• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

Hey Smoke, I think I ran into you last week in ranked. You play Birdie, right? If you remember a Ryu parrying your chain and dashing in for a sweep that was me.

And yes I very much enjoy all those meaty set ups and the invincible reversal. Half my opponents are afraid to meaty me on wake up and if they aren't I'll remind them why they should be.

Haha yeah I remember playing you. Not the particular match, but I remember saying "oh, this guy's on Neogaf." There have been a few others from here that I've played as well. I suck against Ryu lol. All of them play so differently. For some I have to worry about dash in grab. Others I have to worry about dash in dp. Some wake up all day with DP. Others wake up with sweep or dash up grab. Lol Ryu is so good. I'd love to get some more games in sometime, though, if you want. GGs btw. I'm pretty sure you bodied me? lol

qcf x2

I think Ryu's hardest matchup is probably.... Birdie.

Speaking of matchups, are there any solid or better East Coast players here who use the following: Ken, Karin, Necalli? I need to practice my worst matchups against those 3 (Cammy, Laura and Mika, respectively).

SmokeMaxX

Speaking of matchups, are there any solid or better East Coast players here who use the following: Ken, Karin, Necalli? I need to practice my worst matchups against those 3 (Cammy, Laura and Mika, respectively).
That's what people say, but it's pretty tough for Birdie imo lol. Ryu 7 frame sweep at -11 is super annoying for Birdie to deal with. Not just that, but that tool in combination with the rest of his tools.

SephLuis

I am not East Coast, but I do practice with Karin. We can try a match and see if the connection is good enough for you to train.

qcf x2

That's what people say, but it's pretty tough for Birdie imo lol. Ryu 7 frame sweep at -11 is super annoying for Birdie to deal with. Not just that, but that tool in combination with the rest of his tools.

Oh yeah, I honestly think it's still 5-5 at worst for Ryu. But I feel like Birdie can give him a rough time because he can punish fireballs from mid to 2/3 screen, his cr MP works against most of his jump ins (j lk beats it sometimes though...) and most of all his punish damage, especially with v-trigger.

A matchup can be bad (how I feel about the Laura/Karin situation), but if the character on the defensive can take over 50% health in one go then it helps. In Laura's case you can do 75% but it takes a reset which is obviously 50/50 at best. In Birdie's case it just takes a v trigger bullhorn > super, lol.

Ugh, I just don't love any of the hori options with their own lag issues, and spending $200 on a Madcatz suucks.

I have a hori fc4 pad, maybe I can put that pcb into my Ps3 te stick someday.

i have a hori kai and a hori v . i don't notice any difference between those. japanese test rate the hori v as faster in those nico/youtube test. i don't notice any difference after extensive sfv play. gotta test them yourself if you can. i think any of the native ps4 sticks are good for sfv.

mbpm1

Always a bit strange to fight a Ken who doesn't DP at all

It was to his benefit though since I gave up a ton of pressure to bait cos I didn't feel like guessing

MattJon

Two rage quitters in the space of 10 minutes, in what would have been good wins for me. This game for me has now evolved into just saving video clips and uploading to YouTube in my own personal Wall of Shame.

I'm giving up until it's fixed now, there's no enjoyment in it.

Any tips on fighting Mika's and Karin's with Nash? I hold my own pretty good with almost every other character, but when it comes to them they seem to spam pokes and slams and the whole kitchen sink until i get enough V-Trigger or V-Skill to teleport away, but then the whole match resets with them closing in and it gets frustrating because it seems like theres nothing I can do to slow them down other than to run and keep the space and pray for a opening

Ugh, I just don't love any of the hori options with their own lag issues, and spending $200 on a Madcatz suucks.

I have a hori fc4 pad, maybe I can put that pcb into my Ps3 te stick someday.

The newer hori revisions with x-input have lag almost on par with the MadCatz offerings and very similar to the fc4.

SmokeMaxX

Any, lol. Apart from Laura's EX grab I can never land them, and I think it's my technique more than anything.

Let's go with Mika tho. I kinda wanna learn her.

Generally speaking, if you're getting hit while going for your command grab, put yourself in a situation where you're +2 or +3 and then go for it. They can still jump out of it, but they're not going to hit you out of it (well, unless you're +2 and going for a 6 frame or slower command grab or something). Mika has a lot of setups for her command grabs. The most common one is charged heavy kick, opponent blocks, immediately go for command grab. That will work at lower levels although you can still get DPd and they can still jump out of it.

Vice

Any, lol. Apart from Laura's EX grab I can never land them, and I think it's my technique more than anything.

Let's go with Mika tho. I kinda wanna learn her.

The most efficient way is to condition your opponent to block. For the first two or three time when you get a knockdown on them hit them with a regular, safe, attack. They'll learn to block on their wakeup and after that you can start throwing on their wake up.

A jumping light and then an immediate command grab when you land will work a lot at low levels.

After an anti-air, in Mika's case her little headbutt, as soon as the opponent lands close to you command grab. It's very surprising, it will be less effective the better your opponent is so you won't be able to use it all the time. Still works well though.

Learn your ranges and which moves keep your opponent standing when they're done. A lot of people will hold back to block during combos incase you drop one. Stopping a combo short and then command grabbing works well. Or when you use a move that pushes them to the max range of your command grab on block and then grabbing will also work quite often.

FACE

Banned
* blocks Ken's CA *

* gets immediately hit off Shoryureppa before my Necalli jab connects off block *

Bout to sell this game.

If you can't punish a CA on block then maybe you should.

Or you could go into training mode and practice that stuff.

Can anyone tell me if I'm getting the correct height on IA legs? iwas trying to figure out options for Birdie to deal with it at a slight range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBYEWAyIL0Q

Video is private.

If I recall correctly, the best way of knowing if you're doing it correctly is to set the dummy to crouch and see if it hits twice.

Shouta

If you can't punish a CA on block then maybe you should.

Or you could go into training mode and practice that stuff.

Video is private.

If I recall correctly, the best way of knowing if you're doing it correctly is to set the dummy to crouch and see if it hits twice.

Changed it to unlisted. I thought it was unlisted before too. -_-

I'd love to get some more games in sometime, though, if you want. GGs btw. I'm pretty sure you bodied me? lol

Sure I'd love some games if we both got time. As for the game we played, I did win.

As for Ryu's match ups, a lot of people say Birdie is pretty bad for Ryu, especially after those videos of Crusher destroying Daigo came out. I personally never thought it was that bad. Only slight advantage Birdie, but I'm not a high level player playing other high level players. Other than Birdie I think a bunch of characters can make Ryu's life hard. But they're probably not even bad match ups, just even and I'm more annoyed that I don't have as much control of the match up as I'd like.

SmokeMaxX

Sure I'd love some games if we both got time. As for the game we played, I did win.

As for Ryu's match ups, a lot of people say Birdie is pretty bad for Ryu, especially after those videos of Crusher destroying Daigo came out. I personally never thought it was that bad. Only slight advantage Birdie, but I'm not a high level player playing other high level players. Other than Birdie I think a bunch of characters can make Ryu's life hard. But they're probably not even bad match ups, just even and I'm more annoyed that I don't have as much control of the match up as I'd like.

What's your PSN? I'll add you next time I'm online. Same as here?

qcf x2

* blocks Ken's CA *

* gets immediately hit off Shoryureppa before my Necalli jab connects off block *

Bout to sell this game.

Why would you hit jab? What were you going to do after the jab? From a blocked super you can hit your strongest button. Tbh if the timing is hard for you you can mash and the game will give it to you, but I'm thinking maybe you anticipated it having a long cooldown like ultras in SF4...

Thanks again for the matches SephLuis. I'll add you on PSN so we can get some matches another day, hopefully with a slightly better connection. I feel like I got some knowledge out of the sets.

I wouldn't say pretty bad, I'd say even. I feel like Ryu is currently 6-4 with just about everybody, possible exceptions being Birdie, Nash and Sim, though the last 2 are not based on my personal experience as I don't use those characters (yet). I disagree with people who think he's unfair or a tier above everybody else...even the best Ryu players will whiff a baited DP, it's up to the opponent to punish. Apart from Fang, I can't really think of an opponent that wouldn't be able to instantly turn the tide against Ryu.

Freakin Fang... I hope Capcom reworks his current vtrigger so it makes his Ryubenda last longer and his fireball faster. I'm ok w/ his vskill as it is since you can use it at no cost, but he's got the most uninspired vtrigger imaginable. It's like they couldn't come up with anything.

Quesa

Tasty Steve: "This man is about to timeout Justin Wong!"

seconds later: "you really thought you were gonna time out Justin Wong?"

Any tips on fighting Mika's and Karin's with Nash? I hold my own pretty good with almost every other character, but when it comes to them they seem to spam pokes and slams and the whole kitchen sink until i get enough V-Trigger or V-Skill to teleport away, but then the whole match resets with them closing in and it gets frustrating because it seems like theres nothing I can do to slow them down other than to run and keep the space and pray for a opening

I still have trouble with them as well but not so much Karin anymore. All I can say is when I am successful against a good Mika it's because I'm running and zoning. when she gets in close neutral jump or whatever you can do to avoid the throw.

Once you're in the corner, you aren't playing Street Fighter anymore. You're questioning the meaning of life and your existence while hating both. You can't tech command throws so I don't know why they just don't spam this over and over but they tend to try and mix it up with a crush counter or booty combo.

Karin is becoming a little easier for me. At first her combos were a series of random arms and legs hitting you for a huge combo and CA finisher. I realize now that she has some easy mode canned one button instant noodle combos with small variations and are easy to see coming if you know where to look. Like Mika though, her jump is short so she's harder to anti-air.

Also, it's a good thing when she anti-airs with that EX spinny thing because she just wasted bar. I'd rather get hit with that than to take a CA after her long combo string that the other guy sipped a Coke during.

I bought my PS4 for pretty much only SFV and don't really do much besides play ranked so I don't know what the best way to add people is lol. I assumed PSN is best, but is CFN easier?

PSN is easier just because we know when each other are online instead of randomly running into each other on GAF. I only said CFN because that's what everybody else always ask each other for around here.

I wouldn't say pretty bad, I'd say even. I feel like Ryu is currently 6-4 with just about everybody, possible exceptions being Birdie, Nash and Sim, though the last 2 are not based on my personal experience as I don't use those characters (yet).

Oh yeah I forgot about Nash. I actually think he might be Ryu's hardest match up because he negates Ryu's fireball game and it's not easy to get in on him since Ryu doesn't have the kind of tools to get him in safely. Sim is also tough and could be one of those guys that has a slight advantage against Ryu.

PSN is easier just because we know when each other are online instead of randomly running into each other on GAF. I only said CFN because that's what everybody else always each other for around here.
Because there are a lot of PC players, myself included and we obviously won't be found on PSN.

Oh yeah I forgot about Nash. I actually think he might be Ryu's hardest match up becaue he negates Ryu's fireball game and it's not easy to get in on him since Ryu doesn't have the kind of tools to get him in safely. Sim is also tough and could be one of those guys that has a slight advantage against Ryu.
Of all the characters, Ryu is one of the easiest for me, partly because I know him so well and everything else you just mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom