• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

They really should have put a system in so RQers lose 75-100lp while the winner gets 50lp imo.

The thing is that, especially with the fact that the server can screw itself up sometimes, this would punish players who have genuine disconnections for no reason. Something like it could be implemented without punishing the disconnecting player, though, like awarding the opponent their points, but there still needs to be a punishment put in place for serial rage quitters (observed by high disconnect rates).

The solution needs to take into account possibilities of an actual network issue, and that's what this is doing in theory. But I'm getting bad vibes from it, because this might not be all that effective. The timeout period needs to be elaborated upon. The amount of disconnects to get to that state needs to be elaborated upon.

VariantX

How much time will they be locked out for? Thats not much of a deterrent since they still don't lose anything for quitting and the other person still gets robbed of a win.

BiggNife

How much time will they be locked out for? Thats not much of a deterrent since they still don't lose anything for quitting and the other person still gets robbed of a win.

If it's a 10-20 minute lockout I can see it being a deterrent. Anything less than 10 probably won't do much.

vg260

"We’re also happy to announce that we will be implementing a system to punish players who frequently disconnect during matches (aka rage quitters).

The way this will work is the system will identify players who have high disconnect rates during matches and will lock them out of matchmaking for a period of time. Players who have been identified as abusing the system will receive an in-game message notifying them they have been locked out of matchmaking. More additions and enhancements to this system will be implemented in the future."

I can't see this being much of a deterrent if at all. so, they just stop playing for a while come back, and repeat. It will not deter casual rage quitters, which is the problem.

The reason they quit is to avoid a loss. If you quit, you need to lose LP and FM, and the winner needs to win them. That's is what will keep people from quitting. Combine this lockout solution with that, and it should be enough.

Neoxon

I'm loving the new classic stage. Hopefully this means that more classic stages from past Street Fighter games will return.

hamchan

Rage quitters locked out. Well, at least it's something.
I would have preferred the winner to just get points and the rage quitter to just lose points.

I guess the assumption is that a person who RQs is probably a person who plays often enough to care about their standing.

But if you think about it, using this in conjunction with the current system that is suppose to drop people down in points who abuse it would be some smart shit. Dude rage quits too much, gets put in time out for a day, and then Capcom can evaluate for further action.

So if it works like that, where people are put in timeout until further punishment can be decided, it could seriously help deter RQers. The only issue is the other person not getting any sort of compensation. I know they are afraid of getting into trouble dinging people who aren't RQing, since this stuff is basically money that's spent on the store, but I really feel that they should be more strict about it.

Quesa

It's the "high frequency" thing that bugs me. People will try to figure out how many RQs a day/week they can get away with. That's not a good solution.

FluxWaveZ

I don't get why it can't just be like Super Smash Bros. 4 if they're going this route. Rage quit from a single match? You need to wait 5 minutes to play again. Under this SFV system, players would need to rage quit a high number of matches for a proportional punishment, which is not good.

But, again, it depends on the actual values of the "high d/c rates" and the length of the timeout period.

At least they said they would keep working to improve their new system. At the least i hope it works and initially brings down the amount of rage quits.

It's the "high frequency" thing that bugs me. People will try to figure out how many RQs a day/week they can get away with. That's not a good solution.

If they keep the current system and use this to expand upon it, it actually could work in terms of knocking down RQers. They'll try to abuse the system, get put in time out, snicker at the thought of coming back on, and then get bopped in points when Capcom sees that they keep abusing it.

I'd like to think this is their way to figuring out who's doing it the most and nab those people, but we will see.

hamchan

Pretty much. These people even getting away with one loss per day would be bad. Everyone gets a free ragequit per day!

SSReborn

At least they said they would keep working to improve their new system. At the least i hope it works and initially brings down the amount of rage quits.

I'm hoping it will have a slight effect if any I mean after your locked out of matchmaking what else is there really left to do lol

vg260

Yup. It's crazy this was never an issue in 4, but they seem to have implemented netcode that doesn't allow the loser of a RQ match to immediately get docked.

Quesa

I don't get why it can't just be like Super Smash Bros. 4 if they're going this route. Rage quit from a single match? You need to wait 5 minutes to play again. Under this SFV system, players would need to rage quit a high number of matches for a proportional punishment, which is not good.

But, again, it depends on the actual values of the "high d/c rates" and the length of the timeout period.

The way they've handled this leads me to believe their online infrastructure isn't built to handle reactions that immediate. Think about how your ranking updates like once a day. The only thing that updates immediately is LP, which you'd think would mean they could just dole out LPs for a loss to a RQ, but DCs seem to nix that idea. My guess is we'll have an online overhaul near the end of the year.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm more interested in whether they actually manage to fix the matchmaking. It's been fucked for me since like Day 3 of release.

"We're only 5 times as slow as Pokken Tournament now, we promise!"

Considering that it's still based on an old arcade style of finding people, it's not going to be great. But every fighting game should copy Pokken Tournament now IMO.

Guile's Stage is too expensive, but I guess that's par for the course for SF5.

Considering that it's still based on an old arcade style of finding people, it's not going to be great. But every fighting game should copy Pokken Tournament now IMO.

You could just do Guile's Story/Trials/ easy and normal survivals and get at least half for that stage. Guile is free till the zenny store hits after all.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, many games have it like that. The amount of time increases with every disconnect. It's a great solution in my opinion.:

Cf8oQShW4AAqv6g.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/Arteezy/status/720338733875105792

Mediking

70,000 FM is expensive as hell for a stage but then we have our 1 million FM because we're on the PC version ayyyyyy

Soooo not fair..... I'm on PS4 and I got the Season Pass so the unfair prices don't bother me that much but if I didn't have the Season Pass... I would be pretty upset. You gotta earn tons of FM to keep up.

KingBroly

Banned
Soooo not fair..... I'm on PS4 and I got the Season Pass so the unfair prices don't bother me that much but if I didn't have the Season Pass... I would be pretty upset. You gotta earn tons of FM to keep up.

If I were you, I'd be more upset at Capcom for releasing an incomplete game with not enough content to earn enough fight money to keep up.

And once again, it seems like in-game challenges are MIA

Yeah, many games have it like that. The amount of time increases with every disconnect. It's a great solution in my opinion.:

https://twitter.com/Arteezy/status/720338733875105792
To be fair, the time lost for disconnecting or not accepting a match in Dota can range from 4x to 20x more than the time lost for not finishing/accepting a Street Fighter match.
If I were you, I'd be more upset at Capcom for releasing an incomplete game with not enough content to earn enough fight money to keep up.

I don't think lack of ways to get FM is the issue here. With guile and Alex being temporarily free, that's more free FM that you're getting.

And to be honest, I'd rather they fix the core of the game i.e, matchmaking and online before they start adding/fixing the SP modes.

Shito

Man, calm down, I can understand you are being upset, but you are taking this way too seriously.
When nearly all of your posts in a given thread are about bashing a game, I think it's safe taking a step back and get some fresh air or play another game. ^^

HiResDes

Damn why didn't anyone tell you could save replays of anyone you want and watch specific matchups by top players playing your characters to figure out how to fight things and makeup for bad matchups. I've been watching lots of Poongko play my character and it's crazy how easy he makes it look with his fantastic spacing and reactions. He doesn't do anything fancy though and I can do every combo he can at will, but the small things are what make the biggest difference between mastering a character and being shit. Anyway, since discovering this replay system I went from Super Bronze to Silver just today. Pretty hyped on it. I've found a new way to learn.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, the time lost for disconnecting or not accepting a match in Dota can range from 4x to 20x more than the time lost for not finishing/accepting a Street Fighter match.
So? You adjust it to the game, what's your point? If you connect 5 times in a short amount of time, you should be blocked forever. Once (or an actual disconnect) should only be a few minutes.

KingBroly

Banned
Man, calm down, I can understand you are being upset, but you are taking this way too seriously.
When nearly all of your posts in a given thread are about bashing a game, I think it's safe taking a step back and get some fresh air or play another game. ^^

I am calm. And I am playing another game because I don't have anything else to do in SF5. I'm playing Dark Souls 2. Yeah, 2.

So? You adjust it to the game, what's your point? If you connect 5 times in a short amount of time, you should be blocked forever. Once (or an actual disconnect) should only be a few minutes.
Well maybe not forever, but you're right.

I guess I didn't have a point lol.

mbpm1

it has come to a point where a new character is positively received if his/her hair does not remind you of a certain kind of food

I mean it would be just sad if XCOM 2 had better Guile hair than Street Fighter V, they already have a better Thin Man than FANG

Guile looks hype as hell (for zoning character users like me)

Shito

Damn why didn't anyone tell you could save replays of anyone you want and watch specific matchups by top players playing your characters to figure out how to fight things and makeup for bad matchups. I've been watching lots of Poongko play my character and it's crazy how easy he makes it look with his fantastic spacing and reactions. He doesn't do anything fancy though and I can do every combo he can at will, but the small things are what make the biggest difference between mastering a character and being shit. Anyway, since discovering this replay system I went from Super Bronze to Silver just today. Pretty hyped on it. I've found a new way to learn.
I'm no Cammy expert, but Poongko's playstyle in SFV is still pretty reckless and... rough.
I'm sure some Cammy players in here will be able to give you some names of really solid Cammy's to follow. :)

I am calm. And I am playing another game because I don't have anything else to do in SF5. I'm playing Dark Souls 2. Yeah, 2.
DS2 is fine, not the best but really not as bad as people make it out to be.
Loved doing challenge runs on it, I have fond memories of my fists only run and can't wait to replicate it on DS3 once I've finished a first playthrough... :)

Ehhhhhhh.... whoever is doing OT4 needs to do something new and eye-catching and fun.

I vote you.

I don't think anyone will disagree.
I wouldn't mind doing it again tbh. I would completely re-do the OP anyway :p
I like how they use this in the blog post:

But there are no custom intro/win animations this time...
I hope they'll add stuff like this as part of the games as a service model. Would be nice.

vg260

A character is 100,000 FM ($5) and the stage is 70,000 (~$3.50), which seems perfectly reasonable to me. Stages probably take a lot more work to make than people think, otherwise we'd probably see a lot more in games than we do. I don't think we'll see a huge volume or anything comparable in quantity to the costumes.

It's the individual character costumes at 40,000 FM ($4) that seem way overpriced.

HiResDes

I'm no Cammy expert, but Poongko's playstyle in SFV is still pretty reckless and... rough.
I'm sure some Cammy players in here will be able to give you some names of really solid Cammy's to follow. :)

DS2 is fine, not the best but really not as bad as people make it out to be.
Loved doing challenge runs on it, I have fond memories of my fists only run and can't wait to replicate it on DS3 once I've finished a first playthrough... :)

Yeah it does look a bit sloppy, but I feel like against certain characters if you play too safe you put yourself in a hole and don't keep them honest. Like I perfected by a Gold Laura today and felt completely helpless waiting for openings and realized there were countless times where I could have cannon spiked presumably, same thing against Mika. He definitely does just spam jab and throw from close range against some characters though.

Of course it'll be expensive. They want you to spend your FM on cosmetics so you won't have enough for characters.

FluxWaveZ

Afaik from other devs, trying to know who dc is not feasible so the next best option is to go after habitual dcing to punish rage quitters.

But there are several examples, even in fighting games, of games punishing the person who disconnected and being able to specifically tell who disconnected and who didn't.

As Quesa said, though:
The way they've handled this leads me to believe their online infrastructure isn't built to handle reactions that immediate. Think about how your ranking updates like once a day. The only thing that updates immediately is LP, which you'd think would mean they could just dole out LPs for a loss to a RQ, but DCs seem to nix that idea. My guess is we'll have an online overhaul near the end of the year.
It could be something specific with how SFV's network was created, and how it doesn't allow for this kind of system.

In that case, they could at least expose disconnect rates for each player as one of the regular stats on the VS screen. And, hopefully, they've correctly adjusted the timeout period and d/c % to get to that point so that it actually makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom