• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTopo

Banned
KING-SOLOMON is a rage quitter! Nice work, buddy. Great Cammy!

Would be a shame if someone bodied the fuck out of her.

Coward.

I've never rage quit on anyone and I never will but as someone just watching the video, I wanted to rage quit on you as well.

Mika is cheap garbage.

I really hope that Spazchicken is trying to be funny. The Cammy player was complete trash. Had no understanding of footsies, just knew to do EX Hooligan, a move that can easily be anti-aired, to get in. Admiral had a decent Mika that punished that trash Cammy. Simple as that.

Zackat

I went on a 10 game win streak then got a Draw game in a mirror match with another Birdie. That was awesome. I am sure he thought I was going to rage quit at any moment.

You totally lose your winstreak to draw games too. :(

sixghost

Man, there were very few mixups in that video... One of them that was tried was successfully blocked. I don't get why people get so damn salty at Mika. Would people get as upset if instead of punishing with a rope toss into the corner, and following up with her Wingless Airplane, she punished with something like Bison's hp, mp, Psycho Inferno combo? They probably do close to the same damage.

People seem to lose their mind with Mika. Like, her combos are somehow more galling. Yes, she can mix you up. However, half of the cast in this game have a strong frame trap game. How is that monumentally different? It is all about deception.

So what character isn't cheap? Each character has a place where they are strong. Why is Mika's strength "cheap"? If she were breaking the game I would totally side with you, but that is CLEARLY not the case.
I don't even know where her weaknesses are. I've heard people in here say that she has a hard time getting in, and her normals aren't great, but that never seems to be the case when I play against her. It feels like you eat one rope toss then you're in the corner and dead.

You think Nash is bad, wait til you match up against high tier Chun Li.
As much as I love destroying Gief, I do think he should have been given a quick dash or something. He's pretty helpless against a zoner.

Kinda like someone in he corner against R. Mika...

k1681305.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I don't even know where her weaknesses are. I've heard people in here say that she has a hard time getting in, and her normals aren't great, but that never seems to be the case when I play against her.

MIKA!?

Some of you need to calm down. Mika doesn't have weaknesses; are you kidding me. Try to play Mika and her weaknesses will quickly become apparent. Yes, she has a hard time getting in. If it's never the case when you play against her, it's because you're bad at not letting her get in. Straight up.

Kouichi

Whew after starting the day with a frustrating loss streak that almost tossed me out of super bronze, I pushed forth and finally ranked up to ultra bronze! As frustrating as all those losses were, I didn't let it discourage me. I took break and came back, going 50/50 for a while until I finally got a win steak going. I'm glad I got over my fear of losing and kept at it. It felt really good.

mbpm1

As much as I love destroying Gief, I do think he should have been given a quick dash or something. He's pretty helpless against a zoner.

Kinda like someone in he corner against R. Mika...

k1681305.jpg

He's not helpless against a zoner, just Nash and Chun and sometimes Sim

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BTW does anyone knows Snake Eyez CFN id ?

Wanna learn from the best.
#TeamGief

Whew after starting the day with a frustrating loss streak that almost tossed me out of super bronze, I pushed forth and finally ranked up to ultra bronze! As frustrating as all those losses were, I didn't let it discourage me. I took break and came back, going 50/50 for a while until I finally got a win steak going. I'm glad I got over my fear of losing and kept at it. It felt really good.
Keep at it! :D hopefully one day I will be free of Bronze and ascend to Super Bronze and beyond.

If you want some longer form theory crafting videos from the ground up, James Chen has a SFV playlist up
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45-KVgrSkf4X981AoUKPlz34VNnJFhYp

No shame in living in the 500-1000 LP bracket though

You press slide / walk up throw with characters like Vega all the way up to 1000-2000 lp, so I really think people should try and work out of the 500-1000 lp bracket.

On another note, I didn't know till recently that Vega's slide is always very unsafe. At best it's like -7, most characters can always punish it with a special or combo. Ken can always EX DP for instance.

Renekton

You press slide / walk up throw with characters like Vega all the way up to 1000-2000 lp, so I really think people should try and work out of the 500-1000 lp bracket.

On another note, I didn't know till recently that Vega's slide is always very unsafe. At best it's like -7, most characters can always punish it with a special or combo. Ken can always EX DP for instance.
I think it's like Sim's slide where it's safer at max distances.

sixghost

MIKA!?

Some of you need to calm down. Mika doesn't have weaknesses; are you kidding me. Try to play Mika and her weaknesses will quickly become apparent. Yes, she has a hard time getting in. If it's never the case when you play against her, it's because you're bad at not letting her get in. Straight up.

How should I be dealing with the dropkick and that forward rolling normal she has? Both of those seem to put me at the disadvantage while getting her in the range she wants to be.

Spman2099

I don't even know where her weaknesses are. I've heard people in here say that she has a hard time getting in, and her normals aren't great, but that never seems to be the case when I play against her. It feels like you eat one rope toss then you're in the corner and dead.

She has some okay normals, but for the most part they are all really short range (she is rocking those T-Rex limbs). Anything that she has with range is incredibly unsafe (with the sole exception of the normal that she has to telegraph heavily to MAKE safe). Characters with good normals (Nash, Ryu, Chun, Bison, Gief) can keep her out exceptionally well. Her AA is good, but it leads to very little damage. Basically, she relies heavily on tick throws and the crossup into the rope toss. Her damage is solid, be she has to hit you with a good four rope tosses before you are dead (and that is if she successfully lands the mixup each time off of the wall bounce). Lastly, when she doesn't have EX her wakeup is incredibly weak.

FluxWaveZ

How should I be dealing with the dropkick and that forward rolling normal she has? Both of those seem to put me at the disadvantage while getting her in the range she wants to be.

The charged dropkick is easily telegraphed, so you backdash away from it, jump over it, or find a normal that stuffs it out.

Her crouching HP is normally not plus on block unless the Mika is deliberately spacing it out (and, from what you're saying, I bet the Mikas you're going against usually don't), so you can mash jab and hit her after blocking it.

I think it's like Sim's slide where it's safer at max distances.

No that's what I mean, it's actually not especially safe even at max distance. Even at pixel perfect max distance it's -5 but that requires it to be frame perfect (hitting on the very final active frame of its hitbox), usually it will vary between -5 and -8, all of which very unsafe.

Especially when you consider that even with perfect spacing most characters can reach with a lightpunch, so any 4 frame lightpunch > special will usually do, better yet, you can just raw super it. Characters like Ken can simply EX DP it every time for good damage.

The idea that it's safe when spaced correctly is a misconception that I held and I think others hold, and it's caused me to fail to punish it on more than one occasion, thinking the Vega player used it at a safe distance.

ElTopo

Banned

All of this Mika salt is hilarious, holy shit.

Her Dropkick is easy as fuck to stop, have none of you ever gone into training mode to test shit? You can Jab or even crouch Jab Mika out of it, you can do SRK or EX Reversal to stop it, you can neutral jump, can even backdash it and still have enough time to punish it. It's not hard.

All of these dudes whining and saying that would ragequit on a Mika would get their asses annihilated in a fighting game where command grabs are really good.

Mika has no good ways of getting in without using Nadeshiko and even using Nadeshiko carries some risks. Plus using Nadeshiko as a way just to get in can be wasteful as Nadeshiko is Mika's greatest tool and can allow her to come back in a big way. Without Nadeshiko, Mika is forced to either jump in, do something very risky like HP Peach from max range, or walk in and pre-preemptively block.

She doesn't an overhead that can be safe at max range, she doesn't have true blockstrings, she doesn't have a fireball, and she doesn't have a move like LP Bolt -which is safe-ish and allows a free frametrap/mixup on hit-. She doesn't have a banana or a coke can, or an EX Bullhead that can be made totally safe with V-Trigger. She definitely doesn't have a Parry that can absorb multiple hits.

If you're losing to a Mika than you're getting out-played. Simple as that. Accept defeat.

Renekton

Her Dropkick is easy as fuck to stop, have none of you ever gone into training mode to test shit? You can Jab or even crouch Jab Mika out of it, you can do SRK or EX Reversal to stop it, you can neutral jump, can even backdash it and still have enough time to punish it. It's not hard.

All of these dudes whining and saying that would ragequit on a Mika would get their asses annihilated in a fighting game where command grabs are really good.

Mika has no good ways of getting in without using Nadeshiko and even using Nadeshiko carries some risks. Plus using Nadeshiko as a way just to get in can be wasteful as Nadeshiko is Mika's greatest tool and can allow her to come back in a big way. Without Nadeshiko, Mika is forced to either jump in, do something very risky like HP Peach from max range, or walk in and pre-preemptively block.

She doesn't an overhead that can be safe at max range, she doesn't have true blockstrings, she doesn't have a fireball, and she doesn't have a move like LP Bolt -which is safe-ish and allows a free frametrap/mixup on hit-. She doesn't have a banana or a coke can, or an EX Bullhead that can be made totally safe with V-Trigger. She definitely doesn't have a Parry that can absorb multiple hits.

If you're losing to a Mika than you're getting out-played. Simple as that. Accept defeat.
Didn't you have major beef with Laura a few pages back?

I really hope that Spazchicken is trying to be funny. The Cammy player was complete trash. Had no understanding of footsies, just knew to do EX Hooligan, a move that can easily be anti-aired, to get in. Admiral had a decent Mika that punished that trash Cammy. Simple as that.

I appreciate the compliment, but I'm decent on a REAL good day. I took a lot of nonsense even in that short round, ugh.

But seriously, any type of patience or reversal sends Mika right back to Square One. Hell, a neutral jump will break my chief damage dealer and if I figure THAT out? Just tap tap tap me out of every combo. Even with full bars and Nadeshiko, it just takes a block to stop her. Command Grabs don't combo into anything and almost always result in a reset.

Stay back! Poke and retreat!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
MIKA!?

lmao, this. I've mained Mika since the game came out and she is very, very far from top tier. She's good, but has no invincible wakeup options, so if you get her down, you're at a strong advantage. Her anti-air game is average, unless people are very obvious about jumping in from half screen. And she has no good projectile counter and really has to work to close gaps.

Stop being bad and pushing buttons and getting blown up. Because yeah, rope toss is an easy combo and knockdown and then you're literally on the ropes. That's how it works. It's like complaining Ryu is OP because he can fireball and then DP you. That's the game.

Xeteh

It'd be fun to discuss match-ups without people constantly underselling their character and overselling the ones they have trouble with.

ElTopo

Banned
Didn't you have major beef with Laura a few pages back?

I complained that Laura is based on the vortex and she has easy ways to get in to start the vortex -which is true-. I just find it funny that I complain about how braindead Laura can get, no one bats an eye. People whine about Mika -a character that doesn't have nearly as many great tools to get in unlike Laura- and they get supported.

It'd be fun to discuss match-ups without people constantly underselling their character and overselling the ones they have trouble with.

I'm not trying to undersell Mika, you let me get a f.MP in and you're going for a ride. But a big part of progressing means learning other characters, especially ones you have problems fighting.

I have problems with patient Ryu players, so I've been trying to learn Ryu better to figure out how to get around him. If I had a problem with Mika, I'd absolutely learn her next. Not to some crazy level, just enough to see the weaknesses.

Next is Vega, though. Maaaan, that rolly shit gets me every time.

SmokeMaxX

Errr Mika is really good. Not "best in the game" status, but IMO definitely top tier. She can kill you off one knockdown. Not many characters can say that. It's true that people fighting against Mika need to do a better job of keeping her out, but people fighting with Mika also need to do a better job of getting her in. She's an absolute monster up close since she can frame trap for DAYS. Without a command grab, she probably still wouldn't be the worst character in the game.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I complained that Laura is based on the vortex and she has easy ways to get in to start the vortex -which is true-. I just find it funny that I complain about how braindead Laura can get, no one bats an eye. People whine about Mika -a character that doesn't have nearly as many great tools to get in unlike Laura- and they get supported.

Because people are bad and don't learn matchups. I've been salty about characters before, because they're always the characters you see the least (FANG and Vega, for example), but I'm mad at my own lack of knowledge on the matchup more than anything. Go into training mode, try punishing their moves. See what's safe and what isn't. Go on youtube. Getting mad at Mika for being OP is just embarrassing yourself.

ElTopo

Banned
I appreciate the compliment, but I'm decent on a REAL good day. I took a lot of nonsense even in that short round, ugh.

But seriously, any type of patience or reversal sends Mika right back to Square One. Hell, a neutral jump will break my chief damage dealer and if I figure THAT out? Just tap tap tap me out of every combo. Even with full bars and Nadeshiko, it just takes a block to stop her. Command Grabs don't combo into anything and almost always result in a reset.

Stay back! Poke and retreat!

Cammy can be rough especially when she has super. But I welcome bodying terrible Cammy players who do wakeup SRK and random EX Hooligan.

Mika's pokes are pretty good in that matchup. You can do 2LK than 6MK variations thereof like 2MP than 6MK or 6MK than 2LK. Good poke strings. Again, not a true combo but it can catch dudes off guard if they're pressing buttons.

SmokeMaxX

Because people are bad and don't learn matchups. I've been salty about characters before, because they're always the characters you see the least (FANG and Vega, for example), but I'm mad at my own lack of knowledge on the matchup more than anything. Go into training mode, try punishing their moves. See what's safe and what isn't. Go on youtube. Getting mad at Mika for being OP is just embarrassing yourself.

Mika is far scarier up close than Laura. That's not even a contest.

Spman2099

Errr Mika is really good. Not "best in the game" status, but IMO definitely top tier. She can kill you off one knockdown. Not many characters can say that. It's true that people fighting against Mika need to do a better job of keeping her out, but people fighting with Mika also need to do a better job of getting her in. She's an absolute monster up close since she can frame trap for DAYS. Without a command grab, she probably still wouldn't be the worst character in the game.

It is still WAY too early to say either way, but I would be surprised if she was above mid tier when the dust settles. I also would't say that she is the most lethal character on knockdown. Or even particularly exceptional there. Necalli is WAY scarier in that situation.

I would be willing to bet that we won't see more than a single Mika in the top eight of Final Round.

I don't necessarily want my character buffed, or anyone nerfed. But I would take a buff nerf sandwich for Necalli. I'll give up the divekick for better cg damage or a couple less frames on block for one of those dash attacks. He's so jack of all trades right now, master of none.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom