Mika and lost, I did OK though. I wait a few seconds and since he's still around I hit the button to rematch, he doesn't though and lets the timer run all the way out. I face a Ryu player and beat him 2-0 and run into the Mika player again. I manage to beat him this time and he rematches immediately. Well I let the timer run out on him this time lol. I'll keep your 118 points buddy.

That sounds so delicious.

hwateber

Those are my favorite lol. If they don't give me the courtesy of a rematch, I won't either

stn

Have any matchup charts been released? What's the consensus so far on the worst matchup? Is it Nash or Dhalsim vs. Zangief? Just curious since I've only played Rashid and Ryu.

Lol. Nice.

I don't blame people for doing it, but I always wonder why no one just wants to beat the person's ass again. I've mentioned it before, but maybe that's just my style.

So I'm basically trying to learn the whole cast and this week it's Chun's turn. I decided to hit up a bunch of casuals and at first I lost against the first 2 Necalli's I face. But after that I had an epiphany, all this time I've been playing characters with no (real good) reversals like Dhalsim, Alex, Bison, Fang, so I've been gun shy on defense. Making people eat ex spinning bird kicks seem so easy than just blocking. I basically win all my sets afterwords except losing to a Ken 1-2, but I ran into him again and beat him 2-0 after. Of course this isn't going to be a habit, most of the characters I really like to play sadly don't have invincible on startup moves, but it's nice to play with a new tool once in a while. Which makes me hype for Guile (gotta rep America!) and hope his ex flash kick isn't going to be jank, like this moment (though I rather have sonic hurricane over flash kick super as a critical art)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfJgS1C0ZUU&feature=player_embedded#t=04m55s

Renekton

Have any matchup charts been released? What's the consensus so far on the worst matchup? Is it Nash or Dhalsim vs. Zangief? Just curious since I've only played Rashid and Ryu.
People believe Nash>Gief and Gief>Laura are brutal.

Edit: also Mika>Alex according to Mr. Valle

qcf x2

lol @ Mika's super losing to Gief's EX grab.

What do you guys feel are the toughest matchups so far? For me it's Mika vs Necalli, Laura vs Karin and Alex vs Bison.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Placed 5th at a 32-player local tournament today. I think I just need to buckle down and actually try to get real experience using other characters. Not because I actually want to pick up a secondary, but because I think I might have less difficulty figuring out what my opponent is going for in neutral if I can play out the situation from his side. I still feel like I'm just aimlessly flailing around in footsies half the time.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Placed 5th at a 32-player local tournament today. I think I just need to buckle down and actually try to get real experience using other characters. Not because I actually want to pick up a secondary, but because I think I might have less difficulty figuring out what my opponent is going for in neutral if I can play out the situation from his side. I still feel like I'm just aimlessly flailing around in footsies half the time.
Always have two characters. The character you think is cool and the character you're actually good at.

Hm yeah I guess that could work. I just wish the reward was higher for making the right read. Sim teleports are harder for me to deal with than SF4 dive kicks. It's really frustrating
Condition yourself to react to the audio cue (sharper sound than most special attacks) and jab. Some characters still have fast enough normals on more damaging strengths too. After the jab Dhalsim is put on the defensive when he lands or ends up in a 50/50 situation, depending on who he is facing. It's a lot more risky than SFIV divekick ever were once you know what to do.

So according to Champ, Sim's IA Gale gives him advantage from +5 to +17 lmao. He can frame trap with his St.HK.
It's probably Champ being a troll. Could be true though.
Nah it's true.

Renekton

Condition yourself to react to the audio cue (sharper sound than most special attacks) and jab. Some characters still have fast enough normals on more damaging strengths too. After the jab Dhalsim is put on the defensive when he lands or ends up in a 50/50 situation, depending on who he is facing. It's a lot more risky than SFIV divekick ever were once you know what to do.
Any answer to shameless MK / MP spam?

I tried Ryu's c.HP and yolo DP with obviously disappointing results :D

Any answer to shameless MK / MP spam?

I tried Ryu's c.HP and yolo DP with obviously disappointing results :D
Counter-poke or whiff punish with quick normals, use invincible / armor moves if the pattern is predictable. You can jump in between back-to-back standing MP / MK too since the recovery is slow. Otherwise patiently walk forwards and block since they both have minimal pushback.

Renekton

Counter-poke or whiff punish with quick normals, use invincible / armor moves if the pattern is predictable. You can jump in between back-to-back standing MP / MK too since the recovery is slow. Otherwise patiently walk forwards and block since they both have minimal pushback.
Ya the jump-in gets stuffed if I'm even slightly predictable (and I'm a walking telegraph machine). It's going to be a long journey... but thanks!

qcf x2

I found an interesting combo with Alex. F+hp (counter hit), step about 1 frame forward, f+hp, vtrigger, f+hp, lp, slash.

IIRC it fills over half the stun meter. And since his vskill creates the counter hit, that's some serious mileage for something that's meterless (unless you end with ex slash or combo into super).

What gave me the idea was hoping I could do a double f+HP into something else as an anti-air, similar to how Mika can, but of course Alex's f+hp doesn't naturally knock down.

Anyway, this guy's got a lot of stuff. I think Alex is starting to feel like the first "pro" character, where the average joe is not going to be able to do what he sees on stream. The toolbox is real, the broken down van was a metaphor!

Cammy vs anybody who blocks good

Ha, I think she beats Gief pretty handily. cr HP and st HK stuff him horribly. I think she handles Laura well too, because Laura's wakeup game is bad.

It feels like every one of Nash's moves is + on block. I can never get a single hit in when he's pressing, it's like a never ending buzz saw where every attack of mine is negative priority.

It feels like every one of Nash's moves is + on block. I can never get a single hit in when he's pressing, it's like a never ending buzz saw where every attack of mine is negative priority.

Yeah he has alot of + on block normals and can special cancel to make himself + at the cost of meter by using EX sonic boom, with the first boom being +2 and second being +1. The big ones you need to keep in mind are cr.HP(+3) cr.MP(+2) and his lights obviously. ST.MP is neutral on block. All versions of moonsault are + on block so if a Nash is throwing them out in blockstrings or midscreen you need to get into the habit of jabbing him out of it, then you're at advantage to go for a meaty after his air recovery he has no invincible move other than super and no 3 frame jab.

Yeah he has alot of + on block normals and can special cancel to make himself + at the cost of meter by using EX sonic boom, with the first boom being +2 and second being +1. The big ones you need to keep in mind are cr.HP(+3) cr.MP(+2) and his lights obviously. ST.MP is neutral on block. All versions of moonsault are + on block so if a Nash is throwing them out in blockstrings or midscreen you need to get into the habit of jabbing him out of it, then you're at advantage to go for a meaty after his air recovery he has no invincible move other than super and no 3 frame jab.
Maybe it was lag but his regular moonsaults and scythes were outspeeding my jabs. :\

KingBroly

Banned
If Nash didn't have all of that safe stuff on block, he'd need to be buffed in other areas to be decent, but he still wouldn't be great. As is, he can basically chip you for a quarter of your health bar without trying much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom